TAC 2016 - france-eesti (English, Portuguese, Hungarian, Estonian)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

dEhiN
Re: TAC 2016 - france-eesti (English, Portuguese, Hungarian, Estonian)

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-02, 18:32

"Into" is generally used with movement verbs - although you can use it with other verbs as well - to indicate going from one place to another. More specifically it conveys the idea of going from "outside" to "inside". So, with a wheelchair, you can say "he is getting into the wheelchair" or "I have to help her into the wheelchair". (The opposite of that is "out of", which is two words: he is getting out of the wheelchair / I have to help her out of the wheelchair.)

"In" can be used as a synonym for "into" when used with movement verbs. But "in" can also convey state as opposed to movement. For example, you could say "he is getting in the wheelchair" and it would mean the same thing as "into" - both prepositions convey movement. But if you say "I have to help her in the wheelchair", it could refer to both movement into the chair or her state of already being in the chair. Context would generally tell you which one is meant.

Also, for me, using "in" as a synonym for "into" is more casual. So in a formal setting, whether spoken or written, I would go with "into" for movement and "in" for state.

Hope that helps.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-05-02, 18:40

Oh... :? so now I understand why I don't understand... :( this is kind of complicated!!!! thank you so much :D next I won't write a story about someone in/into a wheelchair I guess :silly:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-02, 19:50

france-eesti wrote:Oh... :? so now I understand why I don't understand... :( this is kind of complicated!!!! thank you so much :D next time I won't write a story about someone in/into a wheelchair I guess :silly:

"Next" without "time" after it, in this context, is a little ambiguous. Usually "next" by itself implies something that is happening in the present - i.e., the next second or next moment. For example, a magician would say "and now for my next trick", meaning a trick that he is going to perform right away.

We (almost?) always say "someone in a wheelchair", because that's their state - they exist or are in the wheelchair.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-02, 23:48

france-eesti wrote:Thank you David! It's so kind of you to take time to explain this to me :)
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-07-29, 12:32

Hi! It's been a while since I didn't update this :D

[flag=]fr[/flag] Still teaching my 6 year old how to read and my 47 year old Hungarian Conversation Partner how to read. I love both experiences and compare them - both of them are amazing! Though my Hungarian friend is more patient than my daughter :lol:

[flag=]en[/flag] Nothing more, just keeping it up...

[flag=]pt[/flag] Nothing more, just trying to keep it up (but sadly discovered my Brazilian colleague is in reality a spy to our boss so I think conversation will be a bit less often from now...)

[flag=]hu[/flag] My love, my life... Sorry, I've found true love. Hours and hours of it every week, conversation, letters to my friends, writing short stories, reading books, chatting, Magyar OK exercise books... Am in love!!!!! I'm finishing my second book in Hungarian and am very happy to understand more and more of it (even though it's teenager book)... I am addicted and even with Portuguese, which I love very much too, it didn't take me so badly... Has anyone experienced that? :para:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-07-29, 16:51

Espião como? Saber se você tá trabalhando de verdade?
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-07-29, 19:24

Como repitir o que se diz no open-space ao chefe... Az vezes acho que ainda estámos na escola!
(porquê você não responde aos jogos do forum português?) :doggy:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-07-29, 21:56

france-eesti wrote:Como repetir o que se diz no open-space ao chefe... Às vezes acho que ainda estamos na escola!
(porquê você não responde aos jogos do fórum lusófono?) :doggy:
Eu que te pergunto

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-31, 4:25

france-eesti wrote:Hi! It's been a while since I didn't update this :D

I think it sounds better to use the present perfect and say "since I haven't updated this".

france-eesti wrote:Nothing more, just trying to keep it up (but sadly, I discovered my Brazilian colleague is in reality a spy to against our boss so I think our conversations will be a bit less often from now...)

