TAC 2016 Koko — Italiano, Dansk

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC 2016 Koko — Italiano, Dansk

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-01-06, 1:11

Yeah, ling comes every now and then. :) Somewhat more rarely, actual native or near-native heritage speakers of Thai come on, too.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-01-06, 1:30

A post with the word "lying" and the next one with "ling" confused me for a while.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-01-06, 2:47

OB, literally almost every post you have posted on my TAC has made me lol'd :lol: Stop being funny :twisted:

vijayjohn wrote:Yeah, ling comes every now and then. :) Somewhat more rarely, actual native or near-native heritage speakers of Thai come on, too.

I hope one of 'em happens to drop by my tack when next they come on :P Or I can just ask if the copula can be dropped in Thai in the Thai thread of the no-longer-around Thai subforum and hope a Thai speaker sees my question about the Thai copula and answers (hopefully not in Thai).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-01-06, 3:03

Thaithaithaithaithaithaithai :P

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-01-06, 6:09

Koko wrote:OB, literally almost every post you have posted on my TAC has made me lol'd :lol: Stop being funny :twisted:.

I hope one of 'em happens to drop by my tack when next they come on :P Or I can just ask if the copula can be dropped in Thai in the Thai thread of the no-longer-around Thai subforum and hope a Thai speaker sees my question about the Thai copula and answers (hopefully not in Thai)

I hope that you be luckier than me.
I opened two threads about Vietnamese in the Southeast Asian forum, and only Serafín replied me.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-01-06, 6:21

vijayjohn wrote:
Random Complaint: Why is the Thai font so stupidly tiny?!! :x :evil:

'Cause programmers are pretty Western-centric, I guess. This is also why if you ever take a look at Urdu in the Hindi/Urdu forum, you'll notice that's typically written in large font here on UniLang, too.

I don't think that's the reason.
The reason is that e.g. Latin script font at 10pts is big like this, while a Thai, Arabic, Chinese, etc. script at 10p will have the same height as the Latin script. And those Asian scripts are more difficult to read at a small size.
Unfortunately, it's only possible to set the default font of a website for all scripts. You can't technically set a website to display, say, Latin script at 10p and Thai script at 14p. That's why people writing in those scripts in international forums often have to use a larger font size. And that's why UniLang has all those tags to write in Chinese, Arabic, Persian, Japanese, Thai and Devanagari.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-01-06, 7:20

But Chinese and Japanese (and even Arabic and Persian) are both a lot more legible at this size than Urdu, Pashto, or Thai (or maybe even Malayalam...although idk. I'm fine with the Malayalam part :lol:).

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-01-06, 7:22

แมวเล็ก แมวเล็ก

Didn't know bout the Thai tag :P Or at least what it did… Thanks OB!

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-01-06, 8:36

vijayjohn wrote:But Chinese and Japanese (and even Arabic and Persian) are both a lot more legible at this size than Urdu, Pashto, or Thai (or maybe even Malayalam...although idk. I'm fine with the Malayalam part :lol:).

鬱 譬 聾 囊 齉 etc. 8-)

Why are Urdu and Pashto different and less legible from Arabic and Persian? Do they use many more additional letters? :hmm:
I guess that even though Thai, etc. characters are simpler than Chinese, they are more similar to each other, and so need a larger font to be distinguished.

The inconsistent thing about the tags, is that the Chinese tags enlarge the text, but the Japanese tag doesn't.
And the Chinese tags don't enlarge the text when a colour is used. So when correcting texts with colours, the black text is larger than the coloured text… and that's why I remove the Chinese tag when correcting.
I try to use the tags when writing posts containing words in both Chinese and Japanese in order to display the correct fonts for S/T Chinese and Japanese, e.g. simp. Chinese vs trad. Chinese vs Japanese .

But in general if someone forgets to enlarge the size and it's not very readable, most modern browsers will zoom in if you press Ctrl and + (Cmd and + on the Mac). On touch-screen smartphones it's also easy to zoom in with fingers.

Koko wrote:แมวเล็ก แมวเล็ก

Didn't know bout the Thai tag :P Or at least what it did… Thanks OB!

You're welcome khap.
Last edited by OldBoring on 2016-01-06, 9:09, edited 2 times in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-01-06, 8:46

OldBoring wrote:鬱 譬 聾 etc. 8-)

Yeah, but in general...oh well. :P
Why are Urdu and Pashto different and less legible from Arabic and Persian? Does Urdu use many more additional letters? :hmm:

Kind of, yeah. Also, Urdu and Pashto are usually written in a different calligraphic style, which is even harder to read...and on my computer, even if they're written in the same style that Arabic and Persian are written in, they don't really display correctly for me. :P Urdu displays fine for me (it's even in the right calligraphic style) on the Urdu Wikipedia, but not on UniLang, it seems. :hmm:
I guess that even though Thai, etc. characters are simpler than Chinese, they are more similar to each other, and so need a larger font to be distinguished.

