TAC 2013 - Electrophants - KO, JA, DE

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Electrophants
TAC 2013 - Electrophants - KO, JA, DE

Postby Electrophants » 2013-02-03, 20:52

I said I wasn't going to do one this year.
I was wrong.

[flag=]fr[/flag]
I expected French to be my sole focus for most of the year. As I mentioned in my previous thread, I'm in Paris for the semester (and possibly the summer as well), living with a host mother, and taking all of my classes in French. My goal is to be fluent in French by the end of the semester. Bold text because I'm quite serious about that. By the end of my semester, I want to be able to comfortably watch French movies, chat it up with French college students... Just basically be able to live my English life in French. I'm not really expecting comprehension to be a huge hurdle - mine is already pretty decent, to the point where I can read novels fairly comfortably and where I understood all of my phonetics lecture on Friday. Improving my speaking will be the challenging part.

[flag=]ko[/flag]
Then along came Korean. I took my first semester in the fall (before I decided I'd be going abroad), but I didn't think I would be taking it in Paris. First off, my program told me that Korean class wouldn't be available. Second, they warned me that if my French wasn't at a high enough level, they would discourage taking two languages at once. And third, it just doesn't really make sense. But then I found out that classes actually are available. And then I placed into my program's highest level French class, AND people in lower level classes than me were signed up for multiple languages. And I've never really made sense to begin with. So with that, I'm continuing Korean in France.

The grammar is really similar to Japanese, so I've been able to pick it up quite quickly. For perspective, I've only taken one semester of Korean at my university, but I have independently covered all of the grammar up to my school's third-year (fifth-semester) class. Japanese also helps me a ton with Sino-Korean vocabulary. My pure Korean vocabulary is still quite lacking though - even though my grammar might be at a third-year level, my vocabulary is only at a first-semester level.

When I hear Korean spoken on the streets (which surprisingly happens to me pretty much daily here in Paris), it just really drives me crazy that I can't understand it or jump in the conversation the way I could if it were Japanese being spoken. In a sense, my goal is to lift up my Korean to the level of my Japanese. I know it's incredibly unrealistic to expect to get my Korean to the same level in such a short amount of time, but maybe I'll settle for somewhere around a B1.

[flag=]ja[/flag]
I'd been planning to keep Japanese on the back-burner until the fall. But then on Friday I discovered that I somehow passed the JLPT N2, and now my flames of Japanese passion are burning more intensely than ever! My goals for Japanese are probably my most clearly defined: FINALLY finish learning all the Jouyou kanji, and pass the JLPT N1 in December!
*If I'm in Tokyo in July (my other summer possibility) I'll take it then.

I'll try to update more frequently this year - I feel like it's more fun that way! :partyhat:
(Wrote this in a rush - will be back later to edit.)
Last edited by Electrophants on 2013-12-22, 3:11, edited 4 times in total.

Electrophants

Re: TAC 2013 - Electrophants - FR, JA, KO

Postby Electrophants » 2013-02-18, 23:37

I know I said I was going to update more frequently this time, but honestly, up until this previous week there really hasn't been much to say. I think I'd benefit from a more structured plan of attack.

[flag=]ko[/flag]
To start, I guess part of the reason that I felt that I haven't had much to talk about is that Korean is the only language I'm studying formally this semester - I'm taking Korean classes, whereas my French and Japanese are kind of a free-for-all. With regards to my Korean classes... they suck. I'm used to having class every day, but with the way the system works here, I'm only taking two a week: Fundamental Grammar on Tuesdays and Oral Exercises on Wednesdays. The grammar class is an enormous lecture of 220+ students, and the one oral exercise class that I've been to so far (it was cancelled the past two weeks) ironically involved no conversation. As a result, I haven't gotten to speak Korean at all, and I don't feel like I'm making any progress. I imagined from the start that most of my Korean progress would have to be self-driven anyway, but it's hard to find time to seriously devote myself to studying Korean, and I'd also feel bad that I came all the way to France just to spend all my time locked in my room with my Korean books. We'll see how things go.

[flag=]ja[/flag] & [flag=]fr[/flag]
Last Monday I discovered the most wonderful thing ever: A JAPANESE BOOKSTORE!!!! I bought Murakami Haruki's 1Q84- I already had the whole book on PDF, but I wanted a more portable version. As recommended by my former Japanese tutor, I also bought the French version, and I'm currently going through them simultaneously. Today I returned to the bookstore to buy JLPT N1 review books (the kanji and reading comprehension books of the Nihongo So-Matome series - I'll probably also be buying the grammar one at some point). I'm now definitely trying to spend the summer in Tokyo, which means that if all goes well, I'll be taking the test in July - I'm starting my studying tonight. In other news, last Tuesday I made one of the best decisions in my life and finally cleared out my iPhone. I cut down my music to about 100 songs, which, after wanting this for ages, finally left me with enough space for my foreign language podcasts and audiobooks!! My commutes are SO MUCH FUN now!!! I have the choice of 1Q84 in two languages, various lovely podcasts, the French audiobook for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire... it's fantastic!

