TAC Meera 2016

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

voron
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC Meera 2016

Postby voron » 2016-06-14, 7:12

Yay Turkish! Good luck and kolay gelsin! Now that Michael is going to concentrate on Turkish too, we've got quite a team.

Yes, I think Duo Turkish is good, too. It was the first non IE language added to Duo and the tree was redesigned completely to fit the language's structure. (Unlike the English from Turkish course, which was just copypasted from the other English courses and the result is no so good).

n8an

Postby n8an » 2016-06-14, 7:27

voron wrote:Yay Turkish! Good luck and kolay gelsin! Now that Michael is going to concentrate on Turkish too, we've got quite a team.

Yes, I think Duo Turkish is good, too. It was the first non IE language added to Duo and the tree was redesigned completely to fit the language's structure. (Unlike the English from Turkish course, which was just copypasted from the other English courses and the result is no so good).

That's really interesting/cool! I knew I liked it for a reason :D

I've only ever used Duolingo, and a tiny bit of that book "The Delights of Learning Turkish". I couldn't make my way through that :( But I will get back to Turkish some time :D

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-14, 16:11

n8an wrote:
Meera wrote:Instead of Chinese, I have decided to add Turkish to my TAC (well only for the summer).

[flag=]tr[/flag] So resources I am using for Turkish:
Duolingo
Teach Yourself Turkish
Elementary Turkish

So my updated TAC list:
Hindi
Japanese
Turkish (summer only)
Arabic

Also this fall I will be taking Japanese again, I signed up today. I'm so excited. :mrgreen:

I loved Duolingo's Turkish! I feel that I learned quite a lot from the parts that I did.

How are the other Turkish books?

I really like it too. It is a fun course. I also loved how they included Hiçbir şey bilmiyorsun, Jon Snow! :lol:

The TY Turkish is quite good, I like it a lot :mrgreen:
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-14, 16:23

voron wrote:Yay Turkish! Good luck and kolay gelsin! Now that Michael is going to concentrate on Turkish too, we've got quite a team.

Yeah I hope I can start posting on the Turkish forum soon! For Duo my two favorite courses so far have been Turkish and Swedish. You can tell the creators had a lot of fun in making them. I have only actually finished French and Spanish but the Turkish and Swedish sentences are so much fun. I think after I finish my Turkish tree I will try to finish Swedish just for fun :P I also like that Turkish one has some Turkish cultural things in it. For example one sentence is something like "Tarkan is a handsome man" and one was "There are many Mosques in Istanbul".

And I love the the Turkish word for owl, Baykuş lol It sounds like Mr. bird lolol
अहिंसा/เจ

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2016-06-15, 2:49

I didn't get too far with the Swedish tree, but it does seem quite well done. The French tree is probably the hardest one of all the ones I've done (I've finished Fr, De, Es and Ga). French was one of the first trees Duo made and the content hasn't been really reworked, just re-organized a few times (god, that makes me miss how Duo used to be--all cool and flow chart-y in its layout). More recent trees have benefited from the mistakes they made with the earlier ones. I gripe about the Irish tree, but at least it doesn't throw advanced sentences at you when you're barely past your first checkpoint, like the French and German trees.

I'd love to study Turkish but I just don't have the time and energy for extra languages. :( There's a number of trees on Duo now I wish I had time for: Turkish, Russian, Italian, Welsh, Vietnamese...funny because I remember when Duo only had a handful of trees and I'd whine about being bored with the French and German trees, wishing they had more languages for me to dabble in. :lol:

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-15, 3:23

ceid donn wrote:I didn't get too far with the Swedish tree, but it does seem quite well done. The French tree is probably the hardest one of all the ones I've done (I've finished Fr, De, Es and Ga). French was one of the first trees Duo made and the content hasn't been really reworked, just re-organized a few times (god, that makes me miss how Duo used to be--all cool and flow chart-y in its layout). More recent trees have benefited from the mistakes they made with the earlier ones. I gripe about the Irish tree, but at least it doesn't throw advanced sentences at you when you're barely past your first checkpoint, like the French and German trees.

