TAC 2015 - PEMbl (Русский, Español, Україньска)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

PEMbl
TAC 2015 - PEMbl (Русский, Español, Україньска)

Postby PEMbl » 2014-12-21, 20:12

Hello, зравствуйте, holà, зрастуйте everyone! Welcome to my TAC challenge for the year 2015!

As some of you may have noticed I'm a new member to the Unilang community. I first joined at the beginning of 2014 but I only recently started posting, about a week ago. So for those who never saw my introduction(which was only in the russian-speaking part of the forum), my name is Remi(please refer to me as such), I'm a 21 year old Quebecer, who speaks french as a native language and english as a language I learned when I was 10. I discovered my love for learning languages years ago, but only recently did I realize how much I really loved it. And although learning languages like Arabic, Cantonese, Romanian or Italian would be much easier here in Quebec, the first foreign language I learned was Russian. And I totally fell in love with it. My 2015 TAC challenge will include 3 languages, Russian, Spanish and Ukrainian, with each level of proficiecy described underneath each one of them.

So here they are, in order of how much effort is to be spent on it :

[flag=]ru[/flag] RUSSIAN / РУССКИЙ
Current level : Between B1 and B2, but I'd say closer to B2.
Goal : C1

The reason for why I learn russian would take a wall of text to explain, so I'll resume it by saying that when I start studying the culture of a country, it feels necessary for me to understand its language as well. There aren't many russian speakers in Quebec, although they are more common in one region of Montreal, I live on the south shore(The city of montreal being an island) so russian-speakers aren't a common sight. I got to the B1 level with a lot of practice, I did all 90 of pimsleur's russian lessons, listen to a lot of russian music, television, and now unilang. It's working well so far, after two years I didn't think it could be possible for me to get to that level in a language I pretty much can't practice in real life, a language that has totally different grammar and roots. I'm going to be travelling to Russia in 2016 and I want to be as proficient as possible. C1 is in my opinion achievable, as I'm between B1 and B2 at the moment and have been making a lot of progress recently. This is the language that I'll be focusing on the most.

[flag=]es[/flag]SPANISH / ESPAÑOL
Current level : A1
Goal : B1

Although my spanish is still very basic, it feels really easy for me to have conversations with native speakers; in fact, they are often surprised that I'm only at that level because I can speak at a good speed and my accent isn't so bad (it does sound a bit Russian though.. and sometimes I mix up words in Russian and Spanish! :lol: ) I will be starting all of Pimsleur's lessons, will be using Unilang and I may listen to some spanish TV and music as well. The big advantage I have here for this language is that there's a huge community of spanish speakers where I live, and I have many spanish speaking customers at my job who are eager to hear anyone speak spanish with them! So the learning process will obviously(don't forget I'm a french speaker) be much easier than Russian. For that reason I think B1 is a reasonable level to aim for in one year and I'm looking forward to see you guys on the spanish speaking forum quite soon! I might wait a bit to gain some skill before I start chatting about more complicated stuff though.

[flag=]uk[/flag]UKRAINIAN / УКРАЇНЬСКА
Current level : what mutual intellegibility with Russian gives me
Goal : A2

This is a very uncommon and as some would even say, somewhat pointless language to learn where I live. I do not think the same. Although most Canadian Ukrainians aren't concentrated in my region, there's an ever-increasing number of Ukrainian speakers in Canada. This number isn't huge, but it's there. For a long time I've been thinking I should focus on German or Swedish before learning Ukrainian since it's got much more chances to be useful to me, but I can't keep myself from being fascinated every time I read it or hear it. So there it is. I'm pretty good at learning a language just by listening, so this will be a test. I won't be putting a lot of effort in it, I might do a few Pimsleur lessons just to get the main point of the accent, but I want to try out the skills I developped in Russian and the skills I naturally have to learn a language just by listening, on Ukrainian. I'll be posting very simple things in the Ukrainian Unilang forum, will watch TV and listen to music in Ukrainian. In my opinion A1 is easily achievable but I would really like to get to A2. Ukraine is also a place I would like to visit, just for that reason I think learning its language is far from useless.

Please, everyone, all feedback and or questions are more than welcomed! In fact, I'm eager to see what you have to say! Thank you for reading my 2015 TAC challenge and I wish you, fellow participants, a good learning!
Fluent : [flag=]fr-QC[/flag][flag=]us[/flag]
Intermediate&Actively learning : [flag=]ru[/flag]
Slowly begginning in : [flag=]es[/flag][flag=]uk[/flag]
Interested in :[flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]de[/flag]

IpseDixit

Re: TAC 2015 - PEMbl (Русский, Español, Україньска)

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-22, 0:10

Hi Rémi, welcome! It's nice to see another person learning Russian. :)

I guess Ukranian shouldn't be difficult to master if you already have a decent knowledge of Russian. However I suppose there might be the risk of mixing up the two languages, considering how close they are. And btw, I think it's always the best thing to do, to go for the language you really like and not the one you think could be more useful. :wink:

As for Spanish, are you going to aim for a "European" pronunciation or a South American one?
Last edited by IpseDixit on 2014-12-22, 0:50, edited 1 time in total.

