2017 blog - księżyc

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: 2016-2017 blog - księżyc

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-12, 11:06

Goals for Week 3/5-3/11
    Japanese
  • Complete Lesson 3 in 「みんなの日本語」 [Beginner I] by 3A
  • Complete Unit 5 in Basic Japanese by Hamano & Tsujioka

Hebrew
  • Complete Lessons 16-20 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.

Irish
  • Complete Lessons 3-4 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillion & Ó Cróinín

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-12, 13:31

I did slack off for about 2 days where I didn't do any language learning, which explains the lapses in Hebrew and Irish. :whistle:

I meant to explain this a bit more before, but forgot. I usually allow myself 1-2 days a week for life to get in the way, or to just take a break from language learning. [Of course if life takes up more than two days, it takes up more than two days. Sometimes there's no helping it.]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-15, 11:24

I'm thinking of adding some Pimsleur into the mix for Japanese and Irish. I've always liked Pimsleur as a way of helping with pronunciation and listening skills. I'm not sure about how much I'll do in a given week, or when I'll start it though.

Their recommendation is that you do one lesson a day..... :hmm:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-03-15, 15:17

księżycowy wrote:I'm thinking of adding some Pimsleur into the mix for Japanese and Irish. I've always liked Pimsleur as a way of helping with pronunciation and listening skills. I'm not sure about how much I'll do in a given week, or when I'll start it though.

The Pimsleur for Irish is good, it's just a shame there's not more of it. The speakers are from Kerry so you'll notice one or two slight differences from what you're learning in TYI.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-15, 17:19

That's good to know. It should go well with the Ó Sé grammars I have then.

It kills me as well that there isn't any more for the Irish course. It's gotten up to ten lessons now apparently, but that's still only a third of a typical "phase"/level in a Pimsleur course. Oh well. Anything is better than nothing when it comes to Munster.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-19, 13:20

Alrighty, let's see how I did!
Goals for Week 3/5-3/11
    Japanese
  • Complete Lesson 3 in 「みんなの日本語」 [Beginner I] by 3A
  • Complete Unit 5 in Basic Japanese by Hamano & Tsujioka ? (see below)

Hebrew
  • Complete Lessons 16-20 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.

Irish
  • Complete Lessons 3-4 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillion & Ó Cróinín

Notes:
Japanese- I honestly can't remember if I did Unit 5 in Basic Japanese or not. I did read some of Units 7 & 8 though. :P I count that as success. I did everything except for the exercises and workbook exercises for Lesson 3 of MnN. The speakers on the audio usually speak at regular speed, so I do have to replay the audio quite a few times to catch everything (which is to be expected at my current level), I think that's why I slowed down a bit this week. My biggest weekness at this point is numbers, and numbers with counters. Which, due to the way that MnN handles numbers (as an appendix in the back of the book! :x ), is no fault of mine.

Hebrew- I went through all the lessons I wanted to do. I'm still getting caught up on the assigned reading, but I'm not as concerned about that. So long as I keep 'em moving. Right now I'm reading Gen 22:1-14 (which was assigned over lessons 13-17). I've completed verses 1-10 so far. I think I might start posting my translations and glosses/parsing over in my Hebrew Readings thread. [Damn it, I shouldn't have started poking around the ACEL sub-forum, it's making wanderlust for other Ancient/Classical languages....]

Irish- I'm feeling quite comfortable with the Irish to English exercises. I'm still learning all the verb forms given so far, as well as remembering noun declensions now too.

Yearly goal check in bound:

Year-End Goals
    Hebrew
  1. Complete Lessons 1-55 and Review lessons 1-8* in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al. 20/55, 5/8, 40% Complete
  2. Read Biblical Texts

Japanese
  1. Complete Lessons 1-25 in 「みんなの日本語」 Minna No Nihongo [Beginner I] (Main text and Supp.) by 3A 3/24, 12% Complete
  2. Complete Lessons X-25 in 「みんなの日本語」 Minna no Nihongo [Beginner II] (Main Text and Supp.) by 3A
  3. Complete Units 1-25 in Basic Japanese by Hamano & Tsujioka 6/25, 24% Complete
  4. Read/Listen to/Watch news stories from NHK News Web Easy
  5. Complete Lessons 1-8 in Reading Japanese by Jorden & Chaplin [optional] 0.5/8, 6% Complete
  6. Read from Breaking into Japanese Literature, ed. Murray [optional]

