The Broken Translation Game

This forum is for games of various sorts. Moderators may lock games that are too similar to already existing ones.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2006-03-10, 17:53

Passe-Cale wrote:Wow guys, this is cool! :D

Are you going to do this again? I definitely want to play next time.
I agree :)

I have been thinking and I think I am be able to translate in some languages. German to Dutch, Dutch to English, English to Dutch and French to Dutch.
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2006-03-10, 18:10

Like I had already told some people, I will only participate in the next edition as a part of the chain.

So, does anyone volunteer to organize "The Broken Translation Game - 2nd edition"? ;)
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Kuba

Postby Kuba » 2006-03-10, 18:37

Psi-Lord wrote:Kuba came up with the mountain (from Japanese takusan = 'much', 'many', 'very'), which Carlos changed from swampy (paludoso) to pale (pallido), and Bugi killed the king instead of just having him go away. :lol:

Oops - takusan :!: :idea: ... I'm used to see it only in Hiragana - hence the swamp mountain. :oops:
(Although I think that wasn't the only thing I screwed up. ;) But it was fun, though.)

BTW, if nobody else can do it, I could do the organising of the next edition. I have to point out, though, that I could do this not until the week after the next week, since I have quite much to do now (beginning of the semester).

darkina

Postby darkina » 2006-03-10, 18:43

Shibo77 wrote:This was fun! Thanks a million to Luís, who organised this whole thing.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I second this :D

I wouldn't mind organising the next round but I'm going to have some really busy days finally, even if I'll still have some days of unbusiness... but that'd be too tied to when I'm busy or not, so in the next 10 days at least it'll be impossible...
Let's see who can do it and with which conditions and then we'll see how to organise it all... I guess having two people to collaborate in that is not possible as one would never know with whom to send the translation...Hm...
век живи, век учись, а дураком помрешь

Pleasures remain, so does the pain

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2006-03-10, 18:59

Darky wrote:
Shibo77 wrote:This was fun! Thanks a million to Luís, who organised this whole thing.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I second this :D

I fully agree. Luís, you did an excellent job! :D
Please correct my mistakes!

Adina

Postby Adina » 2006-03-10, 19:57

Yes, great job, Luís! =D :D

Um, if anyone organizes the next game, I may not have computer acess until next Wednesday, but I could go between English, German, and Klingon (if anyone else who's interested even speaks/reads that).
http://saretaku.blogspot.com/ | saỉ-yọ-thnn hå : hope
And now also: | Lunarian

Junesun

Postby Junesun » 2006-03-10, 21:37

Luís wrote:Like I had already told some people, I will only participate in the next edition as a part of the chain.

So, does anyone volunteer to organize "The Broken Translation Game - 2nd edition"? ;)

I will. I'll make a new thread though, since this one is getting too long. Everybody interested in participating please post / re-post the languages they can do there.

New thread: http://home.unilang.org/main/forum/viewtopic.php?p=184643

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-03-10, 22:31

Ioannes wrote:A question to Hunef, though, is why he added the "'s in the second line. That was really confusing. And there was a sentence with "I hope you get sick, blabla, because, ..., when you go to hell" that didn't make sense. I wonder if you knew what you were translating :P I sure as hell didn't:D

I should have been more consistent with the ".

Since the version I translated was kind of messed up and nonsense, my translation became nonsense. I didn't have time to interpret what the text said. I left that to you. ;)
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-03-10, 22:35

Junesun wrote:Anyways it was a lot of fun and a great experience!

Imho the translations show that things can only become really interesting (read: messed up) when non-European languages are involved, so let's look to enter more of them into the equation. Also, I'm strictly against setting a rule that only people with an excellent understanding of both languages should translate - where's the fun in that? However, translations should be completely quickly.

Optimally, the translatotion shouldn't be extremely accurate nor extremely poor, but kund of "OK". (I either have very good knowledge or very bad knowledge in languages, so I am not the optimal participant in this game.) The translation should also be made quickly.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Egein

Postby Egein » 2006-03-11, 3:12

Oh! Dear!

