Serafín's Summer TAC

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Bubulus
Serafín's Summer TAC

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-10, 3:34

I'm re-entering full-time studies on September 8th, so I figured I could do one final sprint with some of my languages. Thus I'm gonna spend this summer, from July 9th to September 8th, studying three of my languages intensively in a Total Annihilation Challenge: (Standard) German, (fuS7aa) Arabic, and (Standard) Chinese (the last one perhaps with a dash of Classical Chinese). I have no idea if I'll be actually able to achieve all the goals I propose to myself here, but I'm gonna try...

[flag=]de[/flag] German
Current knowledge: Nothing, Zilch, nada, Nichts. I'm starting from scratch.
TAC Goals: Finish April Wilson's German Quickly, followed by Hermann's Reading German History: A German Reading Course for Beginners, as well as the entire German course on Duolingo. If I actually manage to complete all three courses, I'll declare victory and follow up translating paragraphs from German Wikipedia into English in this thread, mostly articles on history and linguistics. This is unlikely to happen.
Long-term goals: I would like to read linguistics research in German fluently. There is a lot of good research published in German, much of it untranslated, notably Gabelentz's Chinesische Grammatik (a 19th century reference grammar of Classical Chinese that I hope I will translate into English one day).

[flag=]ar[/flag] Arabic
Current knowledge: Solid understanding of its grammar and function words, disastrous vocabulary.
TAC Goals: Finish Wheeler M. Thackston's An Introduction to Koranic and Classical Arabic, as well as half of J. A. Haywood & H. M. Nahmad's A New Arabic Grammar of the Written Language (which is a textbook even if the title doesn't make it sound like it). If I achieve these goals, I'll go on completing as much of Haywood and Nahmad's book as I can.
Long-term goals: I would like to be able to read the Qur'an, the hadith, and much of the Arabic medieval literature in the original language.

[flag=]zh[/flag] [flag=]zhc[/flag] Chinese
Current knowledge: Fuzzy, but basically an advanced beginner in Mandarin. Very little Classical Chinese.
TAC Goals: Open-ended, just work on it as much as I can. Concretely speaking I'll be reading example sentences on the Line Dictionary, reading random entries in the Oxford Beginner's Chinese Dictionary, eavesdropping on the two QQ channels I'm in (one aimed at people studying Spanish, although they speak in Chinese 90% of the time; the other aimed at foreigners learning Chinese, but it's mostly just the native speakers who talk to each other), working on Colloquial Chinese 2: The Next Step in Language Learning... And as for Classical/Literary Chinese, occasionally working on Rouzer's or Fuller's textbooks, while reading Pulleyblank's Outline of Classical Chinese Grammar, Du's Handbook of Classical Chinese Grammar and random entries of Kroll's A Student's Dictionary of Classical and Medieval Chinese. Basically, I'll be doing the things I'm already doing, but somewhat more intensely. The emphasis is on learning more German and Arabic.
Long-term goals: I would like to have a deep understanding and outstanding fluency in Mandarin. Basically, make it the third language I'm really fluent in, besides English and Spanish. I would like to achieve a decent reading fluency in Classical/Literary Chinese.

-----------

The following is an index to access my answers to the exercises of Thackston's An Introduction to Koranic and Classical Arabic. I will add the links to my answers as they get posted. A disclaimer: I'm not saying my answers are 100% correct though!

Last edited by Bubulus on 2015-12-08, 19:27, edited 33 times in total.

Bubulus

Re: Serafín's Summer TAC (German, Arabic, Chinese)

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-10, 3:37

Log Entry for Day One (of Sixty-Three)

I actually started learning German yesterday, and continued on studying today. At the time I'm writing this I'm just beginning the 5th unit of April Wilson's German Quickly, and similarly I've gotten to level 5 on Duolingo. Here is a link to my Duolingo account, if anybody wants to follow me.

I haven't done anything with Arabic and Chinese yet, but I'm gonna study Arabic for the rest of the night. Just as Eskandar was doing in his thread in the Arabic forum, I'll be posting my answers to Thackston's exercises (and later on, my answers to Haywood and Nahmad's exercises as well). There's no guarantee my answers will be 100% correct though!
Last edited by Bubulus on 2015-07-16, 4:53, edited 7 times in total.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-10, 4:37

These are my answers for a certain unit, or certain units, of Thackston's An Introduction to Koranic and Classical Arabic. As usual, I promise no guarantee they're 100% correct. Go to the first post of this thread to see all links to the answers of the rest of the chapters.

Lesson One

Exercises
(a)
1. daxala r-rajulu l-madiinati. 'The man entered the city.'
2. xaraja n-nabiiyu min-a l-madiinati. 'The prophet left the city.'
3. ar-rajulu nabiiyun. 'The man is a prophet.'
4. kaana r-rajulu nabiiyan. 'The man was a prophet.'
5. 2ayna mu7ammadun wa-muusaa. 'Where are Muhammad and Moses?'
6. 2inna r-rajula fii l-madiinati. 'Indeed the man is in the city.'
7. 2ayna kaana 2a7madu. 'Where was Ahmed?'
8. ar-rasuulu fii l-jannati. 'The messenger is in the garden.' (or 'The apostle is in Paradise.')
9. 2inna mu7ammadan fii l-madiinati. 'Indeed Muhammad is in the city.'

