TAC 2013 - ceid donn - gd

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

ceid donn
TAC 2013 - ceid donn - gd

Postby ceid donn » 2012-12-27, 2:22

Since I cant do much with my languages for these last few days of 2012, so I'm going to start planning for my TAC 2013.

Yeah. Let's do this!

My TAC languages will be:

[flag]gd[/flag] Gàidhlig -- hopefully my Skype partner can resume our weekly meetings after New Year's. I am also looking into private lessons and hope to start in February. Basically continue building all the skills needed for fluency.

[flag]fr[/flag] Français -- My main goal for 2013 is to get more confident with writing and speaking French. I have my workbooks (B1-C1 level books) and will continue working in those. Never got around to finding a conversation group last year--will try to do that this year. Also I keep forgetting LFWA, even though I follow her on Twitter!

[flag]br[/flag] Brezhoneg -- I haven't done much studying in the last few months of '12, but i still read and chat a bit on social media in Brezhoneg, which has been a nice motivation to continue with it. Besides it's a fun language. I will try to finish my beginner text, Brezhoneg Buan hag Aes, and move on to more intermediate level materials this year.

[flag]de[/flag] Deutsch -- won't be my highest priority, but it's too useful of a language to let slip, so I will continue to do some work with German. Mostly using advanced learner materials on DW.

There is, of course, some chance I may revisit past languages--most likely Indonesian, Japanese, Swahili & Swedish--but these will be my main TAC 2013 languages.

EDIT 02/04/13: Adding [flag]nv[/flag] and [flag]sga[/flag] as secondary focus.

[flag]nv[/flag] Will be using Breakthrough Navajo and Diné Bizaad.

[flag]sga[/flag] Will be using Stifter's Sengoidelc: Old Irish for Beginners.
Last edited by ceid donn on 2013-07-13, 10:22, edited 6 times in total.

ceid donn

Re: TAC 2013 - ceid donn - gd, fr, br, de

Postby ceid donn » 2012-12-28, 19:38

I'm pretty sick, and have been for about 2 weeks with a nasty bout of bronchitis, but I'm finally well enough-ish to try to do some studying this weekend (and thankfully I've been playing so much Skyrim while I've been sick that I can use a break from that too :P ).

Today I'm going to work on some dictation in [flag]gd[/flag] and [flag]fr[/flag], and maybe [flag]de[/flag] if I have the time and energy. I think that will be a good pre-TAC 2013 warm-up.

Tomorrow, I will review and practice [flag]br[/flag] pronunciation--already pulled out the materials for that, so no excuses! :whistle:

I also have some [flag]gd[/flag] vocabulary to look up from a short novel I'm reading. I think for that I'll probably start a Gàidhlig thread in the Celtic language forums--chuiridh an fòram sin feum air tuilleadh Gàidhlig! :lol:

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2012-12-30, 0:53

[flag]fr[/flag] J'ai fait de deux dictées et un sujet de la semaine sur LFWA. C'est un bon début, je crois. :D

[flag]gd[/flag] Dhèan mi dhà deuchainn SQA airson luchd-ionnsachaidh na Gàidhlig ach bha iad ro fhurasta. Feumaidh mi ìre nas truime fheuchainn. :whistle:

[flag]br[/flag] Have started to review the pronunciation guide in Ouplan. It's a long section, very thorough, so it'll take me the better part of a week to review it all properly. :P

[flag]fr[/flag]

Une dernière chose pour la soirée: une traduction de quelques propos politiques par Patrick Le Lay:

« On vit dans des mensonges, par exemple celui de la République française belle, unique et indivisible portant la liberté au monde avec cette devise: liberté, égalité, fraternité. La République française n’est ni libérale, ni égalitaire, ni fraternelle. Si elle l’était, il n’y aurait pas besoin d’écrire ça sur tous les frontons publics. Je ne dis pas que ce n’est pas un joli principe, mais ça n’a jamais été appliqué et surtout pas en Bretagne… On détruit le corpus des langues régionales en France comme le breton et le basque. Ce sont des langues très anciennes. Le français est une langue magnifique mais elle est artificielle. Elle date de l’édit de Villers-Cotterêts en 1539. Comme il fallait unifier un pays, il fallait unifier une langue. Mais ce n’est pas pour autant qu’il faut tuer des langues qui ont deux mille ans d’existence derrière elles. Mais la faute à qui ? Aux Bretons. Ils n’avaient qu’à la défendre.