I'm not speaking French nearly as much as I'd like to be. Part of the reason is because I have yet to make French friends since my classes keep. getting. cancelled. (I don't even want to go into what a nightmare that's been.) But another reason is that I've been guilty of using Japanese when I should use French... For example, when I'm lost, instead of asking a French person for directions, I'll ask Japanese tourists. I tend to gravitate towards Japanese restaurants, where I proceed to order in Japanese. I know that I'm here to perfect my French, but I keep gravitating towards Japanese because it's the language in which I'm more comfortable. Or at least, was more comfortable. For the first time in ages, I've found myself more readily able to think in French than in Japanese, and when I have Japanese conversations in my head, they quickly switch to French. When I do speak Japanese, I notice how rusty I've gotten. I want to find get a conversation partner and restrict my Japanese speaking to a regularly scheduled weekly session, or something along those lines. My old Japanese tutor happens to have a friend who's also in Paris this semester, so I'm hoping I'll be able to meet up with him soon.
Last edited by Electrophants on 2013-12-22, 3:12, edited 1 time in total.

Electrophants

Postby Electrophants » 2013-02-28, 0:23

This entry is going to be less about progress (as I haven't made much), and more about my plan for going forward.

[flag=]fr[/flag]
One thing I forgot to mention last time is that I started reading 1Q84 after having finished Aventures d'Alice au pays des merveilles, so there's that too.

My classes seem to be stabilizing (read: not getting cancelled/moved to unlocatable rooms with no prior notice), and with that, hopefully, comes the chance to make French friends. The other kids in most of my classes seem to be nice, and this week I got a lot of compliments on my French from them. Apparently today one girl couldn't tell I was foreign? (Admittedly, recently I have been feeling like my French level has gotten a bit better, and all the compliments have been a nice ego boost.) The only downside is that there are virtually no other guys in all of my classes.

I keep forgetting that I have this lovely grammar workbook. I'm going to try to make use of it on a regular basis and hopefully work my way through all of it.

I'm considering signing up for the individual practice sessions that my study abroad program offers, but I'm a bit hesitant. The vibe I've been getting from them is Yes, we'll help you improve your French if you need it, but you don't really need it, do you?

[flag=]ja[/flag]
Finished the second chapter of 1Q84! My plan has been to read each chapter in Japanese first and then in French. It kind of depresses me how much faster the French reading goes... I'm moving at a snail's pace, but at least I'm moving.

Plans have been made to hang out with my tutor's friend! Looking forward to it!

JLPT review... has yet to start. But in my defense, it's because all of my free time has been spent working on my application to go to Tokyo, so there.

[flag=]ko[/flag]
The biggest thing I need to do right now for my Korean? Lang-8, Lang-8, Lang-8.
This really applies to all of my languages (I need to be writing more/at all), but especially so for Korean. As I mentioned previously, I've already learned a lot of grammar, and now it's just a matter of internalizing everything so that I reach the point where I can produce it spontaneously. I tend to get hung up on the fact that I get next to no speaking practice here, but I've come to the realization that it's just as important to work on my reading (stumbled through a newspaper article the other day, and it didn't go half bad), listening (and I have been listening to Talk to Me in Korean on the regular), and writing. Possibly even more important, since my school's Korean placement test doesn't cover speaking.

Since the two languages are so similar, I'm also really trying to make use of my Japanese as a tool to learn Korean. I'm planning on going back through some of my old Japanese essays and trying to translate them into Korean- both because it will be good writing practice for me, and because it will help me pinpoint gaps in my knowledge. Another lovely thing is that my JLPT review books include Korean translations (as well as Chinese and English) for all of the sample sentences and kanji compounds. So I can seriously kill two birds with one stone. Keeping in mind that this is the N1 I'm studying for, I can probably learn some pretty sophisticated vocabulary (which will probably look hilarious when juxtaposed with my lack of basic vocabulary - I still don't know any colors, but I do know the words for "drug addiction" and "satellite broadcasting").

I have also become inexplicably addicted to this song. Almost dangerously so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqRL2wLB7B4
Last edited by Electrophants on 2013-12-22, 3:13, edited 1 time in total.

Electrophants

Postby Electrophants » 2013-03-26, 1:39

I'll post a proper post soon. For now, I just want to briefly update you on what has been the biggest task on my TAC plate.

[flag=]ja[/flag]
So after my Japanese class ended last April, I kind of let my Anki deck go to hell. I did essentially no reviews until last month. When I'd been keeping up with my deck, I'd usually have 20 reviews or so to do each day. When I opened the deck up again in February, I had over 800 waiting for me. I've been at war with it since then. I managed to knock it down to about 300 after my first go, but sometimes I miss a few days and that number resurges; right now it fluctuates between about 250-400. I'm trying to get it back under control ASAP, because I can't really start adding new JLPT vocab until my deck is back to a usable state.

