2016 blog - księżyc

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: 2016 blog - księżyc

Postby księżycowy » 2016-04-29, 18:50

Ok, I have one more class to attend, and then my semester is over! Woo! :partyhat:

So, what's on the roster for summer you ask? Well, here it is:
Japanese* - Probably either Genki or Minna no Nihongo
Biblical Hebrew - Kittel, et al.
Ancient Greek - Paine
Arabic (MSA)* - ?

French ? - Assimil? FSI?

*I somehow managed to talk my cousin into learning Japanese with me. It came at a cost, however, as he talked me into learning Arabic with him! :lol: I'm not worried about it though, as I've wanted to learn Arabic for a while now anyway. I just wanted to wait a little bit longer, so I could get better at a few of these other languages first. Oh well, I don't think it'll be a major problem.

I'll need to rethink my resources, as he'll be joining in on some of this, but it shouldn't be a problem. In a few weeks I'll kick this thing off officially. In the meantime, I'll figure a few things out and probably start in on some French, Greek and/or Hebrew.

I suppose I should also learn the Arabic alphabet, so I can at least read it. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-05-06, 15:43

Ok, let's kick this off:

Japanese:
After some deliberation, Genki has been chosen as the text we shall use. I'll start working on lesson 1 this week (ending 5/14). I have been listening to a few lessons of Pimsleur as well.While the speed of lessons can get a little annoying, I do find both their careful attention of pronunciation and the spaced repetition helpful. I might keep using it.

Hebrew:
I'm going to begin the first lesson today. Honest! :para:

Greek:
I'll pick up Paine tomorrow.

Arabic:
My cousin has convinced me to use Alif Baa and Al Kitaab. I'm a little sceptical of Al Kitaab, but I'll give it a try. So I bought both and I'm waiting for them to arrive in the mail.

Possible Fifth Language:
I'm concidering between French, German and Polish. All of which would be really useful to me, and I'm interested in all three beyond just their "usefulness." I suppose French would make the most sense, as it's the one I was working on most recently. We'll see. If I do go with it, I'll try out FSI for a change of pace.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-06, 15:50

ceid donn wrote:Will be working on them immediately. Like, as soon as I post this. :whistle:

Honest! :mrgreen:

księżycowy wrote:I'm going to begin the first lesson today. Honest! :para:

Today appears to be TAC "Honest!" Day. :lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-05-06, 16:08

Yeah, I was reading her thread earlier. It must have crept into my brain and stayed there.

Damn you ceid donn! *shakes fist at sky*
Just kidding.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-05-06, 16:21

Having just played the SEA word game, I was reminded that if I have time to fit it in, I would like to learn at least some spoken Burmese this summer. I specify spoken because I don't know if I'd have the time to devote to anything else. Hell, I kinda doubt I'll realistically be able to do even spoken Burmese, but I'll give it a shot.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-05-16, 20:11

Ok, so for the past little bit I've taken a bit of a break from thinking and what not. So sue me. :lol: My classes are over and it's time to partay! :partyhat: :silly:

Anyway, it's time to get back into the swing of things.

So, after talking with my cousin some more, some languages got a bit shuffled and such, as he really is interested in doing Biblical Hebrew with me. He says he still wants to do Japanese with me, but after Hebrew. And as it turns out, I've been wanting to review my Hebrew anyway, so win-win. :P
And as I really want to review my Hebrew before getting into Arabic, I'm dropping Arabic from my TAC. For now.

And as it'll take him a week or two more to be ready to start anything serious with me, I'll poke around some Assimil in the meantime.

So, for this week (5/15-5/21):
Japanese
Assimil Goal - 5/99

Hebrew
Assimil (Modern) Goal - 5/85
Kittel, et al. Goal - 5/55

French
Assimil Goal - 3/113

Ancient Greek
Paine Goal - 4/78 (skipping lesson 1)
Last edited by księżycowy on 2016-05-22, 15:52, edited 2 times in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-17, 1:29

Omg I totally skipped over the fact that you were doing Arabic! :shock: I mean, it makes sense, since you've already been studying Hebrew for quite a while, but still. :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-05-17, 9:21

Well, in all honesty, I haven't been studying Hebrew continuously this whole time. In fact, I've lost a good bit of it to neglect over the past year or two. That's why I want too regain Hebrew to a good level before starting Arabic.

All of this is facilitated by the fact I'm exploring the possibility of specializing in the Hebrew Bible. These last two courses have really opened my eyes, and made me see the HB in ways I never could before.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-17, 14:24

Oh, OK. But still, any level of familiarity with Hebrew of any kind should help at least a little bit for anyone who's interested in learning Arabic. :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-05-17, 14:31

My thoughts exactly.

And vise versa for my cousin. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-05-22, 15:52

Well, since this last week was my "vacation" and all, I'll forgive the late start and all. Moving right along, I have started to work on some Hebrew today, and for now I'll just do Modern Hebrew until my cousin is ready to work on biblical with me (unless he takes too long :P ). I'm also planning on working on some Japanese in a bit. So I'm getting back into it. I'll up date my goals later today or tomorrow, but for now:

Completed:
Hebrew - 3/85

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-05-22, 16:33

And now I've reviewed the first few lessons of Japanese! Woohoo!

So, my plan for this week is to work through about 2-3 lessons from my Assimil books for Japanese and French at a time (as most of it is review right now), but to still take it slowly enough that I'm not rushing through top fast and getting sloppy or anything. I'll move at a slightly slower pace with Hebrew (1-2 lessons at a time), as it's been a bit longer since I've worked with the language. I haven't quite decided how often I'll work on them all. I might try to do them all daily, or alternate one or two of them.

Greek is a wild card.

My over all goals are about the same over all though....

Goals for the Week of 5/22-5/28:

Japanese
Completed: 3/99
Goal: 8/99

Hebrew
Completed: 3/85
Goal: 6/85

French
Completed: N/A
Goal: 5/113

Greek
Goal: 4/78

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-06-19, 17:38

Well, it's time for an update. I wish I had more progress to show, but anything is better than nothing.

Japanese
Completed: 7/99

Hebrew
Completed: 7/85

French
Completed: 2/113

Greek

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-09-29, 23:17

I haven't been on this thread in a while. I think it's in desperate need of an update. :whistle:

I also was just reading ceid donn's WAC thread, and I like her idea of doing a short month-ish intensive study of a language, at least for the few languages I'm trying to revive. So I'll be stealing that idea. :P

So, my current plan/languages:

Hebrew - I'd like to revive my knowledge of Biblical Hebrew, so I'd like to take the next month (until the end of October) to get through as much of Kittel's textbook as possible.

Japanese - This one is not exactly new, but it's not exactly review either, so I don't know what I want to do with it quite yet.

German - After years of avoidance, I'll be reviving my German. I'll probably try for a good month or two after I'm done with Hebrew. That would most likely leave Japanese for after the New Year, but we'll see how it all plays out.

First things first, Hebrew.

So far I've made it through the first four lessons and one review lesson in my textbook. So far, progress has been pretty good. I'm remembering things and finding translation to be relatively easy at this point, minus a tricky sentence or two.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”