(b)
1. madiinatun, al-madiinatu, fii l-madiinati, min-a l-madiinati
2. rajuulun, ar-rajulu, min rajulin, min-a r-rajuli
3. jannatun, al-jannatu, fii l-jannati, daxala l-mu2minu
5. xaraja rasuulun, xaraja r-rasuulu, xaraja 2a7madu, xaraja muusaa

(c)
1. xalaqa l-laahu l-2arDa.
2. daxala n-nabiiyu l-madiinata.
3. 2ayna r-rasuulu wa-n-nabiiyu.
4. kaana 2a7madu fii l-madiinati.
5. xaraja l-mu2minu min-a l-madiinati.
6. mu7ammadun fii l-madiinati.

Lesson Two

Exercises
(a)
1. waladun Saghiirun, al-waladu S-Saghiiru, min-a l-waladi S-Saghiiri, li-waladin Saghiirin
2. imra2atun kabiiratun, al-mar2atu l-kabiiratu, min-a l-mar2ati l-kabiirati, li-l-mar2ati l-kabiirati
3. yadun Saghiiratun, al-yadu S-Saghiiratu, fii l-yadi S-Saghiirati
4. 7adiiqatun kabiiratun, al-7adiiqatu l-kabiiratu, fii l-7adiiqati l-kabiirati, fii 7adiiqatin kabiiratin
5. nabiiyun kabiiratun, al-nabiiyu l-kabiiratu, li-nabiiyin kabiiratin, li-l-nabiiyi kabiirati
6. madiinatun qariibatun, al-madiinatu l-kabiiratu, min-a l-madiinati l-qariibati, li-l-madiinati l-qariibati

(b)
1. al-3aynu l-kabiiratu qariibatun min-a l-madiinati. 'The spring is close to the city.'
2. al-bintu S-Saghiiratu qariibatun min-a l-mar2ati. 'The little girl is close to the woman.'
3. xaraja l-waladu S-Saghiiru min-a l-madiinati l-yawma. 'The little boy went out of the city today.'
4. 2inna l-7adiiqata S-Saghiirata qariibatun min hunaa. 'Indeed the small garden is near here.'
5. 2inna fii l-7adiiqati l-kabiirati 3aynan Saghiiran. 'Indeed there is a small spring in the big garden.'
6. al-bintu l-kabiiratu fii l-madiinati. 'The old daughter is in the city.' (or 'The big girl is in the city.')
7. 2inna l-2arDa kabiiratun. 'Indeed the Earth is big.'
8. al-mar2atu fii l-madiinati l-laylata. 'Indeed the woman is in the city tonight.'
9. al-jannatu li-l-mu2mini. 'Paradise is for the believer.'
10. li-r-rajuli l-kabiiri bintun Saghiiratun. 'The old man has a small daughter.'

(c)
1. kaana l-waladu S-Saghiiru hunaa.
2. al-madiinatu l-kabiiratu qariibatun min-a l-3ayni.
3. kaana r-rajulu l-kabiiru mu2minan.
4. xaraja 2a7madu min-a l-7adiiqati l-qariibati min-a l-madiinati.
5. li-l-madiinati nabiiyun kabiirun.
6. al-bintu S-Saghiiratu mu2minatun.
7. fii l-madiinati 3aynun.
8. li-l-mar2ati 7adiiqatun Saghiiratun.
Last edited by Bubulus on 2015-07-22, 17:04, edited 7 times in total.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2015-07-10, 11:20

Good to see you around here again, and especially with this set of languages! I'm studying fuS7a intensively right now and want to resume my aborted German studies at some point in the future. It's too bad we can't just combine our brains for Arabic, as I have the reverse of your problem: fairly deep vocabulary but relatively weak grammar. I'm using different materials now but maybe I'll pick up Thackston's book again if I can find the time in addition to everything else.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-07-10, 15:39

eskandar wrote:Good to see you around here again, and especially with this set of languages! I'm studying fuS7a intensively right now and want to resume my aborted German studies at some point in the future.

I didn't know you ever studied German. :shock:

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2015-07-10, 16:24

I took a 'German for reading' course in grad school about a year and a half ago, and played with German on Duolingo at the time. That basically comprises the total sum of my German studies. :lol: By the end of the course I passed a translation exam (wherein I had an hour to translate a couple pages of academic German, with a dictionary) and then promptly forgot everything I had learned after the course was over. I was briefly in Vienna last month and it made me wish I had kept up with German (as some of the little I'd learned was coming back). There's a ton of stuff in German I'd really like to be able to read for my research, so I do intend to pick it up again at some point. Anyway, there are probably at least 5-10 languages other I've studied that I don't include on my profile and/or have probably never mentioned on Unilang.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-10, 16:28

eskandar wrote:It's too bad we can't just combine our brains for Arabic, as I have the reverse of your problem: fairly deep vocabulary but relatively weak grammar.
:lol: Oh yeah, that'd be great!

You can imagine my frustration when, say, I go to the Arabic-language BBC website and look at the text of some news articles... I can tell you the word class of each word (whether they're nouns or adjectives or what), I can explain you the syntax and information structure of the sentences, I can even vocalize the text with a great deal of confidence, but I have NO idea what the text actually says. :lol: :lol:

But I guess this is pretty much what happens when you mostly read nothing but monographs and journal articles on the grammar of a language, instead of grabbing a good set of textbooks of said language and so build up your vocabulary...

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2015-07-10, 17:00

Man, that really is the exact opposite of my experience. I often read news articles out loud with my tutor and I usually understand a great deal (though not everything, of course), but my vocalization is pretty bad - especially of verbs, as I haven't internalized all the verb patterns yet. (Nouns and adjectives are easier to guess, but this might also be because other languages I know or have studied, like Persian, Urdu, and Turkish, have borrowed massive amounts of Arabic vocabulary in the form of nouns and adjectives).

