WAC 2016 - ceid donn - Gaelic-y French madness

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

ceid donn
WAC 2016 - ceid donn - Gaelic-y French madness

Postby ceid donn » 2016-09-28, 2:55

I gave some thought to starting a proper language blog, and decided that kind of project is too high maintenance for me at the moment. So I'm going to do an End of the Year SAC (but for brevity's sake, we call it a WAC), because I do find it helpful to set goals and check in on my progress, despite my tendency to change plans every other week. :P

First tier languages--the ones I am most advanced in and want to do the most intensive work in:

[flag=]gd[/flag] Gaelic
[flag=]fr[/flag] French

Second tier languages--ones I need to make some more progress in:

[flag=]ga[/flag] Irish
[flag=]br[/flag] Breton
[flag=]cy[/flag] Welsh
[flag=]it[/flag] Italian

Third tier languages--ones I want to review a bit, or use for laddering when possible

[flag=]ja[/flag] Japanese
[flag=]id[/flag] Indonesian

Fourth tier languages--languages in which at the moment I've lost interest, but 4 weeks from now, who knows?

[flag=]sw[/flag] Swahili
[flag=]ru[/flag] Russian

One reason I decided to do this WAC is because 10 days ago I started a mini-SAC-like thing with French where I'm doing about 4-5 hours of French study every day. And yes, I have actually been meeting my goals so far. My plan was to do this for 3 weeks, but I may extend it a forth week seeing how pleased I am with my motivation level and completion of daily goals. After this, I plan to do a similar thing with Gaelic. Woohoo.

I haven't completely sidelined all other languages, but I have been working them in around my French study, mostly by using Memrise. Lately I've been doing 6 or more hours of language study a day. Crazy, I know, but my current schedule and living situation as granted me this opportunity. So, carpe diem and all that.

[flag=]fr[/flag]

What I have done so far and what I'll be doing now:

Over the summer I completely reviewed my Duolingo French tree and kept it golden for a few weeks, and I did a fair amount of work with songs, pronunciation, and listening. I'm taking a break from Duolingo for now--some creepy-creepy stuff has been going on there and I just can't deal with that right now (plus I'm bored with their format and really need to be work wiith other resources)--and have been using Memrise, which has greatly improved since I first tried it out some years back. I signed up for the Pro membership so I can download courses to use offline and to have access to the other learning modes, and so far, I say it's money well spent.

The first part of my 3-4 week French intensive study has been going through Memrise's French courses 1-7, and after that I'll do their intermediate French course. I'm nearly done with 5 now--I may finish it tonight if I have the energy. I admit I'm finding 5 a bit duller than 1-4, largely due to it having so much about sports and politics. Blah. It'll be over soon. But so far, overall, I've practiced about 1700 words and phrases, and practiced them up to a rate of 95% correct or better. It's been really good practice too. One thing Memrise is good for is improving recall, which I admit with French, my recall, well, ça craint. Vraiment. It's in part because I don't get enough conversation practice, and part because i'm studying other languages. But cramming through these courses has been wonderful for my recall.

Another thing I really like with the Memrise French 1-7 courses is the videos of a very wide range of french speakers and boy, is it excellent listening practice. Plus the pro membership gives you a learning mode that is just these videos too.

In addition to the Memrise French 1-7, I am doing three other Memrise courses for francophones--Breton (a course based on the Assimil book), Japonais and Italien (unfortunately there isn't a good Indonesian course for francophones on Memrise yet). I do a little in each every day, although a bit more in Breton than the other two.

Outside of Memrise, I am watching French language videos on You Tube or parts of a French film on Netflix every day and taking notes on them in French. So far most of them have been Français avec Pierre videos, but hey, I like Pierre. But I've also been viewing segments of Comme un Chef and Amélie on Netflix. Also, when I'm done cramming through the Memrise basic courses, I plan to spend less time on Memrise and get back to my PUG books.

After this first post, I will make an earnest attempt to do future updates on my French studies in French. Oui, vraiment, c'est promis ! :whistle:

[flag=]gd[/flag]

At the moment I'm just doing some Memrise courses for more advanced vocabulary and doing some writing. I misplaced my copy of An Creanaiche so I'm a couple of episodes behind on Fa Chomhair an Leughadair. Those aren't very intensive, and the show is on a break while the presenter is off doing other Gaelic stuff. So I don't have to worry about getting too far behind. It's just a matter of finding my book and sitting down to listen to the broadcasts.

When I am done with my French intensive study I plan on doing the same with Gaelic, but it'll have to be quite different, content-wise. With Gaelic I'll be focusing on reading, writing and vocabulary building. I also have some DVDs I need to dust off and watch and there's plenty of videos on LearnGaelic I can use. I've given some thought to doing my own Memrise course, but I'm no sure if I will. Aside from deciding what it'll focus on, I would have to look into what creating a course on Memrise entails.

