Best Way to Learn West Frisian?

Moderators:Dminor, Reinder

Astrum
Best Way to Learn West Frisian?

Postby Astrum » 2015-07-26, 1:41

Hello!

I'm interested in learning West Frisian (as a complete beginner), but I do not speak Dutch. The only Germanic languages I know are English and Norwegian, in addition to what is probably sub-B2-level German. I've noticed edufrysk.com mentioned a couple of times on here, but it's sadly not available in English. What would be the best resources (both free and paid) for a beginner? I've also studied (and I know) several other non-Germanic languages, so I'm somewhat used to learning new languages.

Thanks a bunch! :)

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Best Way to Learn West Frisian?

Postby Reinder » 2015-07-26, 19:20

Hi Astrum!

I am very lucky to be a native speaker, so I never had to learn West Frisian, because that would probably have been a big challenge because of the lack of resources.

I just started googling, and looking at some pages that might be useful. Actually Omniglot also gives some links to some webpages, which might be interesting.
  • West Frisian phrasebook - This seems to be a phrasebook with many West Frisian sentences. It is also among the links that Omniglot gives. The few sentences I just read are written very well in a perfect West Frisian.
  • Also this page seems to be quite useful where you can learn specific vocabulary. By clicking for example on "fruit" you get the names of different fruits in West Frisian with its English and French translation.
  • Finally, I have seen this website various times among links to learn West Frisian. It seems to be a kind of podcast or something, but I have never really tried it.
I can't tell you if any of that would really work, but I can say that they all seem to be made by Frisians, which means that at least you'll learn from native speakers.

Anyway, if you have any questions, just contact me, I'll do my best to answer any questions you have about anything.
Image Image Image Image | Image | Image

Astrum

Postby Astrum » 2015-07-26, 23:08

Awesome -- thanks for the links! I'll let you know if any questions pop up.

Thanks again!

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Reinder » 2015-07-27, 20:35

Astrum wrote:Awesome -- thanks for the links! I'll let you know if any questions pop up.

Thanks again!

No problem, I'll be glad to help you. :D
Image Image Image Image | Image | Image

Wario Toad 32

Postby Wario Toad 32 » 2015-10-18, 19:31

Astrum wrote:Hello!

I'm interested in learning West Frisian (as a complete beginner), but I do not speak Dutch. The only Germanic languages I know are English and Norwegian, in addition to what is probably sub-B2-level German. I've noticed edufrysk.com mentioned a couple of times on here, but it's sadly not available in English. What would be the best resources (both free and paid) for a beginner? I've also studied (and I know) several other non-Germanic languages, so I'm somewhat used to learning new languages.

Why do you want to learn West Frisian? It's quite hard to find places to learn it on the Internet because it's not spoken by very many people.

As you may know all the Frisian Dialects are part of the West Germanic Family which includes...........

WEST GERMANIC LANGUAGES AND DIALECTS

- English

- Dutch (Standard Dutch, Flemish, Afrikaans)

- German (Standard German, Low German, Swiss German)

- Luxembergish

- Frisian (West, North, Saterland)

Astrum

Postby Astrum » 2016-03-13, 5:07

Wario Toad 32 wrote:
Astrum wrote:Hello!

Why do you want to learn West Frisian? It's quite hard to find places to learn it on the Internet because it's not spoken by very many people.

As you may know all the Frisian Dialects are part of the West Germanic Family which includes...........

WEST GERMANIC LANGUAGES AND DIALECTS

- English

- Dutch (Standard Dutch, Flemish, Afrikaans)

- German (Standard German, Low German, Swiss German)

- Luxembergish

- Frisian (West, North, Saterland)
Oh, wow -- sorry for the super-late reply. I haven't been on here for ages!

As for why I want to learn West Frisian: I really love the phones, phonemes and intonation. Listening to West Frisian music (such as the band Twarres) made me realize how beautiful the language is. I also enjoy learning skills that not "everyone" has. :)

Thanks for your reply!

Return to “Frisian (Frysk/Friisk/Fräisk)”