I apologize for my ご無沙汰, but you'll hear from me again after I've conquered it once and for all! And I do have exciting updates, so stay tuned!
Last edited by Electrophants on 2013-12-22, 3:14, edited 1 time in total.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-03-26, 2:11

This is a great thread! I havent started Korean but I have always been interested in it. I'm really enjoying reading your updates. Keep up the good work. :mrgreen:
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Electrophants

Postby Electrophants » 2013-03-29, 3:06

Meera wrote:This is a great thread! I havent started Korean but I have always been interested in it. I'm really enjoying reading your updates. Keep up the good work. :mrgreen:

Aww, thanks so much! :blush:

[flag=]ko[/flag]
I've decided to put Korean on the back-burner for a little bit. My classes here are a total joke, and I really want to focus on my French as much as possible while I'm in France. (I would be pausing my Japanese too, if it weren't for the fact that I've got a limited amount of time before the JLPT.) Obviously I'm not completely halting my studies; I've still got my classes, I'll still make my 漢字 > 한자 flashcards as I do my JLPT review, and I still like to practice translating Japanese sentences into Korean when I read 1Q84. Once summer rolls around, Korean is going to be by far my main focus; gotta kick things into overdrive for that placement test :twisted: You'll be hearing more about Korean in June - which is surprisingly soon! Where has the time gone?!

[flag=]ja[/flag]
As of Tuesday the Anki deck is back under control, and it feels glorious. This also means that at long last I am able to start my structured JLPT review! I've only started So-Matome's kanji book so far, but I'm hoping to add reading comprehension and grammar to the mix ASAP. I'm only on day 4, but I can already tell that this is going to do absolute wonders for my kanji!! I've also made it through the first five chapters of 1Q84. (I don't know why I chose such a huge book - 160+ pages in and I haven't even made a dent >.> ) I can definitely feel the reading getting a lot easier, which has been really nice. Yeah, really happy with how things are going!

[flag=]fr[/flag]
Ironically enough, I've been having a bit of trouble getting exposure to the target language in the target country. This is a combination of many factors that I'll explain in more detail later, but the main thing is that I still don't really have people to talk to. I'm kind of making friends in class, but I still don't have any French friends that I'd go out with on the weekends. My host mom has suggested that I start asking people directions/questions as I'm walking around (even if I don't really need an answer) - apparently she knows this guy who speaks remarkable French who learned the language by doing just that. My host mom's friend suggests that I frequent a cafe, order a coffee, and just listen to all the conversations. I've been meaning to try out both plans. But I've also found another sort of fix. The other week I discovered this website called Polyglot Club that hosts a "Café polyglotte" event twice weekly. It's basically this language exchange thing where people come, get a name tag indicating what languages they want to practice, and chat away with strangers in various languages. I've only been once so far, and I found it to be okay. I really wanted to practice Japanese and/or Korean, but alas, there were no speakers - French, English, and Arabic (which I don't speak at all) seemed to be the most popular languages when I went. But I did meet this French guy who was organizing a smaller language exchange, and I liked that one (which has also only happened once so far) a lot better! In addition to the two of us we have a couple of Spaniards. I think we're trying to make this a bi-weekly meeting.
And of course, my 1Q84 French reading parallels my Japanese one, so I've read five chapters of that too.

[flag=]es[/flag]
And surprise! I got to practice my Spanish a little bit as well during the language exchange. We did 20 minutes of French, then 20 minutes of English, then 20 minutes of Spanish. I'm super rusty so I mostly listened, but maybe I'll get a nice boost in my speaking abilities by the end of the semester!

I had a pretty definite "no wanderlust" policy going into this TAC, but now I'm not so sure. Germanic languages have been calling me loudly, especially [flag=]de[/flag]. I've been telling myself that I want to "finish up" my current languages before starting a new one, but you're never really finished with a language. Would it really be that bad to try adding another language to the mix? Might it even be better to start as many as possible while I'm still young?
Last edited by Electrophants on 2013-12-22, 3:15, edited 1 time in total.

Electrophants

Postby Electrophants » 2013-04-08, 12:58

[flag=]ko[/flag]
My mom is incredibly freaked out about the North Korea situation, and there is a zero percent chance she will allow me to go to Korea any time in the foreseeable future. She's been paranoid about North Korea for years now and has been very much against the idea of me going there for quite some time now, and now it's a definite no. I hate to admit it, but this has been a huge demotivator for me :( Part of the reason I'd been so excited about Korean was that I was really looking forward into spending a lot of time there after graduation, perhaps doing the EPIK program or something. Now that I am essentially guaranteed to never go to Korea, I have lost so much desire to continue...