We live in falsehoods, such as that of the great French Republic, one and indivisible, bearing liberty to the world with this motto: liberty, equality, brotherhood. The French Republic is neither free, nor equal, nor brotherly. If it were, there would be no need to write this on every public facade. I do not say that it is not an admirable principle, but it has never been applied and especially not in Brittany... We destroy the body of regional languages in France like Breton and Basque. These are very ancient languages. French is a magnificent language but it is artificial. it dates to the edict of Villers-Cotterêts in 1539. As it would unify a country, it would unify a language (?). But this is not a reason to kill languages that have two thousand years of existence behind them. But whose fault is it? The Bretons. They only had to defend it.

Je suis profondément indépendantiste. Je pense que la France est un pays qui ne fonctionne pas. Dans le cadre européen, je pense que nous devons aller vers des régions et pas des nations. La nation française est un concept qui est faux, c’est un mythe auquel se raccroche un pouvoir centralisé. C’est aux hommes et aux femmes de prendre conscience qu’ils vivent dans des schémas qui ne sont pas les bons, que le système jacobin centralisateur est un système dépassé… ».

I am a firm independent. I think that France is a country that is not working. In the European framework, I think that we need to move towards regions and not nations. The French nation is a concept that is false, it is a myth to which a centralized authority clings. It is for men and women to realize that they live in systems/designs that are not good, that the centralized Jacobin system is a outmoded system...

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-01-01, 18:08

Bliadhna mhath ùr - Bloavezh mat - Bonne année - Frohes neues Jahr

I suppose this is officially the first day on my TAC 2013. :wink:

Just a quick note, since my internet connection is sloooooooow today:

[flag]fr[/flag] I'm very happy with the French review I have been doing with LFWA dictations and other lessons. Things seems to be clicking there.

[flag]gd[/flag] For review with Gaelic, I have been doing some old SQA tests and looking at Speaking Our language videos, which is nice since those both cover things i often don't get much exposure.

[flag]br[/flag] I'm getting back into the swing with Breton pronunciation using Oulpan. I misplaced my copy of BBHA right before I fell ill a few weeks ago and haven't seen it since, and don't have the energy to do a overhaul of my bedroom/study are to find it, so I will probably use Colloquial Breton for a while.

[flag]de[/flag] I haven't done much to review German so far, but it's the lesser priority. I have plenty of materials when I get the chance to look at it

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-01-04, 3:17

[flag]gd[/flag] Uill, 's chòir dhomh Fraingis [flag]fr[/flag] 's Gearmailtis [flag]de[/flag] a dèanamh a-nochd ach tha beagan ath-thilleadh de tinneas agam agus b' fheàrr leam a' leantainn air Gàidhlig. Mar sin, tha mi a' dol sin a dhèanamh. Ma dh'fhaoidte bidh mi airson Fraingis às a dhèidh seo.

Well, I should do some French and German tonight, but I am having a bit of a relapse of illness and would prefer to keep working on Gaelic, so I'm going to do that. Perhaps I'll be in the mood for some French later on.

[flag]br[/flag] I posted some translations of children's haikus e brezhoneg in my brezhoneg thread, as well as listened to some Breton songs and worked on pronunciation. It's driving me crazy I can't find my copy of BBHA because I really need to review some grammar points and I'm more familiar with where to find those points in BBHA than in Colloquial Breton. Maybe tomorrow I'll have the energy to look around this dump for it. :silly:

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-01-04, 7:19

[flag]de[/flag] One good reason to study Deutsch: words like abgechecken

I'm counting listening to Kraftwerk (as it is what came up on my Real Player playlist after my Breton tracks :P ) as German study.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCKybI5BjEY&

Sie ist ein Modell und sie sieht gut aus
Ich nehme sie heut' gerne mit zu mir nach Haus
Sie wirkt so kuehl, and sie kommt niemand 'ran
Doch vor der Kamera da zeigt sie was sie kann

Sie trinkt im Nachtklub immer Sekt (korrekt)
Und hat hier alle Maenner abgecheckt
Im Scheinwerferlicht ihr junges Laecheln strahlt
Sie sieht gut aus und Schoenheit wird bezahlt

Sie stellt sich zu Schau fuer das Konsumprodukt
Und wird von millionen Augen angeguckt
Ihr neues Titelbild ist einfach Fabelhaft
Ich muss sie wiedersehen, ich weiss sie hat's geschaft

Also, this video is possibly the greatest thing on all of You Tube. 8-) Streitet nicht mit mir!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MobpPTVobOk

Ich bin der Musikant mit Taschenrechner in der Hand
Ich addiere
Und subtrahiere
Kontrolliere
Und Komponiere
Und wenn ich diese Taste drück
Spielt er ein kleines Musikstück

:mrgreen:

extralean

Postby extralean » 2013-01-04, 8:30

Salut ceid donn!

