księżyc - TAC 2013 - Hebrew (+others?)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Meera
Re: księży - TAC 2013 - fr, pl, grc (+others?)

Postby Meera » 2013-03-16, 15:57

Yeah, I think it does take a bit of time to get used too. I have to be honest I was bit surprised how hard French actually is or all the romance languages in general. Just many things in them are so illogical, I know they are the easier languages to learn but still they have a lot of challenges. I hope I get the hang of French pronunciation soon, I recorded myself speaking it and I sounded so horrid. :oops:
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-03-16, 16:07

French is arguably the most difficult of the Western European languages. So don't be so hard of yourselves for not getting the hang of it quickly. :D

As tough as Breton is at times, I have to remind myself that Breton has basically one irreguar verb, its spelling is far more sensible and its pronunciation is much less ridiculous than French. :lol:

And if you're ever in despair, just remind yourselves that regular French is NOTHING compared the unholy monstrosity that is SMS French: http://www.tolearnfrench.com/exercises/ ... h-7196.php

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-03-16, 16:39

ceid donn wrote:French is arguably the most difficult of the Western European languages. So don't be so hard of yourselves for not getting the hang of it quickly. :D

As tough as Breton is at times, I have to remind myself that Breton has basically one irreguar verb, its spelling is far more sensible and its pronunciation is much less ridiculous than French. :lol:

And if you're ever in despair, just remind yourselves that regular French is NOTHING compared the unholy monstrosity that is SMS French: http://www.tolearnfrench.com/exercises/ ... h-7196.php

Mon dieu! Je ne pourrai jamais apprendre le français! :P
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-03-20, 15:43

Wow, some replies. Sorry for missing the boat.

Update time!

French (fr) & Polish (pl)
Been keeping up with Anki as best as I can. I'll be adding more to it with in a few days. I'm at lesson 5 right now for French. Polish I'm at lesson 3. Which reminds me, I probably should post in my thread in the Polish sub forum.

Irish Gaelic (ga)
Haven't been doing this one quite as much as I planned originally. Mostly just using Anki for the moment.

Ancient Greek (grc)
I'm dropping this one for the moment. As I'll be focusing on Hebrew this summer as my ancient language, I figure I'll just fiddle around with something else in this category. Plus, I'm hoping that since they are offering Biblical Hebrew this next semester, hopefully they will do the same with Koiné Greek one of the following semesters this coming year.
I'll decide on a new ACE language this week.

Japanese (ja)
I'm adding this one. My Asian "wanderlust" is too great to resist. :P for now I'm just working on the kana.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2013-10-23, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

księżycowy

Re: księży - TAC 2013 - fr, pl (+others?)

Postby księżycowy » 2013-05-02, 18:33

As per usual, I haven't updated this log in forever. :whistle:

French (fr) I've been trying to type a bit in French as much as I feel I can, which is a step in the right direction. :yep: Still working a way at my textbook too. I honestly haven't been looking much at the textbook lately, I've been trying to see how much I can remember from my previous French studies. Which probably means I'm using more English then I should in my French, but I'll start back on the textbook again now. :P

Polish (pl) I've been taking this language slowly (as I had though I would), but I'm still moving along.

Japanese (ja) & Irish (ga) I've been trying to keep these ones alive, but I haven't really been able to find the time right now. I may have to drop one or both.

Biblical Hebrew (he) I'm adding Biblical Hebrew, as I know I'll be doing it this summer anyway. My class doesn't start until May 15. Until them I'll be reviewing/learning some stuff to get a head start on my class. I have to confess I'm not a big fan of the textbook we're using in class, Biblical Hebrew: An Introductory Grammar by Kelley. I wish we were using something else, but that's probably the least of my worries.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2013-10-23, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-05-02, 20:01

What's wrong with your Hebrew text? I have never seen it but am curious what your objectionis. We used Lambdin's text, which is very good, if but only useable if you have a good teacher--also muy expensive (I got my copy for free from a very generous prof who didn't need his anymore).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-05-02, 20:19

I'm not sure about the grammar yet, as I haven't looked through it yet, but one of my big objections is the pronunciation. It uses modern Israeli pronunciation. Lambdin spoiled me with excellent grammar and authentic pronunciation, I guess that's my main objection. :P

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-05-03, 16:31

Meera wrote:Yeah, I think it does take a bit of time to get used too. I have to be honest I was bit surprised how hard French actually is or all the romance languages in general. Just many things in them are so illogical, I know they are the easier languages to learn but still they have a lot of challenges. I hope I get the hang of French pronunciation soon, I recorded myself speaking it and I sounded so horrid.
I find French easy to pronounce because I've been exposed to it from a young age but I think it's probably the hardest Romance language out of the main ones, except maybe Romanian.
księżycowy wrote:I'm not sure about the grammar yet, as I haven't looked through it yet, but one of my big objections is the pronunciation. It uses modern Israeli pronunciation. Lambdin spoiled me with excellent grammar and authentic pronunciation, I guess that's my main objection. :P
Did you use the Tiberian pronunciation? I think it's a lot easier if you already have some knowledge of Arabic, since it's very similar.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-05-03, 16:53

mōdgethanc wrote:Did you use the Tiberian pronunciation? I think it's a lot easier if you already have some knowledge of Arabic, since it's very similar.

