TAC 2017 - Mike (Albanian, Old English)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Michael
Re: TAC 2017 - Mike (Albanian, Greek, Azerbaijani)

Postby Michael » 2017-04-02, 19:13

[flag=]sq[/flag] As I've reached the ½-point milestone in my study of Albanian, it's time for me to branch out into lyrics translation. My first one, for starters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jARTX-driAM

Makina e memoriës vrapon në kujtime
Në çastët e jetës që endëm të dy
Dhe ditët rreshqasin, e syrit i fshihen
Dhe rendin e rendin, humbasin diku

The car of remembrance drives to the memories
To the moments of life in which we both roamed
The days slip away and disappear from view
And they lose their order, their order somewhere

Makina e memoriës si era
Humbet nëpër mjegull, mbi të fluturoja
Me sy të përgjumur kërkoj nga dritarja
Diku të ndaloja…
Ti mblidhja kujtimet, aty ti fiksoja
Mundohem mundohem, ti gjej nëpër vitë
Kujtimet kalojnë…
…po kujtimet kalojnë (3x)

The car of remembrance, like the wind
Gets losts somewhere through the fog, I float above you
I search from the window with tired eyes
For somewhere for me to rest…
For me to gather the memories, to compose myself there
I toil I toil, to find through the years
The memories pass…
…and the memories pass (3x)

Dhe ti qeshje, ti këndoje
Psherëtije në heshtje dhe qaje
Me lotet që të ndrinin në sy
Dhe më flisje, ëndërroje
Dhe tregoje, tregoje
Të vërtetat trillime që jetuam të dy
…dhe kujtimet kalojnë (3x)

And you laughed, you sang
You breathed in the silence and cried
With tears that sparkled in your eyes
And you said to me, you were dreaming
And you admitted, you admitted
The true fables the two of us had been living
…and the memories pass (3x)

Fragmente kujtimesh më dalin përpara
Në skena qiellore me diell a me shi
Çapitem i lodhur të ulem mës tyre
Ato më largohen—largohesh dhe ti

Fragments of memories leave before me
With sun or with rain in the heavens
I grow tired of sitting between them
They leave me—so do you

Fragmente sensuale që era
Si gjethet e vjeshtës i shkundi nga pema,
Piktura që koha ngjyrosi në mendje
Sikur ti ndaloja…
Ti mblidhja të gjitha në krahë ti mbuloja
Mundohem mundohem ti gjej nëpër vitë
Kujtimet kalojnë…
…po kujtimet kalojnë

Sensual fragments that the wind
Shook from the tree like autumn leaves,
Pictures that the weather illustrated in my mind
I would surely break down…
To pick it all up, to hide it in my arms
I toil I toil to find that through life
The memories pass…
…and the memories pass

Dhe ti qeshje, ti kendoje
Psherëtije në heshtje dhe qaje
Me lotet që të ndrinin në sy
Dhe më flisje, ëndërroje
Dhe tregoje, tregoje
Të vërtetat trillimet që jetuam të dy

And you laughed, you sang
You breathed in the silence and cried
With tears that sparkled in your eyes
And you said to me, you were dreaming
And you admitted, you admitted
The true fables the two of us had been living

Më afroje, më largoje
Më humbisje dhe prapë më takoje
Më puthje në buzë si fëmijë
Më thërrisje dhe më prisje
Dhe kërkoje, kërkoje
Të vërtetat trillime ti jetojmë përsëri
…po kujtimet kalojnë…
Dhe kujtimet kalojnë (2x)
Kalojnë, kalojnë, kalojnë

You closed up to me, you left me
You missed me and would come to see me again
You'd kiss me on the lips like [you would] a child
You'd call me and wait for me
And you wanted, you wanted
For us to live real fables again
…and the memories pass…
And the memories pass (2x)
They pass, they pass, they pass

Makina e memoriës vrapon në kujtime
Në çastët e jetës që endëm të dy
Dhe ditët rreshqasin e syrit i fshihen
Dhe rendin e rendin, humbasin diku

The car of remembrance drives to the memories
To the moments of life in which we both roamed
The days slip away and disappear from view
And they lose their order, their order somewhere

Dhe kujtimet kalojnë (3x)

And the memories pass (3x)
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-04-03, 4:02

How much of those lyrics were you able to translate from what you already knew, and how much did you have to look up and learn? I ask because I've thought of translating lyrics and text, like you do, but what puts me off is the work of looking up stuff I don't know. In particular, I don't just want to look it up to complete the translation, but also write it out in my notebook and add it to Anki.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-04-03, 4:22

It might be a good idea to start out reading other people's translations of songs. There are a lot of song translations into English out there! :)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-04-03, 5:03

vijayjohn wrote:It might be a good idea to start out reading other people's translations of songs. There are a lot of song translations into English out there! :)

Were you directing that at me? If so, good idea! :D And if not, good idea nonetheless! :P
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-04-03, 5:17

dEhiN wrote:Were you directing that at me?