So that's where things are for now--a whole lot French, with Breton, Japanese and Italian on the side, and up next, a whole lot of Gaelic. At some point before the end of the year, I'll find some time for Irish and Welsh. :mrgreen:
Last edited by ceid donn on 2016-10-03, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

księżycowy

Re: WAC - ceid donn - Gaelic-y French madness

Postby księżycowy » 2016-09-29, 23:06

I like your idea of doing relatively short bursts with some of your languages. I might try that myself for at least a few that I need to refresh my knowledge on. I should get a WAC going. Or maybe I'll just revive my TAC thread.

ceid donn

Re: WAC 2016 - ceid donn - Gaelic-y French madness

Postby ceid donn » 2016-10-03, 15:15

Good luck with your SAC/WAC, księżycowy! :D I came up with this idea from my first French class way back when. It was an intensive 6-week course, 6 hours day, 5 days a week. It was structured in a way that the days were broken up roughly into learning new things, reviewing previous things and then practicing what we knew so far. In a way I can recreate that with Memrise--granted, not the part about having a group and teacher to keep me focused and motivated, but at least with how you can use Memrise to review things in different ways (at least with the Pro membership ad with certain courses that have both video and audio) and break your learning session doing what you want. It's been productive, I believe.

I don't know what I am going to do after Scottish Gaelic. Doing Japanese through French has really reminded me how much I enjoy Japanese, despite how difficult the writing system is. But I need to work on Breton badly. Moreover, Skol an Emsav, a publisher of Breton language materials, sent me a free copy of the latest #brezhoneg magazine and a plea to resubscribe. I took that as a sign, even though I can't afford to resubscribe right now (I did buy a couple of individual issues that I presently don't have). All the same, as much as I love Breton, it's a very challenging language for me--after an hour of trying to keep all the forms of bezañ straight while minding my word order and mutations, I'm all up for drilling some kanji :whistle:. Since there isn't as much nicely prepared Breton material for my level, I would really need to plan something. There's almost nothing on Memrise for Breton that's past A2 level, and there's only so much reviewing beginner vocab I can do. I suppose between finishing Assimil's Le Breton and working on the stuff in my issues of #brezhoneg, I could find plenty of things to keep me busy for four weeks. We will see.

[flag=]fr[/flag]

J'ai achevé French 6, donc je fais French 7 sur Memrise maintenant. Bien que j'ai souhaité finir tous les cours avant aujourd'hui, je suis satisfait des progrès. French 5 et 6 ont pris un peu plus de temps que prévu et j'ai beaucoup travaillé à les finir ! (OK, OK, j'ai achevé la dernière moitié de French 6 pendant que j'ai "binge-watched" la deuxième saison de la série télé sci-fi, Dark Matter, néanmoins j'ai travaillé à le cours ! :mrgreen: ) Entre les deux cours, j'ai pratiqué près de 1000 mots et expressions. Cela s'ajoutait mon travail sur les cours d'Italien, de Japonais et de Breton pour les francophones.

Malheureusement, je dois faire beaucoup de mènage aujourd'hui, donc je ne peux pas passer le plus de temps sur mes etudies. Mais demain je vais revenir à mon horaire de l'étude.

Update 10-04-16: The mobo on my PC appears to have wigged out and of course it had to happen the same month that I have to pay for my car registration and pay for repairs so my car can pass inspection to get said registration. So I don't know when I can get it replaced. The reason this effects my WAC is 1) until I get my PC fixed, I only have my Kindle, which is a nightmare for writing in English let alone any language that requires diacritics, and occasionally I can use one of my relative's laptop, but she doesn't want me changing the keyboard layout because it has Win10, which is kind of a pain about switching between keyboard layouts, so I get it, and 2) there's a ton of language resources on my PC I currently cannot access, not to mention online resources that are much easier to use on PC than on my Kindle. So I'm a little screwed here, possibly for about 6 weeks, possibly longer, unless I manage to come up with some extra money or get one of my older laptops working (my Chromebook died back in July) or I can manage to get the mobo working again (not hopeful about that--it's a MSI mobo and they are notorious for going faulty at the worst time). I can continue with all my Memrise stuff via the Kindle app, and I have plenty of printed materials for French, Scottish Gaelic, Breton and Irish--plus a couple of things for Japanese and a recently acquired copy of Easy Italian Reader-- to keep me busy offline but until I can get back to using a device with which typing with diacritics isn't an enraging experience, I am going to have to amend my previous to plans to update this thread in French and Scottish Gaelic and deal with things here as they are. I'm bummed because as I keep saying in these SAC, I need to be writing in French and Gaelic more. Ugh. :?

