TAC 2013 - johnklepac - cs, ja, ko, art-tkp, mn

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: TAC 2013 - johnklepac - cs, ja, ko, art-tkp, mn

Postby księżycowy » 2013-01-17, 21:15

Although I'm a bit rusty in Mongolian, I can understand what you are saying. Though I hardly find it quite as bad in the written <-> spoken differences as, say, Irish or French.

One of the most helpful books I've got my hands on is A Student Guide to Khalkha Mongolian Pronunciation.

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2013-01-17, 22:21

@chung I sent you a PM here and I hope you can respond soon.

@johnklepac Best of luck with your languages! :)

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-01-18, 0:57

[flag]en-us[/flag] I'm finding it a little difficult to fend off wanderlust. I know that not much time has passed since I started this Total Annihilation Challenge, but I want to stick with the five languages here and get to at least a good basic level in Korean, Toki Pona, and Mongolian. Lately I've wanted to start Spanish, which is oddly practical for me, and it's just... no.
[flag]cs[/flag] Cítím že odraziní wanderlust je trochu těžké. Vím že málo čas uplynoul od začal jsem Velkou Zničení Problém, ale chci pokračovat pět jazyků které jsou tady a stanete se dosti dobrý v korejštiny, tokiponštiny a mongolštiny. Nedávno chtěl jsem začít španělštinu, který je zvláštně praktický pro mě, a myslím že... ne.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-01-19, 15:22

[flag]en-us[/flag] Alright, so I've listened to all of the Korean tracks, but I'd really rather give them another go. The ones with important vocabulary have five stars on my iTunes. However, I promised myself a star, and a star I shall receive.
[flag]cs[/flag] Takže, poslouchal jsem všechny pisňe, ale chci poslouchat znovu. Pisňe které mají důležity slovníčky mají pět hvězdíčků v mém iTunes. Sice, slíbil jsem, že bůdu dát si hvězdíčku, a hvězdíčku bůdu dostat.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-01-19, 15:28

[flag]en-us[/flag] The first star is pretty insignificant...
[flag]cs[/flag] První hvězdíčka je dosti nepatrný...

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-01-22, 23:27

[flag]en-us[/flag] Ugh, what should I talk about now? I hope this routine doesn't get too tedious, because I do want to continue it for as long as the year lasts. There just aren't interesting topics for conversation here, though.
[flag]cs[/flag] Fuj, bych mel mluvit o co ted'? Doufejme rutina nebude stat se prilis nudvy, protoze ja chci pokracovat stejne dlouhe jako rok. Ale, tak, neexistuji zajimave zemy pro rozhovor tady.
[flag]art-tkp[/flag] a, seme la, mi wile e toki? wile la, pali li ala kame e ala musi. mi wile e toki ale li lon sike. a toki li musi li ala lon ni.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-01-25, 0:47

[flag]cs[/flag] Jsem nemocný.
[flag]ja[/flag] 病気んだ。

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2013-01-25, 16:51

johnklepac wrote:[flag]en-us[/flag] I've started a new file on Pokémon Emerald. I was sad, but I wanted a new experience. God, I suck at Toki Pona.
After seeing so many Japanese playing on the trains and at school and stuff, I decided to get myself a DS once I get back home :lol: And at the same time buy some nostalgic Pokémon games... I'll probably be really frustrated for not knowing the new Pokémon though :P
johnklepac wrote:[flag]ja[/flag] 病気んだ。
You need な there. Just んだ alone is only used after い adjectives as well as verbs. ;)
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-01-25, 20:54

Aleco wrote:After seeing so many Japanese playing on the trains and at school and stuff, I decided to get myself a DS once I get back home :lol: And at the same time buy some nostalgic Pokémon games... I'll probably be really frustrated for not knowing the new Pokémon though :P

I'm pretty rusty on the names of the Unova Pokémon myself, because I have White 2 in Japanese and, of course, the Pokémon there do not have English names. Even that I barely ever play now. I should really get back into it.

Aleco wrote:
johnklepac wrote:[flag]ja[/flag] 病気んだ。
You need な there. Just んだ alone is only used after い adjectives as well as verbs. ;)

You're right. Forgot about that one. :?

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2013-01-27, 14:43

Oh you played it in Japanese? A lot of my friends are doing that here, too :yep: It must help your understanding of the language a lot!

But hey, I always enjoyed Pokémon as a kid, and even in middle school, so it can't be that bad! I even try to watch the movies every year with a friend of mine :mrgreen: Next time maybe I should do it in Japanese haha.
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-01-27, 19:09

Alright, from now on I'll try to update on my progress with each language as frequently as is appropriate... maybe every day or two? I dunno, something like that.