But the Thai ones are just small. Even the easy characters are small...meh, maybe I'm just use to small fonts. :P Also, I know that on UniLang, even at 12 pt or whatever, Thai still looks better than it does on Wikipedia. :lol:
The inconsistent thing about the tags, is that the Chinese tags enlarge the text, but the Japanese tag doesn't.

:shock:

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-01-06, 9:13

vijayjohn wrote:Kind of, yeah. Also, Urdu and Pashto are usually written in a different calligraphic style, which is even harder to read...

Nastaliq?

Urdu displays fine for me (it's even in the right calligraphic style) on the Urdu Wikipedia, but not on UniLang, it seems. :hmm:

Also, I know that on UniLang, even at 12 pt or whatever, Thai still looks better than it does on Wikipedia. :lol:

Then maybe the problem is which font is used.
Yea, it depends on how fonts are designed.
E.g. Verdana at 8 pt looks much larger (and is much more readable) than, say, Times New Roman at 8 pt.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-01-06, 16:55

OldBoring wrote:Nastaliq?

:yep:

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-01-06, 23:50

I wonder if Urdu and Pashto are more readable if you use the Arabic or Farsi tags.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-01-07, 0:09

OldBoring wrote:I wonder if Urdu and Pashto are more readable if you use the Arabic or Farsi tags.

Yes.

EDIT: Wait, never mind! It's on Google Chrome that Urdu and Pashto are (still) not readable for me, but on Mozilla, they are at least relatively readable. :hmm:

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-01-21, 8:12

Beh, suppongo sia quel tempo a cui debba fare l'aggiornamento dell'imparare le lingue :whistle:

Allora… non ho fatto niente col danese e l'islandese... Sì, capisco d'essere un bel pigrone! Ma! Essere giusto non ho anche fatto troppo fuori le lingue (q.e a scuola) di recente. Che pigro sono io!

A nota miglior, dei giorni fa ha arrivato quel libro di fumetti che vijay mi aveva consiglito. Non ho ancora cominciato a leggerlo, ma ci avevo datto uno sguardo.

Ancora aspetto il libro Er ég lítil?. Quando arriverà, i miei amici voleranno che glielo leggerò quando il neve non ci sarà più e potremmo sedere al prato. :P

Credo che sia la posta più grande in italiano che ho mai scritta qui!

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2016-01-21, 14:32

Koko wrote:Beh, suppongo sia quel tempo a cui debba il momento di fare l'aggiornamento dell'imparare sull'apprendimento delle lingue :whistle:

Allora… non ho fatto niente col danese e l'islandese... Sì, capisco d'essere un bel pigrone! Ma! Essere giusto A essere onesto non ho neanche fatto troppo fuori dalle lingue (q.e a scuola) di recente. Che pigro sono io (better: che pigro che sono)!

A nota miglior Di positivo c'è che* dei giorni fa ha è arrivato quel libro di a fumetti che vijay mi aveva consiglito. Non ho ancora cominciato a leggerlo, ma ci ho dato uno sguardo.

Ancora aspetto il libro Er ég lítil?. Quando arriverà, i miei amici vorranno (voleranno means "they will fly") che glielo leggerò legga quando il la neve non ci sarà più e potremmo sedere al prato. :P

Credo che sia la posta il post più grande in italiano che ho (personally I prefer "abbia" here) mai scritto qui!

*The closest thing that comes to my mind, literally it means "what is positive is that..."

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-01-22, 1:03

Grazie! È stato un po' dal momento che ho scritto l'italiano di ultimo.

Allora, si usa anche il congiuntivo in preposizioni relative se il primo verbo è nel congiuntivo? Interessante… mi sembra stranissimo :P Vabbè.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-01-28, 7:57

왜 so many "because"s 한국에 있어까요?

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2016-01-28, 14:09

Koko wrote:Grazie! È stato un po' dal momento che ho scritto l'italiano di ultimo Era da un po' che non scrivevo in italiano.

Allora, si usa anche il congiuntivo in preposizioni relative se il primo verbo è nel al congiuntivo? Interessante… mi sembra stranissimo :P Vabbè.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-01-30, 0:02

Jeg må virkelig skrive mere på dansk :roll: Ærlig jeg undres hvis der er nogle danskbøger her i Kamloops :hmm: Jeg tænker ikke så…

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”