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2016-10-17, 15:46

I'm still having PC woes. I replaced the mobo but now it appears the problem is really the the front panel controllers. So I ordered a new case. If this doesn't fix the problem I could be pretty screwed in the PC department for a while. :? But the language learning must go on...

[flag=]fr[/flag]

I have finished the Memrise French 1-7 courses and have been doing an user-made Memrise course for intermediate vocabulary. The intermediate course is basically an Anki-type course on Memrise for drilling vocab. It gets a bit dull, so I have been devoting more time to working in my PUG workbooks offline and I have gotten back to my French songs.

I’ve also started reading Les Lecteurs de Pensée (Learn French By Reading Urban Fantasy edition) by Zima Dales and discovered last night that I have a fashcard feature for e-books on my uber-crappy super-cheapo Kindle Fire I got to replace my much better and pricier but no longer available older model Kindle Fire HDX that I stupidly broke this past summer (this was the one that Amazon advertised as “unbreakable” by the way, heh). This flashcard feature might actually make this Kindle worth the $50 I spent on it.

Last week was the 4th week of my “intensive” French run. Since this week would be a bad week to try to start a similar thing with Gaelic due to my work schedule, I’m going to extend it with French one more week.

One thing that this 4-week intensive study has made me much more aware of is how certain little errors I often persist in doing, like forgetting obligatory elisions and mixing up prepositions, largely boil down to how I’m studying French while studying other languages, in particular Gaelic, which uses elision and prepositions quite differently from French. At least I now aware why I do this and it’s not just because I’m dense about it.

Also I think my spelling in French has improved considerably, if my PUG practices are any indication, although please don’t quiz me on ridiculous words like embouteillage. :lol:

[flag=]it[/flag]

I haven’t devoted a lot of time to Italian but I have been studying it regularly in small doses, with Memrise and Goethe-Velang Book2 audio files. It seems to be paying off. I finished the first Memrise course for Italien pour francophones and will start the second this week. It wasn’t hard at all, except for how I cannot remember how to spell either sbagliarsi or meravigliosa to save my life. I also started reading Italian Short Stories for Beginners and I am finding it pretty accessible.

My goals for Italian at the moment are the same as before: just learn some basics and work toward general conversational and reading fluency. I feel my progress, albeit slow, has be solid. Unlike with some other languages, if I don’t work on Italian for a few days, when I come back it’s not like, “Whoa, wait, what is this again?” I guess knowing some French and having studied Latin in the past really does help. :whistle:

[flag=]br[/flag]

I have managed to get quite a bit of work done with Breton over the past 6 weeks, even while focusing on French (laddering is a wonderful!). I have been steadily working through the Memrise courses for both Le Breton sans peine and Brezhoneg … buan hag eas, and reviewing the corresponding chapters in the books as I go. It’s been incredibly fruitful as I am now much more comfortable with Breton. It’s still a very challenging language but it’s considerably less scary now. My reading level isn’t quite back to what it was a year or so ago, but I am not worried about that right now. Working with Memrise and these two coursebooks seem to be working fine for me right now.

[flag=]ga[/flag]

Some days I wish I could just give up on Irish. :? I don’t have the energy for the politics around it and I certainly don’t have to energy for the many intensively unlikable egos you run into just about anywhere you might try to use it online. So I’ll be keeping my Irish studies fairly DL for the foreseeable future, because I just don’t need the next dude’s p-aggro/micro-aggro BS about how to Irish at this point. I am mainly just doing some a little stuff on Memrise mostly to practice learning and pronunciation and and I am doing some reading offline. No solid goals at this point.

[flag=]cy[/flag]

Sadly I have had no time for Welsh. That might be for the best at this stage, as progressing in Breton is more a priority for me. Sorry, Welsh. :cry:

[flag=]ja[/flag]

While Japanese has not been to most beneficial language for laddering French because of how many English-language resources I use as well, I have been making some progress with reviewing things I previously have studied and getting down some basic stuff. I’ve worked on drilling hiragana on Memrise, and reviewed all hiragana and katakana with my kana workbook. I’ve studied the first 200 joyo kanji and plan to learn the last 40 Grade 2 kanji this week. I’m also slowly making my way through Memrise's Japonais pour francophones course. I prefer Human Japanese to the Memrise course, honestly, and have gone back to it. So far I’ve re-done the fist 13 lessons. I have made it a goal to complete Human Japanese before Spring 2016 (it has 40 chapters, although some chapters are about Japanese culture or more info on the language rather than language study). What I do after that, I don’t know. I only need basic conversational Japanese for work, and what I know right now is pretty sufficient for what I do (I just don’t know how to write most of it!). Mainly, I just have to get Japanese-speaking kids to behave and do their classwork, and they actually are suppose to be using English and not Japanese at school, so the extent of my workplace Japanese is just getting these kids’ respect and attention and getting them to do their work. It’s really more discipline-intensive than language-intensive. But it would be good to be better at Japanese instead of always feeling like I’m faking it.

