2016 blog - księżyc

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Koko
Re: TAC 2016 - księżyc

Postby Koko » 2015-12-23, 22:13

księżycowy wrote:On a side note, I do hope someone is checking my Japanese. I know there aren't a lot of us Japanese learners around, especially at higher levels.

I'll check your Japanese too ;) It'll help me to check yours, for reading practice and such.

księżycowy

Re: 2016 blog - księżyc

Postby księżycowy » 2015-12-23, 22:16

ありがとう。

The more, the merrier. :wink:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-01-03, 16:16

Quite predictably, I didn't do crap language wise this week either. :P
As I hardly see my cousin, I kinda prioritized him instead.

Week of 1/3 - 1/9:
French
Started: 0
Completed: --
Last Goal: --
New Goal: 3/24

Japanese
Completed: 1
Last Goal: 5
New Goal: 5/99

Greek
Goal: 1.D/19.H
-Extra Reading
Started: N/A
Completed: N/A
Goal: N/A

Hebrew
Goal: 5/55
-Extra Reading

An interesting thing has occurred, in which my father has started reviewing some German (he took it in college and used to know it quite well). As tempted as I am to swap French for German, I think I'll hold strong. For now at least. I'm sure as hell no going to add any more to my already overfilled list. I think it can wait a bit. It's taken him this long to review it, so he can wait a little bit til I'm ready. :P

Speaking of overfilled lists and such, I've decided to prioritize two languages: French and Hebrew. I'm also going to skip the passive phase with French and will just start in on a more active study from the start. As such, I'm ditching Assimil and I'm going to start using the FSI course. I wanna start getting into the meat and potatoes!
Plus that might hopefully help me get to German faster. We shall see.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-01-03, 18:36

księżycowy wrote:As I hardly see my cousin, I kinda prioritized him instead.

Awwwwwwww! :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-01-03, 18:54

:hug:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-01-03, 21:51

:hug:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-01-04, 3:26

księżycowy wrote:I'm also going to skip the passive phase with French and will just start in on a more active study from the start. As such, I'm ditching Assimil and I'm going to start using the FSI course. I wanna start getting into the meat and potatoes!

Why do you think ditching Assimil and going with FSI will give you more meat and potatoes? Have you done the FSI French course before? Or is this experience with other FSI courses talking?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-01-04, 11:46

It's mostly my experience with Assimil that makes me say that. Assimil has allowed me to get a really good passive knowledge of whatever language, but I always have some trouble doing anything other than reading or hearing the language after going through Assimil. I do like their approach and plan to still use it for the beginning stage of the languages I have it for, before I get heavy on the grammar and such. And it could just be the way I use Assimil, but I haven't found it very helpful with using the language. Understanding it, yes; using it, no.

Plus, I'm starting to get a little impatient with actually getting somewhere with French. :P

I don't know, I may give French with Ease one last chance. Maybe I can do it a bit differently this time. We'll see. Either way, I was planning on going through FSI (unless I really do get some better results from Assimil, if I do try it again).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-01-07, 16:37

Do you think you might try posting in the French forum here on UniLang? :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-01-07, 17:44

Probably. Though, as per current trends, I'm not sure how much.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-01-10, 15:22

Start thinking in French. Whether you say your internal dialogue out loud or not, do it in French. I found that one way to actively use it. And my passive vocab came in handy because if I was at home, I could pause and remember the word, or look it up. Whereas when talking to someone else the speed of interaction demands that I think of the correct word right away, or switch to English.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-01-12, 2:29

You just want me to stick with Assimil, don't you, dEhiN?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-01-12, 4:04

księżycowy wrote:You just want me to stick with Assimil, don't you, dEhiN?

Not really. I've never tried it before. I do have that one conversation guide book for Tamil, but if you see on my TAC, I haven't started it yet. I was just curious why you said what you said. I've really only heard the opinions of those who love it or found it helpful. So I think it's good to get both sides, especially when I haven't tried it myself.