[flag=]fr[/flag]
On a much happier note... Last weekend (not this past weekend but the one before that), my friend invited me on a trip to Normandy with her host family. On top of it being an unforgettable weekend in the French countryside, it was also a weekend FULL of French. Since we spent all of our time with her host family and their friends, I got to speak so. much. French. Hands down my best weekend so far this semester.

[flag=]ja[/flag]
Quite unexpectedly, on Thursday I got the chance to meet up with a Japanese guy visiting Paris for about two weeks. We got lunch together and chatted a lot. Plus, he doesn't speak a word of French (or much English for that matter), so I had to play French-Japanese interpreter for a while which was REALLY COOL!! We're going to try to meet up again this week.
I'm also trying to set up some more language exchanges, because A) I think it's a really fun way to meet new people, B) I still need to find someone to practice Japanese with, and C) because I haven't heard from my old exchange group since I posted about it, and I'm going to be busy for the next several Sundays anyway. I sent out a couple of emails, but I have yet to get any responses...

[flag=]de[/flag][flag=]is[/flag][flag=]no[/flag][flag=]sv[/flag] WANDERLUST [flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]no[/flag][flag=]is[/flag][flag=]de[/flag]
Still toying with the idea of adding another language.
Still being tempted by Germanic languages.
I just came back from a weekend in Norway, which only fueled the desire even more. I also just realized that was my first time in a country where I'd never studied the language (or at least one of the languages) before, which was quite the cool experience. Of the Danish-Norwegian-Swedish trio, I haven't decided between Norwegian and Swedish though.
Last edited by Electrophants on 2013-12-22, 3:16, edited 1 time in total.

Electrophants

Postby Electrophants » 2013-04-11, 18:42

[flag=]ko[/flag]
I had a Korean test on Tuesday, and I think it went pretty well. I had zero idea what the format and content of the test was going to be beforehand, because that seems to be the way things work here. It turned out we had to write a letter using certain grammatical structures and translate the whole thing to French. So I was essentially being tested on two foreign languages simultaneously, which was a pretty cool experience. Ironically, I think I made more French errors than Korean ones. :oops:

[flag=]ja[/flag]
As I was studying for said Korean test, I noticed a guy sitting close to me was holding a book with a title that was something along the lines of 「フランス語のガイドブック」. I struck up a conversation with him and asked him if he would be interested in doing a Japanese-English language exchange, and he agreed! I think we're going to start meeting next week.

I also got to meet up with the Japanese guy from my last post twice more this week. We went to this indoor climbing thing together yesterday, and we had lunch together today. He speaks 関西弁, which made comprehension a bit difficult at times, but for the most part we managed well!

WANDERLUST SECTION
[flag=]sv[/flag]
In my Morphology class yesterday, we did this exercise where we had to read this story in Swedish (with the help of a glossary). It was really really fun to see how similar it is to English!
Coincidentally, I have also decided that I'm going to go with Swedish instead of Norwegian. Mind you, I'm almost definitely not going to be starting Swedish anywhere in the near future, but it's nice to have made up my mind.

[flag=]de[/flag]
But speaking of starting other languages I have decided to allow myself to add German to the mix. For starters, it's technically not adding a new language, because I keep forgetting that German is not a new language for me; I actually have a reasonable amount of experience. Granted, I'm super rusty and can no longer produce the language, and my comprehension is still fairly basic, but I'm definitely not a complete beginner.

The other deciding factor was that after my Japanese friend and I parted ways today, I thought to myself, "Wow, it's good that I've been getting to practice my Japanese. I'm gonna leave France having improved both my French and my Japanese!" And then I had a bit of an epiphany. If I want to be a polyglot, I need to practice being a polyglot. That is to say, if I want to be someone who can use lots of languages at once, I need to practice using lots of languages at once. I think that if I actually were to attempt the one-at-a-time method that I tend to shame myself for not using, I would never actually learn what it takes to maintain multiple languages at once.*

Also, even though everyone I met in Norway spoke perfect English, I know that I won't have that luxury for the other countries I'm visiting. I'm planning on brushing up resurrecting at least a little bit of my [flag=]it[/flag] and [flag=]pt-br[/flag], and I think it could be really fun to see how much [flag=]de[/flag] I can learn before my trip to Berlin in two weeks!

This isn't to say that I'm restarting my German studies today; rather, I won't stop myself the next time the urge arises.

And now I'm off to the Café polyglotte!

*Okay, I know about priming and how hyperpolyglots don't actually keep all of their languages active at once. But still, if I want to learn to juggle at least a few, I need to start, well, juggling a few.
Last edited by Electrophants on 2013-12-22, 3:17, edited 1 time in total.

