TAC Meera 2016

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Meera
Re: TAC Meera 2016

Postby Meera » 2016-10-11, 17:15

vijayjohn wrote:
Meera wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Scripts take a long time to learn just in general IME. I think the only script that hasn't taken me a long time to learn is Cyrillic, and that's only if we count being able to read the letters in print, plus it's not that different from Roman script.

Actually, the only times it's been really easy for me to learn a script are when I kind of know it already. :P You know, like learning how to read Urdu when you already know how to read Arabic and Persian.

Yeah that's true or if the scripts are extremely similar, like going from Devanagari to Gurmukhi is really easy.

Gurmukhi was actually kind of hard for me. :lol: Like I'd see ਕ and keep confusing it with Devanagari र. :P Gurmukhi and Oriya script were the last two Indian scripts I learned, after the Tamil, Kannada, Telugu, Gujarati, and Bengali scripts (and of course Devanagari, Urdu script, and Malayalam script).

EDIT: Though I should add that that's not to say Gurmukhi was harder than the ones I learned before it! I just took a long time to get around to learning it.

Haha when I was doing Punjabi I would write something in Gurmukhi and then accidentally switch to Devanagari so it would look like :

ਸਤਿ श्री ਅਕਾਲ जी :lol:
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-10-11, 17:29

Update:

[flag=]ko[/flag] First update for Korean today (haha it seems so weird to be writing that). So I have done three weeks of the coursera class. So far we learned the alphabet which I'm honestly still struggling with.
So far I learned how to say:

안녕하세요 ! 제 이름은 미라 이에요. 저는 미국 사람이에요.
저는 학생입니다.

Not a lot so far. I never realized how much vowel harmony Korean has.
अहिंसा/เจ

n8an

Postby n8an » 2016-10-21, 8:06

Meera wrote:Hello everyone! This is a pretty random place to ask this question but hopefully someone can answer it here. I will maybe post it in the Arabic forum as well. Anyway in my Levantine class we learned about عم so I was wondering if عم is always used in the continuous present tense? is it like रहा/रही in Hindi?

Hi Meera :D

"عم" is mostly used, but I can't say "always". It also depends on the dialect, in my opinion - Lebanese seems to use it more than Palestinian, for example (unless I'm just imagining it).

Then again, it's hard to differentiate between the following phrases and similar ones (at least for me, as I'm not a native)

شو عم بيصير؟
VS.
شو صاير؟

Both are different to شو بيصير, but it's hard for me to explain the differences between the two above.

Also, عم followed by a conjugated verb can be with or without the b- prefix. It seems to apply when it "sounds" right (compare عم باكل vs. عم فكر and عم بعمل vs. عم تعمل).

As a slightly irrelevant side note:

There's nothing that really compares to it in Egyptian (as far as I'm aware anyway), though there are similar things in Khaleeji and Iraqi.

Khaleeji uses قاعد\قاعدة in a similar way before the verb.

"I listen to you" = انا اسمعك
"I AM listenING to you" = انا قاعد اسمعك

"I eat falafel" = انا اكل فلافل
"I AM eatING felafel" = انا قاعدة اكل فلافل

Iraqi uses د- attached to the start of the verb in the following way:

"I talk to my brother" = اني احچي ويا اخي
"I AM talkING to my brother" = اني داحچي ويا اخي

"What do you do?" = شتسوي؟
"What ARE you doING?" = شدتسوي؟

"I eat felafel" = اني اكل\اچل فلافل (I'm not sure if k->ch in this case)
"I AM eatING felafel" = اني داكل\داچل فلافل

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-10-21, 18:36

n8an wrote:
Meera wrote:Hello everyone! This is a pretty random place to ask this question but hopefully someone can answer it here. I will maybe post it in the Arabic forum as well. Anyway in my Levantine class we learned about عم so I was wondering if عم is always used in the continuous present tense? is it like रहा/रही in Hindi?

Hi Meera :D

"عم" is mostly used, but I can't say "always". It also depends on the dialect, in my opinion - Lebanese seems to use it more than Palestinian, for example (unless I'm just imagining it).

Then again, it's hard to differentiate between the following phrases and similar ones (at least for me, as I'm not a native)

شو عم بيصير؟
VS.
شو صاير؟

Both are different to شو بيصير, but it's hard for me to explain the differences between the two above.

Also, عم followed by a conjugated verb can be with or without the b- prefix. It seems to apply when it "sounds" right (compare عم باكل vs. عم فكر and عم بعمل vs. عم تعمل).

As a slightly irrelevant side note:

There's nothing that really compares to it in Egyptian (as far as I'm aware anyway), though there are similar things in Khaleeji and Iraqi.

