TAC 2016 - Levi (DE, EN, ES, HU, RO)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Levike
Re: TAC 2015 - Levi (DE, EN, ES, HU, RO)

Postby Levike » 2015-08-11, 20:02

dEhiN wrote:At 12 o'clock I was told that I havehad to make a review of my activity at the company and a presentation of the applications that I was working on. My first reaction was "Oh n-n-n-nein, auf keinen Fall", more because I was petrified that I havehad to make a 30 minutes long presentation in German.

But it went well,; luckily they understood everything I said, they even putasked questions at the end. I was still talkedtalking more slowly than my other colleagues (they're German, duh), 'cause I had to overthink my sentences, but I'm glad I got my message through.

When we were going back to the office my supervisor and the other intern (both) said bravo, which felt very good. :oops:

2. A week ago I had to move (the contract was until the end of July),; there I was living with 2 German guys, roughly my age, a bit older, but they were very fun and now I'm living with a French woman who's French accent is even more audible than my Hungarian one. :ohwell:

It's all fun and games until we have to talk about serious businessthings.
Today I was attempting to use the washing machine for the first time and she offered to help me. It took 15 minutes until she explainedfor her to explain (or simply: to explain) everything, 'cause every third sentence coming from either one of us was either "Was?" or "Quoi?".

It's fun living with her though, for this exact same reason.

:wow:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-08-12, 3:45

Levike wrote: :wow:

Sorry, I hope I didn't discourage you! Maybe it's because of years of having listened to ESL English, but now when I correct a non-native's English I tend to only focus on glaring errors. So there's a kind of "ESL advanced English" that I accept and don't bother correcting. With your recent post I only decided to think in terms of a native speaker's level because I was inspired by Koko doing the same.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-08-12, 6:53

dEhiN wrote:Sorry, I hope I didn't discourage you! […] With your recent post I only decided to think in terms of a native speaker's level because I was inspired by Koko doing the same.

:oops: I didn't even think of how daunting the native level can be (idioms, pragmatics, paraphrastic phrases, etc). But to your credit dEhiN, your corrections on the verbs aspect-wise can have no other alternative.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-08-12, 17:01

dEhiN wrote:Sorry, I hope I didn't discourage you!.

Don't worry, in fact I appreciate it.

Unilang's the only place I can practice my English, and it's better to be corrected here than in real situations.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-08-13, 4:18

Native speakers say "exact same" all the time. Some examples from the online Corpus of Contemporary American English:

• And for the exact same reason that you don't snatch a hundred people off the street (Spoken: National Public Radio: Science)
  • Yet you'd likely be grateful for the exact same advice if you'd asked for it. (Magazine: Psychology Today)
  • and face all the exact same questions (News: USA Today)
  • young men our age, some our friends and relatives, were doing the exact same thing (Academic. Natural History)

(I agree with the other corrections of that post, FWIW.)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-08-13, 5:18

Serafín wrote:Native speakers say "exact same" all the time.

This is true. Especially when preceded by "this/that."

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-08-13, 5:19

Koko wrote:

This is true. Especially when preceded by "this/that."

Really? I think that's where I'm relatively unlikely to use it.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2015-08-13, 7:35

Levike wrote:I'm living with a French woman who's whose French accent is even more audible than my Hungarian one.
"Who's" is a contraction of "who is", and "whose" is the possessive form of "who".
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-08-13, 7:38

Are you sure, vijay? Maybe it's differences of dialects, but if I want to say "that/this exact reason" I almost always add "same." Whereas I may casually leave it out with "the." This exact same thing is done by everybody around me too. (admittedly, "exact same" is usually heard/said more often anyways when either of the two words are fine alone)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-08-13, 14:20

Koko wrote:Are you sure, vijay?

Yep.
Maybe it's differences of dialects

Yeah, that's what I figured.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-08-13, 16:12

You're right; it's spoken a lot. But I guess I was correcting it from a written English perspective, and afaik "exact same" would generally be frowned upon on school papers and such. Though it's been a while since I was in school, so maybe even at the uni level it's accepted nowadays.

As for "this/that exact same" versus simply "this/that exact", I've heard both. So I think it's both a dialectal and idiolectal thing - I think I've heard people in Toronto use both, and I would think that a city should classify as having one dialect.