Yes. I do this myself sometimes. There used to be a great site for doing this with Bollywood songs called BollyWHAT? :lol: Unfortunately, it seems to have kind of died. :? (I say "kind of died" because it still technically exists, I think, but as a forum without all the translated song lyrics of its glory days :P).

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-04-03, 5:55

dEhiN wrote:How much of those lyrics were you able to translate from what you already knew, and how much did you have to look up and learn? I ask because I've thought of translating lyrics and text, like you do, but what puts me off is the work of looking up stuff I don't know. In particular, I don't just want to look it up to complete the translation, but also write it out in my notebook and add it to Anki.

I was already familiar with at least 40% of the vocabulary in those lyrics, and even though my understanding of basic Albanian grammar is incomplete, I was still able to deduct the dictionary forms of all nouns and most verbs I had to look up.

Apropos, Albanian is one of those languages for which Google Translate functions rather decently as an online dictionary, much to my delight. None of the other ones I've tried to use has proven to be as reliable as it has.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-04-03, 9:28

Michael wrote:Apropos, Albanian is one of those languages for which Google Translate functions rather decently as an online dictionary, much to my delight. None of the other ones I've tried to use has proven to be as reliable as it has.

Yeah, Turkish, especially song lyrics, comes out as an incomprehensible mess from GT.

Suprisingly, translations from Kurdish are pretty decent.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-04-05, 8:03

[flag=]sq[/flag] Completed Mësimi 10/18, which was dedicated entirely to the use of the genitive case, for both definite and indefinite nouns, also introducing the genitive forms of the demonstratives and the forms of the linking articles when they modify a noun in this case. In terms of vocabulary, I learned about important holidays in Albania and how to talk about cultural events. I'm now moving on to the next lesson. 56%

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-04-07, 9:23

[flag=]sq[/flag] Well, it's barely been a day since I completed the last lesson, yet I already completed Mësimi 11/18! (I say "already" because, knowing myself all too well, I tend to procrastinate a lot, even with language learning.) It goes without saying, Albanian has become my new addiction, much to the detriment of my other two [theoretical…] TAC languages, but I couldn't care less — after all, isn't that the dictionary definition of addiction? :P 61%

This lesson introduced the present indicative of Class 6 verbs, also known as passive or reciprocal verbs. In addition, I learned the two forms of the dative personal pronouns (the weak/clitic form and the strong form, the latter which must always co-occur with its corresponding clitic); other than those few novelties, the rest of the dative case is practically the genitive case minus the linking article, thus this lesson was a breeze.

Përsëritja e Dytë (the Second Review) awaits me tomorrow, after which I'll gather some statistics about my Anki deck and compare how much more I've learned since the First Review, which was at least a good 9 months ago. About damn time!

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-04-14, 3:11

[flag=]sq[/flag] Kreva lëndët e Përsëritjes së Dytë pak më vonë sesa kisha thënë, por tani e kam mbaruar. gjashtëdhjetë e shtatë për qind

Qeshë në gjendje të praktikohem aftësinë shqipeje për gjysmë ore dje. Kam gjendur se kisha nevojë për të lutur të duruar njerëzve me të cilët bisedoja të ritregoheshin herë të shumta, megjithëse flisnin qartë një dialekt tosk, po ashtu asnjëherë s’u bëra i irrituar dhe kufizova perdorimin e anglishtes sa më shumë. :?:

[flag=]en-us[/flag] I worked on the Second Review a bit later than I said I would, but I've now completed it. 67%

I got to practice my Albanian for half an hour yesterday. I found I still had to ask the gracious people I spoke to to repeat themselves multiple times, even though they clearly spoke a Tosk dialect, but I never became frustrated and did my best to limit my use of English.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-04-15, 7:57

Michael wrote:I got to practice my Albanian for half an hour yesterday. I found I still had to ask the gracious people I spoke to to repeat themselves multiple times, even though they clearly spoke a Tosk dialect, but I never became frustrated and did my best to limit my use of English.

