SAC 2015 - Electrophants (中文, 台語)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Electrophants
Re: SAC 2015 - Electrophants (中文, 한국어)

Postby Electrophants » 2015-08-16, 15:18

[flag=]ko[/flag]
I absolutely bombed TOPIK, and I'm unexpectedly really upset about this. On the same day I got my results, I tried to talk to some Korean guys in my hostel, but they couldn't understand what I was saying at all because my pronunciation is so terrible. The fact that after so much study I can't even communicate at a basic level... I really don't want to have anything to do with this language at the moment.

Electrophants

Postby Electrophants » 2015-10-12, 3:01

[flag=]tw[/flag]
I’m WAY overdue for an update, so let me try to catch you up to speed!

After the conference, I had about two weeks before the placement test for my Chinese classes. I tried to use that time to do some language exchanges for extra preparation. Unfortunately, these were not as effective as I had hoped; for some reason the people I met with seemed to have trouble understanding that I know how to say more than “ni hao”, but I’m not at the level where I can discuss politics, astronomy, and cinema.

The placement test finally came around, and it didn’t go so great. (Probably unsurprising, as it was my first Chinese test in almost two years.) I placed into the class that started from PAVC Book 1, Chapter 7, which was a bit lower than what I’d been secretly hoping for. However, after a few days of class I was moved up the the PAVC Book 2 class, because my teacher was afraid that my original class would be too easy for me. I expected I was going to have to do a lot of catching up for my new class, but the level actually feels just right and (not to sound conceited but) I’ve shot up to the top of the class.

However, I think starting classes actually lured me into a false sense of security. I noticed that even since the semester began, I’ve found myself reviewing flashcards on Pleco less and less. My Chinese study routine was simply go to class, go home, do my homework, study for a few minutes the next morning for that day’s quiz, rinse and repeat. I’m definitely “cruising” - I’m passing my class with flying colors and very little effort, but I know I should push myself to do more outside the classroom. So I’ve restarted my search for language exchange partners (all the old ones flaked out on me :| ).

[flag=]tw[/flag]台語
And guess who’s learning Taiwanese! My school is offering a class, and I signed up. The bad news is that we only have six sessions, and the class is taught entirely in Mandarin, thus hard for me to follow, but I’ll be picking up a copy of the textbook Harvard Taiwanese 101 this week, and hopefully I’ll find people who can help me out outside of class.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-10-12, 6:11

Electrophants wrote:[flag=]tw[/flag]台語
And guess who’s learning Taiwanese! My school is offering a class, and I signed up. The bad news is that we only have six sessions, and the class is taught entirely in Mandarin, thus hard for me to follow, but I’ll be picking up a copy of the textbook Harvard Taiwanese 101 this week, and hopefully I’ll find people who can help me out outside of class.

Goa ka li kong!

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”