Any Arabic grammars you'd recommend in particular? Haywood and Nahmad? There's just so much material out there... I like the textbook I'm currently using since it's written in Arabic, but it's frustratingly light on grammar.

As for building vocabulary, I don't think textbooks are the only way to go (though they're helpful, of course). My preferred method is reading with a dictionary and meticulously making flashcards for every new word. (And since I use Hans Wehr I inevitably end up learning other words from the same root whenever I look something up). As you have such a strong foundation in the grammar and just lack the vocabulary, that would probably work well for you. There are also plenty of printed readers as well as websites that give texts along with relevant vocabulary lists. Luckily you're interested in the Qur'an and hadith literature, as there's far more material for those than anything else. Memorizing something like this Qur'an Arabic wordlist [PDF] - or Google "80% of Qur'anic words" for other presentations of the same wordlist - would surely go a long way for you.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-10, 17:59

eskandar wrote:Any Arabic grammars you'd recommend in particular? Haywood and Nahmad? There's just so much material out there... I like the textbook I'm currently using since it's written in Arabic, but it's frustratingly light on grammar.

El-Said Badawi et al.'s Modern Written Arabic: A Comprehensive Grammar is really good except when dealing with the participles, on which the authors say surprisingly little. Just don't look too much at the example sentences in Arabic in the Arabic script, since there's sadly a lot of typos; the transliteration at least has almost no typos. I'd say there's about two typos every three pages, though there's this one page where I actually found five typos. And Routledge nonetheless charges USD$75 for new copies of this book!

To understand the participles, I would actually recommend Mark W. Cowell's A Reference Grammar of Syrian Arabic (Georgetown Arabic Series), even if it's actually a grammar for a dialect.

I admit I haven't read Wright's two-volume grammar yet even though I have it, so I can't make any judgement on that one.

As for building vocabulary, I don't think textbooks are the only way to go (though they're helpful, of course). My preferred method is reading with a dictionary and meticulously making flashcards for every new word. (And since I use Hans Wehr I inevitably end up learning other words from the same root whenever I look something up). As you have such a strong foundation in the grammar and just lack the vocabulary, that would probably work well for you. There are also plenty of printed readers as well as websites that give texts along with relevant vocabulary lists. Luckily you're interested in the Qur'an and hadith literature, as there's far more material for those than anything else. Memorizing something like this Qur'an Arabic wordlist [PDF] - or Google "80% of Qur'anic words" for other presentations of the same wordlist - would surely go a long way for you.

I actually don't like flashcards very much. Instead, I prefer to make sentences or even mini stories with new vocab I learn--that's why I'm doing Thackston's exercises. Thanks for telling me about those resources, I... actually wasn't aware of them, and I will use them. :)

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2015-07-10, 19:25

Thanks for the recommendation, I found a PDF of the Badawi text and it looks great. Glad I was able to suggest something helpful as well!

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-11, 2:56

This post has my answers to both lessons three and four.

---

Disclaimer: These are my answers for a certain unit, or certain units, of Thackston's An Introduction to Koranic and Classical Arabic. As usual, I promise no guarantee they're 100% correct. Go to the first post of this thread to see all links to the answers of the rest of the chapters.

Lesson Three

Exercises

(a)
1. ismu l-binti 'the girl's name'
2. maliku l-2arDi 'the king of the Earth'
3. waladu mra2atin 'a woman's boy'
4. baytu malikin 'a king's house'
5. rabbu l-bayti 'the lord of the house'
6. ibnu r-rajuli 'the man's son' (there's a typo in the book here btw)
7. shayxu l-madiinati 'the city's chief'
8. kitaabu bintin 'a girl's book'
9. fii jannati l-laahi 'in God's garden'

(b)
1. 2arDu l-laahi
2. madiinatu nabiiyin
3. kitaabu r-rasuuli
4. ibnu mu7ammadin
5. li-mra2ati l-maliki
6. min 7adiiqati r-rajuli
7. bintu l-mar2ati
8. rabbu sh-shayxi
9. ibnu 2a7mada
10. baytu r-rabbi

(c)
1. The chief of the big city left the beautiful woman's house.
2. The man's son went to the king's magnificient garden today.
3. The apostle's book was in the king's house.
4. The old chief found the young boy's book in the house.
5. The name of the faithful man's son was Muhammad.
6. The man entered the house of the king's son.
7. He went to the pious woman's house tonight.
8. Indeed the apostle's book is for the believer.
9. The prophet found a beautiful woman close to the spring.

(d)
1. baytu rabbi l-waladi qariibun min hunaa.
2. dhahaba rasuulu l-laahi 2ilaa madiinati l-maliki l-kabiiri.
3. wajada bnu r-rajuli kitaaban kabiiran fii l-bayti.
4. al-7adiiqatu l-jamiilatu li-mra2ati l-maliki.
5. madiinatu r-rasuuli qariibatun min makkata
6. waladu l-mar2ati mu2minun bi-rasuuli l-laahi.