Khaleeji uses قاعد\قاعدة in a similar way before the verb.

"I listen to you" = انا اسمعك
"I AM listenING to you" = انا قاعد اسمعك

"I eat falafel" = انا اكل فلافل
"I AM eatING felafel" = انا قاعدة اكل فلافل

Iraqi uses د- attached to the start of the verb in the following way:

"I talk to my brother" = اني احچي ويا اخي
"I AM talkING to my brother" = اني داحچي ويا اخي

"What do you do?" = شتسوي؟
"What ARE you doING?" = شدتسوي؟

"I eat felafel" = اني اكل\اچل فلافل (I'm not sure if k->ch in this case)
"I AM eatING felafel" = اني داكل\داچل فلافل

Thanks for the explanation! So if I forgot to use 3m the meaning would still be the same?
अहिंसा/เจ

n8an

Postby n8an » 2016-10-21, 21:15

Meera wrote:Thanks for the explanation! So if I forgot to use 3m the meaning would still be the same?

No :)

If I ask you "shu 3am t3mol?", I'm asking you "what ARE you doING?". If I say "shu bt3mol?", it's more like I'm asking "what do you do?" (in general).

What I meant about the بيصير thing was that I'm not 100% sure what the difference is between saying "shu sayer?" vs "shu 3am byseer?". They both sound like the progressive present tense to me, and both differ to "shu byseer?", which seems more present indicative. I know that there is probably a different name for both technically, but in regular spoken language I'm not quite sure what the difference is.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-10-22, 2:36

Okay, thank you so much Na8n!
अहिंसा/เจ

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2016-10-27, 4:49

n8an wrote:
Meera wrote:There's nothing that really compares to it in Egyptian (as far as I'm aware anyway), though there are similar things in Khaleeji and Iraqi.

Egyptian has عمّال which is comparable to عم in Levantine. The use of قاعد you describe in Kuwaiti is also used in Egyptian.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-10-30, 6:31

Meera wrote:Update:

[flag=]ko[/flag] First update for Korean today (haha it seems so weird to be writing that). So I have done three weeks of the coursera class. So far we learned the alphabet which I'm honestly still struggling with.
So far I learned how to say:

안녕하세요 ! 제 이름은 미라 이에요. 저는 미국 사람이에요.
저는 학생입니다.

Not a lot so far. I never realized how much vowel harmony Korean has.

You could say 저는 학생이애요 as well. It seems odd (I think) for you to use 이애요 and then switch to 입니다. Basically how we learned it was that 이애요/예요 is the polite form and 입니다 is the formal form (being higher than polite).,

Also you don't have to use 이름, you could use 저 instead. What we've been practicing is basically condensing what you wrote:

안녕하세요! 저는 데이비드예요. 캐나다 사람이에요. 학생이애요.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

n8an

Postby n8an » 2016-10-30, 14:48

eskandar wrote:Egyptian has عمّال which is comparable to عم in Levantine. The use of قاعد you describe in Kuwaiti is also used in Egyptian.

Mmm, not sure if عمال is the same (I can't think of when I would use it?), but it's not as common as عم. Can you maybe give me some examples please?

As for قاعد in Egyptian, it's also definitely not as common as it is in Khaleeji. I actually don't think I've heard it used much in that way. I admit that I'm not an expert in Egyptian but I do hang out with Egyptians and listen to music/watch TV where possible. Can you give me an example of it, please? It sounds really weird to my brain.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2016-10-30, 20:03

n8an wrote:Mmm, not sure if عمال is the same (I can't think of when I would use it?), but it's not as common as عم. Can you maybe give me some examples please?

They may not be exactly the same, but they are etymologically linked and at least comparable. You're right that عمّال isn't used as frequently as عم is in Levantine.

عمّال يروح - he keeps on going; he [often, always] goes

As for قاعد in Egyptian, it's also definitely not as common as it is in Khaleeji. I actually don't think I've heard it used much in that way. I admit that I'm not an expert in Egyptian but I do hang out with Egyptians and listen to music/watch TV where possible. Can you give me an example of it, please? It sounds really weird to my brain.

هو قاعد ما بيعملش حاجة - he's sitting around doing nothing
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

n8an

Postby n8an » 2016-10-31, 22:57

eskandar wrote:They may not be exactly the same, but they are etymologically linked and at least comparable. You're right that عمّال isn't used as frequently as عم is in Levantine.

عمّال يروح - he keeps on going; he [often, always] goes

Fair enough. Yeah, I think that's a little bit different - in Lebanese "3am" basically adds the conjugated "to be" verb and "-ing" at the end. I can see the similarity though.

