The Broken Translations Game 6

This forum is for games of various sorts. Moderators may lock games that are too similar to already existing ones.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Nounoursette

Postby Nounoursette » 2007-07-22, 8:32

As usal the result is very funny :lol:

I agree this is the purpose of this game anyway :wink:
French: mother tongue
English: proficient
Dutch: intermediate
Japanese: beginner

Levo

Postby Levo » 2007-07-22, 12:49

Aleco wrote:"I'll put in a fridge, an oven, a whole new kitchen"

turned into with just three translations between:

"Eg vil liggja i ei kald kiste på bordet i stua mi. I ei varm kiste au, nyleg flislagt"
"I want to lay in a cold coffin on the table in my livingroom. In a warm coffin as well, newly tiled"

:biglol:

I feel dumb... :dimwit:

:LOL: :D:D

Almar

Postby Almar » 2007-07-22, 13:42

English (Benjamin)
Hello ! What ? And you Rose ? (what about you Rose ??) Yeah yeah they came... Good, or not ? A million ! in fact they are for me, i can't believe it happened this way. A million ! To speak directly.

Old Norse (Cymro)
Heill! Hvat? Ok þú Rose? (Hvat ert þik, Rose?) Já já þeir koma... stórr, já? Þeir eru mín, ek trý eigi er þat verða líki þessi. Mæla.

What? The Old Norse doesn't make any sense at all to me. My Icelandic eyes would read this as:

Hello! What? And you Rose? (What are you, Rose?) Yes yes they come... big, yes? They are mine, I don't believe that this becomes the corpse of that. Measure.

Where's that million?
asdf

Egein

Postby Egein » 2007-07-22, 16:50

That's the worst old norse I've (ever) read. No cases, no gender!
(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

Strigo

Postby Strigo » 2007-07-22, 17:01

Egein wrote:That's the worst old norse I've (ever) read. No cases, no gender!

Well, our translations weren't that good either...

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2007-07-22, 19:24

Hey, there's no need to be like that... :boo:
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-07-22, 20:57

Cymro wrote:I think you should check your facts before opening your mouth, Hunef. I did look in 2 dictionaries. Oven was not there in either.

Which dictionaries?

Cymro wrote:Anyway, why are you complaining so much when this sort of error through idiomatic expression is expected in this game? It's not like I'm claiming to be the world's leading expert on Old Norse, neither am I implying that I am. Nor is there a prize for getting the translation as close to the original as possible. Error is expected, or there would be no point in playing it.

Yes, errors are expected. But in this case there was no error, just an original invention of a word. I am not sure which the policies are when participating in the game. I would personally not invent a word like 'hot chest' if I lacked the English word oven. Instead I would perhaps use the related word stove or fireplace. I prefer a correct language with slightly wrong meaning (with respect to the original language) before mock language.

Cymro wrote:And what would you do in a situation where you couldn't find that word in a dictionary? Would you just leave it blank and hope that the next person sees that the word "oven" is implied in the context? No. You'd try and express something that you would have hoped someone who had a slight bit of intelligence could understand.

This game isn't about intelligence and inventing words, it's about trying as hard as possible to write something that is linguistically correct. As I wrote above, I prefer a correct language with slightly wrong meaning before mock language - if one doesn't know the word 'oven', then write e.g. 'stove' 8slightly wrong meaning but an existing word) instead of "hot chest" (mock language)! :lol:
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-07-22, 20:59

Aleco wrote:

Well, he's just stating a fact, he's not being disparaging. But he could have added that he wishes good luck to Cymro in his effort to learn Old Norse.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-07-22, 21:02

Almar wrote:Where's that million?

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. He could have invented (sic!) a word for 'million' if he didn't find it in the dictionaries. :lol:
Carl Sagan

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2007-07-22, 21:18

Hunef wrote:
Aleco wrote:

Well, he's just stating a fact, he's not being disparaging. But he could have added that he wishes good luck to Cymro in his effort to learn Old Norse.