Dormouse559 wrote:
Levike wrote:I'm living with a French woman who's whose French accent is even more audible than my Hungarian one.
"Who's" is a contraction of "who is", and "whose" is the possessive form of "who".

Thanks Matthew; I can't believe I missed that! I think it's because since they are homophones, when writing I find I have to pause to think about which one I mean. So when reading, even if it's the wrong form, in my head I read it the one way and assume the correct meaning :D.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-09-22, 17:41

[flag=]de[/flag]

I feel like the further I get from the Lower Saxony the harder it is to understand people speaking.
So either I got used to the local way of speaking, or the others have to revise their accents.

Even with the friends I've made, if they say like "jetze" or "Ik denk", that's fine.

But this weekend as I was in Berlin I slept with *5 girls (3 from Cologne) and whilst speaking to those from Cologne they sometimes said something like "je-" instead of "ge-", or maybe it's just me overanalysing.

+ I like when people say that they love my accent. :oops:

*The reason I got to be in a hostel room with 5 girls is because of my name. They thought "Levente" must be a girl.

[flag=]hu[/flag] While in Berlin, I heard a tourist family speaking in Hungarian.

The kid turned around and said "Daddy, daddy, the storm's coming!",
to which the dad sarcastically replied "Oh gee... it is".

My best buddy here stated that Hungarian sounds like "cancer".
Or maybe it's a payback for calling him a nazi, I don't know.

Yeah, it's nice to have "Kumpels".

[flag=]en[/flag] [flag=]es[/flag]

Rock bottom.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-09-22, 20:18

Levike wrote:[flag=]de[/flag]

I feel like the further I get from the Lower Saxony the harder it is to understand people speaking.
So either I gotget used to the local way of speaking, or the others have to revise their accents.

Even with the friends I've made, if they say like "jetze" or "Ik denk", that's fine.

But this weekend as I was in Berlin I slept with *5 girls (3 from Cologne) and whilst speaking to those from Cologne they sometimes said something like "je-" instead of "ge-", or maybe it's just me overanalysing.

+ I like when people say that they love my accent. :oops:

*The reason I got to be in a hostel room with 5 girls is because of my name. They thought "Levente" must be a girl.

:rotfl: Were they surprised when you turned out to not be a girl? (Also you do know what "I slept with 5 girls" connotes, right? Of course if that's what you meant, cool (and maybe kudos?! :P). But if not, you may want to revise that.)

Levike wrote:[flag=]hu[/flag] While in Berlin, I heard a tourist family speaking in Hungarian.

The kid turned around and said "Daddy, daddy, the storm's coming!",
to which the dad sarcastically replied "Oh gee... it is".

My best buddy here stated that Hungarian sounds like "cancer".
Or maybe it's a payback for calling him a nazi, I don't know.

Yeah, it's nice to have "Kumpels".

Cool, I learned a new German word!

Levike wrote:[flag=]en[/flag] [flag=]es[/flag]

Rock bottom.

Aww, but look at the bright side - there's no bottom below this. So there's nowhere to go but up!

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-09-22, 20:30

dEhiN wrote:
Levike wrote:*The reason I got to be in a hostel room with 5 girls is because of my name. They thought "Levente" must be a girl.

:rotfl: Were they surprised when you turned out to not be a girl? (Also you do know what "I slept with 5 girls" connotes, right? Of course if that's what you meant, cool (and maybe kudos?! :P). But if not, you may want to revise that.)

Gosh, I knew I shoud have rephrased that. Wouldn't have minded getting rapped though.

I didn't tell them that they accidentally put me in a girls' room. Why would I.

Aww, but look at the bright side - there's no bottom below this. So there's nowhere to go but up!

Your optimism is astonishing.

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2015-09-23, 10:33

Levike wrote:I feel like the further I get from the Lower Saxony the harder it is to understand people speaking.
So either I got used to the local way of speaking, or the others have to revise their accents.

You probably just need to get used to the fact that there are different accents. To some degree, that's simply part of the German language reality, even when speaking Hochdeutsch.

No, that observation sounds about right for people from Cologne. (Berlinerisch does the same thing, by the way.)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-10-17, 15:11

[flag=]de[/flag]

1. On the last week of my internship I had to write a 25 page long documentation on my whole activity.
I wrote it in German (for obvious reasons) and my supervisor read it all...

