Think of new, absurd or funny language theories

This forum is for games of various sorts. Moderators may lock games that are too similar to already existing ones.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

GothicSp
Think of new, absurd or funny language theories

Postby GothicSp » 2014-09-29, 12:00

Often in linguistic discussions we can see the most ridiculous theories. Although often they are not wished in a topic, in this topic they are wished. This is how it works:

1. take a language, for example Basque.

2. Come up with an origin of the language of the people, examples here are: China, Georgia, Japan, the Native Americans.

3. Come up with theories why you think they are related, the most interesting one are word-coincidences, for example: Basque originates from South America because there are similar words (we know that of course the Basques have had influence in South America, but reversing history can be funny in this topic). You can do this by: comparing words (you could claim that the Irish are from Iran because both names contain "ir"), comparing grammar, comparing

4. Explain how the original language originated your subject-language. For example: South Americans have built a giant ship, they went to Basque while the French and Spanish were not around so that there is no document in which the connection is written down, then they put some of their own people between the Basques and they sailed back.

You don't need to use the laws of science. Ridiculous theories like Atlantis or teleportation can be used too.

Why this topic? Because it might become fun and I wonder which coincidental connections between languages will be able to make. The only rule is no discrimination.

This topic is a reference to ridiculous language theories taken seriously while we make up our own ridiculous theories here, this is ok, but making fun of a language is different from making fun of people. It is not allowed to make fun of ethnicity here. Moderators should decide how far people can go in making fun of countries, but I recommend to stick to language.

ling

Re: Think of new, absurd or funny language theories

Postby ling » 2014-09-29, 13:14

Whatever superfamily Basque is posited to belong to, Burushaski and Etruscan also belong to it.
Native: [flag=]en[/flag] Advanced: [flag=]zh[/flag] Actively studying: [flag=]th[/flag][flag=]id[/flag] Passively dabbling: [flag=]lkt[/flag]

GothicSp

Postby GothicSp » 2014-10-02, 10:37

ling wrote:Whatever superfamily Basque is posited to belong to, Burushaski and Etruscan also belong to it.

Your post seem serious but the idea of this topic is to create nonsense theories about languages.

Jugoslavia123

Postby Jugoslavia123 » 2015-04-14, 20:15

The articles in Romance languages come from Arabic.

Arabic Al sounds almost like El in Spanish!

Actually Romance languages are pidgins of Latin spoken by Arabs.

Therefore all Romance languages are Semitic.

md0

Postby md0 » 2015-04-14, 21:04

Not in the format described in the first post, but this is a joke theory between my peers:

Greek is essentially Turkish with -i added to the end of words.
maraz-i, cep-i, barut-i etc

Turkish is essentially Greek with i- added at the beginning of words.
i-sgara, i-klim, ı-spanak etc
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Return to “Games”