TAC 2017 - iamblu (Pashto, Arabic, Slovak)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

iamblu
TAC 2017 - iamblu (Pashto, Arabic, Slovak)

Postby iamblu » 2017-04-26, 3:30

Well, I am new here but I enjoyed this TAC idea so much that I could not wait for new year to start my own one, and as apparently it is not a problem to start a topic now, I am just doing it now.

Pashto (Northern) - Materials I have are openly based on Kabuli dialect and it makes me more confortable about the using of them. I have not great problems with alphabet (as expected from a native user of Latin script), but I have problems on phonology mainly with schwa. I just know Pashto in a very basic vocabulary that does not allow me to keep a conversation.

Arabic (Levantine) - Apparently the forum calls Syrian Arabic by Levantine, so I will do too. I can keep a simple conversation but using a mix of MSA and Ramallah dialect, but my goal is to speak the variety of Syrian seacoast.

Slovak (Standard) - An old passion which I ignored while studying other things. I can speak it also in a simple conversation but I fail in grammar tense and sometimes I use words from other Slavic languages that do not exist in Slovak.

I am going to use only books in English (not by option), Youtube channels, DLI Language Survival Kit, Telegram groups and online radio/TV.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2017 - iamblu (Pashto, Arabic, Slovak)

Postby voron » 2017-04-26, 8:39

Cool languages! Welcome!

What language are you going to use Telegram groups for? Telegram is a very popular messenger here in Belarus; I wonder if it is popular in any other country whose language you are going to study in this TAC.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-04-26, 14:44

Good luck! There's no intersection between our current languages (except - duh! - English) but I'll keep an eye on this thread.

iamblu wrote:Apparently the forum calls Syrian Arabic by Levantine, so I will do too.

Is it allowed? That "by"?
Also, I think it should be "do it too".

Following Nassin Taleb on Twitter makes me wanderlust for Levantine, but I stop it when I remember my French needs more love.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-26, 16:13

It would sound better to say, "apparently the forum calls Syrian Arabic, 'Levantine.'"

iamblu

Postby iamblu » 2017-04-26, 16:27

voron wrote:Cool languages! Welcome!

What language are you going to use Telegram groups for? Telegram is a very popular messenger here in Belarus; I wonder if it is popular in any other country whose language you are going to study in this TAC.

Thank you, voron!

I'm in groups to English, Spanish, Arabic and Pashto learners. Most of this groups are made by Indians and Iranians, a few by Spaniards and Arabs. I'm in Brazilian groups too (not about languages), but Telegram isn't popular here, we use more Whatsapp.

Osias wrote:Good luck! There's no intersection between our current languages (except - duh! - English) but I'll keep an eye on this thread.

iamblu wrote:Apparently the forum calls Syrian Arabic by Levantine, so I will do too.

Is it allowed? That "by"?
Also, I think it should be "do it too".

Following Nassin Taleb on Twitter makes me wanderlust for Levantine, but I stop it when I remember my French needs more love.

Thank you, Osias!

I saw it from an English football song were is sung "he goes by the name of". On "I (will) do it too" I really don't know what can be correct.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-26, 20:37

Hope you don't mind the corrections imblu.
iamblu wrote:Thank you, voron!

I'm in groups for English, Spanish, Arabic and Pashto learners. Most of these groups are made by Indians and Iranians, and a few by Spaniards and Arabs. I'm in Brazilian groups too (not about languages), but Telegram isn't popular here. We use Whatsapp more.

Thank you, Osias!

I saw it in an English football song, where it says, "he goes by the name of". With "I (will) do it too," I really don't know what is correct.

I changed "sung" because you said you saw it, not heard it. "Where it goes" could work too, but it would be clunky with the lyrics saying "goes" as well. You could also say something like, "I heard it in an English...." in which case I still wouldn't use "sung" in that sentence.

An alternative word order for your second sentence in that quote is:
I really don't know which [one] is correct with [regard to] "I (will) do it too."
Which is a bit more natural to me.

And to answer the question of "do it," the most natural way to say it is, "do it too" or "do it as well". You could also say "do so too/as well."

iamblu

Postby iamblu » 2017-04-27, 16:43

Don't worry, Paweł, I thank when people correct me. I have problems with prepositions, I didn't study it as I should :?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-27, 16:53

I'm happy to help. :)

iamblu

Postby iamblu » 2017-04-30, 17:19

As I do not find material in Portuguese to learn Pashto, so I am totally dependent to internet. Because probably someone else faces a similar situation, I share here a list of links to Pashto learners and also another list of websites which have links to other languages learners (similar to this one I did). List is not complete actually, but it will give a good start to anyone.