We read it together and he corrected my grammar on every single page.

I think his inner Grammar-Nazi was bleeding.

Side-note: Apparently sentences like "Putin is riding a bear" are not appreciated in documentations.

2. I signed a contract with the company where I had my internship. 8-)
My work begins on November 2 and my fist task will be an Android app for Volkswagen.

Why is this relevant?

Well, the company's German so we have to go for 1-2 weeks to Braunschweig.
And that means I'll be speaking German again. *Yuppi!

3. I started watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood with German subtitles.
It won't help with my pronunciation, but I think that reading short sentences is the best way to learn in my case.

*I have no idea how to spell that.

[flag=]en[/flag]

I started listening to a lot of English songs. It's something. :silly:
Currently my accent sounds like Vladimir and Hans had a child together.

By writing this post I realised I have zero to no idea about English prepositions.
"to help my pronunciation" VS "to help with my pronunciation" and many more.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-10-17, 17:31

Levike wrote:1. On the last week of my internship I had to write a 25 page long documentationreport on my whole activityall that I did (or: on all my work).
Side-note: Apparently sentences like "Putin is riding a bear" are not appreciated in documentationsreports.

2. I signed a contract with the company where I had my internship. 8-)
My work begins on November 2 and my first task will be an Android app for Volkswagen.

Why is this relevant?

Well, the company's German so we have to go for 1-2 weeks to Braunschweig.
And that means I'll be speaking German again. *Yuippi!

3. I started watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood with German subtitles.
It won't help with my pronunciation, but I think that reading short sentences is the best way to learn in my case.

*I have no idea how to spell that.

Now you do! I've also seen it spelled as "yippy".

Congrats on signing a contract! I don't remember the company name, but I take it they make phone apps?

"Documentation" wouldn't be used in this case; we would use "report" as the generic term. "Documentation" would be used in business more for the idea of a manual of some kind: I had to write the documentation for the latest version of this app.

Also, yeah watching subs doesn't help with pronunciation, but it does help with reading and building vocabulary.

Levike wrote:[flag=]en[/flag]

I started listening to a lot of English songs. It's something. :silly:
Currently my accent sounds like Vladimir and Hans had a child together.

By writing this post I realised I have zero to no idea about English prepositions.
"to help my pronunciation" VS "to help with my pronunciation" and many more.

Haha, your accent will improve with time. Actually if you want, maybe we could do biweekly chats on Skype?

It sounds a bit odd to say "zero to no idea" since those two mean the same thing. As for "help my" versus "help with my", it depends on the sentence. Most of the time it's "help with my", but in some sentences you can use both and depending on the person "to help my" might be more common.

Ex:
I need help with my pronunciation - need "with"
This is supposed to help me with my pronunciation / This is supposed to help my pronunciation - both work

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-10-17, 17:52

dEhiN wrote:Congrats on signing a contract! I don't remember the company name, but I take it they make phone apps?

The company's name is MSG, they do everything from automobile to finances.

Android development is only a small part of it.

"Documentation" would be used in business more for the idea of a manual of some kind: I had to write the documentation for the latest version of this app.

My whole activity was one bigger project, so it can be called a documentation.

In German we also called it "Dokumentation".

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-10-17, 18:23

Levike wrote:
dEhiN wrote:"Documentation" would be used in business more for the idea of a manual of some kind: I had to write the documentation for the latest version of this app.

My whole activity was one bigger project, so it can be called a documentation.

In German we also called it "Dokumentation".

In that case, I would maybe say for your first sentence "...a 25 page long document" and "...are not appreciated in documentation". In English, afaik, we don't pluralize documentation. And I think I've only really ever heard it articles like "the" or "some" or without an article depending on the preposition used. "A documentation" sounds odd to me. But maybe other English speakers are used to it.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-10-17, 19:20

dEhiN wrote:
Levike wrote:*I have no idea how to spell that.

Now you do! I've also seen it spelled as "yippy".

Really? Wiktionary only has <yippee> and <yippie>. I might've seen <yippy> before, but never <yippi>, I'm pretty sure.

Actually, when I saw him write that, I thought he meant how to spell it in German. Apparently in German, it can be spelled <jippie>.
Levike wrote:The company's name is MSG

lol

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”