Lesson Four

Exercises

(a)
1. 2asmaa2u l-2anbiyaa2a
2. Sighaaru l-madiinati
3. muluuku l-2arDi
4. kibaaru l-bayti
5. mu2minuu makkata l-muxliSuuna
6. 2abnaa2u sh-shuyuuxi
7. ibnaa rajulin
8. rijaalu l-madinatayni
9. 2arbaabu l-kutubi
10. bintaa l-mar2ati

(b)
1. muluuku l-madiinati l-kibaaru 'The great kings of the city.'
2. madiinatu l-2anbiyaa2i l-3iZaami 'The magnificent prophets' city.'
3. 2arbaabu l-madiinati l-kabiirati 'The lords of the great city.'
4. ibnaa l-maliki S-Saghiiraani 'The king's two little sons.'
5. nisaa2u rijaalin mu2miniina 'Women of pious men.'
6. buyuutu rijaali l-madiinati 'The houses of the city's men.'
7. li-mu2minii l-2arDi 'to the believers of the Earth'
8. li-shayxay makkata l-kabiirayni 'to Mecca's two great chiefs'
9. nisaa2u l-2anbiyaa2i l-mu2minaatu 'the prophets' pious women'
10. li-rusuli l-laahi l-3iZaami 'to God's great messengers'
11. 3ibaadu l-laahi l-muxliSuuna 'God's devoted servants'
12. shuyuuxu l-madiinati l-kibaaru 'the city's old chiefs'
13. shuyuuxu l-madiinati l-kabiirati 'the big city's chiefs'
14. fii 7adaa2iqu buyuuti r-rijaali 'in the gardens of the men's houses' (this one requires knowledge not yet taught!)
15. fii 7adiiqati bayti l-mar2ati 'in the garden of woman's house'
16. fii 7adiiqatay baytayi l-mar2atayni 'in the gardens of both women's houses'
17. waladaa l-mar2ati 'the woman's two boys'
18. 2awlaadu l-mar2ati S-Sighaari 'the woman's little boys'

(c)
1. 2inna l-laaha rabbu s-samaawaati wa-l-2arDi. 'Indeed God is the lord of the heavens and the Earth.'
2. wajada muusaa 3abdan min 3ibaadi l-laahi l-muxliSiina. 'Moses found a servant from among God's devoted servants.'
3. 2inna li-l-2abdi l-mu2mini xayran. 'Indeed a good thing belongs to the pious servant.'
4. xalaqa l-laahu s-samaawaati wa-l-2arDa, wa-fii dhaalika 2aayatan li-l-mu2miniina. 'God created the heavens and the Earth, and in that, a sign for believers.'
5. 2inna l-mu2miniina 3ibaadu l-laahi. 'Indeed believers are God's servants.'
6. dhaalika kitaabun kabiirun li-3abdayni min 3ibaadi l-laahi. 'That is a big book for two servants from among God's servants.'
7. li-l-mar2ati bintaani kabiirataani wa-bnun Saghiirun 'The woman has two big daughters and a little boy.'
8. muusaa wa-mu7ammadun 2asmaa2u nabiiyayni muxliSayni li-l-laahi. 'Moses and Muhammad are the names of two pious prophets of God.'
9. kaana l-3abdu muxliSan li-rabbi l-bayti. 'The servant was devoted to his house's lord.'
10. li-l-2anbiyaa2i nisaa2un mu2minaatun wa-2awlaadun mu2minuuna. 'The prophets have pious women and pious children.'

(d)
1. ar-rajulu muxliSun li-l-laahi r-rabbi s-samaawaati wa-l-2arDi.
2. kaana dhaalika fii kutubi r-rusuli.
3. kaana waladaa r-rajuli fii 7adiiqati l-maliki.
4. al-3aynu l-kabiiratu qariibatun min 7adaa2iqi l-madiinati.
5. kitaabu nabiiyin xayrun li-l-mu2miniina
6. mudunu l-muluuki hunaa fii l-arDi, wa-jannatu l-laahi fii s-samaawaati.
Last edited by Bubulus on 2015-07-22, 17:14, edited 4 times in total.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-11, 5:11

Log Entry for Day Two (of Sixty-Three)

I gained 240 EXP working through Duolingo's German course, and read a new chapter of Wilson's German textbook (Prepositions Part 1). I worked through units 3 and 4 of the Arabic course.

I was discussing a few things about Wilson's textbook with a couple native speakers of German, and it turns out that, even though the book was actually published in the 90s (or so it seems as far as I can tell), much of the language is quite outdated. That doesn't matter to me since I want to use the language for reading linguistics works, many of which are old (including that 19th century grammar I mentioned), but still... Maybe that's why the publisher put it out of print?

It seems the -e in zu Hause 'at home' and nach Hause gehen is a relic of an earlier of inflection of the noun, so, a relic of the dative case? I can't think of any other explanation for it.
Last edited by Bubulus on 2015-07-11, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-07-11, 5:17

Great job, Serafín! :)
Serafín wrote:It seems the -e in zu Hause 'at home' and nach Hause gehen is a relic of an earlier of inflection of the noun, so, a relic of the dative case? I can't think of any other explanation for it.

Yeah, Hause is the dative singular form. Wiktionary also has this example:

Gestern war ich im Hause meines besten Freundes. 'Yesterday, I was in the house of my best friend.'

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2015-07-11, 8:17

Serafín wrote:It seems the -e in zu Hause 'at home' and nach Hause gehen is a relic of an earlier of inflection of the noun, so, a relic of the dative case? I can't think of any other explanation for it.

It actually is a relic indeed.
Please correct my mistakes!

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2015-07-11, 13:11

I wouldn't call it a relic yet. I agree that outside fixed expressions, the dative -e is pretty much dead in the everyday language (both written and spoken), but people still know how it works, they recognise and occasionally even use it if they intend to use a higher, very formal register. I wouldn't expect to hear or read Vijay's example sentence other than in an old book (it's too mundane for such a register), but be prepared to seeing a dative -e every now and then.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-11, 15:38

I find that very interesting.

