księżyc - TAC 2013 - Hebrew (+others?)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: księży - TAC 2013 - Hebrew (+others?)

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-19, 1:49

This week was the imperfect qal form. We're skipping over the non-qal imperfect verb forms, as my professor said that as long as we know the qal (perfect or imperfect) we can figure the other forms out.

It doesn't look like we're getting into the weak/irregular verbs.

Two more classes to go. I wish there were more! My university only offers the intro classes in Hebrew and Greek. :(

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-08-01, 2:42

Just got back from my final, and I aced it! :whoo:

Of course that doesn't mean that I'm done with Hebrew. Not by a long shot. I plan to continue to work through the textbook we've been using and hopefully finishing it with in the next month or two. Other then that, it's reading, reading, and more reading.

After I get done with the textbook I'll start worrying about what language to work on next.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-09-23, 1:36

Wow, it's been a couple of months. This thread is in serious need of an update.

Biblical Hebrew (he)
I've been trying my best (and doing pretty well) at keeping my level at the level that I left my class at. I'm even planning on keeping on going to learning the irregular verb forms, which is really the main thing that wasn't covered in class. I also plan on starting to go through Lambdin's grammar, both for fun and for review.

As a side note, I've also decided to go through some (largely random) narratives from various Hebrew scriptures. I'm posting them and going through them on another forum (Parleremo). They kind of formed into "lessons."

Modern Hebrew (he)
I keep threatening myself with starting up some Modern Hebrew. Hopefully this week.

Others:
I also have to decide whether I want to start on of the European languages I'll need for my graduate studies (German or French), or whether I want to start on a NAIL for the upcoming Powwow in November. Or I might start some Polish. God I miss Polish.

Choices, choices! :hmm: :lol:
Last edited by księżycowy on 2013-10-23, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2013-09-23, 3:08

You should definitely do Yucatec Mayan. :D
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-09-23, 13:26

Nah, as much as I like Mayan languages I already have a course for Kaqchikel. I'm not going to go out an buy some stuff for Yucatec now. Not to mention I'm going with strictly NAILs at this point.

I'm thinking I might go back to Mohawk, but then again a few others look appealing as well.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2013-09-23, 21:32

Well, technically, Yucatec is spoken in North America. ;)
Trans woman  Image

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-09-23, 22:03

I'd say he's got the North/Sooth divide at the wrong latitude :lol:
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-09-23, 23:59

Touché :lol:

I was lumping Mexico in with Central America. At any rate, Mayan languages still aren't on my radar at the moment.

Though I'm open to suggests linguistically north of Mexico.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2013-09-24, 0:02

Hmm. I'd go with Lushootseed, Tohono O'odham, or maybe Mohawk. :D I'd say Lakota but I know you've already done a lot of that. :P
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-09-24, 2:33

Lowena wrote:I'd say Lakota but I know you've already done a lot of that. :P

I wouldn't say "a lot," but yes I have studied a bit. There is always room for review and expansion though. :wink:

Initially I thought of doing Cree, but then I thought I should really should do one I've already done so I can review and continue on with the language. So that would be:
Arapaho
Lakota
Mohawk
Creek
Lushootseed
Iñupiaq
Yup'ik
Aleut

Hmmmmm. Too many left unfinished. Time to get going on one!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-10-22, 23:26

So, aside from doing a bit of Biblical Hebrew "tutoring" (I use that term loosely, as I'm only a beginner myself) I haven't really been doing a ton with Hebrew (Biblical or Modern). I hope to rectify this by doing a lesson of both Biblical (mostly for review, and so I can actually learn the irregular verb forms), and Modern Hebrew from here on out.

I might post updates here, but I do have a thread in the Hebrew forum, and I do hate having to re-post stuff.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-10-23, 10:27

I've just gone through and updated my thread with the new flag code. Much better.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-11-14, 0:19

I'm giving myself until February (basically the end of the Powwow) to get done with my Hebrew textbook. I think I can give it a good run. 8-) I'm on lesson 2 of 11, and I'll easily be on to lesson three by the weekend.

I've also added a new book to my Hebrew library. Barron's 501 Hebrew Verbs :D

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”