Serafín's Summer TAC

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Bubulus
Re: Serafín's Summer TAC (German, Arabic, Chinese)

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-23, 5:30

Log Entry for Day Fourteen (of Sixty-Three)

I... could've done more today. Anyway, I did 200 EXP of Duolingo German, yet some more exercises of unit 17 of the Arabic textbook, and read chapter 1 of Zádrapa's book.

I... can't think of anything particularly interesting I learned this time either. It was all more of the same. Or well, there were just a couple little things:

• There's some controversy surrounding the declension of the name of Muhammad in Arabic. Some say it's a diptote, as it's the case of many male proper names, even though it's clearly a triptote in the shahada...
• One of the German words for "(financial) account", Konto, sounds like the Indonesian word for "dick, cock", kontol. Very mature, I know. At least I'm unlikely to forget it. And it's a borrowing, from Italian conto 'calculation'.
• The adjective erste actually agrees in gender in its predicative function... Er ist erster; sie ist erste. Yay, the complexity of adjectival inflection never ends.

Serafín wrote:
eskandar wrote:Any Arabic grammars you'd recommend in particular? Haywood and Nahmad? There's just so much material out there... I like the textbook I'm currently using since it's written in Arabic, but it's frustratingly light on grammar.

El-Said Badawi et al.'s Modern Written Arabic: A Comprehensive Grammar is really good except when dealing with the participles, on which the authors say surprisingly little. Just don't look too much at the example sentences in Arabic in the Arabic script, since there's sadly a lot of typos; the transliteration at least has almost no typos. I'd say there's about two typos every three pages, though there's this one page where I actually found five typos. And Routledge nonetheless charges USD$75 for new copies of this book!

To understand the participles, I would actually recommend Mark W. Cowell's A Reference Grammar of Syrian Arabic (Georgetown Arabic Series), even if it's actually a grammar for a dialect.

I admit I haven't read Wright's two-volume grammar yet even though I have it, so I can't make any judgement on that one.

Some comments by user YngNghymru:

[11:04:17] <yng> yeah so participles
[11:04:18] <yng> who knows
[11:05:04] <yng> even in colloquial it differs between dialects
[11:07:00] <yng> the syrian book is v good but I feel like when writers use them in any verbal sense
[11:07:05] <yng> it's different
[11:07:20] <yng> depending on their own dialect
[11:07:25] <yng> and when you get into classical it's different again
[11:07:42] <yng> there are examples of the use of the participle in present, past, and future senses in CA, supposedly
[11:08:52] <yng> there are definite examples of it with verbs of motion for example
[11:08:55] <yng> وَقَالَ إِنِّي ذَاهِبٌ إِلَىٰ رَبِّي سَيَهْدِينِ
[11:09:32] <yng> إِنَّا لِلهِ وَإِلَيْهِ رَاجِعُونَ
[11:09:35] <yng> etc
[11:10:32] <yng> but with other verbs it's more difficult

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2015-07-23, 9:57

Serafín wrote:The adjective erste actually agrees in gender in its predicative function... Er ist erster; sie ist erste. Yay, the complexity of adjectival inflection never ends.

This isn't an adjective. It's an ordinal number used as a noun, and therefore it should be capitalised, too: Er ist Erster.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-23, 14:22

Wiktionary doesn't capitalize it in its entry for the word. It's clearly wrong, then. :D

It's nonetheless a thing to think about though :| , since the word does have an adjectival use too. Er ist der erste Mann.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-24, 0:39

This post contains my answers to the exercises of lesson seventeen.

-----

Disclaimer: these are my answers for a certain unit, or certain units, of Thackston's An Introduction to Koranic and Classical Arabic. I promise no guarantee they're 100% correct. Go to the first post of this thread to see all links to the answers of the rest of the chapters.

