TAC 2014 - xivrox

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Патрислав Андреевич
TAC 2014 - xivrox

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2014-01-06, 23:45

Since TAC is not a contest anymore but a fun way of challenging yourself, I’ve decided to give it a go. I haven’t touched any of my languages--besides English and Serbian--in ages, because of my personal issues. Unfortunately, they aren’t solved yet, so I might disappear for some time again or post less often, etc. But who cares! At least I’m planning to continue working on my languages again!

As for the choice of languages for this year... I don’t know yet. :silly: Well, there are the big languages that I’ll be studying for sure: [flag=]sr[/flag] српски, [flag=]de[/flag] Deutsch, and [flag=]es[/flag] español.

Then, there are languages I’ve been studying for some time (with crappy results) and would love to continue: [flag=]ar[/flag] العربية, [flag=]ru[/flag] русский, [flag=]sk[/flag] slovenský, [flag=]yua[/flag] maaya t’aan, and [flag=]hu[/flag] magyar. The classical languages: [flag=]la[/flag] latina, and [flag=]cu[/flag] словѣньскъ ѩзъікъ.

And my newest pearl: [flag=]hsb[/flag] hornjoserbski. :wink:

Which ones of those will I study besides the Big Three of Serbian-German-Spanish? I don’t know yet! Only time will show... Obviously, I would love to study them all, but I must make choices... In the beginning I will focus only on the Big Three.

Uh, so many flags. I should really make up my mind.

PiotrR

Re: TAC 2014 - xivrox

Postby PiotrR » 2014-01-06, 23:58

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
Last edited by PiotrR on 2014-04-01, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

Патрислав Андреевич

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2014-01-25, 18:15

Well, seems like I’ll be doing Chinese instead. :lol: It’s unexpected even for me, but I couldn’t resist! The Hanzi look so pretty! :blush: So the status of my languages is as follows:

Serbian (sr)
I have a personal thread dedicated to Serbian, where I post my progress and exercises that are then checked by kibo (thank you!) A quick summary... I want to check how advanced I am. I’ve got two books which are divided into levels from A1-C2 with texts and exercises, and I’m currently doing the easy exercises from the A1 chapter. There’s also another book containing the list of skills I need to obtain for each advancement level, so I need to check that too.

German (de) Spanish (es)
Not much going on there, which is a shame. :oops: I need to return to my Duolingo schedule and try to get at least 50 points in each of these languages everyday. I just need motivation. :silly: Meanwhile, I’m doing German at school, so I’m not left without practice. :wink:

Mandarin Chinese (zh)
My newest addition. We’ll see whether it’ll be a serious language or just another wanderlust... Anyway, I’m using Teach Yourself Mandarin Chinese, and I’ve just finished the third chapter of it. The beginnings are quite easy, but I’m sure the difficulties will start later. I have a dedicated thread for it as well.

Russian (ru) Slovak (sk)
I do something with them from time to time, but I wouldn’t call it serious studying yet, unfortunately. I would like to tackle Russian more though in the near future.

Standard Arabic (ar) Upper Sorbian (hsb)
On hold for now. Will return to them later.

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2014-02-17, 13:06

What a pity you put Arabic on hold...
Native: [flag=]pl[/flag] Very advanced/near native: [flag=]en-US[/flag]
Intermediate: [flag=]es[/flag]
Beginner [flag=]de[/flag], [flag=]sgn[/flag], [flag=]tpi[/flag], [flag=]en_old[/flag], [flag=]ar[/flag]
Wanderlusting: [flag=]ja[/flag], [flag=]ru[/flag]
Artificial languages: [flag=]art-qya[/flag], [flag=]art-sjn[/flag],
My interest has been drawn by: [flag=]fa[/flag], [flag=]zh[/flag],

Патрислав Андреевич

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2014-02-18, 12:40

Zireael wrote:What a pity you put Arabic on hold...

It is indeed... I really liked it. But I promised myself I’d return to it one day, so I will! :) But for now 5 languages (6 with English) are more than enough.. Ah, how I wish I had more time, resources, and motivation to study more.. :roll:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-02-20, 7:09

Yeah, I'm putting Arabic on hold, too - probably even longer than you are! I'd really like to practice my Arabic with somebody who's fluent in Syrian Arabic, or at least some Levantine variety (so basically, Syrian/Jordanian/Palestinian/Lebanese). If neither of those is an option, I practically insist on learning it with somebody who's at least learning a Levantine variety of Arabic. Otherwise, I think there's just way too much on my linguistic plate for me to be doing Arabic now. :P

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”