TAC 2016 - Mike - Turkish, Portuguese

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Michael
Re: TAC 2016 - Mike - Turkish, Portuguese

Postby Michael » 2016-11-11, 16:34

[flag=]tr[/flag] I've decided to foray into Turkish headfirst this time ‘round! Azerbaijani will have to take second seat for now.

I'm using Starting Turkish to get a general overview of the basics. It's the handiest illustrated book I've ever encounteredI! It actually teaches you how to communicate in Turkish. You don't have to even use the CD to get a lot out of it. I'm also using Colloquial Turkish (not a book of the Hippocrene titles, but a book from the 70's, the best there is IMO) to solidify a basic knowledge of the language.

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] Nenhum progresso em A intimação, mas vou tentar começar a ler o terceiro capítulo quando tiver acabado umas lições de turco.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2016-11-11, 18:17

Michael wrote:[flag=]tr[/flag] I've decided to foray into Turkish headfirst this time ‘round!

:y: Enjoy!

Michael

Postby Michael » 2016-11-15, 15:28

[flag=]tr[/flag] I've completed Lessons 8/36 in Colloquial Turkish (read title post for more info on this book). The lessons tend to be light, short in duration, and not as overbearing as the units I had to bore through in Elementary Azerbaijani (Limagne was right), and introduce grammar in a very immersive manner. Since I already have a background in another Oghuz language, I'm having a breeze with the material and highly enjoying myself. I will not do the exercises, as I did enough of those back when I was trying to complete the Azeri textbook; I became burnt out at the 3/4 mark from the haste of trying to get to B1 without giving enough time to let the material sink in, but I will definitely reactivate my Azerbaijani and complete the book when I reach my threshold goal of A2 speaking/B1 reading in Turkish.

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] No terceiro capítulo, os dois irmãos parecem ter resolvido as diferenças deles e estão colaborando como verdadeira família na morte iminente do pai deles, o que me pôs um sorriso na cara.

Novas palavras, Capítulo 3
cotado/a well-priced
sorrateiro/a cunning, shrewd

a arquibancada bleachers
o/a docente teacher
amontoado/a heaped, piled-up

o arremesso throw, thrust
a brecha breach, gap, wound
chutar to kick
rasteiro/a low, humble, modest

apavorar to scare, frighten
o pedestre pedestrian
desfazer (as used in this book) to unpack
o cômodo n. room, shelter; hospitality
insinuar-se para to worm oneself in, introduce oneself subtly

rosnar to snarl, growl
o porão basement

a lacuna gap, vacuum, void
o avalista guarantor
divagar to wander about
o leão-de-chácara bouncer (in a club)
a surra pounding, thrashing

rabugento/a grumpy, crabby, crass
o furo hole, bore
engomado starched up (from ironing)
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Osias

Re: TAC 2016 - Mike - Portuguese, Albanian, others on the side

Postby Osias » 2016-11-15, 19:11

Michael wrote:o saguão/sagüão lobby

a fita typewriter cartridge
Nesse contexto, sim, mas é a palavra para "tape".

a criadagem maids' quarters
Não, seriam o conjunto de criadas/criados. Se "quarters" é "rooms" então é "quartos".

há muitos esquecidos from times passed
Se foi "há muito esquecidos" sem "s" eu diria "long forgotten". Senão "there are many forgotten (itens)".

o freguês regular customer

Acho que só "customer" mas onde vivo estão usando cada vez mais "cliente" com esse sentido e usando a palavra "freguês" pros regulares.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”