Lesson Seventeen

Exercises

(a)
1. qaala llaahu laa yasa3u-nii samaa2-ii wa-laa 2arD-ii wa-wasi3a-nii qalbu 3abd-ii l-mu2mini
'God said, "My sky does not hold me nor does my earth, but the heart of my pious servant does".'
2. sa-yaraa llaahu 3amala-kum wa-rasuulu-hu wa-yaraa lladhiina Zalamuu, 2idh yaruuna l-3adhaaba, 2anna l-quwwata li-llaahi
'And God will see your works and so will his messenger, and those who wronged, when they see the torment, will see power belongs to God.'
3. wadda kathiirun min 2ahli l-kitaabi law yarudduuna-kum min ba3di 2iimaani-kum kuffaaran
'Many of the people of the Book wished to take you all back from your religion to being unbelievers.'
4. 2innaa na7nu narithu l-2arDa wa-man 3alay-haa wa-qaala llaahu 2inna l-2arDa yarithu-haa 3ibaad-ii S-Saali7uuna
'Verily we have inherited the earth and whoever is on it, and God said, "Verily my pious servants will inherit the earth".'
5. 2a-ra2aytum shurakaa2a-kum-u lladhiina tad3uuna min duuni llaahi? maadhaa xalaquu min-a l-2arDi? am la-hum shirkun fii s-samaawaati? 2am 2ataa-hum kitaabun...? bal 2in ya3idu Z-Zaalimuuna ba3Du-hum ba3Dan 2illaa ghuruuran
'Have you seen your partners, who you called without god? What have they created from the earth? Or do they have a partner in the heavens? Or has a book come to them? Or rather, the wrongdoers promise each other nothing but deceit.' (This is an adaptation of Qur'an 35: 40. The book does say "2ataa-hum kitaabun" rather than the Quranic "2ataynaa-hum kitaaban".
6. wa-yabsuTuuna 2ilay-kum 2aydiya-hum wa-yawudduuna law takfuruuna
'And they will spread their hands on you, wishing you didn't believe.' (This is an adaptation of Qur'an 5: 11.)
7. fa-li-n-nabiiyi qaala lladhiina kafaruu min qawmi-naa maa naraa-ka 2illaa basharan mithla-naa
'And so those who disbelieved from among our people said to the prophet, "We do not see you but as a person just like us".'
8. qaala sa-tajudu-nii 2in shaa2a llaahu Saabiran wa-laa 2a3Saa la-ka 2amran
'He said, "You will find me, God willing, being patient, not disobeying your order".'
9. ja3ala nuu7un fii fulki-hi min kulli zawjayni thnayni
'Noah put in his ark every couple.'
10. wa-2idhaa sa2aluu-hu 3an-i r-ruu7i qaala 2inna r-ruu7a min 2amri rabb-ii
'And when they asked him about the soul, he said, "the soul is [created] from my Lord's order.'
11. 2a-ta2muruuna n-naasa bi-l-xayri wa-tansawna 2anfusa-kum
'Do you order the people to do good while forgetting about yourselves?'

(b)
1. Witnesses will testify against you, and hell will consume you all.
sawfa yashhudu shaahiduuna 3alay-kum, wa-2inna n-naara sa-ta2kulu-kum
2. When you disobeyed his orders, he was not pleased with you.
2idh 3aSayta 2awaamira-hu maa raDiya 3an-ka
3. I do not know which fruit is best for eating.
laa 2a3lamu 2ayyatu faakihatin xayrun li-l-2akli (NB: This answer is taken off the Key to Exercises. I had originally written 2ayyatan faakihatan, not knowing how to render this.)
4. The alms they brought were more than the alms prescribed for them.
2inna z-zakaata llatii jaa2uu bi-haa kaanat 2aktharu min-a z-zakaati ma2muurati la-hum
5. She looked and saw that he had told the truth.
naZarat wa-ra2at 2anna-hu Sadaqa
6. They lied to each other when they said they would be their fathers' heirs.
kadhabaa ba3Du-humaa 3alaa ba3Din lammaa qaalaa 2inna-humaa yarithaani 2aabaa2a-humaa
7. Have you forgotten that the light of faith is from the heart?
2a-nasiitum 2anna nuura l-2iimaani min-a l-qalbi
8. I am not aware of anyone more truthful than him.
laa 2adrii bi-2insaanin 2aSdaqu min-hu
9. They are deluded in that which they say, and we see them lying.
2inna-hum maghruuruuna bi-maa qaaluu wa-ra2aynaa 2anna-hum yakdhibuuna
10. I wish we were mightier than our enemy.
2awaddu law na7nu 2aqwaa min 3aduuwi-naa
Last edited by Bubulus on 2015-08-14, 17:03, edited 4 times in total.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-24, 1:55

This post contains a summary of a chapter of Lukáš Zádrapa's Word-Class Flexibility in Classical Chinese: Verbal and Adverbial Uses of Nouns (2011). It's not intended to be a professional summary if such a thing can be; it's just my personal notes as I read.