Electrophants

Postby Electrophants » 2013-04-22, 23:32

[flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]ko[/flag]
This entry is going to be a bit brief and a bit strange, as I am going to be discussing my non-TAC languages. For the TAC languages, just know that I'm quickly losing confidence in my French, and my Japanese study has slipped WAY off schedule again. :[

[flag=]de[/flag]
I leave for Berlin on Thursday morning, and German will be my main focus until then! My goal is to finish all of Duolingo's German skill tree before I leave, and so far I'm about halfway there! My prior knowledge has been allowing me to test out of various sections.

Two things that make German particularly fun for me are that 1) my German is completely self-taught, and 2) very few people know I have any German experience - and I'm going to keep it that way! Back when I did Chinese for about two days in my SAC thread, I started (and then abandoned) a blog about learning Chinese in secret. I have decided to do the same thing for German. :twisted:

[flag=]es[/flag]
A friend and I are making two videos in Spanish tomorrow (or later this week), so at the moment I'm "priming" my Spanish.
Last edited by Electrophants on 2013-12-22, 3:18, edited 1 time in total.

Electrophants

Postby Electrophants » 2013-06-03, 21:30

Boy, have I been busy. This is going to be a HUGE update, because there is a LOT that has happened since mid-April.

SPRING BREAK
I did a bunch of traveling over spring break. First destination? Berlin! This was my first time ever speaking [flag=]de[/flag], and things went quite well! I was able to successfully order food (Ich nehme das 29, aber ohne Tomatensauce bitte - the first German sentence I ever spoke to someone), answer follow-up questions, and ask for prices. The best part was that people seemed to think I actually spoke German! No one switched to English on me - whereas with French, a language that I allegedly speak, I get switched on maybe 70% of the time. And ironically enough, I felt more at ease ordering in German than in French. I think my confidence in a language is directly related to how easy I find the pronunciation, and I find German pronunciation infinitely easier than French.

I fell HOPELESSLY IN LOVE with Berlin - so much that I have decided I want to move there ASAP after graduation!! This is not an exaggeration - I am 100% set on this! I'm also considering joining my school's German Club in the fall, and I'm looking into grad school programs in Germany. Which means that I need to improve my German, stat! It's going to be one of my main goals for this summer. Hopefully I'll get that blog I mentioned started soon!

After Berlin (and I was so sad to go!), I returned to Paris for a few days, and then I did some Eurotripping with a bunch of friends! Spain was first on our list - we went to Madrid and then Grenada. Surprisingly enough, even after not having really spoken [flag=]es[/flag] since high school, was able to communicate without a problem! I was afraid that I would have forgotten all of it (and granted, I did forget a bunch), but for the most part it felt like I still had it. And again, I felt more comfortable ordering in Spanish than in French.

Our final city was Lisbon. I thought the little [flag=]pt-br[/flag] I had studied would serve me well, but lol. I couldn't remember anything. I ended up just speaking Spanish or English.

[flag=]ja[/flag]
Back at the start of May, I got confirmation that I will be studying abroad in Tokyo this July!!! I'm unbelievably excited to be going back to Japan! Even though I won't be taking Japanese classes this time around, I'm planning on doing some intense self-study!

The bad(?) news is that I won't be taking the JLPT until December, first, because I got the confirmation that I was going to Tokyo after the sign-up deadline for the July test had passed, second, because I probably wouldn't have been ready. Between my last update and the beginning/middle of May, my Japanese studies had pretty much come to a halt. I only got through the first week of So-Matome's kanji book, and my Anki deck spiraled out of control yet again.

However, a few weeks back my studies resumed with more zeal than ever before, partially in anticipation of my summer abroad, but mostly because I discovered a site that really revolutionized a lot of things for me: japaneselevelup.com. I find JALUP to be incredibly similar to AJATT (in that they both have pretty much the same message and methodology), except that it's done much better. One of my favorite features of the site is the "level guide" - a lot of his approach centers around the idea that learning Japanese is like playing an RPG, and he's come up with a level-up system for tracking your Japanese abilities. According to the test, I would say I'm about level 37. In addition, he's even come up with a solution for the biggest problem I had with RTK (multiple kanji with too-similar keywords), and he addresses the issue of coming into RTK with prior Japanese experience. And he has a lovely explanation of his sentence mining method.

I'm currently working through the JALUP RTK deck. I'm doing 100 kanji a day (which is not as arduous as it sounds, giving I went into the deck already knowing about 1500 kanji), so I should be done in a few days. Reading through JALUP and his description about how he uses his Anki deck has made me reconsider the way I use Anki and what it is that I want my deck(s) to accomplish. I've come to the conclusion that my original Anki deck is not meeting my needs, so it's been put on hiatus until further notice.

Since RTK only teaches kanji meanings, once I'm done, I'm hoping to use Kanji in Context as a supplement to memorize the kanji readings. I've also discovered this wonderful resource called the Japanese Core 6000, which is a collection of 6000 sample sentences using the 6000 most frequently used Japanese words. I'm hoping to start working through them soon.

