TAC 2014 - ceid donn

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

ceid donn
Re: TAC 2014 - ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2014-03-08, 17:51

The GV files are good for what they were designed for: to improve listening skills & drill important basic vocabulary. I find them very helpful for that. Note that if you start with any available language you can pair it up with any another but if you want more intensive audio training/immersion you can download files with only your target language. And the audio files are free. So it's a nice supplement. I just wish they had more minority and African languages. They have added more South Asian languages recently but I keep hoping they'll add Arabic dialects, Swahili, Hausa, Irish, Welsh....Occitan. :twisted: (Also Cantonese would be nice.)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-03-08, 18:01

Yeah, I wish they'd add a few too. I was pleasantly suprised to see quite a few odd ball ones I'm interested it, but they still lack a few I'd like to see (Irish, Armenian,and Pashto to name a few). Oh well, it's still a good supplement for the languages they have I figure. :wink:

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2014-03-08, 18:15

They are still working to get native speakers for some of the recently added languages like Catalan and Tamil. Hopefully files for those will be available soon. But I was really surprised to see them add Catalan. Maybe they will start adding more languages like that.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-03-08, 18:16

Certainly something to look forward to. :D

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2014-03-08, 18:40

I confess also if I am wanderlusting a bit, it's a nice way to dabble a little without committing too much. :lol: Just listen to some files, pick up a few words, just enough to satisfy the itch. I've certainly done that there with Finnish, Hindu, Korean, Estonian, Greek, Turkish... :P

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2014-03-09, 17:56

EDIT: Nevermind. I figured out. I had figured it might have to with some preference setting, but the Anki site wasn't clear about that (I found a video that explains this).

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2014-03-14, 2:52

EDIT 3/24/14: I'm editing my last post in this thread instead of adding a new post so this thread doesn't go the top of the forum list.

I am leaving Unilang, so suffice to say, my TAC is over. Aside from the help I've gotten from Zviezda with Breton, there really hasn't been anything for me here for a very long time and frankly, most of the active users nowadays are just not people I want to deal with anymore. I've left and come back a few times over the years, hoping things here would improve, that a better, more engaging community would evolve here, but that has never happened. So I think it's time for me to leave for good this time.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”