-------

Chapter One, "Introduction", is the author's introduction to his work. Here he broadly delineates the approach he will use in the book, how he came about to that approach, and the existing literature on noun-to-verb and noun-to-adverb use (hence referred-to as "HY", a borrowing from Chinese huóyòng) that the book emerges from. The corpus of texts studied is also described.

The original idea was to apply the analysis found in Tamara N. Nikitina's 1985 dissertation on the syntax of Classical Chinese, but upon further reading the author deviated from it significantly, coming to rather favour the sort of analysis of Langacker's cognitive grammar (1987, 1991), and William Croft's 2001 "radical construction grammar", taking advantage of the research done on noun-as-verb use in English. Some of the literature the author engages with is von Gabelenz's 19th century grammar, Clark & Clark's 1979 paper "When Nouns Surface as Verbs", some of P. Štekauer's works (including the Handbook of Word Formation co-edited by R. Lieber), and, although polemically, Zhāng Wénguó's 2005 monograph on HY itself. The author, then, is to combine research from general linguistics, particularly from a cognitive approach, while incorporating already existing Sinological philology research. The author in his analysis takes his reservations with regard to the morphological bits reconstructed for Old Chinese, resigning from including them much. The ultimate aim of the book is to offer explanations of HY occurrences "however unformalized they may be", thereby also reorientating the discourse among scholars of Classical Chinese. There are two negative factors in studying HY that should be noted, however: 1.) Classical Chinese is a dead language and on top of that HY is not voluminously attested, and 2.) we do not have access to the psycholinguistic reality of Classical Chinese native speakers which is essential for an analysis based on cognitive linguistics; in particular cases there will be inevitably no good explanation.

The corpus consists of basically all the major texts written in the Warring States period from the 5th c. to the 3rd c. BC. The Book of Songs or Shījī is therefore not included, as it is Preclassical. On the other hand, Sīmǎ Qiān's history written during the Hàn dinasty is included, but is contrasted with Classical Chinese proper. The texts were taken from many sources, but in particular, the Thesaurus Linguae Sericae edited by Christoph Harbsmeier, an encyclopedia of conceptual schemes in primarily ancient and medieval China, proved essential to the research undertaken.
Last edited by Bubulus on 2015-07-24, 14:46, edited 5 times in total.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-24, 5:50

Log Entry for Day Fifteen (of Sixty-Three)

I did 200 EXP on Duolingo's German course, and did some of the exercises of unit 18 of the Arabic textbook. I'm getting really close to finishing the Duolingo thing; I'll actually be done on Saturday. I also read chapter two of Zápraka's book; summary is pending.

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2015-07-24, 11:25

Serafín wrote:Wiktionary doesn't capitalize it in its entry for the word. It's clearly wrong, then. :D

Looks like it. My source are the official spelling rules of 2006, §57 ("Wörter anderer Wortarten schreibt man groß, wenn sie als Substantive gebraucht werden (= Substantivierungen)"). The section with examples for this rule explicitly contains "Ordnungszahladjektive sowie sinnverwandte Adjektive, zum Beispiel: [...] Er kam als Dritter an die Reihe. [...] Trotz ihrer Verletzung wurde sie noch Viertletzte."

Duden has a different set of examples, some which are even closer to your senctence ("Sie wurde Dritte im Weitsprung."), but it says essentially the same (Regel 80 there).

It's nonetheless a thing to think about though :| , since the word does have an adjectival use too. Er ist der erste Mann.

Yes, attributive use is something different, you don't nominalise it then.

