TAC 2016 - dEhiN

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

dEhiN
Re: TAC 2016 - dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-11-17, 4:10

vijayjohn wrote:Dankewol? Dankewol isn't a German word.

Really? Isn't there a German word that's similar then? Or am I mixing a somewhat similar sounding, but totally different word in German with dankewol?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-11-17, 4:28

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Dankewol? Dankewol isn't a German word.

Really? Isn't there a German word that's similar then? Or am I mixing a somewhat similar sounding, but totally different word in German with dankewol?

Danke means 'thank you' in German, of course, and wohl is also a word in German (as is jawohl/jawoll), but I can't think of anything in German that sounds like dankewol. Dutch has dank je wel or dankjewel, though, meaning 'thank you very much'.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-11-17, 4:38

vijayjohn wrote:Danke means 'thank you' in German, of course, and wohl is also a word in German (as is jawohl/jawoll), but I can't think of anything in German that sounds like dankewol. Dutch has dank je wel or dankjewel, though, meaning 'thank you very much'.

Then maybe I mixed up German wohl, especially jawohl, with Dutch dankjewel. I've heard dank je wel before, so that's why something went off in my head when I learned dankewol in Frisian. Perhaps I also mixed up Dutch wel and German wohl?!

Anyway, dankewol for helping me sort it out! :D
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-11-17, 4:42

Maybe you just noticed that dankewol and dankjewel are similar. Maybe dankewol is a calque on dankjewel or something, idk.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2016-11-17, 9:44

dEhiN wrote:
Car wrote:The Dutch course is good, but some of the stuff will sound awfully familiar to you from the Frisian course. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about the Italian courses.

Dankewol! This seems to be used in Frisian as well as German; I wonder if it's a loanword or cognate?

As for Italian, French, Spanish and Portuguese take care of that! It's like as soon as I see a basic word, there's a 50% chance I can guess the meaning. That doesn't work when writing obviously, nor when speaking or listening.

I actually meant that some of the material/dialogues in the course will feel familiar to you, the linguistic similarities are obvious enough anyway.

No, German has danke schön though.
Please correct my mistakes!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-11-28, 6:43

I just realized this is my first time taking a language course in over 10 years, and the first one I'm actually attending and putting in the work in over 15 years! I think that's why I'm finding it so difficult with Korean. It seems like a neverending deluge of new vocabulary.

I think my sleep struggles (see the Health thread) also contribute because with self-study, when I have the energy, I can study. And when I don't, I don't have to worry about it. But last week I was pretty depressed and slept a lot. I even missed a class 2 weeks ago due to sleeping. So now I have 2 weeks to catch up, plus an individual and group assignment.

Hopefully I'll have a high energy phase this week and catch up. Also, next semester I'm either going to take Portuguese, Spanish, or French. So hopefully that'll be a little easier since I'll be more familiar with the language.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-12-06, 14:14

Yesterday night I had to present my individual assignment. It went quite well! I ended up creating the actual PowerPoint presentation at the last minute. (I even tweeted about it!) Unfortunately because of this, I didn't give myself enough time to properly review all that I typed up, and made 2 errors that I knew better. But my teacher did say that my pronunciation was really good!

Unfortunately I didn't get that burst of energy I was hoping for last week. I was able to eventually focus on the biggest priority for class - my individual presentation. A friend helped me break down what was important. The group assignment was just as important, but I didn't have the aptitude to focus on both last week. (Even with me focusing on the one project, I still finished it at the last minute!) So yesterday night, after class, I hastily worked on the group assignment with my group.

This leaves me with this week to concentrate on the exam. My teacher is so nice: she gave us a review of the final, which basically showed all the questions, and then she gave us the answers, at least to the non-open-ended questions! She did that for the midterm too. I could just memorize the answers, but since the point of this class is for me to learn Korean, I'm going to try and catch up on the chapter that I basically missed during the last few weeks due to my mood.

In other news, I'm not sure what I'll do once the class is done. My final is Dec. 12. Part of me would like to take the opportunity to catch up on Anki (which I fell behind in on daily reviews; I went several days without any reviewing, and now am only doing about 5-10 words per day, but this means that I have about 233 words [as of yesterday] which need to be reviewed!), but I'm sure that if I spend this whole week studying hard for Korean, after the exam I'll want to mentally relax for a few days. I would also like to continue a project I started about a month ago of adding in all the vocabulary I've learned over the years, and is in my various language notebooks, into Anki.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-12-17, 5:03

My class is finished! Yay! This week I haven't been doing too much language-learning wise. I've done a little Anki review, but apparently I'm about 400 words behind in review.

Next semester I need to take a course, but not sure whether to do French, Spanish or Portuguese. I was evaluated to start at Level 5 of 9 for French, Level 3 of 6 for Spanish, and my college only has one Portuguese course. (Though to be fair, 9 levels for French doesn't mean I'll be fluent of advanced. Apparently the French coordinator evaluated the level 9 course as being something like B2.3 using the CEFR system.)

I also want to really focus on Tamil next year. I think I will do Tamil for my TAC 2017; that will be different since I've always focused my TAC around all the languages I'm learning. I still want to catch up on my Anki review before I start Tamil and before the new course starts.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-12-28, 8:54

I'm closing my TAC 2016. I've decided to focus on 4 specific languages for next year. Language-study wise, this year ended poorly. Basically I ended up doing no study - even with Anki - after my course ended. The only good news is that I got A+ in my Korean course. So yay! :partyhat:

I just spent some time going through my Anki deck and suspending all the cards (plus doing some other updates). I'm going to relearn the cards for the 4 languages I'll do for my TAC 2017.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”