I know you can pro-drop a little bit in colloquial English, but for some reason we generally don't pro-drop two or three times in a row. So it sounds incomplete to my ears when you say "just trying to keep it up, but sadly discovered". Also, "to our boss" sounds somewhat non-native. It's also a little ambiguous because many times "to" and "for" are synonymous in meaning. So it's not apparent whether you mean your colleague is a spy for your boss or against. (It is from the context, but that specific phrasing is ambiguous).

france-eesti wrote:My love, my life... Sorry, I've found true love. Hours and hours of it every week, conversation, letters to my friends, writing short stories, reading books, chatting, Magyar OK exercise books... I Aam in love!!!!! I'm finishing my second book in Hungarian and am very happy to understand more and more of it (even though it's a teenager book)

You could also say "an adolescent book" or something like "a book for / aimed at teenagers/adolescents".

france-eesti wrote:I am addicted and even with Portuguese, which I love very much too, it didn't take me so badly

I would say something like "... very much too, this didn't happen" or "I didn't fall so hard".

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-07-31, 15:12

dEhiN wrote:You could also say "an adolescent book" or something like "a book for / aimed at teenagers/adolescents".

"Adolescent book" sounds to me like a book which isn't yet fully grown. The industry term is "young adult", abbreviated to "YA".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-07-31, 23:54

linguoboy wrote:The industry term is "young adult", abbreviated to "YA".

YA is possibly the most unintentionally funny abbreviations I know of in English. YA!

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-08-01, 0:25

dEhiN wrote:
france-eesti wrote:Hi! It's been a while since I didn't update this :D

I think it sounds better to use the present perfect and say "since I haven't updated this".
Still too calque-y; English doesn't use the negative to express this concept like French does. I think it should be "since I last updated this".
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-08-01, 11:58

Thanks a lot for all your help with my English! I might as well update my TAC for English then :)
So for example Twilight is Young Adult Fiction? Right! Thanks :)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-08-01, 15:17

france-eesti wrote:So for example Twilight is Young Adult Fiction? Right! Thanks :)

Yup. If you look at the relevant Wikipedia page, you'll see "young adult fiction" given as one of the genre labels (along with "romance" and "fantasy").
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-08-02, 13:59

france-eesti wrote:Como repitir o que se diz no open-space ao chefe... Az vezes acho que ainda estámos na escola!

Nós tínhamos uma caixa do Brasil com Marta escrita sobre ela. Por que mesmo as caixas cheias de pistões estão sexy :)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-08-02, 14:13

Dr. House wrote:Nós tínhamos uma caixa do Brasil com Marta escrita sobre ela. Por que mesmo as caixas cheias de pistões estão sexy :)

Ahoj Dr House! :D
(I forgot TAC in [flag=]cs[/flag] : after one trip to Prague, I'm sorry to say I still don't understand when Tleskac is singing :lol: but they remain my favourite band! I swore to myself if they get together again and make other albums then I'll study Czech!)

Unfortunately, I don't get what you mean about "Caixa cheia de pistões"... de que deseja falar? :hmm: Não veio onde está a piada :P

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-08-03, 10:52

I wanted to say that we had a crate from Brazil where I work. And that the crate was probably full of pistons, because that's our main item. The box was called Marta, so I immediately thought of some carnival chick.

Česky třeba za rok. :)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-08-03, 17:28

Dr. House wrote:
france-eesti wrote:Como repitir o que se diz no open-space ao chefe... Az vezes acho que ainda estámos na escola!

Nós tínhamos uma caixa do Brasil com Marta escrito sobre ela. Por que mesmo as caixas cheias de pistões estão sexy :)
:hmm: :hmm:

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-08-18, 11:31

(pt)
I was feeling really anxious about my level in Portuguese so I took a few tests... It seems it's okay, so what's happening, why am I making all those mistakes? :doggy:
Test Portugais.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-08-18, 23:29

france-eesti wrote:(pt)
I was feeling really anxious about my level in Portuguese so I took a few tests

Where did you take this test? Qual sítio?

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”