Yasna

Re: TAC 2016 - księżyc

Postby Yasna » 2016-01-12, 6:07

Here are my suggestions:

księżycowy wrote:Ok, now that my final paper has been handed in, it's time to kick this TAC/blog/whatever-ya-call-it off! :P
よし!今ついに私の論文提出する。TAC/ブログ/何とか時間始まる。

よし!ついに論文を提出したから、そろそろこちらのTACというかブログというかなんていうかを始めるところだな。

Here's my plan through 12/19:
12/19までこれは私の計画だ:

12月19日までの計画は次の通り:
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-01-12, 16:18

dEhiN wrote:Not really. I've never tried it before. I do have that one conversation guide book for Tamil, but if you see on my TAC, I haven't started it yet. I was just curious why you said what you said. I've really only heard the opinions of those who love it or found it helpful. So I think it's good to get both sides, especially when I haven't tried it myself.

I was joking, but yeah, I get what you're saying. Just like a lot of things, what works well for one person doesn't nessicarily for another. So it's a good idea to get both sides. :yep:

I'm certainly glad I gave it Assimil try. (And very well may return too) :wink:

Yasna wrote:Here are my suggestions

ありがとう!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-01-16, 18:23

I've been really lazy about Hebrew for some reason, even though my one course on the psalms is shaping up to be awesomeness. It'll come this week though, I have a feeling. In other news, I've ditched French (and Greek) for now. Japanese was just sitting there, flirting with her eyes. I couldn't ignore her, now could I?! :P
I'm kinda interested in using the MNN series, so I'll give it a whirl.

Week of 1/17 - 1/23:
French
--Under Construction--

Japanese
Started: 1
Completed: 1
Last Goal: N/A
New Goal: --/25

Greek
--Under Construction--

Hebrew
Goal: 5/55
-Extra Reading

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-01-24, 18:01

I'll be damned if I can start Hebrew. :?

I'm also noticing a slower (yet good) rate with Japanese. I've been hacking my way through lesson one, which is easy as pie on the listening and reading side (aside from learning the Kanji, but there's furigana, so I can cheat a bit :lol: ).
This week, I hope to finish lesson 1 for good and finish at least lesson 2, in addition to learning the kanji in both(?) lessons, for Japanese.

I also want to actually start Hebrew this time. Maybe I should shoot for 3 lessons, maybe 5 is too intimidating. :para:

Week of 1/24 - 1/30:
Japanese
Started: 1
New Goal: 3/25

Hebrew
New Goal: 3/55

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-03-04, 15:41

I'm back~! :lol: It certainly has been a little while. At any rate, time for an update; I just wish I had more to show for my time away. :oops: Oh well, that's life.

Things started getting a bit overwhelming there for a bit and I was kinda forced to take a bit of a break from my language studies. I can't say things are any better, but I refuse to give up! So I'm saying the hell with it, and forging ahead regardless. :wink:

So for this week's goals:
- (Priority) I'll need to review lesson 1 of MNN, but that shouldn't take so much. After that it's on to lesson 2 and beyond.
- (Priority) I really need to start back up with the Hebrew
- (Optional) If I am successful doing both Japanese and Hebrew this week, and I have enough time, I'd like to start some Koiné/Classical Greek. Most likely I'll pick up Reading Greek and use that, but nothing in the Greek corner is set in stone yet.

Week of 3/4 - 3/12:
Japanese
New Goal: 3/25

Hebrew
New Goal: 3/55

[Optional]
Classical Greek
Goal: 1.D/19.H
[/Optional]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-03-25, 18:16

Time for an update! I kinda ditched the idea of going through MNN for now. I'll revisit it later, probably over summer. So, instead I'm going to go back to Assimil, which at this point is a ton of review. But review is good. I will add in lessons from MNN as I am able, but I doubt that will happen until summer. (Restarting Assimil kinda makes me want to refresh my French too :P )

I've also decided to restart/continue using Paine's text for Greek. I'll try to stick to one lesson a day for all three as much as possible (5~7 lessons a week). But if I can't handle all three (be it for a day, week, whatever), Greek is dropping out for a bit.

Week of 3/27-4/2:
Japanese
Completed: 3
New Goal: 8/99

Hebrew
New Goal: 5/55

[Optional]
Classical Greek
Goal: 5/78
[/Optional]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-04-18, 16:01

Not so much an update, as a note that I'll be back at my TAC in about week or so. Between work and classes, there was little time for language learning, but my classes are ending very shortly, so I'll be back at it in no time!

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”