As for a quick 1Q84 update, I'm on page 300, which leaves me with a little less than two chapters left of the first book. On one hand, I feel kind of silly that it's taking me more than a semester to read this book. But on the other hand, I'm pretty damn proud.

[flag=]fr[/flag]
They say that you should only list a language as "fluent" on your resume if you can interview in that language; a few weeks ago I interviewed in French. Though I definitely am far from calling myself fluent in French, it does feel nice to know that I have two foreign languages that I'm relatively functional in. Going back to the Japanese Level Up thing, I feel like I have these two superpowers!

My semester in France came to an end on Wednesday. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed by the little progress my French made. In terms of speaking ability, my French was incredibly rusty before coming to Paris - obviously that's no longer the case, and I have definitely gotten over the sort of fear of French I had before, but beyond that, I can't say that I've felt any vast improvement. I can tell my written French has gotten better though. In the last French conversation class I took, even my short homework assignments would come back to me marked up with corrections galore. But when I had my study abroad program proofread one of my final assignments (which was a few pages long), it came back to me almost untouched. On the whole though, I really wish my French had progressed more (I wanted fluency!!), and I'm not thrilled about that.

I think I've decided to change the focus of my French studies from here on out. When I think about what disappoints me with my French skills, the main things are that I can't understand French movies without subtitles, or that I don't understand the people that I hear on the street. I've come to realize, though, that these are all goals revolving around comprehension. So going forward, my goal is going to be to have fluent comprehension, and worry about speaking in the future if I feel so inclined. As I hinted at briefly last post, I've gotten quite discouraged with my French speaking abilities, and I get the impression that I might never be able to speak it fluently, but I think fluent comprehension might be a more obtainable goal. Plus, while I don't see many opportunities for speaking practice in my near future, I figure that my comprehension abilities will be easier to maintain. And if I do decide later on that I want to work on my speaking, comprehension fluency is necessary for speaking fluency anyway.

My French 1Q84 reading is currently lagging a few chapters behind my Japanese one.

[flag=]ko[/flag]
Basically nothing to report, because my Korean has been virtually untouched this semester. My classes were pathetic, because they were conducted entirely in French, and there was literally no speaking practice or homework involved. I went to ask one of my professors a question in April, and when she responded to me in Korean, I was weirded out because all of our interactions up to then had been in French. Yet despite all this, somehow I've gotten better at spontaneously producing the aforementioned second-year grammatical structures. Now that I'm on summer vacation, I can't wait to seriously resume my studies.

SUMMER 2013 (SAC) [flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]ko[/flag][flag=]de[/flag]
You might have noticed that I have a bit of a problem: there are three languages I have pledged my utmost devotion to this summer XP I'm going to be in Japan, so I obviously need to use that time to improve my Japanese as much as possible. But I also need to beef up my Korean considerably before the start of the school year! But if I'm going to be moving to Berlin or going to grad school in Germany or trying to join the German Club, I need to work on my German too! CONFLICT! Once again it looks like I'll be juggling more than I want to be :para: We'll see how this goes.

In other news, June's Tadoku Challenge started on Saturday! I'm entering with Japanese, Korean, and German, but I messed up my registration and am only signed up for the last two.
Last edited by Electrophants on 2013-12-22, 3:20, edited 2 times in total.

Electrophants

Re: TAC 2013 - Electrophants - KO, JA, DE

Postby Electrophants » 2013-06-14, 6:24

I've been back in the States for a bit more than a week now, so I figured I should make an update about my progress.
For starters, I've come to terms with the fact that I can't give three different languages 100% of my time each, so I've come up with a bit of a batting order. Korean is my main priority this summer, followed by Japanese, and any remaining time I have will go to German.

[flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]de[/flag]
I started my first full day back in the States with a bang! I woke up at 5:30 in the morning because of jet lag, and instead of going back to sleep, I went to Duolingo and knocked out a bunch of German lessons. That same day I FINALLY finished the 前編 of 1Q84 Book 1.
Unfortunately, since that day I haven't really done anything in either language, because I've gone Korean-crazy!

[flag=]ko[/flag]
I've been using a bunch of new Korean resources!

Sogang 1B Textbook
My class in the fall used the 1A textbook, and I was already in possession of the 2A and 2B books, so this new book is nicely filling a gap. Currently working my way through it.