Come to think about it, the mechanism seems to be something that works with some more nominalised adjectives: Er ist Deutscher (even though you could also use "deutsch" as a predicative adjective, which doesn't work with ordinal numbers: Er ist deutsch - though this might be understood as "he is like a stereotypical German" rather than referring to his actual nationality)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2015-07-24, 20:23

kevin wrote:Come to think about it, the mechanism seems to be something that works with some more nominalised adjectives: Er ist Deutscher (even though you could also use "deutsch" as a predicative adjective, which doesn't work with ordinal numbers: Er ist deutsch - though this might be understood as "he is like a stereotypical German" rather than referring to his actual nationality)

Honestly, if a non-native used that, I'd rather view it as a mistake influenced by his native language. It sounded bad enough the few times I've heard stuff like "Er ist deutsch" from native speakers.
Please correct my mistakes!

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-25, 5:33

Log Entry for Day Sixteen (of Sixty-Three)

I did 200 EXP on Duolingo's German course, and... did little else.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-26, 0:22

This post contains my answers to the exercises of lesson eighteen.

-----

Disclaimer: these are my answers for a certain unit, or certain units, of Thackston's An Introduction to Koranic and Classical Arabic. I promise no guarantee they're 100% correct. Go to the first post of this thread to see all links to the answers of the rest of the chapters.

Lesson Eighteen

Exercises

(a) Give the subjunctive.
1. ya2tii, ya2tiya
2. yaxluqna, yaxluqna
3. tasiiru, tasiira
4. 2aaxadhu, 2aaxadha
5. tadxulna, tadxulna
6. tab3athiina, tab3athii
7. tadhkuruuna, tadhkuruu
8. takuuniina, takuunii
9. taj3aluuna, taj3aluu
10. tadhhabaani, tadhhabaa
11. yajiduuna, yajiduu
12. yaxaafaani, yaxaafaa
13. yaDillu, yaDilla
14. ya2muruuna, ya2muruu
15. yarDaa, yarDaa
16. yanhaa, yanhaa
17. nadrii, nadriya
18. 2amuutu, 2amuuta
19. taxruju, taxruja
20. ta3Sii, ta3Siya
21. na2ukulu, na2kula
22. 2araa, 2araa
23. tahdii, tahdiya
24. yad3uu, yad3uwa
25. yansawna, yansaw

(b)
1. qaala la-hu 2inn-ii 2aatii-ka bi-maa 2amarat-nii bi-hi qabla 2an taquuma min maqaami-ka
'He said, "Verily I am bringing you what she ordered me before leaving your place".'
2. maa kaana li-nafsin 2an tamuuta 2illaa bi-2idhni llaahi
'No soul can die without God's permission.'
3. fa-qaala l-malaku li-maryama 2anaa rasuulu rabbi-ki li-2ahaba la-ka waladan
'And the angel said to Mary, "I am a messenger of your Lord, [and I've come] to bestow you a child".'
4. 2a-yawaddu 2a7adu-kum 2an takuuna la-hu jannatun min naxiilin wa-2a3naabin
'Does any of you wish you had a garden of dates and grapes?'
5. 2a3budu rabb-ii 7attaa ya2tiya-nii l-yaqiinu
'I worship my Lord until certainty comes to me.' (NB: The Key to Exercises confirms this translation, which I was unsure of since the book doesn't teach yaqiinun can be a noun meaning 'certainty'.)
6. yaa rabba-naa wasi3ta kulla shay2in ra7matan wa-3ilman
'O our Lord, you have held everything merciful, everything knowable.'
7. maa yakuunu la-naa 2an na3ida-kum bi-dhaalika
'It is not possible for us to promise you that.'
8. fa-2inna al-2axawayni jaa2aa li-yarithaa 2abaa-humaa
'And so verily the two brothers came to inherit from their father.'
9. 2amara-nii sh-shayTaanu 2an 2aqraba l-kuffaara
'The Devil ordered me to approach the infidels.'
10. qaalat banuu 2israa2iila yaa muusaa lan naSbira 3alaa Ta3aamin waa7idin
'And the tribe of Israel said, "O Moses, we shall not be patient regarding food".'
11. 2amara-nii 2an 2akuuna min-a l-mu2miniina
'He ordered me to be one of the believers.'
12. 2a-tanhaa-naa 2an na3buda maa ya3budu 2aabaa2u-naa
'Do you forbid us from worshipping what our fathers worship?'
13. qaala llaahu li-2ibliisa maa mana3a-ka 2allaa tasjuda li-maa xalaqtu bi-yaday-ya
'God said to the Devil, "what prevented you from not prostrating to what I made with my hands?' (This is an adaptation of Qur'an 38:75. I have no idea why Thackston changed the original mana3a 2an tasjuda to mana3a 2allaa tasjuda, thereby saying the opposite of the original. I translated the modification.)
14. nahaw-naa 2an na2kula min fawaakihi 2ashjaari 7adaa2iqi-him fa-nakuuna min-a Z-Zaalimiina
'They forbade us from eating from the fruit of their garden's trees, and so we are wrongdoers.'