Books by Habibullah Tegey and Barbara Robson:
Beginning Pashto textbook and workbook revised editions
Intermediate Pashto textbook and workbook revised editions
A reference grammar of Pashto
Pashto reader
Pashto conversation manual and tapescript
Pashto conversation audios

Other courses:
Pashto textbook
Pashto reading and listening modules
Weekly training events Pashto lessons (select Pashto and click on search)

Essays:
Pashto sampler and resources by Taylor Roberts
Split-agreement and ergativity in Pashto by Taylor Roberts

Culture:
The Afghani
The Afghans: their history and culture by Barbara Robson and Juliene Lipson
The history of Pashto language
Pashto landay
Traditional music
Afghanistan in perspective
Pashto (Afghanistan) cultural orientation
Portals to the World: Afghanistan
Pakistanin perspective
Portals to the World: Pakistan
Pashto (Pakistan) cultural orientation

Websites in Pashto:
Pashto poetry

Linklists to other languages:
Yamada Language Guides
So you wanted to learn a language
Links 4 languages

Websites with multi-language courses:
Intermediate reading and listening modules (Kyrgyz, Mongolian, Pashto, Tajiki, Uyghur and Uzbek)
Weekly training events lessons (Farsi, Dari, Pashto, MSA, Hindi, Russian, Mandarin, Korean, Sorani, Kurmanji and Tagalog)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-04-30, 17:57

Hi iamblu! I am a native Pashto speaker :)
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

iamblu

Postby iamblu » 2017-04-30, 19:22

Meera wrote:Hi iamblu! I am a native Pashto speaker :)

Salaam, Meera :)

I did Beginning Pashto textbook units 1-3, but I am yet going crazy on word order (even it seems to be flexible where object is located in phrase).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-30, 20:13

I keep meaning to get those textbooks by Tegey and Robinson printed off. I'd still love to revisit Pashto sometime in the future.

As much as I like Persian and Kurdish, Pashto always seemed the coolest out of all of them. Probably because of the phonology.

Best of luck learning it, iamblu. I'm sure Meera would be more than happy to help you out too.

iamblu

Postby iamblu » 2017-04-30, 23:04

księżycowy wrote:I keep meaning to get those textbooks by Tegey and Robinson printed off. I'd still love to revisit Pashto sometime in the future.

As much as I like Persian and Kurdish, Pashto always seemed the coolest out of all of them. Probably because of the phonology.

Best of luck learning it, iamblu. I'm sure Meera would be more than happy to help you out too.

Thank you, księży!

I also want printed texbooks. In pdf, text become bold because digitalization, sometimes I get problems to recognize the retroflex circle.

Because Pashto is spoken more Easternly than other major Iranian languages, maybe it become influenced by Indo-Aryan languages. I also add Ossete to the like-list.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-05-11, 7:54

I never asked which one. The pakhto, poheg'm or the pashto, pohež'm? :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-05-11, 23:52

Dr. House wrote:

The latter.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-05-12, 5:28

مننه

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-08, 10:22

Dr. House wrote:

What's the difference? Dialectal?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-06-08, 12:21

dEhiN wrote:
Dr. House wrote:

What's the difference? Dialectal?

Yes. Pakhto is the variety spoken in Pakistan and northern Afghanistan IIRC. The other one is the one spoken in and around Kandahar, where I think Meera once told a few of us that she's from.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-06-08, 13:32

I think "northern" is a bit of a misnomer as far as Afghanistan is concerned, as Dari is the majority language in the north. It's more like Eastern Afghanistan. Via the language maps on Wikipedia, Pashto is pretty contained to Southern Afghanistan until pretty close to the Paskistani border, and then makes some Northward progress.

The Dialects are basically as Vijay says though. The main differences are in the phonology of certain letters of the Pashto abjad. Especially ښ and ږ . There are some vocabulary and grammar differences too, but from what I understand those are less pronounced. Meera could probably give a better picture then me though.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-06-08, 23:30

księżycowy wrote:I think "northern" is a bit of a misnomer as far as Afghanistan is concerned, as Dari is the majority language in the north.

Yeah but I meant among Pashto-speakers in the north.
The Dialects are basically as Vijay says though. The main differences are in the phonology of certain letters of the Pashto abjad. Especially ښ and ږ . There are some vocabulary and grammar differences too, but from what I understand those are less pronounced. Meera could probably give a better picture then me though.

From what I remember Meera saying, they're way, waaaaay more different than that and not necessarily mutually intelligible.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”