In Spanish we actually have a relic of the Latin genitive plural ending, in a similar way: fuero juzgo, from forum iūdicum, where iūdicum is the genitive plural of iūdex. A fully modern version of the expression would be fuero de jueces.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-11, 23:07

This post has my answers to lessons five, six and seven.

-----

Disclaimer: these are my answers for a certain unit, or certain units, of Thackston's An Introduction to Koranic and Classical Arabic. I promise no guarantee they're 100% correct. Go to the first post of this thread to see all links to the answers of the rest of the chapters.

Lesson Five

Exercises

(a)
1. ismun jamiilun, ismaani jamiilaani, 2asmaa2un jamiilatun
2. 2iSba3un jamiilatun, 2iSba3aani jamiilataani, 2aSaabi3un jamiilatun
3. baytun 3aZiimun, baytaani 3aZiimataani, buyuutun 3aZiimatun
4. bintun Saghiiratun, bintaani Saghiirataani, banaatun Saghiiraatun
5. 3aynun kabiirun, 3aynaani kabiiraani, 3uyuunun kabiiratun
6. madiinatun qariibatun, madiinataani qariibataani, mudunun qariibatun
7. 2aayatun qariibatun, 2aayataani qariibataani, 3aayaatun qariibatun or (in Koranic Ar.) 3aayaatun qariibaatun
8. waladun Saghiirun, waladaani Saghiiraani, 2awlaadun Sighaarun
9. 3abdun muxliSun, 3abdaani muxliSaani, 3ibaadun muliSuuna
10. yadun kabiirun, yadaani kabiirataani

(b)
1. xalaqa l-laahu 2aadama min Tiini l-2arDi 'God created Adam out of clay of the earth'
2. sajada l-malaa2ikatu li-2aadama 2illaa 2ibliisa wa-huwa li-l-2insaani 3aduuwun 'The angels postrated before Adam, except Iblis, for he is an enemy to Man'
3. 2inna qalbu l-mu2mini bayna 2iSba3ayni min 2aSaabi3i r-ra7maani 'Indeed the believer's heart is between two fingers of the Most Merciful's fingers.'
4. 2a-huwa min-a l-mu2miniina bi-rusuuli l-laahi 'Is he among those who believe in God's messenger?'
5. qalbu l-mu2mini baytu l-laahi 'The believer's heart is God's house.'
6. nazala l-malaa2ikatu min-a s-samaawaati bi-2amri r-rabbi 3alaa qalbi n-nabiiyi 'The angels descended from the heavens unto the prophet's heart under the order of the Lord.'
7. sajada l-2abdu l-muxliSu li-l-laahi 'The devout servant postrated to God.'
8. sajada li-l-laahi l-3abdu l-muxliS 'The devout servant postrated to God.'
9. 2a-2antum 2awlaadu shayxi l-madiinati 'Are you guys the boys of the city's chief's?'
10. dhaalika min 2amri l-laahi wa-huwa xayrun li-l-mu2miniina 'That is from God's command and so it is good for believers.'

(c)
1. kaana 2ibliisu 3aduuwan li-2aadama wa-li-mra2ati 2aadama
2. dhahaba waladu l-maliki 2ilaa l-muduni S-Saghiirati
3. kaana dhaalika bi-2amri maliki l-madiinati
4. li-nisaa2i r-rijaali S-Saghiiraati 2awlaadun Sighaarun
5. yaday-i l-binti Saghiiratun
6. nazala l-malaaku bi-l-kitaabi min-a s-samaawaati
7. hum rijaalun kibaarun, wa-na7nu Sighaarun
8. hiyya bintu l-maliki, wa-2ana 3aduuwun li-l-maliki
9. 2a-2anta min rijaali l-muduni l-qariibati min hunaa
10. li-shayxi l-madiinati 7adiiqataani kabiirataani jamiilataani

Lesson Six

Exercises

(a)
1. sami3naa
2. kaanataa
3. nazaltunna
4. xalaqtum
5. wajadna
6. sajaduu
7. sami3aa
8. xarajta
9. qaalat
10. dhahabtu
11. daxaltumaa
12. xarajti

(b)
1. xaraja l-2awlaadu 'the boys left', 2inna l-2awlaada xarajuu
2. dhahaba r-rajlaani 'the two men go', 2inna r-rajlayni dhahabaa
3. nazala S-Saali7uuna 'the pious men descended', 2inna S-Saali7iina nazaluu
4. sama3at-i l-bintaani 'the two girls heard', 2inna l-bintayni sama3ataa
5. daxala l-fuqaraa2u 'the poor men entered', 2inna l-fuqaraa2a daxalaa
6. kaanat-i l-mar2ataani 'the two women were', 2inna l-mar2atayni kaanataa
7. qaala sh-shuyuuxu 'the chiefs spoke', 2inna sh-shuyuuxa qaaluu
8. sajadat-i S-Saali7aatu 'the pious women postrated', 2inna S-Saali7aati sajadna
9. wajada l-2anbiyaa2u 'the prophets found', 2inna l-2anbiyaa2a wajaduu
10. maa sami3a r-rijaalu 'the men haven't heard', 2inna r-rijaala maa sami3uu
11. kaana l-mu2minuuna 'the believers were', 2inna l-mu2miniina kaanuu
12. dhahaba l-maliku 'the king went', 2inna l-malika dhahabuu