Je dois admettre que je suis impressionné par ton choix de langues pour ton TAC.

Le Bretagne est un de mes endroits préférés au monde et j'ai vraiment aimé le fait qu'ils parlent breton là-bas. J'y sus allé plusieurs fois mais je n'ai jamais rencontré quelqu'un qui l’étudiait.

Pour quoi est-ce que t'as choisis tes langues?

Bonne courage pour l'avenir.

T.
I speak : [flag]au[/flag] [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] - I study : [flag]it[/flag] & [flag]de[/flag]
“Own only what you can always carry with you: know languages, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag.”― Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-01-04, 17:53

Salut extralean :D Merci pour ton encouragement!

Tu as visité la Bretagne? Je suis tellement jaloux! J'aspire à visiter la Bretagne. C'est splendide, non?

J'ai commencée à apprendre l'allemand à l'école quand j'avais 13 ans. C'est ma première langue, après l'anglais. Quand j'ai étudiée la philosophie à l'université, j'ai lu des livres de Heidegger, Nietzsche et Kant en allemand mais aujourd'hui je suis très hésitant parce que je ne l'utilise pas assez. Je l'apprécie toujours et c'est une langue très utile de connaître, je crois.

J'apprends le français parce que je suis d'origines française. La famille de mon grand-père parle français comme langue maternelle mais je ne commence pas à apprendre français avant j'étais à l'université. Mon français est pauvre. Je fais beaucoup d'erreurs stupides et ma prononciation est terrible, mais je l'aime en dépit de mes compétences pauvres.

La famille de ma mère est plupart d'origine écossaise et certains membres de sa famille étaient des gaélophones écossaises. De plus, le père de ma grand-mère paternelle était irlandais et parla le gaélique du Munster. J'ai toujours voulu apprendre le gaélique, mais je n'ai pas le temps jusqu'à ce que jái quittée l'université. Je l'ai étudiée pendant cinq ans.

Lorsque j'ai décidée d'apprendre une autre langue celtique, j'ai choisi Breton parce que il y a quelques ancêtres bretons dans la famille de mon grand-père paternel. C'est aussi tout simplement un merveilleux langue, bien que très difficile.

Bon courage dans tes propres étudies, extralean. Comment as-tu appris le français? Es-tu d'origine française aussi?

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-01-05, 1:54

Voici une blague sur les français qui m'a fait rire :lol: ( I got this from Learning French with Alexa, so if you don't like this joke, stone Alexa, not me! :P )

- Pourquoi observe-t-on un flux et un reflux de la mer ?
Parce qu'il y a très longtemps, les Français sont venus s'installer près de la plage. Et la mer, écoeurée, s'en est allée. Depuis, toutes les 12 heures, elle revient voir si ils sont toujours là.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :silly:

extralean

Postby extralean » 2013-01-05, 9:05

ceid donn wrote:Tu as visité la Bretagne? Je suis tellement jaloux! J'aspire à visiter la Bretagne. C'est splendide, non?

Ouais, et en plus j'avais le bonheur d'avoir évité la pluie chaque fois que j'y suis allé! J'ai un petit peinture au dessus de mon ordinateur du port de Quiberon il y a une centaine des années. Mon temps passer là-bas et sur belle-île restera parmi mes meilleurs souvenirs.

ceid donn wrote:Comment as-tu appris le français? Es-tu d'origine française aussi?

J'ai suivi ma copine à Paris après nos études, et j'y ai resté pendant presque quatre ans. Je reviendrai en juin pour mon mariage en plus.