Congrats! Where did you get to practice your Albanian? I found I've become more afraid of publicly speaking and practising my languages. I used to be involved in a lot of Meetups and other in person language exchanges and I wasn't afraid of doing it then. But now, after 2 years or so of mostly using Unilang and Skype groups to practice my writing, I'm afraid to speak.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-04-15, 10:54

dEhiN wrote:Congrats! Where did you get to practice your Albanian? I found I've become more afraid of publicly speaking and practising my languages. I used to be involved in a lot of Meetups and other in person language exchanges and I wasn't afraid of doing it then. But now, after 2 years or so of mostly using Unilang and Skype groups to practice my writing, I'm afraid to speak.

I got to practice it at none other than my local barber shop, most of whose hair stylists are Albanian. I think I may go back there in-between hair cuts just to get to talk to them more, which I feel positive they wouldn't mind a bit, and when I do, I'll bring a notebook along so I can learn all their names using personal descriptors such as age, gender, hair and eye color, city and year of birth, etc. in lieu of photographs, as well as to jot down notes about the various topics we end up discussing. Until then, I'll try to learn about Albanian customs and etiquette more in depth, in particular gift-giving.

I have a moderate stammer, thus I too can sometimes be a little nervous or even afraid of speaking and practicing my languages, but I find ways to manage it, because I simply must give opportunities like this my all, or else risk falling further down the rabbit hole of depression and self-deprecation, which certainly does nothing to improve my minor speech impediment.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-04-15, 13:45

Michael wrote:I got to practice it at none other than my local barber shop, most of whose hair stylists are Albanian.

You don't say! That's exactly how I practice my Thai, although originally, it was with one hair stylist. (She's still the one who almost invariably cuts my hair, but now she works with a bunch of other hair stylists, most of which are also Thai women).

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-04-21, 23:52

[flag=]sq[/flag] Kam plotësuar vetëm të parën prej tri pjesëve të Mësimit 13 [Trembëdhjetë] pasi të fundit njoftimit tim, por në drejtësi, kjo pjesë në veçanti ishte plot me informacionin e rëndësishëm: Kam mësuar formimin e kohës së kryer të thjeshtë, asnjë detyrë e parëndësishme vetë! Duke mësuar akoma tjetër nga kohët e foljeve e duke shtuar atë në repertorin e njohurisë vepruese sime, kam mundësinë tashti për të biseduar me besim në vete për 1) veprimtaritë e njëkohshme ose ato që mbesin të sakta në çast fjalimi (përveç kohës së ardhme periprastike, natyrisht) dhe për 2) veprimtaritë që ndodhën në të kaluarën [e largët]; unë njoh edhe strukturat e konjugimit të kohëve të pathyer e të thyer, por nuk mund të them zyrtarisht se i kam shtirë atyre në mend. Ndihem se po filloj të kuptoj më mirë morfologjinë e foljeve të shqipes përfundimisht, dhe duhet të pranoj se nuk është po aq tmerruese siç mendohesha më parë.

Duket se do të filloj të përparoj së shpejti përtej pragut të nivelit A2!

[flag=]en-us[/flag] I've only gone through the first of the three portions of Lesson 13/18 since my last update, but in all fairness, this particular portion was chock full of essential material: I finally mastered the formation of the simple past tense (aka preterit), no small matter in itself! Having mastered yet another tense and added it to my repertoire of working knowledge, I can now confidently talk about 1) actions that are concurrent or are true as of the time of speaking (in addition to the periphrastic future tense, of course) and 2) actions that happened in the [remote] past; I am also familiar with the basic conjugation patterns of the imperfect and the present perfect tenses, but I can't officially say that I've mastered them. I feel like I'm finally starting to grasp Albanian verb morphology, and I must admit, it's not as terrifying as I used to make it out to be.

It looks like I'll start moving past the A2 threshold quite soon!

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-04-25, 22:15

[flag=]sq[/flag] Pasi një jave stresi, kam pasur mundësinë për të mbaruar Mësimin e 13 [Trembëdhjetë]. Kam mësuar format e kohës së thyer të thjeshtë dëftore si dhe pjesoret e çdo foljes që kam mësuar deri të tashmë. {shtatëdhjetë e dy për qind}

Kam filluar të dëgjoj shumë muzikë nga grupe roku kosovarë, kryesisht nga Teleks, Agron Berisha dhe Minatori. Ja disa që më pëlqejnë:

[flag=]en-us[/flag] After a stressful week, I've finally gotten around to finishing Lesson 13/18. I've learnt the simple past (aka preterit) forms and past participles of every verb I've learned so far. 72%

I've started listening to quite a lot of music from Kosovar rock bands from the 80's, namely Teleks, Agron Berisha and Minatori. Here are a few that I like:

Teleks - Më merr më ndihmo ("Take me, help me")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIqhfOmlKDs

► Show Spoiler

Minatori - E di se do të shoh ("I know I will see [you]")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARq7amxZdF4

► Show Spoiler

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-05-01, 17:25

[flag=]sq[/flag] Mbarova Mësimin e 14 [Katërmbëdhjetë] natën e kaluar. Kam mësuar konjugimin e kohës së thyer të thjestë për foljet prej llojit të gjashtë, si dhe të gjitha trajtat emërore e kallëzore të mbriemrave poseduese.