(c)
1. I have brought proof (of the fact) that I am my father's son in order that I may be his heir.
ji2tu bi-bayyinati 2ann-ii bnu 2axii-ya li-2aritha-hu
2. The people of this city will never know why the demons did not approach them.
2inna naasa haadhihi l-madiinati lan ya3lamuuna li-ma maa qariba-hum-u sh-shayaaTiinu
3. It was possible for you (f s) to summon your brother.
kaana la-ki 2an tad3uwa 2axaa-ki
4. We approached the man in order to hear his words.
qaribnaa r-rajula li-kay nasma3a qawla-hu
5. I wish they were here to guide us, for we are lost.
2awaddu law yakuunuuna hunaa li-yahduu-naa wa-na7nu Dalulnaa
6. He forbids you to enter his house
yamna3u 2an tadxula bayta-hu
7. Will you eat something before you leave?
2a-sa-ta2kulu shay2an qabla 2an taxruja
Last edited by Bubulus on 2015-08-14, 17:09, edited 3 times in total.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-26, 5:42

Log Entry for Day Seventeen (of Sixty-Three)

I did 140 EXP on Duolingo to finish (or "conquer" as they say) its German course. This little guy appears when you conquer German, by the way:

Anyway, course finished, so now I'm gonna be working on Wilson's German Quickly again. I also finished unit 18 of the Arabic textbook, and did some work on unit 19.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-07-26, 12:24

Congrats on finishing the Duo course! / Enhorabuena para terminar el curso del Duolingo. (Disculpame si mi elección de palabras es no correcta. Yo no practicaba español en alguno tiempo.)
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-07-26, 12:29

Serafín wrote:I did 140 EXP on Duolingo to finish (or "conquer" as they say) its German course.

How much did it take?

And what does this mean, where is your current level?

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-26, 14:24

Levike wrote:
Serafín wrote:I did 140 EXP on Duolingo to finish (or "conquer" as they say) its German course.

How much did it take?

About two to two hours every day for 18 consecutive days. The course is really short.

And what does this mean, where is your current level?

I'm nonetheless a beginner by all means, of course. I'm level 11 in German on Duolingo, with ~3500 EXP points in the language, if that's what you were asking for.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-07-26, 14:37

Serafín wrote:I'm nonetheless a beginner by all means, of course. I'm level 11 in German on Duolingo, with ~3500 EXP points in the language, if that's what you were asking for.

Does that mean a A1 or A2?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-07-26, 15:00

Levike wrote:
Serafín wrote:I'm nonetheless a beginner by all means, of course. I'm level 11 in German on Duolingo, with ~3500 EXP points in the language, if that's what you were asking for.

Does that mean a A1 or A2?

I'm not sure, but it's interesting because Duolingo posits their courses as if at the end of the course you will be at a high level. They even offer a certificate you can get them to send to you after finishing a course. And the units toward the end deal with advanced vocabulary such as religion, etc. But in reality you still end up being at a beginner level. I would venture a guess as A2 by the end of the course.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-26, 16:55

Uh, some sort of A2 I guess. Not even a high A2 at that.

The idea of Duolingo is nice and the interface is cute (even if buggy in my case, as sometimes the audio of either the voice synthesis or the effect sounds did not work), but it'd need to be much longer than that to get somewhere.
dEhiN wrote:And the units toward the end deal with advanced vocabulary such as religion, etc.