Yup, I did. And I do have to say that thanks to some previous work with Arabic I did find the pronunciation easier. Though class hasn't started yet, and won't start until the 22nd, so I guess I'll have to wait until then to actually see which pronunciation we use in class. (Though it probably will be the simplified shit. It just irks me. :x :P)

I also don't like the fact there are only random biblical sentences for the exercises. I'd prefer to have connected readings, simplified or not. But other then that I've been looking through my textbook, and it looks quite excellent for the grammar, so that's a plus. :wink:
Overall I think my objections are outweighed by the textbooks good qualities. It should be a great class. I've heard the professor is pretty good too. We shall see.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-05-26, 13:04

Biblical Hebrew (he) So, I had my first class last week! :D We are using a very simplistic approach to pronunciation. (The professor said "we really don't know how ayin and alef were really pronounced" when I'm almost positive we have figured out that they were pronounced like Arabic alif and ayn originally.) But other then that it seems like it will be a pretty intensive and fun class. Can't wait until we actually get into reading some texts! We already have stared with a psalm (well, two sentences of one anyway) for "pronunciation" and reading practice. [And I do understand why my professor is being so simplistic with the pronunciation, so I'm not so worried about that anymore.]

So far we went over the alphabet (consonants) and a few vowels. We are supposed to go over the rest of the vowels and move on to the definite article, prepositions and vav conjunctive for homework. Easy as pie (so far). :wink:

And I'm still tossing around the idea of doing modern Hebrew too. I just don't want to confuse the two, so I might wait a while yet. :hmm:

French (fr) Haven't had a ton of time to devote to French due to my Hebrew class and my work schedule, but I'll work on it when there is time, which should be easy enough to find for at least these two.

Polish (pl)Irish (ga) I've been working on Polish a bit still, but it'll probably join Irish for a little while as a "barely afloat" language for a while. My main focus will be on Hebrew and French. I'll work on Polish and Irish when I can, but that probably won't be all that often for most of the summer.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2013-10-23, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.

księżycowy

Re: księży - TAC 2013 - Hebrew (+others?)

Postby księżycowy » 2013-06-14, 0:46

Update:

Biblical Hebrew (he)
This class is quite intensive! I haven't had any time for much aside from keeping up with my job and my Hebrew class. Don't get me wrong, the class is fun still. :wink:

So far we've gone over the following (in no particular order):
-the definite article
-prepositions
-dagesh lene and forte
-gender of nouns
-plural and dual nouns
-adjectives
-personal and demonstrative pronouns

And we have a vocabulary of about 40 words.

I've also acquired a copy of A Reader's Hebrew Bible, which was not necessary for class (no Bible or lexicon was needed). I'm finding it very helpful to read some passages to supplement my vocabulary and grammar notes. I also plan on picking up a copy of Holloday's lexicon shortly. The BHS can wait bit.

French (fr)Polish (pl)Irish (ga)
I haven't had any time, nor do I think that will get better. But time shall tell.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2013-10-23, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-06-14, 2:56

księżycowy wrote:The professor said "we really don't know how ayin and alef were really pronounced" when I'm almost positive we have figured out that they were pronounced like Arabic alif and ayn originally.)
Ask the Mizrahi Jews - they'll tell you.
And I do understand why my professor is being so simplistic with the pronunciation, so I'm not so worried about that anymore.
Because it's impossible? Yep.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-06-14, 11:25

mōdgethanc wrote:Because it's impossible? Yep.

Basically. He constantly tells us not to worry over all the little pronunciation and grammar nuances and just focus on the big concepts. :lol:

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-06-14, 18:18

księżycowy wrote:
mōdgethanc wrote:Because it's impossible? Yep.

Basically. He constantly tells us not to worry over all the little pronunciation and grammar nuances and just focus on the big concepts. :lol:
The pronunciation is nothing compared to the grammar - especially the verbs. Yikes!

The good thing about BH is that the syntax used in the Bible tends to be pretty simple and it's also easy to build a solid working vocabulary after a short time. So you can read long passages before long without having to know all the ins and outs of verb conjugation and word-building.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-06-14, 21:15

So far the grammar isn't bad at all. But then again we haven't really gotten into the verbs yet. We did a quick over view of the 3rd person singular qal form (as a passing note kind of thing).
Ultimately a lot of the nuances of the grammar will come from actually reading a lot. I am a bit disappointed that we haven't done much reading. I mean I've done some reading on my own and I can get around the verbs with some minor helps (and skipping a head to the verb charts).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-06-24, 1:54

Yay! We're finally getting into the verbs!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-06-28, 22:07

So I've desired to read (rather randomly) the book of Kings 1. However the first sentence give me my first head scratcher. Specifically it the בא ביםים part the if confusing to me. I got that בא is a form of the verb "to come", in this form it means "coming" right? And ביםים means "in the seas" right?

So then why do English Bibles translate this as "stricken in years" or the like?

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2013-07-02, 15:54

księżycowy wrote:The professor said "we really don't know how ayin and alef were really pronounced" when I'm almost positive we have figured out that they were pronounced like Arabic alif and ayn originally.)

Historically, I believe so. But as much as I know, attestations to the weakening process of the guttural consonants are found as early as in scriptures dating to the Second Temple period and predating the canonization of the bible. The question is how widespread this phenomenon was and whether it should be of any relevance to you, considering it is even disputed that the biblical language existed as a colloquial language in the form it takes in the scriptures, at the time they were written or ever.
księżycowy wrote:So I've desired to read (rather randomly) the book of Kings 1. However the first sentence give me my first head scratcher. Specifically it the בא ביםים part the if confusing to me. I got that בא is a form of the verb "to come", in this form it means "coming" right? And ביםים means "in the seas" right?

So then why do English Bibles translate this as "stricken in years" or the like?

ימים is also the plural for יום - day.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-02, 17:18

Damn it! I'm still getting those two confused it seems. Thanks for the help! :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-11, 21:45

So, we didn't have class last week. But we were read about interrogative sentences and some of the non-qal perfect verb forms.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”