[flag=]en-us[/flag] I finished Lesson 14/18 last night. I've learnt [how to form] the simple past conjugation of Class 6 (i.e. passive or reciprocal) verbs, as well as all of the nominative and accusative forms of the possessive adjectives. 77%

[The preterit (aka simple past form) of a passive verb is really easy to form. Except for the third-person singular (more on that in a bit), all you need to do is add u (cf. Polish się) to the verb's corresponding active form: bëra "I did" → u bëra "I became"; veshëm "we put smth. on" → u veshëm "we got dressed".]

[Now for the third-person singular, in addition to adding the aforementioned reflexive particle u (not present in the present indicative and imperfect, which are formed synthetically like in Greek), you replace the -oi | -eu of verbs that are Class 1 in the active with -ua | -ye, which happens to be the basis of the plural person preterit forms as well: rroi "he shaved" → u rrua "he got shaved [by someone else]"; ktheu "she returned something" → u kthye "she returned, came back". However, do note: bëri "she did" → u bë "she became". For verbs of all other classes in their active forms, you cut off the -i and that's that: futi "he put" → u fut "he was placed".]

I love Albanian folk music. The klarinetë so present in it is just so calming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWhsTenZw04&t=1282s

Michael

Re: TAC 2017 - Mike (Albanian, Italian, Old English)

Postby Michael » 2017-07-11, 19:13

[flag=]sq[/flag] I've learnt quite a lot of and about Albanian—this has been a very productive 11 months in that regard, at least! However, I haven't progressed from the ¾ mark in Discovering Albanian for the last two months, as learning the basics of Old English and its grammar has been occupying my mind more intensely lately… However, I will make an effort to at least review the 436 cards that I've been putting off reviewing on Anki for the last 2 weeks, see where I left off, and at least advance past the first out of the 3 more units I have left till completion of the entire textbook.

There is a chance I'll be able to take a little trip to Albania next month or in September (read more below) as well, so it's important that I keep all that I've learnt thus far fresh in my memory, as well as expand on my lexicon and spoken skills, in order to take most advantage of such an opportunity, should it come to pass.

[flag=]it[/flag] If all goes as planned, I shall be going to Italy, most likely next month. My Standard Italian skills… I don't know how to objectively measure them. As I basically speak a "darker shade" of Italo-Dalmatian, Italian is not a truly foreign language to me, and has never been, so I have excellent passive skills in it. However, my "offline" lexicon is not up to par, and I haven't been making a concerted effort to expose myself to Italian media and to truly master the language. This must change, but it remains to be seen how much I'll be able to focus on it.

[flag=]en_old[/flag] I have a keen interest in English etymology, the more so now that I've learnt (well, had learnt…) a considerable amount of Greek, and have also always been fascinated by the Germanic origins of this native language of mine. Thus, I've started learning the fundamentals of Old English grammar with a public-domain digitized grammar. After I've completed the online grammar, I'll then move on to the most recent Teach Yourself edition, TY Complete Old English (Anglo-Saxon).

[flag=]az[/flag][flag=]tr[/flag] I've given up on Azerbaijani indefinitely. I'd rather spend my valuable time learning Turkish, but even that will have to wait for the time being. :(

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-11, 20:39

Michael wrote:Thus, I've started learning the fundamentals of Old English grammar with a public-domain digitized grammar.

What grammar?

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-07-11, 20:45

dEhiN wrote:
Michael wrote:Thus, I've started learning the fundamentals of Old English grammar with a public-domain digitized grammar.

What grammar?

Check out the title post. :)

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-07-14, 6:09

[flag=]sq[/flag] Slowly but surely, I'm trudging through the Anki reviews.

[flag=]en_old[/flag] I've finished learning about most Old English noun declension types across the three genders, and have also learned the basics of the conjugation of strong verbs (i.e. verbs characterized by umlaut) in the infinitive and present indicative. I've got just under 200 cards thus far (including "grammatical templates") on the Anki deck. 6/17 (35%)

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”