PLB 4713AH - Youngfun (日本語, Tiếng Việt)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Re: PLB 4713AH - Youngfun (日本語, Tiếng Việt)

Postby OldBoring » 2016-01-04, 7:56

Geureit!

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Re: PLB 4713AH - Youngfun (日本語, Tiếng Việt)

Postby OldBoring » 2016-01-24, 18:43

Time for an update! Probably my first update with something being done! :mrgreen:

[flag=]ja[/flag] I'm going slowly. Since the 15th I've been trying to learn 10 hiragana every two days (the intention was every day, but ehem… some days I forget, some days I'm busy with something else).

So I learned the hiragana for the vowels and the k, s, t, n rows. Plus ya, yu, yo, wa, wo (but pronounced o), ha, the singular consonant n just stuck in my mind.

I often test myself and there's always one or two that I forget for a while. Maybe I could use realkana, a website once Koko recommended me.

I found out that the man'yogana approach works quite well for me.
Although… how the heck can 幾 become き, or 知 become ち, etc… the hiragana inventor must've had a lot of imagination.

Weirdly, I find writing hiragana easier than reading. When I write, I can remind the hiragana in short time, because I can associate with the man'yogana, while when reading my mind just gets confused, especially distinguishing between ki, sa and chi.

I learnt some phonetic rules explained by my book, based on the ‘standard’ Tokyo/NHK media accent:

Then on the book I saw a chapter about the pitch accent, and a like 3-page table about the pitch accent rules. :shock:
Maybe I will eventually learn them…

[flag=]vi[/flag] I'm going to Vietnam tomorrow! And the next to nothing that I studied will be useless.
So this Tuttle Elementary Vietnamese is based on Hanoi accent! Er… Whatever, better than nothing.

A thing I found strange is that it puts all the pronunciation guide at the end, while the beginning of the book is like a 2-page general introduction about the language and then already starts with a dialogue!
I'm sorry, but I need to go to the pronunciation guide at first (the books in fact advises to either go to the pronunciation guide first, or to learn it side by side with the dialogues).

In the general introduction it shows the consonant inventory. And surprise! /b/ and /d/ are not implosive as I thought.
Then it shows an up-side down triangle with he vowels in the spelling form, which I didn't find very useful to learn the pronunciation of the vowels.

So I went to the pronunciation guide and listened to the first three units.
I listened to and repeated the pronunciation of a, i, u, t, h, o-hook, u-hook, k, ng, kh, g, e, ê, o, ô, nh, and the six tones — and examples of words containing these sounds.
The book described the consonants b, m, ph, v, d, n, l as almost the same as English, so they weren't considered consonants to ‘learn’.
Most consonants till here are a piece of cake to me, except kh and g. And surprise! kh is not an aspirated k!
I'm not sure I get the tones right, but I struggle to pronounce the ‘broken’ ones differently.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”