I think it's really funny you say that ("advanced vocabulary such as"), because that unit, the one on religion (called "Spiritual"), was only two exercises long, and the vocab list for it was just:

Kirche - church
Leben - life
Religion - religion
Gefühl - feeling
Sinn - sense (as in a word's sense/meaning: the word means "sense" in other senses too, but this was taught only in its "sense/meaning" meaning)
Seele - soul
Hoffnung - hope
Glaube - belief
Tod - death
geist - ghost

I wouldn't call it advanced vocabulary by any means.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-26, 17:02

This post contains my answers to the exercises of lesson nineteen.

-----

Lesson Nineteen

Exercises

(a) Give the jussive
1. ya2xudhu, ya2xudh
2. ta3buduuna, ta3buduu
3. yaSduqaani, yaSduqaa
4. taskunu, taskun
5. nar7amu, nar7am
6. 2aj3alu, 2aj3al
7. ta2kulu, ta2kul
8. ta3lamna, ta3lamna
9. yaDilluuna, yaDilluu
10. tasma3iina, tasma3ii
11. yadlulna, yadlulna
12. yaxrujaani, yaxrujaa
13. ta2muru, ta2mur
14. na3malu, na3mal
15. yaZlimna, yaZlimna
16. yas2alu, yas2al
17. tadhkuruuna, tadhkuruu
18. taxluqaani, taxluqaa
19. tab3athiina, tab3athii
20. yaghurru, yaghrur or yaghurra or yaghurri
21. 2ashhadu, 2ashhad
22. tafirru, tafrir or tafirra or tafirri
23. tajidna, tajidna
24. yadxuluuna, yadxuluu
25. tanZuru, tanZur

(b)Give the imperative
1. 2axadha, xudh
2. farra, firra or firri
3. 3abada, 2u3bud
4. sami3a, 2isma3
5. ra7ima, 2ir7am
6. naZara, 2unZur
7. 2akala, kul
8. ba3itha, 2ib3ath
9. sa2ala, 2us2ul
10. dalla, dulla or dulli

(c)
1. wa-qulnaa la-hum-u skunuu haadhihi l-quryata wa-kuluuu min-haa 7aythu shi2tum
'And we said to them, "Live in this village and eat from it wherever you want".'
2. fa-firruu 2ilaa llaahi! 2inn-ii la-kum min-hu nadhiirun mubiinun
'And so flee to God! And indeed I am his clear warner.'
3. maa tasquTu min waraqin 2illaa ya3lamu-haa
'No piece of paper falls unless he knows.' (This is an adaptation of Qur'an 6:59.)
4. laa tab3ath maala-ka 2ilay-him 7attaa ta3lama 2a-hum 2atqiyaa2u 2am laa
'Don't send forth your wealth to them until you know whether they are God-fearing or not.'
5. fa-qaalat nisaa2u miSra 2innaa la-naraa zulayxaa fii Dalaalin mubiinin fa-lammaa sami3at bi-qawli-hinna da3at-hunna wa-qaalat li-yuusufa xruj 3alay-hinna fa-lammaa ra2ayna-hu qulna laysa haadhaa basharan 2in haadhaa 2illaa malakun kariimun
'And so the women of Egypt spoke, "Indeed we see Zuleikha has in clear error". And so when she heard what they were saying, she called them, and said to Joseph, "Go out in front of them". And so when they saw him, they said, "This is not a man, he is not but a noble angel".' (This is an adaptation of Qur'an 12:30-31.)
6. sawfa ya3lamuuna, 7iina yarawna l-3adhaaba, man 2aDallu
'They will know, at the time when they see the punishment, who is gone astray the most.'
7. yaa rabba-naa ghfir la-naa wa-r7am-naa wa-2anta 2ar7amu r-raa7imiina
'O our Lord, forgive us and be merciful to use, as you are the most merciful of those who are merciful.'
8. yaa 2ayyu-haa n-naasu dhkuruu llaaha dhikran kathiiran
'O the people, do mention God often.'
9. huwa llaahu 2a7adun lam yalidu
'He is God, the one who didn't beget.'
10. fa-3alam-naa min-hu maa lam na3lam
'And so [now] we know what we didn't know about it.'
11. fa-xudh-haa bi-l-quwwati wa-2mur qawma-ka 2an ya2xudhuu 2amwaala n-naasi
'And take it by force, and tell your people to take the people's properties.'
12. اولم تنصحنا الا الذين هم اشد منا وهم مارّون على مدينتنا
2a-wa-lam tanSa7-naa 2illaa lladhiina hum 2ashaddu min-naa wa-hum maarruuna 3alaa madiinati-naa
'And didn't she advise any of us except those who were the worst among us and who had passed by our city?' (NB: Questionable.)