[flag=]gd[/flag]

I will be starting my Gealic intensive study either next week or the following week and I am really looking forward to it. I have picked out some Memrise courses to drill some things I’m a little weak on and to drill more advanced vocabulary, and I have picked out the books I want to read. I will also be using video resources on LearnGaelic. I haven’t had time for Gaelic the past few weeks and I really miss it. I plan to do my intensive study through at least the Thanksgiving holidays. I’ve also given more thought to creating my own Memrise course. It’s something I would like to do, but I am still undecided on what the course would focus on.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2016-10-27, 16:30

I am at home, waiting on the plumbers to replace a corroded kitchen faucet, so I have time to spare for an update.

The PC saga continues. Now, due to having installed an OEM version of Win7 on that my rig when I first built it 15 months ago, and having replaced the mobo, I can't get Windows to boot. And I can't find my install disc to try a re-install. The install disc came with a refurbished desktop I bought ages ago and was only meant for that computer. I have been meaning to purchase a legit licensed copy for this PC ever since. :whistle: Now, 15 months later, I have to. So I am borrowing money for a relative to buy a retail version of Win10 since I have a nice paycheck coming in a few weeks.

[flag=]fr[/flag]

I am very close to completing the French vocab course I am doing currently on Memrise. 1499 terms, and I have a couple hundred to go. Lots of cognates, faux amis and other useful vocab. I have been able to get through it fairly quickly since I am familiar with a good majority of the words and on the reviews I'm easily getting 95-100% correct. The next French vocab course I picked out to do has over 4000 words, but I am not going to trying to cram my way through it, so I can spend more time on Gaelic in the coming weeks.

After I finish this course, I am going to do a week of intensive reading practice. I feel I really need that, after all these Memrise courses, and I think it will be time well spent. I am usually not terribly impressed with advice from "professional polyglots" but after getting one of Olly Richards' Italian Short Stories for Beginners book, I was reading some of his blog and he talked about how he thought reading was very important in second language learning. I think he has a very good point. He also has an interesting approach to reading for learning that he recommends which he based on how we read in our native language. Usually these polyglots like to give you advice based on what works for them personally, but Olly is drawing from more universal experience and practice, which I like. So I am going to give his method a try and see where it gets me. :D

[flag=]br[/flag]

Still working steadily away at Le breton sans peine and Buan hag aes courses on Memrise and reviewing with the books. I am on chapter 21 in Le breton sans peine and on chapter 11 in Buan hag aes. The former's chapters are about half the length as the latter, so I am really making about equal progress in both.

[flag=]ja[/flag]

I drilled the first 240 kanji up to a point where I feel pretty comfortable with leaving them for a while. I will put Japanese on hold for a few weeks, until I am done with my Gaelic intensive study.

[flag=]it[/flag]

As mentioned above, I have one of Olly Richards' book and have been trying out his method. I haven't had a lot of time to spend on Italian, but I have read the first short story. It's hard to base an opinion on Olly's method on that alone, especially since I can flub through a lot of Italian already. But we will see. At least the story was interesting enough.

[flag=]ga[/flag]

I've been working through the Buntus Cainte courses on Memrise, well, just the first one. It's long and highly repetitive, and it covers nothing I don't already know grammar-wise, but it has great audio and has been wonderful listening practice. I am almost done with the 1st one and will hopefully start the 2nd this weekend. Other than that I have been reading some Irish on Twitter. Not much but it's something. I am still waiting to get my PC working again so I can get some of my Irish materials I was too lazy to upload to my Kindle's cloud storage off the hard drive.

[flag=]gd[/flag]

As productive as it has been to spend these past weeks focusing on French, I really miss Gaelic and it just feels weird to spend some much time on Memrise without doing a Gaelic course (I had finished the Fo Bhuid course a while back and after reviewing it up to a 40-day streak, I figured I should take it off my active courses list). So I started doing a couple easy ones, for review and drills. And I listen to Speaking Our Language audio files that I made from the videos in the car driving to and from work. I get a little exposure on Twitter, although Gaelic tweeters aren't nearly as active as Irish or Welsh tweeters, sadly.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2016-11-07, 13:52

Ah, a new week. I have my PC back. It took up a lot of my free time last week, getting the problem sorted out, disassembling, reassembling, installing Win 10, getting everything else re-installed and the whole deal. Computers--they were suppose to save us time, you know? :lol: Eh, I'm a PC building veteran so i know these things always take 3-4 times longer than you think they should.