People of the Unilang! I'm so very sorry! I had no idea all this time people had been talking about me.

I'm very sorry I was the weakest (or slowest) link in the chain. ... :oops:

Unfortunately. U started working last week, 20h a week, which is alot for me, since I had never worked and gone to school at the same time before. So now I'm learning to cope with that. I did post on unilang, and I did have 15 minutes, but I felt I needed more time and most of all more concentration to do it.

Boy oh boy I'm sorry guys!
how about this..if Egein doesn't translate by March 10th, somebody's gotta translate for him.

Damn! I wish you could have listened to him. I have time now!

Oh well.

Sorry again, chicos.

Blessaðir.
(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

Sander

Postby Sander » 2006-03-11, 11:05

Egein wrote:Oh! Dear!

I'm very sorry

Boy oh boy I'm sorry guys!

Sorry again

Oh, I can't stay mad at you :oops:

darkina

Postby darkina » 2006-03-11, 14:59

People of the Unilang! I'm so very sorry! I had no idea all this time people had been talking about me

Didn't you feel your ears buzzing or your nose tickling or whatever you consider to be the sign when people talk behind your back? ;)

Sido

Postby Sido » 2006-03-11, 20:59

Thanks a lot Luis.
That was a very nice game !!

Darky, which word bothered you ?
Dépêchons nous d'en rire avant que d'en pleurer!

Strigo

Postby Strigo » 2006-03-11, 23:04

Lol, I traslated "paludosa" (it) as "pálida" (sp)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

Egein

Postby Egein » 2006-03-12, 0:14

Darky wrote:
People of the Unilang! I'm so very sorry! I had no idea all this time people had been talking about me

Didn't you feel your ears buzzing or your nose tickling or whatever you consider to be the sign when people talk behind your back? ;)

I'm afraid I have no spidy sens tingling (or..tickling?).

I'm a rather lunatic person in real life. So often I don't even know people are talking to me if they are in my face.

It was hopeless right from the beginning.... :arrow:
(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

Stan

Postby Stan » 2006-03-12, 2:23

Honestly the final text wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.
if I was President,
I'd get elected on Friday
assassinated on Saturday
buried on Sunday

darkina

Postby darkina » 2006-03-12, 13:41

Sido wrote:Darky, which word bothered you ?

Когда священник увидел что Король снова успокоился, прерывал свой рассказ.

I didn't understand why it said he "interrupted his story" when he was obviously starting it again. And I didn't find any other meaning for that word which would fit.
Now I see that in the original it was the priest interrupting the king. I think that sentence changed place during the Japanese or German translation, as the one before German is still like the original while German started the version which you followed in Russian and I translated and passed on :)

Sido

Postby Sido » 2006-03-12, 21:34

Darky wrote:
Sido wrote:Darky, which word bothered you ?

Когда священник увидел что Король снова успокоился, прерывал свой рассказ.

I didn't understand why it said he "interrupted his story" when he was obviously starting it again. And I didn't find any other meaning for that word which would fit.
Now I see that in the original it was the priest interrupting the king. I think that sentence changed place during the Japanese or German translation, as the one before German is still like the original while German started the version which you followed in Russian and I translated and passed on :)

Quite right, I also did not understand: the interruption was clearly in the German Text, so according to the rules I had to translate it, though it did not make any sense since nobody was talking at the time (The King angry with bloody eyes and the priest waiting). The question was which story was interrupted ?
The priest's in which case Он прерывал свой рассказ.
The King's in which case Он прерывал его рассказ
То be frank, I completely missed the point and used the first form without further question. I should have thought about that, in which case it would probably have finished with "head and tails" (pile ou face) since I definitely had no clue. Thinking back about it, yet the second seems more logical since the priest interrupted the king's wrath , if not his story, so I should probably have written
прерывал его рассказ
Dépêchons nous d'en rire avant que d'en pleurer!

Return to “Games”