księżyc - TAC 2014-15

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Koko
Re: księżyc - TAC 2014

Postby Koko » 2014-09-20, 18:50

księżycowy wrote:Yet another informative post, Vijay! 8-)

vijayjohn wrote:Ooh, maybe we can do Cree! (I'm learning Michif anyway, which mostly means that I'm learning Cree (Plains Cree, I think) :P). Or Quechua. :lol:

Looking for a study buddy?

Omg! Cree!

I was totally going to do that for my coming TAC. (I'd start my first now, but it's so late I might as well just wait for the next year's). If you and vijay aren't already study buddies, mind waiting for next year?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-09-20, 20:54

Hmm...well, to be honest, I'm not sure whether I'll do Cree or not. But I've already started learning Michif, and Michif is basically a mixture of Cree and French. :P I'm sure I'll continue doing that well into next year, so hopefully, that'll help. :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-09-20, 21:51

Yeah, unfortunately I'm not learning any NAILs at the moment. And even when I do, I'll probably start with an Iroquoian language.

I'd say that Cree is still on the list, but with my recent acquisition of Innu-Aimun materials I'd probably do that one. Only question yet to be answered is: before Cree or instead of Cree?

I'm happy to help in anyway I can regardless. :yep:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-09-21, 19:05

Day late and a dollar short, but I just posted a section of the Greek text I translated. Now it's on to Hebrew for the rest of the week.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2014-09-22, 16:43

księżycowy wrote:And even when I do, I'll probably start with an Iroquoian language.

Where are you going to find resources for the Iroquoian languages? You know it's a shame that here, in Toronto, the NCCT (Native Canadian Centre of Toronto) only offers Ojibwe and Cree, and know Iroquoian language.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-09-22, 17:26

I already have some things for Cayuga, Oneida and Mohawk. I have links to most of the stuff (if not all of it) in the resource thread in the NAIL forum.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2014-09-22, 17:48

ありがとう!
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-09-22, 21:51

De rien. :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-10-03, 14:33

Update:

God, I suck at keeping up with the Hebrew lately. :( I've got to get on top of that before it slips away.

And I've been lazy with the French again. But I have started using Duolingo again as a supplementary resource. I'll pick up Assimil on lesson 12, after reviewing 11 of course. I'm also going to keep constructing my Anki deck. I'll catch up to the lesson I'm on one of these days. :P

The only one I've had good news for is Greek. But then again other matters got in the way a bit again. Moving on.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-10-16, 23:12

Update time!

FR
I haven't moved on yet, I'm getting my Anki deck caught up to where I am first. And it is a bit of a project, I have to try my best not to make duplicate cards. :lol:

Assimil 11/113

HE
Instead of translating anything this week (yes, if you're keeping track I lost a week), I'm going to go through a lesson in my textbook. I've made it through about 1/3 of it. It is a bit slow going with all the verb charts in all the different binyanim. I have a feeling the rest of the book will be similar.

Kelley 168/373

GRC
Next week.
Mounce 166/338

I have to admit I really have the hankering to add another language. Irish, Cayuga, and German are quite bothersome in particular. Don't know if I will, but it's fun to dream anyway. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-12, 13:37

Argh, guys, stop reminding me that 2015 is so close. :lol:

I need to pick up some slack and get back on track here. And I suppose I need to decide on my languages and goals for next year soon.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2014-11-12, 19:03

Did you have goals for this year? I thought you were just going through each resource to get as far as possible?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-12, 20:51

Yeah, that was basically my "plan" for this year. But I'm thinking I'll need to revise a bit, as I keep dropping off.

I've been tossing around the idea of getting Netflix (or similar) so I can get some French DVDs/blurays to watch. Still, I feel that might not be enough. :hmm:

With Japanese it's so easy because I usually watch something on Crunchyroll almost everyday. Too bad I'm not studying it yet. (Maybe I should :lol: ) I just need to search around and find something that captivates me as much in French.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-12, 23:31

I dunno, I have Netflix, but I find it of limited use. Maybe that's just because I don't watch many movies and it's actually my dad's account, so he can see for himself what I saw if he wants to. :lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-12, 23:57

Yeah, I'm certainly not saying Netflix will save the day. But there are a few French TV shows that I've heard about (one of which I watched a few months back in fact) that I wouldn't mind checking out. I'm not much of a movie person, but I do watch those too on occasion.