[flag=]fr[/flag]

I didn't have a terribly productive past week with French due to my PC issues, my depression and other things eating up my time and energy. But I didn't completely slack off. I did listen to some of Pierre's podcasts while working on my PC (you gotta do something while you're waiting for Windows to install, right?), and I read quite a few articles in French online on political topics I'm following. And I started a couple of new more advanced French courses on Memrise, as well with continuing to ladder Breton and Italian with French-language courses on Memrise. And I have been listening to my GV French-Italian files almost every day. I haven't spend much time with my e-book, and I am disappointed with that, given how much momentum I had going for the 5 weeks prior.

This week I am going to have to keep things scaled back a bit, until I have taken care of a couple of work-related things. Hopefully when those are out the way I will be able to dig back into my studies. French will have to be on the side-line now because next week I am starting my Gaelic intensive month (or 6-weeks, or whatever it ends up being).

I'm still doing Breton, Italian, Irish and Gaelic courses on Memrise. Not much to report with thpse--just a little progress in each so far.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2016-11-13, 23:50

What a week, huh? :whistle:

Let's just say...I've been a bit distracted this past week...along with just about every other person in my country, and a good number of people elsewhere.

Yeah.

But, I still have my language goals and dreams and hopes, and I must forge ahead.

[flag=]es[/flag]

I'm getting back into Spanish, partly for pragmatic reasons and partly for...um, let's call it "political dissent." I could be out of job very soon, as I work in the public school system. If you follow US news, you may know that things in our schools have gotten way ugly in a seriously fucked up way and 1) I don't have good enough health, physically nor mentally, to endure this and 2) I don't get paid enough to deal with this hateful bullshit that our society has been fomenting for some time now and I already refuse to work at certain schools here because of it. So when I go back to work next week, I am preparing myself for the possibility that there are no schools left here that I will feel safe working at, and needing workplace Spanish in the near future is a real probability if I end up having to find a new job while this country burns in the national-scale trashfire it made for itself.

My main goal is to build confidence with using Spanish, so I have been coming up with a strategy to get my meager Spanish skills better honed quickly. Here's what I've decided to do:

--not focus too much on grammar, since I already know a lot of Romance language grammar already
--focus on vocabulary building, pronunciation and reading.
--do a Spanish journal, just a few sentences a day, to be realistic
--grind on Memrise like I did with French
--use Memrise and GV files to ladder French/Spanish with French language materials for Spanish, because I do have a problem of getting Spanish mixed up with French, which oddly isn't a big problem with French and Italian.

I have Easy Spanish Reader and a couple of other Spanish books for reading, so I am starting with them. Spanish e-books for learners thankfully are easy to find and generally pretty cheap, so I am not short of options.

[flag=]gd[/flag]

Sadly this means my Gaelic intensive when be postponed again. Probably until after Thanksgiving, depending on how I progress with my Spanish goals.

I will however begin some of my planned reading, beginning with re-reading Fo Bhuid and then reading Eachdraidh Ealasid ann an Tìr nan Iongantas (Alice in Wonderland), which I had previous started but I don't think I ever finished. Also I will continue with the Memrise courses, just at a slower pace.

[flag=]fr[/flag]

Cette semaine, je m'ai relâché avec mes études françaises et lorsque je tente d'utiliser le français, j'ai l'impression que je n'en ai pas utilisé depuis longtemps. Je sais qu'il s'agit davantage de mon dépression et ma humeur déprimée que mes compétences françaises, alors je ne peux pas me laisser décourager par cela.

Je veux me remettre à la lecture de Les lectuers de pensées, puisque c'est très agréable et intéressant. De même, il me faut écrire en français un peu plus, sur UL ici ou dans mon journal. Cela ici, c'est un bon début, je pense. :whistle:

[flag=]it[/flag]

I'm still doing a little Italian every few days. I don't know how well I will juggle 3 Romance languages but I think I will manage. It helps that I am not terribly ambitious with Italian and it's stillv ery enjoyable for me, so I don't feel as much pressure as I do with French or Spanish. I worked a little on my current Memrise course and on my short stories this week, as well as listened to the GV audio files a few times. I am starting to find reading Italian tweets much easier, so i must be learning something.
Last edited by ceid donn on 2016-11-14, 5:58, edited 1 time in total.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2016-11-14, 5:55

Oops. I sat down tonight to work on my Memrise stuff and realized that in my update I forgot Breton... :oops:

[flag=]br[/flag]

Still slowly progressing with my Memrise courses, and my reading is improving. I'm still getting forms of bezañ confused but my vocabulary overall is expanding and that helps immensely. I've been reading more blogs (Breton speakers like to blog more than other Celtic language speakers, I swear--but it's nice as it's free reading materials for me :D ). I am working on my two Breton Memrise courses each today, and have an over 50-day streak with both.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2016-11-18, 7:13

[flag=]es[/flag]

Mi diario en español, hasta ahora.