PEMbl

Postby PEMbl » 2014-12-22, 0:23

Yeah, it really makes learning much easier. I do have interest in german and swedish, too! But with the interest i have for the ukrainian culture it's gonna be much more easy. And in the worst case, if I mix the languages I'll probably still be understood =P

And probably a columbian/venezuelan accent because it's the most commonly heard pronounciation where I live.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2014-12-22, 1:21

PEMbl wrote:And probably a columbian/venezuelan accent because it's the most commonly heard pronounciation where I live.

Sí, hay muchos colombianos que viven en Montreal.

Alors, bienvenue à Unilang (au Unilang?) Rémbi. Bonne chance avec ton TAC.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-22, 2:21

dEhiN wrote:Sí, hay muchos colombianos que viven en Montreal.

¿De veras? ¿Sabes por qué?
Alors, bienvenue à Unilang (au Unilang?)

à

PEMbl

Postby PEMbl » 2014-12-22, 3:12

Thanks dEhiN!

Actually, in Russian IMO it would be better written of as Реми but I wasn't really experienced yet with the russian alphabet when I made this account. But yeah, my name is Rémi.

I have no idea why there's so many columbians here in Montreal. When I ask them why they're here instead of somewhere else they just say because it was an attractive place to come to in North America. There's also a lot of venezuelans(?) and chilleans here. It may just be my opinion, but it may be because we speak french, which is more similar than english for a spanish speaker. Or because we have many many latin venues, restaurants, neighbourhoods, etc. in Montreal?

It IS a really multicultural city though. And I think that compared to other places in North America(not saying everywhere, notice how I make a huge effort not to offend anyone in this post), most immigrants are generally treated well, unless they're .."unpleasant".. But generally latinos are really respectful of our culture and embrace it instead of trying to change it, so that might explain why there's so many of them here. :)

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2014-12-22, 8:21

I like the language names coloured as the flag. :D

PEMbl

Postby PEMbl » 2014-12-22, 14:18

Colors make things pretty! And pretty stuff gets people's attention! I think I'll recolor spanish to columbian colors though.

On a short note, I'll be starting Pimsleur lessons in Ukrainian today and will do the 5th spanish one(forgive me for I already started spanish a week ago.) It's gonna be hard not to use a russian accent on some ukrainian words but I'm really eager to develop the accent!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-22, 22:09

PEMbl wrote:Colors make things pretty! And pretty stuff gets people's attention! I think I'll recolor spanish to columbian colors though.

You can also specify that you're learning Colombian Spanish if you want, instead of using the flag of Spain. (Just in case you're curious, the code for Colombian Spanish is es-CO).

PEMbl

Postby PEMbl » 2015-04-19, 19:11

End of first trimester update:

Haven't been on Unilang for a while, actually, haven't been on it since new year. It's more of a lack of time than a lack of will though, so rest assured!

Language-wise, I did make progress since then, but however not in the way I expected to. I barely made any progress in Ukrainian, and Spanish has been stalling, but that is for the reason that my efforts have been concentrated on the Russian language. I've been learning a lot of vocabulary, and also made a few russian friends which helped and also joined a Montreal russian language&culture exchange group to help me practice. Real practice VS virtual, lonely practice, is totally different. At first I was almost shy to say simple phrases and now(although I'm really lacking vocabulary) I can have conversations. It's a real game changer..

Things never turn out how we expect them to, I think :)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2016-03-01, 16:21

IpseDixit wrote:Hi Rémi, welcome! It's nice to see another person learning Russian. :)

I guess Ukranian shouldn't be difficult to master if you already have a decent knowledge of Russian. However I suppose there might be the risk of mixing up the two languages, considering how close they are.

Ukrainian and Russian are not so close as you think. And they are not mutually inteligeble. Belarusian, Polish and Slovak are far closer.
Although Russian grammar is close to Ukrainian, vocabulary is more similar to Bulgarian, because of great amount of loanwords from Church Slavonic. In Ukrainian such loanwords are not that common.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-03-01, 16:41

Belarusian yes, but Polish and Slovak are nowhere near as closely related to Russian as Ukrainian is.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2016-03-01, 16:50

vijayjohn wrote:Belarusian yes, but Polish and Slovak are nowhere near as closely related to Russian as Ukrainian is.

I didnt say that they are close to russian. you misunderstood me.
I said that they are closer to Ukrainian than Russian is, and this is true, believe me! Because I can understand Polish. and i would not understandrussian if i didnt know it. Do not believe that languages called east slavic are not descendants of a common language as some people claim due to political reasons.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-03-01, 16:59

Oh, closer to Ukrainian! OK, now I get what you mean. Thanks! :)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2016-03-01, 17:04

vijayjohn wrote:Oh, closer to Ukrainian! OK, now I get what you mean. Thanks! :)

:)
By the way, can I start TAC 2016 now, or it's too late?
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-03-01, 17:27

Sure, you can. :)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2016-03-01, 21:08

vijayjohn wrote:Sure, you can. :)

So I can start later, not only on 1 January? Then there is my thread: viewtopic.php?f=119&t=46895&p=1042933#p1042933
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-03-01, 23:37

Irusia wrote:So I can start later, not only on 1 January?

Yes. OldBoring started his on Chinese New Year, which is long after January 1. ;) Levike started his in July 2014. Basically, everybody just does it however they want. :P

Yeah, I saw it. Thanks! :)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2016-06-28, 22:57

Привіт! Як справи із вивченням української?
TAC 2019

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”