Expressionism - TAC 2014

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Expressionism
Expressionism - TAC 2014

Postby Expressionism » 2014-02-20, 15:58

I've decided to attempt this challenge, even though I'm already over a month late to begin with. :rotfl:

[flag=]ru[/flag] I've wanted to learn Russian for some time now and I want to finally do it this year. I know some of the very basics, like reading the alphabet, but that's pretty much just it. I don't know how much I'm going to accomplish with this.

[flag=]fr[/flag] At one point, I was nearly fluent in French. These days, I can understand it (especially if it's written) but not so much speak it or write it myself. I'm a bit disappointed in that and I want to make it less rusty. I've been considering joining some conversation classes so I'll get more of a chance to practice.

[flag=]it[/flag] I can understand Italian well, but my writing and speaking are a bit basic, I think, and could use improvement. I want to become fluent in Italian eventually and this is a good chance as any to start working on that.

I might add more languages soon, but these are the major ones I definitely want to work with, beyond the ones I already study/practice on a regular basis. :)

ceid donn

Re: Expressionism - TAC 2014

Postby ceid donn » 2014-02-20, 18:26

Don't worry about starting "late". :)

Expressionism wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] At one point, I was nearly fluent in French. These days, I can understand it (especially if it's written) but not so much speak it or write it myself. I'm a bit disappointed in that and I want to make it less rusty. I've been considering joining some conversation classes so I'll get more of a chance to practice.

I'm in a similar situation too, although the gap between my "peak" French and now is probably longer for me than for you (I'm assuming you, like the vast majority fof Unilangers, are much younger than myself :wink: ). I was able to maintain my French for some time at a moderately decent level by speaking with French speakers regulalry--although I didn't attend a French conversation group, I had a lot of interactions with the French community in the city where I used to live. But over a decade ago I moved to a city where I have yet to run into a singular native French speaker so far. So needless to say, even though I can pretty much still read real-world French at a modestly proficient level, my overall French ability has detoriated a lot without having regular speaking practice.

I don't have lot advice to give you besides just don't give up. I have in the past looked for converation groups, but I can't find anything that works for me with my time zone and weekly schedule (and that's free). So I hope you have better luck than I did! In lieu of speaking practice, French music seems to help me a lot--I really like Raphaël and find his lyrics are very good for reviewing French (I also really like Zaz and Mikael Miro). Also listening streaming online French radio. The other thing I have found helpful is studying another language using a lot of French resources--in my case, Breton and to a lesser extent, Occitan.

Bon courage! :D

Expressionism

Re: Expressionism - TAC 2014

Postby Expressionism » 2015-03-31, 18:21

^ Thank you for the encouragement! I'm in a similar situation, I have a schedule that makes it harder to find lessons or conversation groups. Your advice was really helpful, I'll try to look for some interesting radio stations and podcasts and see if I can find some more music to listen to.

I'm sorry that I never replied. I more or less forgot about this site and the challenge because of other things going on in my life. I think I'd be able to participate again this year but I'm not so sure. :para:

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”