11/13/16

Este es mi diario en español. Espero escribir un poco cada día. No me gusta mucho el español pero voy a dar lo mejor de mí.

Está muy bien que LibreOffice venga con el corrector ortográfico en español ya instalado. Mi ortografía en español es terrible. :?

11/16/16

Olvidé escribir algo ayer y anteayer. Uy, no es un buen comienzo. Mi depresión me hace olvidadiza. :(

Leí los capítulos 9-15 de la primera parte de Easy Spanish Reader.

Palabras para recordar:

la tesorera – treasurer
el baile – dance
el ladrillo – brick
el despacho – office
enseñar – to teach
empezar – to begin, start
la corrida de toros - bullfight
ganar – to win
escoger – to choose, elect
el ganador - winner
el campeonato – championship
la declamación de poesía – poetry recital
la estrofa – verse, stanza
el estrépito – loud noise, racket
sacudir – to shake
sacudido – shaken-off (adj.)
bramar – bellow, roar
sosegado – calm, tranquil
arrullar – to lull to sleep

Antenoche vi la Superluna. Fue una noche clara aquí y en esta época del año la luna sale sobre las montañas cerca de mi casa, así que tuve una bonita vista. :D

Hoy hice sopa de pavo con verduras de invierno y hierbas provenzales. Hago esta sopa cada año porque es una de mis favoritas. Es muy fácil, excepto por hacer el caldo y pelar las verduras. Esta sopa es mejor si la preparas anterior, así que la preparé para la cena de mañana. :whistle:

11//17/16

Leí los capítulos 16-22 de Easy Spanish Reader.

Palabras para recordar:

la asignatura – subject, course
de verdad – truly
la película – film
cómoda – comfortable
nadar – to swim
de repente – suddenly
encender – to turn on, switch on
el Grito de Dolores – Cry of Dolores (Mexican War of Independence)
festejar – to celebrate
iniciar – to begin, initiate
como resultado de – as result of
ampliar – to enlarge, extend, broaden
viajar – to travel
quedar – to remain, be left

También estuve viendo una telenovela en Telemundo durante una hora. No recuerdo el nombre de la telenovela, pero era bastante extraño y había vampiros. :twisted:

Hoy tengo que lavar la ropa pero preferiría hacer la siesta.

11/18/16

¡Es viernes! :D En realidad, es medianoche aquí y no he ido a la cama todavía. Sin embargo, es viernes.

Estuve escuchando mis archivos de audio francés a español y estuve trabajando en mi curso Memrise todos los días de esta semana. Curiosamente, a veces me encuentro pensando en algo como "How do I say 'mal de tête’ in Spanish”? Sin embargo, “laddering” en francés ha sido muy útil si bien estudiar muchos idiomas hace que mi cerebro esté extenuado!

Y sí, tengo un dolor de cabeza muy fuerte en este momento porque estoy muy cansada. En verdad, debería ir a la cama. :wink:

Más tarde, después de dormir, voy a leer este artículo, Conducta felina: ¿Por qué los gatos se comportan raro? en National Geographic en Español.

I have entries from my other journals I want to post but I will post them later this weekend after I have time to double-check them for obvious errors.
Last edited by ceid donn on 2016-11-19, 13:34, edited 2 times in total.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-11-18, 9:30

ceid donn wrote:[flag=]es[/flag]

Mi diario en español, hasta ahora.

11/13/16

Esto (Este) es mi diario en español. Espero escribir un poco cada día. No me gustoa mucho el español pero voy a dar lo mejor de mí mi mejor esfuerzo. / pero me voy a esforzar.
Es muy bueno Está muy bien que LibreOffice venga viene con el corrector una corrección ortográficoa en español ya instalado. Mi ortografía en español es terrible / no es muy buena abominable (esta expresión, si bien correcta, me parece un poco exagerada :hmm: ).. :?

11/16/16

Olvidé escribir algo ayer y anteayer. Uy, no es un buen comienzo. Mi depresión me hace olvidadiza. :(

Leí los capítulos 9-15 de en la primera parte de Easy Spanish Reader.