That's what thought as well... I just didn't know how to express myself :P I had to leave, you see :roll:
Last edited by Aleco on 2007-07-23, 9:06, edited 1 time in total.
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Egein

Postby Egein » 2007-07-22, 21:51

I think it's not o.k. to say you can translate into a language in this game when you don't even take into account gender, number, case, declensions and such.
They are crucial!
(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

Passe-Cale

Postby Passe-Cale » 2007-07-22, 23:25

Hunef wrote:I am not sure which the policies are when participating in the game.

I'm pretty sure "do not complain every step of the way" was an informal policy of a gane where we try to have fun.

Passe-Cale

Postby Passe-Cale » 2007-07-26, 16:51

Yesterday I have gotten from the library the german and arabic versions of the play, the english was not available, next time I'll get it.

Schwesterherzchen

Germaine Lauzon: Hallo? Ach du bist's Rose. Na klar sind sie gekommen, toll, was?! Eine Million! Da steh'n sie vor mir, ich kann's immer noch nicht fassen! Eine Million! Ich weiß auch nicht recht, wieviel da ist, abec wenn man sagt "eine Milion", dann hört der Spaß auf! Jaja, 'nen Katalog ham sie mir auch mitgeschickt. Ich hatte zwar schon einen, aber der da ist won diesem Jahr, das ist natürlich viel besser. Der alte war schon ganz zerfleddert. Da sind tolle Sachen drin, das mußt du dir ansehen! Ich glaub', ich nehm' alles, was drin ist. Ich werd' die ganze Wohnung neu reinrichten. Herd, Kühlschrank, Küchenzeile.

Compared to Bolek's 13th translation :
Hallo! Was? Und du, Rosa? (Was ist los mit dir, Rosa?) Ja, ja, es ist gut... Es ist groß, richtig? Ich habe es, ich denke, dass es niemand gibt der etwas im Gegensatz zu das hat. Sprechen. Jedoch ich kann nicht feststellen, wieviel alles zusammen ist und ich lüge nicht. Es gibt keinen Ausgang. Ich habe einen Ausgang und er, der es hat, ist schon ausgegangen, das besser ist. Es ist ein neues Buch. Ja, ein großer Teil des Ganzes. Ich will ein Haus bauen. Ich will in einem Kasten auf dem Tisch, auf meinem Bett sein. Also in einem kalten Kasten, der ein bisschen gefliest ist.

Compared to Sido's 21th translation :
Hallo ! Was sagst tu ? Bist du es, Rose ? Ja, ganz gut. Dies ist eine große Sache. Er sagt daß, wenn
der Besitzer nicht vor ihm da gewesen wäre, niemand mich geglaubt hätte.
Ich weiß aber nicht vieviele Leute dieselbe Ideen wie mich haben. Oder, ich kenne niemanden mit denselben Ideen wie ich. Ich lüge aber nicht. Es gibt keinen Ausweg. Ich fliehe nicht vor mich selbst und der Besitzer ist gut, weil er nicht verfügbar ist. Es ist dieses neue Buch. Ja, dieses Buch gehört der Gruppe. Ich möchte ein Haus machen. Und ich möchte ihn in mein Bett setzen. Und kaltblütig ein bisschen mit einem Flugzeug fahren.

Edit: I do know that we can't really compare them, as when they got it the whole meaning had changed. But still, for fun. :)

FiliusLunae

Postby FiliusLunae » 2007-07-26, 20:25

Awesome. I had a lot of fun translation into Romansh. ;)

~FILIUS
My Hebrew journey in pictures — http://instagram.com/filius_lunae

darkina

Postby darkina » 2007-07-26, 22:38

Egein wrote:I think it's not o.k. to say you can translate into a language in this game when you don't even take into account gender, number, case, declensions and such.
They are crucial!

Well that was my perplexity when the game started, as I thought we should languages we are ok with, the mistakes will come anyway... but then people said it would be no fun so let's all translate from languages we barely know, that's why they invented dictionaries for...
(not talking of the case in question because I'm not sure what the polemic is about, but just in general).
век живи, век учись, а дураком помрешь

Pleasures remain, so does the pain

Nero

Postby Nero » 2007-07-26, 23:05

I think it might be fun.