German
  1. Complete Lessons 1-43 in Living German by Buckley, ed. Coggle
  2. Complete Units 1-29 in Basic German by Schenke, et, al.
  3. Read from New Penguin Parallel Short Stories in German, ed. Zillkens

Polish
  1. Complete Lessons 1-30 in First Year Polish (Main text & supp.) by Swan
  2. Complete Units 1-40 in Basic Polish by Bielec
  3. Read from Fifteen Modern Polish Short Stories, ed. Schenker

Irish
  1. Complete Lessons 1-27 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín 4/27, 15% Complete
  2. Read Munster literature (maybe some Ua Laoghaoire)
  3. Read sections relevant to Munster Irish in Modern Irish by Ó Siadhail
  4. Read from Teanga Bheo: Corca Dhuibhne by Ó Sé [optional]
  5. Read from Gaeilge Chorca Dhuibhne by Ó Sé [optional]

*I feel like I'm always forgetting a review chapter in Kittel, et al. This time it was the chapter entitled The Noun, found between Lessons 24 & 25. Oh, and I forgot it has 6 Review lessons (which are actually called "Review Lessons"), so yeah....Let's see what I forget next week! :lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-19, 13:42

I'm thinking it's a good opportunity to have a review week. And, depending on how that goes, I may move on to the next lesson(s) in the respective textbooks.

Goals for Week 3/5-3/11
    Japanese
  • Finnish Lesson 3 and Review Lessons 1-3 in 「みんなの日本語1」
  • Complete Units 5, 7 & 8 in Basic Japanese by Hamano & Tsujioka*
  • Listen to and Read at least one news story from NHK**
  • Complete Lesson 4 in 「みんなの日本語1」 by 3A [optional]

Hebrew
  • Input backlog of grammar cards into Anki
  • Review and finish Gen 22:1-14, Start Gen 28:10-29:10***
  • Complete Lessons 20-25 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al. [optional]

Irish
  • Finnish Lessons 3 & 4 and Review Lessons 1-4 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Listen to at least one program on TG4**
  • Complete Lessons 5-6 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillion & Ó Cróinín [optional]

*I'll review Units 7 & 8 in Hamano & Tsujioka and do the exercises. I didn't finish they yet. I'm not really committing these Units to memory yet, by the way. Just reading them and getting a sense for the grammar explanations at this point. I fully expect to keep going back to the grammar/workbook over the course of my study.

**Depending on the difficulty of the news article(s)/program(s), I'm not expecting to translate. Just to listen (and read), maybe even notice a few things along the way. I sure as hell don't expect to translate an Irish program!
And I know this (potentially) deviates a bit from my "Munster only" approach thus far. I figure any Irish is good, even though my focus will still be on Munster. The deeper I get, the more I'll have to deal with the other dialects and the CO anyway. Any recommendations are welcome!

***Only Gen 28:10-18 will be done this week, which will get me caught up with the reading assignments up to lesson 20 in Kittel, et al.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2017-03-19, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-19, 14:35

So, I was just poking around TG4 a bit this morning, and I think I'll watch some of those shorts on TG4 Foghliam. They have transcripts, so I can follow along. Not that I won't stick in the occasional episode from one of their other programs.

I was watching what appeared to be a 1/2-hour drama for a bit. They kept flavoring their Irish with English words and phrases. I imagine this is quite typical now-a-days.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-26, 13:02

Alrighty, let's see how last week went!