韓国語組立てタウン App
You'll notice that one of the themes of this post is using Japanese to help me learn Korean. I bought this app for $0.99, and I'm quite happy with it. It's definitely far from perfect, and I don't want to spend time going into detail about its flaws, but for the price I think it's definitely worth it. Basically it works like this: First, you choose a grammatical point you want to study. The app gives you a Japanese sentence, and a timer starts counting down three seconds. Once the first timer has counted down, a mixed up Korean sentence will appear, and you have a few more seconds to put the words in the right order to create the translation of the Japanese sentence. My favorite features?
-You have a table of contents of over 100 Korean grammar points and their Japanese equivalents. This is especially helpful for me, because I *always* find myself wondering, "How do you say [insert Japanese grammatical pattern] in Korean?"
-Voice recordings of every. single. sample. sentence. And there's a LOT of sentences in this app.
-You can save your favorite sentences to a clipboard/checklist thing!

Naver Dictionary App
WHAT?? THIS EXISTS?? THIS IS ALL I'VE EVER WANTED!! You guys, this app... I cannot rave about it enough. Japanese-Korean/Korean-Japanese dictionary with bajillions of sample sentences, PLUS voice recordings.
If you have an iPhone, get this NOW.

Talk To Me In Korean
Okay, so I've actually been using them for ages, but I am just consistently blown away by what a truly remarkable resource they are. If I weren't falling asleep right now, I could swoon over TTMIK for hours.

I've been in a bit of a Korean frenzy lately. This was triggered by a silly little freak-out I had the other day when I tried to read my Korean Harry Potter, understood very little of it, and concluded that that must have meant I knew no Korean. Since then I've been studying it a lot, and I guess it must be paying off! I was listening to some Iyagi episodes (TTMIK's 100% Korean series) today, and I was surprised to find that instead of understanding a few things every now and then, I was understanding the vast majority of the podcast. I don't know how this happened so suddenly, but it has me *really* excited to keep things up! 갈수록 쉬워질 것 같아요!

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention that my reading aloud speed has also dramatically increased!
Last edited by Electrophants on 2013-12-22, 3:21, edited 1 time in total.

Electrophants

Postby Electrophants » 2013-06-23, 6:07

[flag=]ko[/flag]
I discovered this tool called Learning With Texts that I like. If you're familiar with LingQ, it basically sets up a free version of LingQ on your computer. I haven't gotten to test it out that much yet, but it seems pretty cool.

But most importantly, on Thursday I finished the Sogang 1B textbook and workbook, and I am now working my way through the 2A set! I did most of 1B (i.e. all but one chapter) in a three-day Korean spree, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel pretty burned out afterwards. But I'm determined to keep powering through :? I do NOT want to have to bring my textbooks and workbooks to Japan with me, which gives me until next Monday to finish them. I'm relatively confident I could finish them in time, but I'm not so sure I can finish them without hating myself by the end. We'll see how things go.

My plan is to take the placement test as soon as it opens on August 1st, and to then switch my focus to speaking practice until it's time for my interview in late August.

Also, I have to give myself props for managing to balance Korean and Animal Crossing. That takes serious dedication.
Last edited by Electrophants on 2013-12-22, 3:21, edited 1 time in total.

Electrophants

Postby Electrophants » 2013-07-07, 14:18

[flag=]ja[/flag]
I am in Tokyo!
Last edited by Electrophants on 2013-12-22, 3:22, edited 1 time in total.

Electrophants

Postby Electrophants » 2013-12-22, 3:10

Gosh, I am way overdue for an update. It looks like people are starting up their TAC 2014 threads, but I want to wrap up this one first. I've got a crazy semester to talk about, and a great summer before that.

SUMMER in [flag=]ja[/flag]
I apologize for that lackluster update in July. The only excuse I can offer was that I was having too much fun! My five weeks in Tokyo were INCREDIBLE, but I feel like that's almost a given - I don't think it's possible for me to go to Japan and not have a good time.

When I landed back in the States after my semester in Paris, I thought, "At last! A country where I can speak the language!" And when I arrived in Japan, I had the same thought. My visit this summer was great for refreshing my speaking skills after having taken a break from Japanese classes last year. I lived with a FANTASTIC host family, which had the added benefit of extra conversation practice at home. None of the other students in my class spoke Japanese, so I often had to play interpreter - I was grateful for the practice.

I was taking a class on anime and manga, so naturally I ended up reading a lot of manga in my free time. In particular, I got hooked on this one series called 宇宙兄弟. Funny story about how that started: I spotted its holographic cover at a bookstore one day, and I remembered JALUP listing it as an easy-to-read manga. I purchased the first two volumes and was indeed surprised by how easy it was to read. It wasn't until much later that I went back and discovered that JALUP had actually given the series a difficult rating! 達成感!

I also discovered that there is a lot of anime dubbed in French on YouTube, which is great for letting me rediscover some old favorites while getting in some listening practice. [flag=]fr[/flag]

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I bought a bunch of Japanese video games as well! (Pokemon SoulSilver, Dragon Quest, トモダチコレクション)

SEMESTER
So I ended up taking three language classes this semester.