I'd love to study Turkish but I just don't have the time and energy for extra languages. :( There's a number of trees on Duo now I wish I had time for: Turkish, Russian, Italian, Welsh, Vietnamese...funny because I remember when Duo only had a handful of trees and I'd whine about being bored with the French and German trees, wishing they had more languages for me to dabble in. :lol:

I agree the French tree was super hard, it took me over a year to complete it when I was doing consistently. :(
अहिंसा/เจ

n8an

Postby n8an » 2016-06-15, 3:27

I enjoyed the Swedish tree too!

I had like a week of fascination with Swedish and did quite a bit of the tree. I've probably forgotten everything now, but it was fun.

I think Swedish was one of the first and only languages where I actually thought "hmm...do I really need this, even though I like it?" and put it aside for now :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-06-15, 3:33

I haven't touched Duolingo in months. I guess that's because I've been mostly just working on my grandfather's diary and my Malayalam (mostly in the process of working on that diary), and of course Duolingo is nowhere close to having anything for Malayalam yet. :P

n8an

Postby n8an » 2016-06-15, 3:37

Btw Meera, the Hebrew tree should be coming soon!

Will you be tempted to give it a look? :P

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-15, 15:47

n8an wrote:I enjoyed the Swedish tree too!

I had like a week of fascination with Swedish and did quite a bit of the tree. I've probably forgotten everything now, but it was fun.

I think Swedish was one of the first and only languages where I actually thought "hmm...do I really need this, even though I like it?" and put it aside for now :lol:

Yep, same here. I don't atcually need Swedish I just like it lol

And yes I will be tempted to try Hebrew :oops:
अहिंसा/เจ

Saim

Postby Saim » 2016-06-15, 16:25

Meera wrote:And yes I will be tempted to try Hebrew :oops:

כן מירה, תלמדי עברית! תאוהבי אותה. עברית כל כך דומה לערבית שלא יהיה לך קשה ללמוד.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-06-15, 21:16

Saim wrote:

כן מירה, תלמדי עברית! תאוהבי אותה. עברית כל כך דומה לערבית שלא יהיה לך קשה ללמוד.

What Saim said.
Do it Meera, Hebrew is awesome. :wink:

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-15, 21:22

Okay when the duo course comes out I will check it out.
अहिंसा/เจ

n8an

Postby n8an » 2016-06-16, 0:17

księżycowy wrote:
Saim wrote:

What Saim said.
Do it Meera, Hebrew is awesome. :wink:

Look at all you guys and your Hebrew :<3: :olympic:

I kinda just want Meera to look at Hebrew just so I can finally help her with something after all the help she's given me over the years :rotfl:

n8an

Postby n8an » 2016-06-21, 23:26

Meera wrote:Okay when the duo course comes out I will check it out.

Weeeeeelllllll, Dulingo Hebrew is out :D

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-22, 16:27

Oh wow! I am going to try it!
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-25, 16:44

This isn't really an update but I just want to say I can't believe how much I really love Lebanese/Levantine. It is such a fun dialect.
अहिंसा/เจ

n8an

Postby n8an » 2016-06-25, 20:51

Meera wrote:This isn't really an update but I just want to say I can't believe how much I really love Lebanese/Levantine. It is such a fun dialect.

Lebanese is definitely the best :<3:

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-25, 21:31

n8an wrote:
Meera wrote:This isn't really an update but I just want to say I can't believe how much I really love Lebanese/Levantine. It is such a fun dialect.

Lebanese is definitely the best :<3:

Yes I love it. :mrgreen:
अहिंसा/เจ

n8an

Postby n8an » 2016-06-25, 23:45

Meera wrote:Yes I love it. :mrgreen:

You know in theory Egyptian is the most "useful" dialect, but I've always felt that Lebanese is at least equal. I feel like almost as much music is in Lebanese as Egyptian, and there is so much media from Lebanon. Movies are still the domain of Egyptian, though. Additionally. singers from other countries still prefer to sing in Egyptian if they want wider success - singing in Lebanese is nowhere near as common for foreign singers. Still, I feel Lebanese is equally as useful overall!

Also, I kind of feel that Lebanese is a bit closer to Khaleeji and Iraqi than Egyptian is :D

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”