Mes origines sont australiens depuis plusieurs générations, et avant tout cela j'ai des ancêtres irlandais, anglais, et écossais (en majorité, car il y a aussi un allemand, norvégien, et un juif dans tout ça)

Voilà, bon courage et je suivrai ton log avec grand intérêt.
Last edited by extralean on 2013-01-05, 9:50, edited 1 time in total.
I speak : [flag]au[/flag] [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] - I study : [flag]it[/flag] & [flag]de[/flag]
“Own only what you can always carry with you: know languages, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag.”― Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

extralean

Postby extralean » 2013-01-05, 9:50

oh et je viens de trouver ceci: Image

Que je trouve super.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-01-06, 2:49

extralean wrote:oh et je viens de trouver ceci

:good4u:

Ouais, et en plus j'avais le bonheur d'avoir évité la pluie chaque fois que j'y suis allé! J'ai un petit peinture au dessus de mon ordinateur du port de Quiberon il y a une centaine des années. Mon temps passer là-bas et sur belle-île restera parmi mes meilleurs souvenirs.

Tu es très fortuante. :D Si je devais visiter la Bretagne, la pluie ne me dérange pas. Là où j'habite en ce moment est très aride et il ne pleut pas très souvent. Le pluie me manque!

ceid donn wrote:J'ai suivi ma copine à Paris après nos études, et j'y ai resté pendant presque quatre ans. Je reviendrai en juin pour mon mariage en plus.

Félicitations d'avance!

J'ai remarqué la citation de Solzhenitsyn dans te signature. Mon directeur à l'université était russo-américaine et l'ai connu par un ami en commun. C'est une citation étrange. Sais-tu que pendant tout le temps qu'il a habité aux États-Unis, il a refusé d'apprendre l'anglais? Je suppose qu'il ne voulais pas porter cet souvenir avec lui! :lol:

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-01-06, 9:40

So, I spend my valuable time and energy learning French and I wind up reading brainrot like this?

Avec combien de gens ont couché tous les héros de «Friends»?

I could have spent that time reading de Maupassant or Rimbaud, but no, I spotted an article about Friends characters' sex partners at Slate.fr and went with that.

:silly:

Je dois aller au lit.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-01-09, 5:47

Quick update:

[flag]de[/flag] Gotten back into Duolingo. Hopefully will stick with it. That it registers typos as errors a lot irks me, as I'm a crappy typist, but I'll mange.

[flag]gd[/flag] Mostly just listening to MP3s I made from Speaking Our Language videos. Could really use the exposure to native speakers. Haven't heard yet from my Skype partner--perhaps I should send him an email and find out if he's back from holiday yet.

[flag]fr[/flag] Reading, doing some writing, a few more dictations, learned lyrics to a couple of new songs. Not bad, but could do more.

[flag]br[/flag] I think I've done enough translating songs and such. Need to get back to studying grammar/vocabulary. Working on pronunciation is a work in progress so need to keep at that too.

Goals for the next week:

[flag]de[/flag] Start reviewing grammar with my Hammer's and workbooks, plus Duolingo
[flag]gd[/flag] Write a couple entries in my Gàidhlig thread and finish the vocabulary list I started, plus watch more SOS videos. Also hopefully restart my Skype meetings. And do at least one SQA test.
[flag]fr[/flag] Do at least 3 more LFWA dictations & 2 LFWA sujets de la semaine, plus some Duolingo
[flag]br[/flag] Find my copy of BBHA! At least review grammar with Colloquial Breton.

I was looking at the Wanderlust thread and was thinking how I have utterly no wanderlust at the moment. I guess the benefit of being in the midst of a prolonged recovery from a prolonged illness is that I just don't have the energy to even entertain the idea of starting a new language. Beside i had a couple big disappointments last year with Mi'kmaq and Navajo, with differing reasons for both as to why I had to stop shortly after getting all psyched up to learn them (not to mention the money spent of materials). I'm really geared toward success right now, not more disappointment. I'm happy to stick with languages I know I've gotten somewhere with already for now. Besides, one language that I wanderlusted for ages--Brezhoneg--is now one of those languages that I can say i've gotten somewhere with. So I'm content.

Just needed to say that. Hopefully if in a couple months I start feeling so wanderlust, I'll come back and read that. :lol:

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-01-15, 15:30

Well, one of these days I'll be back to relatively decent health. But not today. :blush:

One good thing about my attempts to "annihilate" anything that's an obstacle or distraction: I've cut back a lot on my Twitter time, mainly because I'm bored with it, most of the "cool" people I know on it have drifted back tot heir real lives and there's little there for me beyond getting news.

One bad thing: I'm writing Skyrim fanfiction and it's taking up more time than I thought it would when I started.