[flag]cs[/flag] I've been steadily continuing this. I now have 517 cards in my basic noun deck, which doesn't include animals, parts of the body, diseases, places, and a few other categories (but most of those decks are pretty sparsely populated). I think I'll need to add more to my verb and adjective decks too.
[flag]ja[/flag] I've done almost nothing outside school. Bad, bad.
[flag]ko[/flag] I've done almost nothing since I finished those tapes. Bad, bad again.
[flag]art-tkp[/flag] It's coming along, though more slowly than I'd hoped. Considering how few words there are, I'm pretty lousy at remembering them. :( The grammar is surprisingly intuitive, though.
[flag]mn[/flag] I didn't truly start this until a couple of days ago. I've got a few nouns, verbs, and greetings/generic phrases down, and I'm comfortable with the Cyrillic alphabet, but nothing substantial's come yet.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2013-01-27, 19:19

Mongolian sounds so cool. :) I'm sure it's pretty difficult to speak actually :)

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-01-28, 3:20

As for the rest of the night:
[flag]cs[/flag] I've added a few more vocabulary words and gone through four of my decks, with plans to review two more. Usually I stop at one or two, but hopefully I'll be able to keep this up. :)
[flag]ja[/flag] I'm now watching a very disturbing video. I'm able to understand more of it than I thought I would, but I still have a long way to go. Oh, well.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-01-30, 3:22

[flag]cs[/flag] I've added, like, 40 nouns to my deck today. Hopefully I'll get through some old ones quickly so I can mark them as "mastered."
[flag]ja[/flag] I had a conversation of about four or five minutes in Japanese today, which isn't bad. No obvious errors were made, as far as I was able to tell at the time or can in retrospect.
[flag]art-tkp[/flag] Nothing, but I explained what Toki Pona is to a friend today. More intrigue was shown than I'd expected.
[flag]mn[/flag] Nothing, but I'm going to review all of the vocabulary I've accumulated tonight.
[flag]ko[/flag] Nothing.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-01-31, 13:12

[flag]cs[/flag] I've been focusing on the names of countries lately but have also added a few more verbs and adjectives. Nouns I'll keep on the back burner for a bit.
[flag]ja[/flag] Nothing.
[flag]ko[/flag] I listened to about half of my tapes yesterday.
[flag]mn[/flag] Nothing.
[flag]art-tkp[/flag] Nothing.

bluejay390

Postby bluejay390 » 2013-02-01, 16:46

Mongolian!! Whenever I see someone talking about Mongolian it makes me want to study it again. XD Good luck with your studies this year. You have an awesome group of languages you're learning.
Selamat tidur kekasih gelapku♪♫

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-02-02, 3:23

[flag]cs[/flag] I've exceeded my limits with Czech. I haven't plateaued in terms of skill or even content, but I need to give it a rest with new vocabulary for a while. Předstihnul jsem můj omezení český. Nestagnoval jsem pokud jde o dovednosti nebo dokonce o obsahu, ale musím ustat novou slovníček na chvíli.
[flag]ja[/flag] Talked to some Japanese people today... briefly. I guess that's decent. 今日日本人と話した、、、ちょっと。それがもとまかな。
[flag]ko[/flag] Nope, not gonna embarrass myself with Korean. Not yet.
[flag]art-tkp[/flag] Hmm, what have I done? Eh, who cares, it's not that urgent. I'm not gonna get drafted to Tokiponistan anytime soon. lawa la mi li pali e seme. pimeja la jan ala li pilin e ni. ni li suli ala. mi li tawa utala ala li ma toki lon ala.
[flag]mn[/flag] Not gonna try Mongolian now either.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2013-02-02, 3:43

Only A2 in Czech and you say you've plateaued? I'd say you have quite a ways to go...
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

Naihonn

Postby Naihonn » 2013-02-02, 5:19

Lowena wrote:Only A2 in Czech and you say you've plateaued? I'd say you have quite a ways to go...

When you have to decline and conjugate, have three genders and seven cases,... etc. it is possible to overload your brain much faster. :whistle:

Anyway, John, if you need any help with Czech, just tell me. 8-)

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2013-02-02, 5:31

Naihonn wrote:
Lowena wrote:Only A2 in Czech and you say you've plateaued? I'd say you have quite a ways to go...

When you have to decline and conjugate, have three genders and seven cases,... etc. it is possible to overload your brain much faster. :whistle:

Anyway, John, if you need any help with Czech, just tell me. 8-)

Oh yeah? Basque has 15 cases, and I didn't fret about them ever. ;)

And Basque has about 200 conjugations each of one verb for the moods indicative, potential, conditional, subjunctive, and imperative.

But yes, I hope John continues with Czech and becomes fluent one day soon. :)
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”