(c)
1. mana3tum-u l-3ibaada S-Saali7iina min bayti l-laahi 'You prevented the pious servants from going to God's house.'
2. xarajat-i l-mar2atu 3alaa rijaali l-madiinati fa-qaaluu qad xarajti min diini l-laahi 'The woman went out against the city's men, so they said, "you have left God's faith".'
3. qad sami3a l-laahu qawla l-kuffaari wa-hum qaaluu 2inna l-laaha faqiirun wa-na7nu 2aghniyaa2u 'God did hear the unbelievers' words, for they were saying "God is poor and we are rich".'
4. 2antum 2ayna sami3tum 2aayaati l-laahi 'You, where did you hear the signs of God?'
5. hum mu2minuuna bi-l-laahi wa-l-malaa2ikati wa-l-yawmi l-2aaxiri wa-kutubi r-rusuli 'They believe in God, the angels, the Last Day and the messengers' books.'
6. kaana 2ibliisu 3aduuwan li-l-laahi wa-li-l-malaa2ikati wa-li-r-rusuli wa-li-jibriila fa-2inna l-laaha 3aduuwun li-l-kaafiriina 'Iblis was an enemy of God, the angels, the messengers and Gabriel. And so indeed God is an enemy of those who don't believe.'
7. nazala 2amra l-laahi 3alaa quluubi nabiiyi 2aadama 'He brought down God's command to the heart of the prophet Adam.'
8. 2inna mra2ata nuu7in wa-mra2ata luuTin kaanataa li-3abdayni min 3ibaadi l-laahi Saali7ayni 'Indeed Noah's woman and Lot's woman belong to two pious servants among God's pious servants.'
9. daxala n-nabiiyu 3alaa l-fuqaraa2a l-mu2miniina 'The prophet went into the presence of the poor believers.'

(d)
1. maa sajadnaa li-insaanin
2. sami3at n-nisaa2u qawla n-nabiiyi wa-xarajna min-a l-madiinati
3. dhahaba l-fuqaraa2u l-mu2minuuna 2ilaa bayti l-maliki
4. 2a-baytu l-maliki xayrun min bayti l-faqiiri
5. nazala jibriilu 2ilaa l-2arDi bi-2amri l-laahi li-Tiinin
6. 2idh sami3uu 2aayaati l-laahi, xarajuu wa-sajaduu li-r-rasuuli
7. qaala l-laahu 2inna xalaqtu 2aadama min-a T-Tiini
8. mana3a l-mar2atu S-Saali7atu l-2awlaada min-a l-kufri

Lesson Seven

Exercises

(a)
1. fii naarihi 'in his fire'
2. 2aghniyaa2u-haa 'her rich men'
3. min 2amrii 'from my order'
4. 3aduuwuka 'your enemy'
5. bi-2anfusi-him 'in themselves'
6. li-fuqaraa2i-naa 'for our poor (people)'
7. 2azwaaju-kunna 'your husbands'
8. baytaa-humaa 'their (dual) houses'
9. li-nisaa2i-kum kulli-hinna 'to all of your women'
10. Saali7uu-kum 'your pious men'
11. min muxliSii-naa 'from our believers'
12. wajada 2ibraahiimu rabba-hu 'Abraham found his Lord'

(b)
1. yadaa-ya
2. 2anbiyaa2u-hum
3. fii 7adiiqati-ka
4. banaatu-kunna
5. 3aynay-himaa
6. waladu-ki
7. rusulu-naa
8. fii madiinati-hinna
9. buyuutu-kum
10. 3abdu-haa
11. imra2atu-hu
12. li-mra2ati-hi

(c)
1. la3annaa-hum 'we cursed them'
2. 2amaruu-kum 'the commanded them'
3. katabtumaa-hu 'you (dual) wrote it'
4. sami3ti-hinna 'you (f.sg.) heard them'
5. la3anaa-ka 'we cursed you'
6. la3ana-naa 'he cursed us'
7. ja3altu-haa 'I made it, I put it there'
8. daxaltumuu-hu 'you (f.pl.) entered it'
9. mana3at-nii min-hu 'she prevented me from going to it'
10. wajadataa-hum 'they (f. dual) found them'
11. 2amartunna-haa 'you (f.pl.) commanded her'
12. 2amarti-hi bi-hi 'you ordered him to do it'
13. maa kataba li-kumaa 'he hasn't written to you two'
14. mana3a-kunna 'he forbade you (pl.)'
15. wajaduu-hum 'they found them'
16. 2amarta-nii 'you (m.sg.) commanded me'

(d)
1. 2inna rabba-kum xalaqa-kum min nafsi waa7idatin wa-ja3ala min-haa zawja-haa 'Verily your Lord created you from one soul and made [you] a mate from it.'
2. katabnaa 3alay-him 2inna n-nafsa bi-n-nafsi wa-l-3ayna bi-l-3ayni wa-l-2anfa bi-l-2anfi wa-l-2udhna bi-l-2udhni wa-s-sinna bi-s-sinni 'We wrote that they should [proceed] soul for soul, eye for eye, nose for nose, ear for ear, tooth for tooth.'
3. ja3ala l-kuffaru 2aSaabi3a-hum fii 2aadhaani-him 'The unbelievers have put their fingers on their ears.'
4. qaala 2inn-ii 3abdu l-laahi wa-2inna-hu ja3ala-nii nabiiyan 'He said, "I am God's servant and he made me a prophet".'
5. 2inn-ii katabtu 3alay-him dhaalika fa-daxaluu n-naara 2ilaa 2aaxiri 2ayyaami-him 'Indeed I wrote that to them, and so they entered the fire to the last of their days.'
6. 2inna l-laaha ja3ala la-kum min 2anfusi-kum 2azwaajan 'Indeed God made mates for you from your own soul.'
7. wa-laqad 2amara-kum bi-dhaalika l-laahu rabb-ii wa-rabbu-kum 'Indeed God, my Lord and your Lord, has ordered that to you.'