[Though I could just as easily save some money, and just look *ahem* else where for them. :whistle: ]

Or I could start diving into one of the easier books I have lying around. Choices, choices.

I don't know, I'll figure something out.

For Greek and Hebrew I'm just going to have to power through, but those two are easier because it's just reading. It might take me an hour to get through a few sentences, but who's timing me? :lol:

Meera

Postby Meera » 2014-11-18, 1:06

Netflix has tons of French movies.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

księżycowy

Re: księżyc - TAC 2014-15

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-18, 22:24

Thanks for letting me know Meera! :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-21, 22:15

Update!

FR
Assimil 12/113

HE
Kelley 172/373 (I'll finish this chapter yet.)

I've also figured a bit out for next years TAC, more on that later.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-25, 19:41

Ok, the game plan for the rest of 2014, and for 2015:

Continue with and (God willing) complete Assimil French. I hope to be around half way by the end of December. My plan is to stick as close to one lesson a day as possible (so, no change there), but if needed I'll take breaks. I'm not finding too hard at the moment to stick to one lesson daily, but then again, I thought that before. Anyway, breaks aren't a bad thing, I just have to be careful not to let them go too long.

I will say this much, my reading skill with French continues to improve! :D that's the most important skill for me right now. I don't plan on needing to speak French anytime soon, but I wouldn't pass it up if the opportunity did arise. That being said, I do want to work on my speaking and listening comprehension. I'm thinking every 7 lessons I'll take a break from doing a new lessons, and I'll review the past few lessons with a focus on listening comprehension and getting some good speaking practice (I'll sync this up with the review lessons). I also have two books on French pronunciation (not that I find it terribly difficult, but a little extra practice never hurts), so I'll use those then as well.

For my Biblical languages, I'll keep the same pace. One every other week for a full week. I'll also alternate one week on a lesson in the textbook, and the next week I'll read some text. So it'll look something like this:
Week 1: Greek - textbook lesson
Week 2: Hebrew - textbook lesson
Week 3: Greek - Reading (John 4:1-15)*
Week 4: Hebrew - Reading (1 Kings 18:17-24)

Those are just examples of course, the exact length of the readings and where they come from are TBA. (Well actually, I'll stick with the ones I've already started, but the length will still vary)
I think this is a good plan, that way it keeps things interesting. It also allows me to finish my textbooks for Greek and Hebrew.

As I am anticipating finishing my French textbook, and thus taking a break from active study. So, I will most likely be starting a new language as well. I haven't quite decided yet, but German, Polish, Irish, and Japanese are the lucky candidates. But I have at least two more months (probably closer to three) before I have to decide. And even then it's not like I have to start one right away after taking a break from French.

There is also the off chance that I feel I've gotten a good deal done with Hebrew and/or Greek and would feel ready to tackle another ancient/classical language. Latin and Classical Arabic are my choices there. (I'm considering Aramaic an off shoot of Hebrew, which I'll get too in good time.)

More to come.

EDIT: Shit, I totally for got to talk about Cayuga. Whoops. :lol:

I've decided that it's time to put up or shut up in regards to the NAIL subforum. So it's Cayuga or bust!

I'll incorporate Cayuga into my TAC for next year, somehow. Probably doing about a lesson a week or something like that. I haven't figured out all the details, but I'm not starting it for a month or two.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-30, 15:34

Once again, it's time to update.

FR
Assimil 17/113

HE
Kelley 181/373

This week's goals:
GRC
Pick up the reading from 1 John 1:5 and go as far as possible. Post my work in my ACEL thread by Saturday.(No textbook lesson this week, I decided to alternate yet again, just to keep things fresh.)

FR
At least 22/113.

CAY
If time allows, start on the spelling/pronunciation section and lesson 3.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”