Palabras para recordar:

la tesorera – treasurer
el baile – dance
el ladrillo – brick
el despacho – office
enseñar – to teach
empezar – to begin, start
la corrida de toros - bullfight
ganar – to win
escoger – to choose, elect
el ganador - winner
el campeonato – championship
la declamación de poesía – poetry recital
la estrofa – verse, stanza
el estrépito – loud noise, racket
sacudir – to shake
sacudido – shaken-off (adj.)
bramar – bellow, roar
sosegado – calm, tranquil
arrullar – to lull to sleep

Antenoche vi la Superluna. Fue una noche clara aquí y en esta época del año la luna sale sobre las montañas cerca de mi casa, así que tuva tuve una bonita vista. :D

Hoy hice sopa de pavo con verduras de invierno y hierbas provenzales. Hago esta sopa cada año porque es una de mis favoritas. Es muy fácil, excepto por hacer el caldo y pelar las verduras. Esta sopa es mejor si la haces / si la preparas lo hace el día antes (anterior) , así que lo la hice / la preparé para la cena de mañana. :whistle:

11//17/16

Leí los capítulos 16-22 en Easy Spanish Reader.

Palabras para recordar:

la asignatura – subject, course
de verdad – truly
la película – film
cómoda – comfortable
nadar – to swim
de repente – suddenly
encender – to turn on, switch on
el Grito de Dolores – Cry of Dolores (Mexican War of Independence)
festejar – to celebrate
iniciar – to begin, initiate
como resultado de – as result of
ampliar – to enlarge, extend, broaden
viajar – to travel
quedar – to remain, be left

También miré / estuve viendo una telenovela en Telemundo durante una hora. No recuerdo el nombre de la telenovela, pero era bastante extraño y había vampiros. :twisted:

Hoy tengo que lavar la ropa pero preferiría tomar hacer la [color=#0000FF][/color](una) siesta.

11/18/16

¡Es viernes! :D En realidad, es medianoche aquí y no he ido a la cama todavía. Sin embargo, es viernes.

Escuchaba Estuve escuchando mis archivos de audio francés a español y trabajé / estuve trabajando trabajaba en mi curso Memrise todos los días de esta semana. Curiosamente, a veces me encuentropensar pensando en algo como "How do I say 'mal de tête’ in Spanish”? (dolor de cabeza) Sin embargo, “laddering” en francés ha sido muy útil si bien estudiar muchos idiomas hace que mi cerebro esté extenuado!

Y sí, tengo un dolor de cabeza muy fuerte en este momento porque estoy muy cansada. En verdad, debería ir a la cama. :wink:

Más tarde, después de dormir, voy a leer este artículo, Conducta felina: ¿Por qué los gatos se comportan raro? en National Geographic en Español.

I have entries from my other journals I want to post but I will post them later this weekend after I have time to double-check them for obvious errors.

Buen trabajo! Continúa, vas por buen camino :yep:

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2016-11-18, 21:06

Antea wrote:
Buen trabajo! Continúa, vas por buen camino :yep:

Muchas gracias por las correccións y por animarme. :D Parece que la mayoria de mis errones son relativos al uso de preposiciones y verbos. No es sorprendente. :whistle:

Es "el corrector ortographico" preferible a "la corrección ortographica"? :?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j9u2IdtLRY

esta expresión, si bien correcta, me parece un poco exagerada

:lol: Bien en verdad, ma ortographía en español es muy terrible. :silly:

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2016-11-21, 6:37

[flag=]fr[/flag]

11/16/16

Étant donné que j’écris un journal en espagnol, j’ai pensé que ce serait une bonne occasion pour ressusciter également mon journal en français.

J’ai lu Les lecteurs de pensée de Dima Zales. C’est l’édition Learn French By Reading Urban Fantasy et il contient le texte en français et en anglais, chapitre par chapitre. Chaque chapitre est d’abord présenté en français puis en anglais de sorte que le lecteur peux tenter de lire le texte français sans l’aide de l’anglais. J’ai déjà lu quelques chapitres mais dans l’intérêt de ce journal, je vais recommencer au début. Alors je vais relire le premier chapitre cet après-midi.

Des mots à retenir

dégeler – to thaw
le croupier – dealer (in a casino)
surnommer – to nickname
le déphasage – (fig.) split from reality, a sense of dissociation
désormais – from now on, now present
prévisible – foreseeable, predictable
le brelan – three of a kind (cards)
tricher – to cheat
se dérouler – to elapse, unfold, progress
l’enchaînement – (fig.) sequence, series of events
dévisager – to stare at, to look intensely at

Comme avec l’espagnol, LibreOffice a un correcteur d’orthographe en français mais ce n’est pas aussi bien que la correcteur en espagnol, je crois. Il semble aussi un peu bogué. Plus tôt, j’ai écrit « jái » au lieu de « j’ai » et la seule correction qu’il a offert était « Jim ». Bien, LibreOffice est gratuit alors je ne devrais pas me plaindre.