(e)
1. la3ana l-faqiiru 2aghniyaa2a-kum kulla-hum 2ilaa 2aaxiri 2ayyaami-him
2. lammaa xalaqa l-laahu kulla fii l-2arDi, wa-qaala 2inna li-l-2insaani l-2arDu wa-li-l-malaa2ikati s-samaawaatu
3. la3anuu luuTan wa-mra2ata-hu, fa-xarajuu min-a l-madiinati ma3a 2awlaadi-him
4. mana3a l-mar2ataani r-rijaala min-a l-3ayni wa-qaaluu 2inna na7nu mra2ataani wa-la-naa l-3aynu
5. ja3altu yadaa-ya fii-2aadhaan-ii fa-maa sami3tu qawla-hu
6. kaana l-yawmu l-2aaxiru xayrun
Last edited by Bubulus on 2015-07-22, 17:37, edited 3 times in total.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-12, 5:28

Log Entry for Day Three (of Sixty-Three)

I worked through lessons 5, 6 and 7 of the Arabic course. I gained 200 EXP in the Duolingo German course, and as for Wilson's textbook I worked on part of the unit I'm in (unit 5, "Prepositions Part II"). From now on I'll be trying to get at least 200 EXP on Duolingo every day till I finish it (and yes, I do think it's cute that their "Insane" tier for minimum daily practice is just 50 XP per day).

I actually did a little Classical Chinese too: this morning I made a gloss of the first five verses of The Analects of Confucius, and posted it on the ZBB in The Gloss Thread, if anybody wanted to look at it. Somebody elsewhere, after looking at that post, commented to me that reading Classical Chinese is practically like reading a telegram. I must say I wouldn't call that wholly inaccurate... Classical Chinese is in fact pretty much The Telegram Language par excellence.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-13, 5:13

Log Entry for Day Four (of Sixty-Three)

I gained 219 EXP on the Duolingo German course, and I worked through some of the exercises of lesson 8 in the Arabic course.

I truly cannot hear the difference between German /i:/ and /e:/, they both sound like [i:] to me. I suppose the difference might not even be much about pure vowel height but about something else, perhaps a bit of pharyngealization going on for /e:/ or something?

/ø:/ sounds like [u:] to me too, and /ʏ/ and /ʊ/ sound both like [ʊ] to me, but at least these cases are understandable.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-13, 21:36

This post contains my answers to lessons eight and nine.

-----

Disclaimer: these are my answers for a certain unit, or certain units, of Thackston's An Introduction to Koranic and Classical Arabic. I promise no guarantee they're 100% correct. Go to the first post of this thread to see all links to the answers of the rest of the chapters.

Lesson Eight

Exercises

(a)
1. haadhaa/haadhihi/dhaalika/tilka r-ruu7u (word can be of either gender)
2. haadhaani/dhaanika l-kitaabaani
3. haa2ulaa2i/2ulaa2ika l-muluuku
4. haa2ulaa2i/2ulaa2ika l-2arbaabu
5. haadhihi/tilka l-7ayaatu
6. haadhihi/tilka d-dunyaa
7. haadhihi/tilka/haa2ulaa2i/2ulaa2ika l-3aZiimatu
8. haadhaani/haataani/dhaanika/taanika r-ruu7aani
9. haadhaani/dhaanika l-jamiilaani
10. haadhayni/dhaynika sh-shayxayni
11. haataani/taanika l-2udhnaani
12. haadhayni/dhaynika z-zawjaani
13. haadhihi/tilka l-buyuutu
14. haadhihi/tilka n-naaru
15. haadhihi/tilka l-la3natu
16. haadhihi/tilka n-niiraanu
17. haadhihi/tilka l-kutubu
18. haadhaa/dhaalika l-2insaanu
19. haadhihi/tilka n-nafsu

(b)
1. qultum
2. ji2ta or ji2ti
3. qumtu
4. mittumaa
5. kunna
6. kunnaa
7. jaa2a
8. qaamat
9. ji2tunna
10. qulta or qulti
11. maataa or maatataa
12. qaala

(c)
1. 2idh qaamuu fa-qaaluu rabbu-naa rabbu s-samaawaati wa-l-2arDi 'When they arose, then they said "Our Lord is the Lord of the heavens and the Earth".'
2. qumnaa l-layla 2illaa qaliilan 'We, except for a few, stayed up all night.'
3. fa-qumna min maqaami-hinna wa-dhahabna 2ilaa buyuuti-hinna 'They arised from their place and went home.'
4. wa-laqad ji2naa-hum bi-kitaabin bi-smi shayxi tilka l-madiinati 'We did bring them the book with the name of that city's chief.'
5. 2a-ji2ta-nii bi-shayxin 3aZiimin 'Did you bring me a magnificient thing?'
6. ja3ala l-laahu fii dhaalika xayran kathiiran 'In that [place] God made many good things.'
7. 2inna kathiiran min 3ibaadi l-laahi l-mu2miniina qaamuu bi-2awaamiri l-laahi 'Indeed many of God's pious servants arised under His orders.'
8. 2ulaa2ika 2ishataraw-i l-7ayaata d-dunyaa bi-l-2aaxirati 'They purchased a worldly life with their life after death.'
9. mataa3u d-dunyaa qaliilun wa-l-2aaxiratu xayrun 'Worldly goods are few but the afterlife is good.'
10. la-kum diinu-kum wa-liya diin-ii 'You have your religion, and I have my religion.'
11. 2inn-ii wajadtu hunaa shayxan kabiiran wa-ma3a-hu bintun waa7idatun 'Indeed I found an old chief here, and with him, one girl.'
12. wajada nafsa-hu fii baytin 3aZiimin fa-qaama 2ilaa S-Salaati ma3a rijaali l-bayti 'He found himself in a magnificent house, so he went to prayer with the men of the house.'