Goals for Week 3/5-3/11
    Japanese
  • Finish Lesson 3 and Review Lessons 1-3 in 「みんなの日本語1」~
  • Complete Units 5, 7 & 8 in Basic Japanese by Hamano & Tsujioka
  • Listen to and Read at least one news story from NHK
  • Complete Lesson 4 in 「みんなの日本語1」 by 3A [optional]

Hebrew
  • Review and finish Gen 22:1-14, Start Gen 28:10-29:10
  • Complete Lessons 20-25 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al. [optional]

Irish
  • Finish Lessons 3 & 4 and Review Lessons 1-4 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Listen to at least one program on TG4**
  • Complete Lessons 5-6 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillion & Ó Cróinín [optional]

Notes:
This week was interrupted by some things, so I didn't get a chance to do everything I had wanted.

Japanese- I did finish lesson 3, but did not get much of a chance to review. There is "review page A" between Lessons 3 &4, which I did, and I did quite well on. I only forgot about the particle も and the differences between 何 and どこ when asking about what a place is (like a place of employment, and asking what the company does). I did review from Units 5, 7-8 in Basic Japanese too.
I did not get to review my numbers either.

Irish - Unfortunately I did next to nothing with it this past week, aside from watching some TG4 early in the week. :(

Hebrew - I decided that i like working on the verses that Kittel, et al. assigns as a connected reading towards the end of the week (after I've gone through the lessons the verses were assigned). And for that reason, I didn't care if I got to Gen 28. I'm almost done with Gen 22:1-14. I have two more verses to translate and then I'm posting it on my reading thread. Hopefully later today.

As I did not get to any new lessons this past week, I'm not checking in with my yearly goals this time.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-26, 13:14

And now for this week's goals!

Goals for Week 3/26-4/1
    Japanese
  • Complete Lesson 4 in 「みんなの日本語1」
  • Review/Learn Numerals (with and without the counter for floors)

Hebrew
  • Finish Gen 22:13-14
  • Complete Lessons 20-R6 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.

Irish
  • Review Lessons 3-4 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Complete Lessons 5-6 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillion & Ó Cróinín

I'm keeping some of the review stuff there, like for Irish. I want to spend a day going through the audio only and work on my listening skills a bit. I'll pick lessons 3 & 4 for this purpose, because I'm pretty well confident with lessons 1 & 2. Other than that, I'm moving on,

księżycowy

Re: 2017 blog - księżyc

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-28, 21:17

As much as I love Kittel etc al. (And I do! I think it makes learning Hebrew as easy as possible!), I'm seeing the merits of going through Lambdin too. Probably after I'm done with Kittel (I have no intention of stopping Kittel), as a review and solidification of what I'm learning in Kittel.

The only question that yet remains is, do I want to do that this year, or hold off on it til next year?

We'll have to wait and see I guess. :hmm:

księżycowy

Re: 2017 blog - księżyc

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-01, 18:49

just thought I'd stop by and say, I finally got around to posting the rest of Gen 22:1-14 in my reading thread.

An Update is coming up tomorrow!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-02, 14:27

Update time!

Goals for Week 3/26-4/1
    Japanese
  • Complete Lesson 4 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」
  • Review/Learn Numerals (with and without the counter for floors)

Hebrew
  • Finish Gen 22:13-14
  • Complete Lessons 20-R6 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.

Irish
  • Review Lessons 3-4 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Complete Lessons 5-6 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillion & Ó Cróinín

Notes:
As will be seen below, I'm probably being a bit overoptimistic with regard to all the check-marks above and my percentages below, but I'd rather be a little overoptimistic and help that motivate me to continue than to be a wet blanket and stall completely.

Japanese - I have some loose ends to tie-up in regards to Lesson 4 in MnN [mostly the workbook work, and the tail end of the exercises in the main text], but I'm feeling more confident with the number system with counters now. Which is funny, considering I really didn't review the numbers much (and definitely didn't do anything with the counter for floors). Lesson 4 covered telling time, which I consider a bit more useful then telling someone what floor a certain department (as in a store) is on. :P I'll take it as a victory.

Hebrew - I'm one lesson shy of having completed my quota for the week. All that's left if reading the chapter on the noun.

Irish - I'm doing OK, but I feel like I need to keep up on Anki a bit better for all the grammar to stick into my head. Of course, this is true for all of my languages, but it's especially true of Irish.

Overall: Progress is slowing a bit, but that's partly my fault. :whistle: I'm still feeling good that about my progress and retention so far.