It's been a pretty slow week for me language-wise.

[flag]fr[/flag] Did a *little* Duolingo and a couple of dictations. The dictations seem to be helping on several levels--hearing, reinforcing grammar and spelling, my reading fluency and my ability to recall phrases while speaking. It's a win-win-win-win!

[flag]de[/flag] Looked at chapter in Hammer's on verb tense usage. meant to write out som enotse to help me keep it all straight. Will try to do that this week.

[flag]br[/flag] Nothing aside from reading tweets en brezhoneg.Will try to get back to my thread in the Celtic forum.

[flag]gd[/flag] Still working my way slowly through Speaking Our languages videos, and have started to read through Colin Mark's Tip of the Week. Did one SQA test plus a little writing email sa Ghàidhlig. Have a couple things to post in my Gàidhlig thread but haven't had the energy. Hopefully I can do that soon.

Due to my poor health I can't push myself too hard right now (studying languages takes a surprising amount of energy, doesn't it?), so I'm setting my goals for the next week pretty low: just do anything, something this week, with each.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-01-24, 21:33

Ugh!

OK. I'm STILL bleeping sick and I'm getting pretty tired of this. Having very limited energy is keeping me from doing a lot of things, not just studying my languages, so when I do have energy I have to take care of the really pressing things (grocery shopping, paying bills, walking the dog, etc), which then drain me of what energy I have, so , yeah, not getting a lot of studying done. If I could "annihilate" this illness away, I surely would have weeks ago. :roll:

:silly: Anyhow...a quick up-date, of sorts:

[flag]gd[/flag] Actually did quite a bit of reading and listening this week given my state of health. Met with my study partner last wee and we're meeting again tonight. Thankfully since we hadn't been meeting over the holiday we're just doing little conversion and one Litir do Luchd-Ionnsachaidh, which is mercifully easy for me, to ease us both back into our study routine.

[flag]br[/flag] Been reviewing with Kervarker since I still can't find my BBHA. Reviewed chapters 1 through 6, which is more than i thought I'd get done this week. No posting in my Brezhoneg thread, but i meant to--just never had the energy to type stuff out.

[flag]fr[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] Nada. Will try to do some Duolingo and LWFA/DWTV stuff this week but I can't make any promises!!!

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-01-26, 15:39

I am having some annoying technical difficulties with Duolingo site this morning, so I'm going to pass on that and do some Geothe-Verlang phrase training with [flag]de[/flag] and for [flag]fr[/flag] a new LFWA dictation plus review some I did a while back.

I'm a bit sadden that the Celtic language forum is dead again. Will try to get some Breton stuff up this weekend (I know, that's what I said last weekend), but it sucks feeling like you're the only one using the forum. Had that issue with my Swahili thread. :|

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-01-26, 20:02

I'm a bit sadden that the Celtic language forum is dead again. Will try to get some Breton stuff up this weekend (I know, that's what I said last weekend), but it sucks feeling like you're the only one using the forum. Had that issue with my Swahili thread. :|

If it makes you feel any better, I'll be back. Hopefully within the year.

It is sad. But that is the way of things when you study more obscure languages. My forums are mostly dead aside from when the Powwow is on.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-01-29, 5:44

[flag]br[/flag] In better news. I found my copy of BBHA. It's only been missing for about 3 months. :lol: I had read up to Kentel 16 but I think I only posted work in my Brezhoneg thread up through Kentel 12 so I have some catching up to do.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-02-01, 3:24

Quadrilingual update! :waytogo:

[flag]gd[/flag] Choinnich mi ri mo chompanach-ionnsachadh air Skype a-nochd. Leugh sinn Litir do Luchd-ionnsachaidh mu dheireadh 's aithris mu coimhead air na speuran 's nan rionnagan as t-oidhche ann an Alba. Chan eil mi air sìon eile a dhèanamh an seachdain seo gu mi-fhortanach. Ged a tha mi a' faireachdainn nas fheàrr, tha mi air a bhith glè thrang.

[flag]br[/flag] Kentelioù 1-8 en BBHA e lennen c'hoazh ha lennin Kentelioù 9-12 fenoz. Setu, me zo o skriv en brezhoneg! :mrgreen:

[flag]fr[/flag] Cette semaine, j'ai seulement fait un peu de lecture car j'ai passé en revue le breton.

[flag]de[/flag] Ich wiederholte Modalverben. Spannend!

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”