11/18/16

J’ai lu le deuxième chapitre de Les lecteurs de pensée. Peu m’importe à relire ce livre tel qu’il est tout à fait intéressant et j’aime la fantasy urbaine et la science fantasy. Ce livre me rappelle un peu les livres d'écrivan Iain Banks, en particulier son roman de science-fiction, The Player of Games.

Des mots à retenir

avoir le cœur qui bat la chamade – (fig.) to have one’s heart beat wildly; to have one’s heart in one’s throat
rattraper – to catch sb/sth, to catch up
convaincu – convinced, sure
les couilles – testicles
écarquiller les yeux – to widen one’s eyes, to be wide-eyed in astonishment
faire d’être malin – to be slick, to be a show off
les jetons – chips, counters (casino/gambling)
soulager – to relieve, soothe
tenace – tenacious, stubborn

Aujourd’hui j’ai appris que l’autour de ce livre est né en Ukraine mais il habite maintenant aux États-Unis. Il pratique le mentalisme aussi. Je suppose que chacun a le droit à ses propres passe-temps. Bon, j’avais le sentiment que ce livre a été initialement écrit en français mais en fait il a été écrit en anglais.

11/20/16

J’ai écouté plusieurs podcasts de Français avec Pierre tout en jouant des jeux vidéo ce matin.

J’ai bu trop de rhum hier soir alors aujourd’hui je n’ai pas vraiment envie de faire beaucoup de travail mental. J’avais espéré travailler sur gaélique écossais et italien mais je vais me reposer à la place.

[flag=]es[/flag]

11/19/16
Ayer leí le artículo sobre gatos de National Geographic en Español. Me gusta porque me encantan los gatos y siempre disfruto leer sobre gatos. También he terminado de leer la primera parte de Easy Spanish Reader.

Palabras para recordar

negar – to deny, reject
retrasar – to delay, postpone
el minino – kitty
el trastorno - disorder
agradecer – to thank, to be grateful for
averiguar – to find out, to ascertain
lamer – to lick
vinculado con – linked to
ingerir – to ingest
enmarañado – matted, tangled
atigrado – tabby
desarrollar – to develop
mudar – to change
arrancar – to tear, rip, pull out
sugerir – to suggest
debido a – due to, because of
rescatar – to rescue
cazar – to hunt
la llegada – arrival
avanzado – advanced
el siglo - century
además – besides, additionally

Estuve consultando algunos sitios web de gramática con respecto al uso del gerundio y el infinitivo en español porque aún soy un poco confuso sobre cuándo usarlos. Los verbos en español son más difíciles para mí que los verbos en francés.

Esta tarde estuve escuchando los archivos de audio de la primera parte de Easy Spanish Reader mientras estuve jugando el videojuego Civilization III durante un par de horas. Esta es una forma de aprendizaje pasivo que utilizo para ayudar a mejorar mi pronunciación y ha trabajado bien para otros idiomas que estoy estudiando, como el gaélico escocés y el francés.

Estoy haciendo sopa de tortilla con pollo y chiles verdes de Nuevo México para la cena esta noche. A mi familia la encanta. Mi madre dice que es su sopa favorita.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-11-21, 18:37

ceid donn wrote:Es "el corrector ortographico" preferible a "la corrección ortographica"?

También se puede decir. Pero a mí me resulta más fácil y corto decir. "¿Has pasado el corrector?" que ¿Has pasado la herramienta de corrección ortográfica?" :yep: . Pero también es correcta esa expresión.

Si en algún momento prefieres que no te corrija, me lo dices. Me voy pasando por el foro de vez en cuando, y por los temas de español.

ceid donn wrote:11/19/16

Ayer leí el le artículo sobre gatos de National Geographic en Español. Me gusta porque me encantan los gatos y siempre disfruto leyendo / cuando leo leer sobre gatos. También he terminado de leer la primera parte de Easy Spanish Reader.

Estuve consultando algunos sitios web de gramática con respecto al uso del gerundio y el infinitivo en español porque aún estoy soy un poco confuso / confusa sobre cuándo usarlos. Los verbos en español son más difíciles para mí que los verbos en francés.

Esta tarde estuve escuchando los archivos de audio de la primera parte de Easy Spanish Reader mientras (estuve jugando) jugaba al el videojuego Civilization III durante un par de horas. Esta es una forma de aprendizaje pasivo que utilizo para ayudar a mejorar mi pronunciación y ha funcionado trabajado bien para otros idiomas que estoy estudiando, como el gaélico escocés y el francés.

Estoy haciendo sopa de tortilla con pollo y chiles verdes de Nuevo México para la cena esta noche. A mi familia la encanta. Mi madre dice que es su sopa favorita.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”