Yearly Goal Check Up!
    Hebrew
  1. Complete Lessons 1-55 and Review Lessons 1-8 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al. 24/55, 6/8, 48% Complete
  2. Read Biblical Texts

Japanese
  1. Complete Lessons 1-25 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 Minna No Nihongo Beginner I (Main text and Supp.) by 3A 4/25, 16% Complete
  2. Complete Lessons X-25 in 「みんなの日本語初級2」 Minna no Nihongo Beginner II (Main Text and Supp.) by 3A
  3. Complete Units 1-25 in Basic Japanese by Hamano & Tsujioka 7/25, 28% Complete
  5. Complete Lessons 1-8 in Reading Japanese by Jorden & Chaplin [optional] 0.5/8, 6% Complete

German

Polish

Irish
  1. Complete Lessons 1-27 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín 6/27, 22% Complete

Woohoo on marking it to the halfway point in Kittel! :partyhat: :partyhat: :partyhat: (Well, not quite halfway, but it's only 2% off! I should be there by next update, hopefully.)
Last edited by księżycowy on 2017-04-02, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-02, 14:50

Goals for Week 4/2-4/8
    Japanese
  • Finish Exercise C and Workbook Exercises for Lesson 4 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A
  • Complete Lesson 5 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A
  • Read Units 6 & 9 in Basic Japanese by Hamano & Tsujioka
  • Review/Learn Numerals (with and without the counter for floors and time) [optional]

Hebrew
  • Read the Chapter Entitled The Noun in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.
  • Complete Lessons 25-30 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.
  • Start Reading and Translating Gen 28:10-29:11

Irish
  • Review Lessons 1-6 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Complete Lessons 7-8 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillion & Ó Cróinín

Notes:
With regards to the review for Irish, I'm envisioning going through the audio for at least a couple of the review lessons and doing the exercises again. Especially the English to Irish exercises. I might also read the grammar sections again for a few lessons, pending how everything else goes. I'm mainly going to worry about Lessons 3-6, but it can't hurt to include a bit from Lessons 1 & 2.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-09, 15:27

There are going to be a lot of 's this time. Work was a bit lousy this week, and I just needed a break in general.

Goals for Week 4/2-4/8
    Japanese
  • Finish Exercise C and Workbook Exercises for Lesson 4 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A
  • Review/Learn Numerals (with and without the counter for floors and time) [optional]

Hebrew
  • Read the Chapter Entitled The Noun in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.
  • Complete Lessons 25-30 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.
  • Start Reading and Translating Gen 28:10-29:11

Irish

Notes:
I made it up to Review 5 in Kittel et al., so there was some progress in Hebrew, just not a ton. It was about 3 lessons.
Because of the lack of progress, I'm not checking in with my yearly goals this time.

My goals for this week will be largely the same. I'm actually going to set two sets of goals. One for week 4/9-15, and one for week 4/16-4/22, this is in anticipation of expanded study opportunity the week of Easter (4/16-4/22), as I have the week off (as well as 4/14, Good Friday). And I'm not doing much else Easter week.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-09, 15:39

Goals for Week 4/9-4/15
    Japanese

Hebrew
  • Complete Lessons 27-30 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.
  • Read and Translate Gen 28:10-29:11

Irish

Goals For 4/9 Through 4/22

Hebrew
  • Input backlog of Anki grammar cards
  • Get caught up with reading assignments out of Kittel, et al.

Irish
  • Review Lessons 1-8
  • Watch some TG4

The goals for Easter week are tentative, and may change, but at the moment, this is what I'm shooting for. I haven't added on my usual workload either, but I'm expecting to do my usual workload for my languages (e.g. 1 lesson for Japanese, 2 for Irish, and 5 for Hebrew) in addition to these goals. I'll see how it goes this week, and check in with them by the end of this week.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-18, 14:14

Sorry for the slight delay in posting my weekly update, it's been a busy weekend, and yesterday was Dyngus Day, so I haven't been able to do much. But I'm back!
Here's the summary for last weeks goals:

Goals for Week 4/9-4/15
    Japanese
  • Complete Lesson 5 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A 50%
  • Read Units 6 & 9 in Basic Japanese by Hamano & Tsujioka 50%

Hebrew
  • Complete Lessons 27-30 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al. 50%
  • Read and Translate Gen 28:10-29:11

Irish
  • Complete Lessons 7-8 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillion & Ó Cróinín 50%

Notes:
Not that bad, considering it was a little busier last week than I expected.

