TAC Meera 2016

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Meera
Re: TAC Meera 2016

Postby Meera » 2016-09-14, 15:17

vijayjohn wrote:That's my understanding of it, yes (though probably eskandar or Saim or someone like that would know better than me ;)).

Okay thank you Vijay! :mrgreen:
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-09-19, 17:20

My Japanese class is absolutely awesome. It is so much fun that I actually get excited to go on Tuesday and Thursday nights! My sensei prints out worksheets of Kanji to learn every week and she keeps them on the board throughout the whole week and we go over them at the start of each class. We also re-enact the dialogues with note cards and she makes everyone do it! Oh and she is trying to organize a trip to a Japanese bookstore in New York!! I'm also reading a children's book called Terry Treetop Finds New Friends in bilingual Japanese and English.
अहिंसा/เจ

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2016-09-19, 17:34

Meera wrote:Oh and she is trying to organize a trip to a Japanese bookstore in New York!!

Save up for that trip. My wallet is always significantly lighter after I leave there...
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-09-19, 18:52

Yasna wrote:
Meera wrote:Oh and she is trying to organize a trip to a Japanese bookstore in New York!!

Save up for that trip. My wallet is always significantly lighter after I leave there...

I will! Which price range are the books there about?
अहिंसा/เจ

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2016-09-19, 19:46

Meera wrote:I will! Which price range are the books there about?

There's quite a range at Kinokuniya. Some small paperback novels or manga volumes might cost only 7 dollars, but the newest hardcover stuff might be around 25 dollars. I'll bet they have some great stuff for learners too, but I didn't discover the store until after I was past that stage so I haven't checked. And then there are some really nice art books for animes and video games that can be up to 50 dollars. There was a Zelda art book I really wanted, but I couldn't bring myself to spend 50 dollars on it and then it went out of print... There is also a nice cafe on the second floor which you will want to check out.

Btw, I don't know if you are a cat person, but another Japan-themed thing to do in NYC is cat cafes. I went to Koneko last time and would recommend it to any cat lover.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-10-04, 17:03

Yasna wrote:
Meera wrote:I will! Which price range are the books there about?

There's quite a range at Kinokuniya. Some small paperback novels or manga volumes might cost only 7 dollars, but the newest hardcover stuff might be around 25 dollars. I'll bet they have some great stuff for learners too, but I didn't discover the store until after I was past that stage so I haven't checked. And then there are some really nice art books for animes and video games that can be up to 50 dollars. There was a Zelda art book I really wanted, but I couldn't bring myself to spend 50 dollars on it and then it went out of print... There is also a nice cafe on the second floor which you will want to check out.

Btw, I don't know if you are a cat person, but another Japan-themed thing to do in NYC is cat cafes. I went to Koneko last time and would recommend it to any cat lover.

Thanks Yasna! I will definitely save up for it :)
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-10-06, 16:31

Update

[flag=]ar[/flag]Classes are going well, but extremely stressful and tons of work. The workload is making me not have a life. I don't even know what Bollywood is anymore. :rotfl: We are doing a lot on the cases, and I have tons of assignments where I need to fill in the case. It is quite hard and I don't know why we are doing this when no one uses them anyway ugh. Last week I had a quiz on Mariam Chedid and that was pretty interesting. I have been writing my Arabic notes in Hindi also :P

[flag=]ja[/flag] Still going good, the class is eaiser than I expected. I recently got the Japanese from Zero book.

Randomly, in my free time (when I get any :P) I have been doing the coursera course for Korean and it is really fun. I'm trying to learn the script and I know it is simple but it is taking me a long time. :oops:
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-10-06, 16:51

I have decided to add Korean. But for now I mainly just want to focus on the script.
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-10-07, 5:27

Meera wrote:I'm trying to learn the script and I know it is simple but it is taking me a long time. :oops:

It's okay. It took me a long time, too. ;)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-10-07, 16:58

vijayjohn wrote:
Meera wrote:I'm trying to learn the script and I know it is simple but it is taking me a long time. :oops:

It's okay. It took me a long time, too. ;)

Haha that is good to know. People say it is one of the most easy scripts, but it is still taking me so long :P There's so many combinations.
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-10-07, 17:07

Scripts take a long time to learn just in general IME. I think the only script that hasn't taken me a long time to learn is Cyrillic, and that's only if we count being able to read the letters in print, plus it's not that different from Roman script.

