TAC 2015 - IpseDixit

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

IpseDixit
Re: TAC 2015 - IpseDixit (português, ladin, עברית, русский)

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-02-20, 13:22

Time for a few considerations:

Now that my Ladin is quite advanced and hence I don't have much to do with it except for learning new words and a bunch of irregular verbs, and now that my Portuguese is at some intermediate level and my studies of it are going quite smoothly for now, except for a few nasty irregular verbs, I've decided to take up French again.

I've also decided not to do German, at least not in a close future.

This week has been dedicated mainly to Hebrew. I've studied 3 new bynianim (the regular ones), how to form the adverbs, the comparatives and superlatives and a few other things. What I need to do is to start building up my personal vocabulary because I know too few words. But I have an ace up my sleeve :P

I hope to also start some Russian because I've been procrastinating this language for too long. :S

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2015 - IpseDixit (pt, lld, fr, he, ru)

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-22, 4:41

Haha I have that same book for Japanese. :P

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-02-23, 17:15

vijayjohn wrote:Haha I have that same book for Japanese. :P

It's a great resource. :lol:

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-03-24, 15:31

So here's a lengthy post just to say that I'm quitting two languages. :lol:

Backstory: I'm the kind of language learner who prefers having an in-depth knowledge of fewer languages rather than a shallow knowledge of a lot of them, and please don't misunderstand me, I don't judge those who enjoy learning many languages, I perfectly realize that there are different sorts of language enthusiasts. I really don't want to start a fight about this on here, or anywhere else for that matter.

Anyway, I thought that 4 foreign languages (English and Ladin excluded) could be a feasible task but I've kind of changed my mind about that, especially since I've recently realized how much I still have to know about English, which is a language that I've been learning (more or less actively) for a lot of years. So I've decided to downsize my language list. It's not the first time I do that, but I've never managed to be completely serious about that before.

After weighing up the pros and cons I've decided to quit [flag=]pt[/flag] and [flag=]ru[/flag] and here are the reasons why:

[flag=]fr[/flag]

I like France, it's probably my favourite foreign country in Europe, and it's a neighbouring country that I can reach by car within about 5 hours and this really motivates me to learn French. Moreover it's quite a widespread language, spoken in other interesting countries, and I like how it sounds, I think its phonology is quite interesting. However the extreme closeness to Italian grammar-wise can make it a bit dull sometimes, but I'm ready to take this risk.

[flag=]he[/flag]

I have an Israeli friend and various acquaintances and one day I'd like to talk with them in Hebrew. But that aside, I just love the language. I also like Israel because it's a nice mix between the West and the Middle East. The con is that it's quite a tiny country and pretty much everything revolves around Tel Aviv (or Jerusalem if you're religious), but again, it's a con that I'm ready to accept.

UPDATE: Ok, Hebrew is gone too.

And now the reasons why I'm going to quit [flag=]pt[/flag] and [flag=]ru[/flag]

[flag=]pt[/flag]

Portuguese is a bit frustrating for various reasons: Portuguese novels are expensive as fuck, Portuguese TV seems pretty boring (not that it's the only one, but still...), foreign films are not dubbed and I'm not too hung up on cheesy telenovelas, moreover every time you google something in Portuguese, odds are you'll get a part of the results in Spanish. :x Things can get even worse if, like me, you're interested in European Portuguese which is in a minority position compared with Brazilian Portuguese.

[flag=]ru[/flag]

I like Russian culture in an idealistic way I guess (if that makes any sense), but I really doubt I'd be able to fit in nowadays' Russian society owing to, amongst other things, the extreme homophobia of the country. Not that I've ever planned on living in Russia, but when you learn a language I think it's almost impossible not to get in contact with its society. I realize I could be accused of generalizing and painting an entire people with the same brush, so let me get this straight: I don't believe that all Russians are homophobic but I don't think I'm making anything up when I say that the general attitude isn't one of the best and that there are huge problems of homophobia.
Last edited by IpseDixit on 2015-06-13, 13:43, edited 2 times in total.

IpseDixit

Re: TAC 2015 - IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-06-13, 13:41

Siere n muie pesimous de scomenzèr endodanef mi TAC ajache per endèna no son stat bon de la trèr inant a na vida ceta e coerenta, mi problem é semper stat che é mudà mi obietives n muion de outes, tolan demez e jontan ite endodanef desvalives lengac. Per chesta rejon, cherdee de no fèr più la TAC ajache encomai la me someèa n sgherz, purampò ades é mingol de ecresciùjum e é dezedù de dèr de outa a scriver chió.

La prùma desvalivanza a respet del passà la é che no me meteré più obietives da sturtèr sù percheche jà sé che no saré bon de esser n student regolèr. Scichedonca chesta TAC sarà piutost n diarie olache scrive chel che é fat.

É dezedù de scomenzèr endodanef valgugn lengac che aee arbandonà. Descheche é scrit ence chió te chest thread, son semper stat mingol cruzià de fèr tropes lengac ajache é semper cherdù che l fossa mior saer peces lengac ma a una vida n muie fona; gé cogne dir che é mingol mudà idea su chest tem, é scomenzà a pisser che l no fossa na burta roba saer più lengac seence no a na vida ezelenta, soraldut percheche me pièsc viajèr e saer desvalives lengac canche se viaja, l deida n muie.

Aboncont, la maior pèrt de mi energies la é te chest moment per l spagnoul e l franzous, purampò fae ence mingol de olandeis, portugheis e ladin.

Delà de studièr la gramatica, te chest temp leje La cèsa di spirc de Isabel Allende per spagnoul, L segnor di anìe per ingleis e chiere ence de translatèr L gabian Jonathan Livingstone per ladin.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”