So, this year's goal check:
Year Goals
    Hebrew
  1. Complete Lessons 1-55 and Review Lessons 1-8 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al. 28/55, 7/8, 56% Complete
  2. Read Biblical Texts

Japanese
  1. Complete Lessons 1-25 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 Minna No Nihongo Beginner I (Main text and Supp.) by 3A 4/25, 16% Complete
  2. Complete Lessons 1-25 in 「みんなの日本語初級2」 Minna no Nihongo Beginner II (Main Text and Supp.) by 3A
  3. Complete Units 1-25 in Basic Japanese by Hamano & Tsujioka 8/25, 32% Complete

German

Polish

Irish
  1. Complete Lessons 1-27 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín 7/27, 26% Complete

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-18, 14:26

Goals For 4/18 Through 4/22
    Japanese
  • Finish Lesson 5 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A
  • Complete Lesson 6 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A
  • Review Lessons 1-5 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A [Mostly numbers, and a few grammar points]
  • Read/Listen to some news on NHK News Web Easy [optional]
  • Watch some Easy Japanese: Learn Japanese From the Streets[optional]

Hebrew
  • Get Caught up on reading assignments in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.*
  • Input backlog of Anki grammar cards
  • Complete Lesson 29-30 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al. [optional]

Irish
  • Finish off Lesson 7-8 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Review Lessons 1-8 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Watch some TG4
  • Complete Lesson 9-10 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín [optional]

Overall Goal
  • Get Anki decks caught up

Notes:
*These include: Gen 28:10-29:11 and Exodus 3:1-17.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-23, 18:41

It seems my goals where a little to lofty for me this week. Plus it didn't help that I wanted to relax for the first half of the week. But I digress. I'm not really going to even bother going over my goal check this time. I'm moving right into next weeks goals:

Goals For 4/23 Through 4/29
    Japanese
  • Complete Lesson 6 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A
  • Review Lessons 1-5 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A [Mostly the Reibun, Renshuu A, and grammar notes.]

Hebrew
  • Get Caught up on reading assignments in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.
  • Complete Lesson 29-30 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.

Irish
  • Finish off Lesson 7-8 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Complete Lesson 9-10 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín [optional]

[Basically I reviewed lessons 1-3 in Irish, and completed Lesson 5 in Japanese. Oh, and got a few verses of Gen 28:10-29:11 translated.]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-30, 12:16

I didn't get much of a chance to review this week, or to finish the goals I had set. There was an unforeseen circumstance that ended up killing one of our appliances. And since I'm the main one that has been the one using it, I've had to be the one to go and get a new one, so that has taken up a bit of time. The good news is, I've gotten back into my routine of doing all my languages daily, and working on them most days a week! :D

As for Irish, I had thought that I had completed Lesson 7, but no. No way did I complete it. :whistle:
These two lessons are jam packed, so I need another week or digest it all (not necessarily "fluently" memorize, but at least understand it). I have a feeling this will be how things will go from here. And, if so, I may switch to 1 lesson a week for Irish. We'll see.

As there hasn't been a ton of progress this week, I'll just move on to this current week's goals. I'm hoping to have some things checked off, and to be able to do a Year Goal check next update!

Goals For 4/30 Through 5/6
    Japanese
  • Finish Lesson 6 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A
  • Review Lessons 1-5 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A [Mostly the Reibun, Renshuu A, and grammar notes.]
  • Start (Complete?) Lesson 7 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A [optional]

Hebrew
  • Get Caught up on reading assignments in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.
  • Complete Lesson 30 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.

Irish
  • Finish Lessons 7-8 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Complete Lessons 9-10 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín [optional]

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”