For instance I don't speak a word of Esperanto, but I know enough Latin/Spanish (and could always find an online dictionary) to translate an Esperanto paragraph into another language. Will there be mistakes? Oh, almost definitely. But still possible to translate without too much trouble.

Passe-Cale

Postby Passe-Cale » 2007-07-27, 3:18

الآن العربية

السلايف

جيرمين لوزون: ألو! هاه! هذه أنت يا روز... نعم، لقد وصلت... جبر سار، أليس كذلك، تصوري مليون طابع! إنها أمامي هنا، وأنا لا أصدق عيني حتى الآن! مليون طابع! لا أدري بالضبط كم يعني هذا، واكن عندما تقولين مليون، تعرفين إن الأمر ليس مزاحاً! نعم لقد أعطوني كاتالوجاً معها. كان لدي سابقاً كاتالوح، ولكن هذا الأخير هو السنة الحالية وهذا يعني أنه أفضل بكثير... الكاتالوج الآخر كان متهرئاً تماماً... نعم، يوجد ما يكفي من الأشياء الجميلة، عليك مشاهدتها! شيء لا يصدق! أعتقد أنه ستكون في وسعي الحصول على كل ما هو موجود في الكاتالوج. سأجدد أثاث منزلي كله! سأقتني طباخاً كهربائياً وثلاجة، و "طقماً" لغرفة الطعام

Brenda

Postby Brenda » 2007-07-27, 5:51

Nero wrote:I think it might be fun.

For instance I don't speak a word of Esperanto, but I know enough Latin/Spanish (and could always find an online dictionary) to translate an Esperanto paragraph into another language. Will there be mistakes? Oh, almost definitely. But still possible to translate without too much trouble.

I wouldn't dare do it with Esperanto unless I had at least a basic knowledge of its grammar. It's not just about throwing the words together in any way and just hope that it will be understandable.

[IMHO] I more or less think like Darkina. Altough it shouldn't be required that one really [s]speaks[/s] the language, and mistakes are bound to arise (and wanted, too), some knowledge of the target language language should be expected from the participants.
As an example, I would dare to translate to/from Portuguese even without being able to speak it. But it's very closely related to Spanish AND to a certain degree I am acquainted with it (had classes for a couple of years at school - learnt nothing). Dictionaries are to be used, but just with a dictionary it's completely impossible to produce acceptable results. [/IMHO]

BTW, I will take part in the next game of these series. I really look forward to it.

Balaur

Postby Balaur » 2007-07-27, 6:14

Nero wrote:I think it might be fun.

I think a little arrogance here and there (not too much, of course) makes the game more fun. For example, I hardly speak any Spanish, but it's close enough to Romanian to recognize most of the vocabulary, I'm familiar with the basic grammar, and I have so many resources, that I could provide a pretty accurate translation from Spanish to another language, and I plan to state in the next game (when will that start, by the way? :wink:) that I am capable of doing so.
Vă rog să mă corectați dacă fac o greșeală în orice limbă. // Вэ рог сэ мэ коректаць дакэ фак о грешялэ ын орьче лимбэ. // Please correct me if I make a mistake in any language. // Bitte korrigiert mich, wenn ich einen Fehler in irgendeiner Sprache mache. // 請改正我任何語言中的錯誤。 // 请改正我任何语言中的错误。 // Παρακαλώ να με διορθώνουν αν κάνω ένα λάθο σε οποιηδήποτε γλώσσα.

nighean-neonach

Postby nighean-neonach » 2007-07-27, 8:37

Egein wrote:I think it's not o.k. to say you can translate into a language in this game when you don't even take into account gender, number, case, declensions and such.
They are crucial!

There are lots of native speakers who don't take gender / number / case into account in everyday speech :roll:
Heavens, this is a game - for fun!
Writing poetry in: Scottish Gaelic, German, English.
Reading poetry in: Latin, Old Irish, French, Ancient Greek, Old Norse.
Talking to people in the shop in: Lithuanian, Norwegian, Irish Gaelic, Saami.
Listening to people talking in the shop in: Icelandic, Greenlandic, Finnish.

Return to “Games”