هو قاعد ما بيعملش حاجة - he's sitting around doing nothing

Hmm yeah I see that. I think an equivalent to the Khaleeji version in Egyptian (if it existed) might be something like مش قاعد يعمل حاجة. I dunno, I can't make sense of it :roll: :?

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-11-22, 19:17

Thank you for the help everyone. :mrgreen:
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-12-17, 18:02

Some updates (I will write a longer one later) but honestly after this semester I want to rest my brain.

-I signed up for the next level of Japanese, I'm super super excited, I just hope they get enough people so the class isn't canceled. Sensei gave me a Kanji packet to work on and asked us to memorize them before the next class.

-For my final in MSA Arabic I had to record my self speaking for twenty minutes on any topic I chose, it was actually pretty easy and I ended up almost going over twenty minutes because I was talking about Game of Thrones.

-I have been doing some Korean on coursera with their next Korean course and it is pretty fun but Korean is hard. Btw for anyone interested in Mandarin Coursera has a four course specialization in it called "Hello Chinese".

Here are some things from the Coursera Korean course I learned:

고향에 바다가 있어요 (My hometown is on the ocean)

제주도가 아름다워요 (Jeju Island is beautiful)

위 On

아래 Under

앞 In front of

근처 Near (around)

밖 (outside)

바다 (sea)

우산 (Umbrella)

공원- Park
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-12-17, 18:17

[flag=]ar[/flag] Since my classes have ended I have been working on Chapter 8 of Al-Kitaab Part 2. Some of the words from the chapter:

أَرض - أراضٍ/الأراضي

حَلقة - حَلَقات

حينَ

خاتِم - خَواتِم

الخليج

خَيمة - خِيَم

اِرتَفَعَ

زَيَّنَ

زينة

أشبَهَ

طَبلة

إعلان - إعلانات

فَترة

مَوقِع - مَواقِع
(word for website :P)

عيد الميلاد
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-17, 18:30

Meera wrote:word for website :P

This reminds me that I have this phrasebook for Pashto that says that "brishnaalik" means 'e-mail' and comes from "breshnaa," which means 'electricity'. It also says that "baaghi" means 'eczema'. Is any of that correct? Those were some of the first few words I ever learned in Pashto. :lol:

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-12-17, 18:56

[flag=]hi[/flag] Some words I picked up while reading the news in Hindi this week.

तहख़ाने (तहख़ाना)

तहख़ाने से हसीन शहर को बचाने की कोशिश

राजनीतिक दलों
राजनीतिक दलों के खातों की जांच के लिए पर्याप्त प्रावधान: सीबीडीटी
http://abpnews.abplive.in/india-news/en ... bdt-518770

शामिल
केंद्रीय प्रत्यक्ष कर बोर्ड (सीबीडीटी) ने एक बयान में कहा है कि रजिस्टर्ड राजनीतिक दलों को दिए जाने वाले चंदे को कुछ शर्तों के साथ कर छूट है जिसमें खातों की ऑडिट और 20,000 रुपये से अधिक के सभी चंदे कर दायरे में शामिल हैं.

गतिरोध,विद्रोहियों,बयान
http://www.bbc.com/hindi/international-38346563

फंसे लोगों को निकालने का अभियान थमा
http://www.bbc.com/hindi/international-38347952
मुताबिक
कब्ज़ा
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-12-17, 19:01

vijayjohn wrote:
Meera wrote:word for website :P

This reminds me that I have this phrasebook for Pashto that says that "brishnaalik" means 'e-mail' and comes from "breshnaa," which means 'electricity'. It also says that "baaghi" means 'eczema'. Is any of that correct? Those were some of the first few words I ever learned in Pashto. :lol:

Yes, this could be because I live in the US but no one I know uses Brishnaalik we say email, I guess it's because Afghanistan doesn't have much access to the internet in the past I dk :P and I'm not sure about Eczema, I think it may be right.
अहिंसा/เจ

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-01-08, 5:44

vijayjohn wrote:It also says that "baaghi" means 'eczema'.

Eczema is the most revolutionary of all skin conditions. Down with the reactionary acne and fungal infections!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-08, 6:25

I didn't even know baaghi meant that in Hindi/Urdu (and Punjabi?) until now! :lol:

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-01-08, 7:26

vijayjohn wrote:baaghi meant that in Hindi/Urdu (and Punjabi?)

Yes, I learned it in Punjabi before I ever heard it in Urdu. As far as I can tell historical Perso-Arabic loans are pretty much the same in Punjabi and Urdu (although Punjabi often has a more common indigenous alternative, like اَوکھا vs مُشکل or پاسے vs طرف), because both were under the same influence of Persian during the same time period, and then Punjabi was also directly influenced by Urdu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gR_Vib75Uc

گو، گو باغی باغی! :P

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”