[flag=]ko[/flag] Korean:
If you remember, I was studying Korean like a maniac before I left for Japan - and it paid off! I was able to skip into the 2nd-year class, but I was disappointed by it: I had already worked through the textbooks over the summer, and I was running circles around the other students, who by and large seemed incredibly unmotivated. Realizing that I would rather struggle through a challenging class than cruise through an easy one, I asked to be moved up. After a bit more placement drama, I was ultimately allowed to take the 3rd-year class.

The beginning of the semester was honestly a bit terrifying. I knew this going into the class, but I had a lot of catching up to do. My biggest challenge was speaking. The class was largely conversation based, but seeing as I only had a semester of speaking practice under my belt, speaking was by far my weakest skill. Compare this to my classmates who had ALL spent the summer studying Korea in Seoul. If I wanted to be able to say something in class, I had to look up all the necessary vocab the night before and essentially rehearse everything I might possibly need to say.

However, without me even realizing it, as the semester progressed, I gradually became able to speak more spontaneously without the need for prior preparation. Which is not to say that I can rattle off fluent Korean on any topic under the sun - just that I've expanded my vocabulary, brushed up on my grammar, and gained enough confidence in my speaking that though I may still be choppy, I can converse more freely. If that makes any sense. I still don't feel like I'm completely caught up to the level of the other students in my class, but I am happy with the progress that I've made. And I know that I improved SO MUCH more than I would have if I stayed in the 2nd-year class, so I'm glad.

Korean is the only language I will be studying (in school) next semester, and I am ready to give it my undivided (quote unquote) attention. I'm also applying to study abroad in Korea for a year after graduation, so we'll see how that works out! Fingers crossed!

Perhaps most importantly is that I'm playing through Pokemon Y in Korean right now and this is the best decision I have ever made.

[flag=]ja[/flag] Japanese:
I took a class that's considered to be my university's 6th-year Japanese course. It focused a lot on business Japanese, so I guess it's aimed at people who intend to work in Japan. It ended up not really being what I wanted, but I guess it's better than nothing. Even though it was a conversation class, I somehow couldn't shake the feeling that my speaking skills were on the decline. Maybe because I didn't put in a lot of work this semester? ><

I was supposed to take the JLPT in December, but I missed the registration.... again... by. one. day. In all honesty though, it was probably for the better; I didn't have enough time to study and probably would not have been prepared.

[flag=]zh[/flag] Chinese:
Seeing as this is technically a Korean-Japanese-German TAC, you might be wondering why I started taking Chinese instead of German. The short answer is that I felt German would be easier to learn on my own than Chinese. As I was only taking one semester of Chinese, my goal was simple: I did not expect to develop any sort of real fluency, but rather lay down the foundation so that I have a means of teaching myself if/when I decide to continue with Chinese in the future. Plus I have this weird thing where I want my German to be self-taught.

I had a lot of fun with Chinese, and I'm a bit disappointed that I won't be able to continue next semester, but I do have other languages I need to work on. I am excited to see when we will meet again in the future.

[flag=]fr[/flag] French:
French was by no means my priority this semester, but I managed to keep it from falling completely out of use by occasionally attending the French table. My Thursday schedule: Japanese class, immediately followed by Chinese class, immediately followed by Korean class, immediately followed by lunch at the French table - what a rush!

[flag=]de[/flag] German:
Lol, whoops. I was using Duolingo pretty consistently in August, but I stopped once I realized Korean, Japanese, and Chinese were going to require a lot of my time.

In other news:
I am currently home for break, but I somehow managed to forget all of my foreign language books at school. IT IS KILLING ME. No JLPT study books, no Korean Harry Potter, no French books...

TAC 2014
First off, I want to update my TAC thread more regularly. I'm thinking twice a month. Besides that, my plans are a bit hazy - that whole figuring-out-your-life-after-graduation thing and all.
EDIT: I forgot that I'm also planning on doing the Monthly Language Report.

[flag=]ko[/flag]
I'll find out in February whether or not I'll get to spend a year in Korea, which would obviously be huge.

[flag=]es[/flag]
I feel like I say this all the time, but I'm really hoping to get my Spanish back up and kicking. I'm always wanting to develop proficiency in new languages, and I think it would be a really simple way of getting that feeling. I'd even be happy doing little things like listening to podcasts or reading books. Too bad my Spanish Chronicles of Narnia has been missing since summer 2012...

[flag=]de[/flag]
I am probably unhealthily enchanted by this language and I want to learn it SO BADLY. German and Germany are screaming my name! I have an obscene amount of German resources that I can't wait to make use of! But my hesitations are that I feel like I should focus on improving my other languages first (namely Korean at the moment), and I kind of want to wait until I have time to devote myself to German completely. Which I realize might be too romantic of an idea. But we'll see!

FINAL THOUGHTS
Looking back at my two previous TACs (here and here), it's really nice to see how I've come along.
2014, let's see what you got!

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”