Actually, the only times it's been really easy for me to learn a script are when I kind of know it already. :P You know, like learning how to read Urdu when you already know how to read Arabic and Persian.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2016-10-07, 22:12

vijayjohn wrote:I think the only script that hasn't taken me a long time to learn is Cyrillic, and that's only if we count being able to read the letters in print, plus it's not that different from Roman script.

Last week some guy was trying to convince me that the hardest part about Russian is learning Cyrillic. He seemed fassungslos when I told him I had learned it in an afternoon.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-10-08, 14:35

Unilang is the only place I know an American talking to an Indian (or Indian American, I don't know) about Russian language drops a word from German in the middle of a sentence out of the blue.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-10-08, 15:44

Osias wrote:Unilang is the only place I know an American talking to an Indian (or Indian American, I don't know) about Russian language drops a word from German in the middle of a sentence out of the blue.

Well, yes, an Indian American (I was born and raised here in the US and still live in the same house I've spent most of my life in in fact, most of my posts, including this one, have been from the same bedroom I've had since I was less than seven years old lol), though Indian and American both work, too. I have dual citizenship after all. :P

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-10-08, 19:28

:shock: I've live in kind of 20 houses from several cities of 4 Brazilian states on (in? from?) two timezones (why does chrome's spelling checker underlines "timezones"? :hmm: ), yet 99% of my life I spoke and heard Brazilian Portuguese everywhere.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-10-08, 20:04

Yeah, but your parents aren't immigrants to Brazil, are they? Plus AFAICT, it's almost impossible to live in a city in the US without coming across a fairly wide range of immigrants. :) The US has had several large waves of immigration by now and includes what used to be half of Mexico.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-10-09, 0:27

Also I think most immigrants here are on Rio and SP. This city is quite... roça. I was going to type "provincial" but it sounds like an eufemism.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-10-10, 18:36

vijayjohn wrote:Scripts take a long time to learn just in general IME. I think the only script that hasn't taken me a long time to learn is Cyrillic, and that's only if we count being able to read the letters in print, plus it's not that different from Roman script.

Actually, the only times it's been really easy for me to learn a script are when I kind of know it already. :P You know, like learning how to read Urdu when you already know how to read Arabic and Persian.

Yeah that's true or if the scripts are extremely similar, like going from Devanagari to Gurmukhi is really easy.
अहिंसा/เจ

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2016-10-10, 20:48

I'm totally allergic to learning new scripts (not counting variations on scripts I already know). It's my embarrassing Achilles heel when it comes to language learning. At this point I've literally forgotten as many scripts (Hebrew, Armenian, and Korean) as I currently know (Latin, Arabic, and Cyrillic).
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-10-11, 0:05

Meera wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Scripts take a long time to learn just in general IME. I think the only script that hasn't taken me a long time to learn is Cyrillic, and that's only if we count being able to read the letters in print, plus it's not that different from Roman script.

Yeah that's true or if the scripts are extremely similar, like going from Devanagari to Gurmukhi is really easy.

Gurmukhi was actually kind of hard for me. :lol: Like I'd see ਕ and keep confusing it with Devanagari र. :P Gurmukhi and Oriya script were the last two Indian scripts I learned, after the Tamil, Kannada, Telugu, Gujarati, and Bengali scripts (and of course Devanagari, Urdu script, and Malayalam script).

EDIT: Though I should add that that's not to say Gurmukhi was harder than the ones I learned before it! I just took a long time to get around to learning it.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”