TAC 2016 (ich) Spanish, Norwegian, Russian, and French

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: ''', Global Moderators, Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2016 (ich) Spanish, Norwegian, Russian, and French

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-27, 13:05

Hey, ich, it's nice to see you back again! :) I have a job now, too. Luckily, I do like mine, but it took me a while to get to the point where I felt like I was managing to balance work with my personal language-learning. Now I guess the main problem for me is more like balancing language-learning with following politics given who our next president is going to be. :P

ich

Postby ich » 2017-02-20, 0:41

Hi everybody!
vijayjohn wrote:Hey, ich, it's nice to see you back again! :) I have a job now, too. Luckily, I do like mine, but it took me a while to get to the point where I felt like I was managing to balance work with my personal language-learning. Now I guess the main problem for me is more like balancing language-learning with following politics given who our next president is going to be. :P

Thanks for your post vijayjohn. :) That is awesome that you were able to find a nice balance between language-learning and your career. I am still working on that balance, but I feel like I am getting better at it. I am still doing a bit of soul-searching, however, regarding my career. Some days, I don't mind my job, but then on others, the time it takes to do my job, gets to me, as well as the social aspect. Sometimes, I am a bit nervous in social situations.
Have you been keeping up with all the political news that you were now going to try to squeeze into your schedule? There has been plenty of it!

My language-learning: As far as Norwegian is concerned, I am proud to say, that in the past 6 weeks, I have not gone backwards at all in my learning, and in fact, I even moved slightly forward. I finished two more circles on the Duolingo App, and my previous ones are all caught up. When I work on the app, I feel like the sounds of the language and the vocab are not as buried in the back of my head like it was at Christmas time, when I tried to get back into it again. I found sort of a system that has been working for me. Every Sat. morning for a few hours, I work on my Norwegian a little bit. That is just enough to keep it fresh. More than that seems daunting, when I know I still need to work that evening on correcting papers and what not.
My Spanish is still slowly and surely improving. I feel like my basics are getting really strong, however, I am not advancing and solidifying my more advanced knowledge of the language, like the usages of the preterite and imperfect or subjunctive vs indicative. I know them, but some of the irregulars I don't remember, nor can I use those tenses in conversation. When I do get a little time to focus on Spanish, I want a break from work, therefore, I prefer to run toward Norwegian or reading in German in my free time. We will see how motivated I will be in the summer....to be continued...

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-02-20, 1:05

Wow, great job with your language-learning, ich! I personally just don't have much patience for Duolingo. :lol: I try using it from time to time, though. I wish they'd hurry up and release Swahili already, and that Hindi would follow fast on its heels.
ich wrote:Have you been keeping up with all the political news that you were now going to try to squeeze into your schedule? There has been plenty of it!

No! Which is scary given that if things get bad enough in this country, I may have to flee for my life with my entire family, and that too for a country where I don't expect all that much in the way of personal liberties.

Now I guess I just have to try to get enough sleep. :P

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”