(d)
1. laysa haadhaa maqaama-ka
2. maatat fii dhaalika l-yawmi bintuhu
3. kunnaa qaliilan wa-kaanuu l-2a3daa2u kathiiran
4. lammaa jaa2a r-rasuulu qumtu min maqaam-ii
5. fii 2amri l-laahi ruu7u kulli 2insaanin
6. ja3alta haadhihi naara hunaa wa-li-2ulaa2ika l-shuyuuxi 2aayatun
7. la3annaa 2anfusa-naa bi-dhaalika
8. haadhihi d-dunyaa sijnu l-mu2mini wa-jannatu l-kaafiri
9. kataba haadhaa l-waladu sma-hu fii haadhaa l-kitaabi. 2a-huwa waladu-ka?
10. la3anuu l-malika bi-kufrihi bi-l-laahi

Lesson Nine

Exercises

(a)
1. al-mar2ataani llataani jaa2ataa
2. rajulun ra2aytahu
3. al-bintu llatii da3at-nii
4. al-maliku lladhii qumta la-hu
5. 2antum lladhiina muttum
6. al-2aayatu llatii ra2ayta-haa
7. al-maqaamu lladhii qumti min-hu
8. 2antunna llawaatii sami3tunna
9. ash-shay2u lladhii 2ataw bi-hi
10. 2ashyaa2u 2ataw bi-haa
11. al-ladhiina ra2aw
12. 2ana lladhii da3aw-hum
13. qawlun sami3tum-uuhaa
14. an-nisaa2u llaatii ra2aytu-hunna

(b)
1. laqad 3afaa l-laahuu 3an dhaalika 'God did forgive that.'
2. fa-2atat maryamu qawma-haa bi-bni-haa 3iisaa fa-qaaluu yaa maryamu maa haadhaa lladhii ji2ti bi-hi 'And so Mary brought her people with her son Jesus, and they said 'O Mary, what is this that you have brought with him?'
3. 2inna lladhii 2ataw bi-l-2aayaati da3aw-i l-laaha 'Indeed those who brought the verses of the Koran called upon God.'
4. ra2aa qalb-ii rabb-ii 'My heart saw God.'
5. yaa qawmu 2inna haadhihi l-7ayaata d-dunyaa shay2un qaliilun 'O tribe, indeed this worldly life is a little thing.'
6. al-mu2minuuna ka-nafsi waa7idatin 'The believers are like one soul.'
7. wa-maa ramayta 2idh ramayta wa-laakinna l-laaha ramaa 'You didn't throw when you threw, it was Allah who threw.'
8. ash-shayxu fii bayti-hi ka-n-nabiyyi fii qawmi-hi 'The chief is in his house like a prophet in his people.'
9. haadhihi l-7ayaatu d-dunyaa llatii na7nu fii-haa 2araytum-uu-haa xayran la-kum 'This worldly life in which we are, do you all see it as good thing for you?'
10. 2inna lladhiina kafaruu wa-maatuu 2ulaa2ika 3alay-him la3natu l-laahi 'Indeed as for those who die not believing, they will receive God's curse.'
11. fa-lladhiina kafaruu min qawmi-hi ramaw-hu bi-r-rimaa7i 'And so those among his tribe who disbelieved threw him out with spears.'
12. huwa ka-r-rajuli lladhii 2ataa bi-naa fa-qaala 2inna-naa ra2aynaa 2aayaata n-nabiiyi 'He is like the man who brought us, and so he said, "Indeed we have seen the prophet's signs".'
13. lammaa ra2aa l-maliku l-mar2ata l-faqiirata qaaama wa-da3aa-haa 2ilay-hi 'When the king saw the poor woman, he arose and called her to his presence.'
14. da3aw-hum 2ilaa 2aaxiri 2ayaami 7ayaati-him wa-lakinna-hum maa sami3uu qawla-hum 'They called them to the last day of their lives, but they did not listen to what they were saying.'

(c)
1. da3aa l-3abdu rabba-hu wa-qaala 2inna-naa lladhiina ji2naa hunaa lasna kathiiran
2. qaama r-rajulu l-kabiiru li-S-Salaati fa-maata mu2minan li-l-laahi
3. ja3altu yaday-ya haataani 3alaa 3aynay-ya fa-maa ra2aytu shay2an
4. fa-qultu li-l-waladi lladhii jaa2a-nii bi-hadhayni l-kitaabayni
5. yaa qawmu, 2a-ra2aytum lammaa jaa2a-naa l-malaa2ikatu bi-2aayaata l-laahi min-a s-samaawaati
6. maa qulta li-3abdi l-maliki lammaa da3aa-kaa
7. la-hu waladaani 3afaa-hum wa-waladun maa 3afaa-hu
Last edited by Bubulus on 2015-07-22, 17:44, edited 6 times in total.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”