(d)
1. The enemy has drawn near, so let us flee.
qariba-naa l-3aduuwu fa-l-nafirri
2. They forbade me to guide you to the garden in which they are.
nahaw-nii 2an 2adulla 2ilaa l-7adiiqati llatii hum fii-haa
3. I have no strength to lead you (m pl) aright when you are lost.
laysa liya quwwatun li-2ahdiya-ka bi-haa lammaa taDillu
4. He will advise her to invite ("that she invite") all those who inhabit the city, and their number is great.
sa-yanSa7u-haa 2an tad3uwa 2ulaa2ika lladhiina yaskunuuna l-madiinata wa-3adadu-hum kabiirun
5. It was not possible for me to forgive them, so I had no mercy (past definite) on them.
maa kaana l-ii 2an 2aghfira-hum, fa-lam 2ar7am-hum
6. Dwell (m s) here and eat of the fruits of these trees, but (wa-) do not approach that nation lest hell-fire consume you.
2uskun hunaa wa-kul fawaakiha haadha sh-shajari, wa-laa qrabuu tilka l-2arDa 2allaa ta2kula-ka n-naaru
7. O my son, take this property of mine and be merciful toward those who have less wealth than you.
yaa bn-ii, xudh maal-ii haadhaa wa-r7am lladhiina la-hum 2aqallu min-a l-maali
Last edited by Bubulus on 2015-07-27, 17:28, edited 3 times in total.

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2015-07-26, 17:31

dEhiN wrote:I'm not sure, but it's interesting because Duolingo posits their courses as if at the end of the course you will be at a high level.

If you only rush through the course without using the "strengthen skills" function, I think it's quite possible that you don't even see all of the sentences (and in conclusion all the words) that exist in the course. Not to mention, of course, that for the words to stick, just doing their lesson once wouldn't be enough for me.

But in reality you still end up being at a beginner level. I would venture a guess as A2 by the end of the course.

I haven't done the German course, obviously, but yes, that's about where the Irish course gets you. (I started several of the other courses, but didn't complete any other.)

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2015-07-26, 17:34

Serafín wrote:Lesson Seventeen
(b)
8. I am not aware of anyone more truthful than him.
laa 2a3lamu 2insaanan 2aktharu Sidqan min-hu (NB: Questionable.)

I think it would be preferable to use the comparative here, ie. laa 2a3lamu 2insaanan aSdaq min-hu. I don't think 3alima is the best verb to use for "to be aware of" (perhaps that's what your doubt was about) but I'm not sure what would be better. In colloquial I think I'd say مش عارف احد اصدق منو but that doesn't necessarily help us here.

Lesson Eighteen
(b)
8. fa-2inna al-اخوين jaa2aa li-yarithaa 2abaa-humaa (NB: I don't know how to vocalize that word. The book hasn't taught that form of the word.)

اخوين is akhawayn, so fa-2inna l-akhawayna ...

(c)
2. The people of this city will never know why the demons did not approach them.
2inna naasa haadhihi l-madiinati lan ya3lama li-ma maa qariba-hum sh-shayaaTinu (NB: I don't know if naasun takes plural agreement...)

It does take plural agreement, so I think it would need to be 2inna naasa haadhihi l-madiinati lan ya3lamuu li-ma maa qariba-humu sh-shayaaTiinu
Unless of course you remove 2inna and rearrange the sentence to avoid the plural.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”