Need a sentence in Frisian for an art project

Moderators:Dminor, Reinder

LoneWolf
Need a sentence in Frisian for an art project

Postby LoneWolf » 2009-04-05, 0:14

So here’s the thing, I’m in college presently studying in art. For one of my courses I have to make an art project which is socially involved. Being a language freak, I chose as a subject to treat about endangered languages and cultures.

Now, for my project I wanted to include sentences in as many of these dying languages as possible. Therefore, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone of you could give me a meaningful sentence in Frysk or any other endangered or newly revived language.
More precisely, I’m looking for a sentence that reflects the identity of the endangered language and/or people. It could be a saying in the threatened language, a nationalistic slogan, or simply a made up sentence which summarizes well the idea that all humans are equal and have the right to be. For example, in Gaeilge (Irish):
‘Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam’ (a country without a language is a country without a soul)

Also, please write in the script which is usual for the language.

I’ll take the time to mention as well that I do not want any hateful messages or slogans. I believe hate does not solve any problems, it only generates more destruction. Hence, I trust your input on this matter.

By the way, I have posted this message at a few other places on Unilang. I want to get the most languages included in the project as possible.

Thank you very much for your kind help!

Dminor
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Need a sentence in Frisian for an art project

Postby Dminor » 2009-04-05, 19:56

There is one famous sentence that seems to be appropriate:

Bûter, brea en griene tsiis: wa't dat net sizze kin is gjin oprjochte Fries.
"Butter, pumpernickel and green cheese: who can't say that is not a real Frisian."

As you might guess from the meaning it's a shibboleth, and you can read more about its history here. :) Of course there are other sayings if you think this one doesn't fit your purposes well enough.
काव्यशास्त्रविनोदेन कालो गच्छति धीमताम् । व्यसनेन च मूर्खाणां निद्रया कलहेन वा

Boes

Postby Boes » 2009-04-05, 20:16

LoneWolf wrote:So here’s the thing, I’m in college presently studying in art. For one of my courses I have to make an art project which is socially involved. Being a language freak, I chose as a subject to treat about endangered languages and cultures.

Well for accuracy's sake; West Frisian isn't endangered. It's pretty much thriving. It has more speakers today than it ever had historically ... :wink:

As for your sentence; I think Dminors proposal is great, it's the most famous sentence and has some humor. But if you want a more 'serious*' one, try "leaver dea as slaef" (better dead than a slave) which is written on a memorial stone near Warns, where the Frisians probably won the only battle they ever fought against the Dutch.

*Of course the other one is pretty serious too, given the fact that anyone who couldn't pronounce it was in serious problems ... :P

Dminor
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dminor » 2009-04-05, 20:52

Another one came to mind that isn't famous at all, but probably more appropriate for your project because it's available in other dialects of Frisian that are endangered as well. It's a quote by Jakob Tholund, who has published on North Frisian. I took it from here.

North Frisian
We san frasche. Än frasche wan we uk bliwe.
Mån we schan uler ferjeese: Tujarst än tuleest san we manschne.

East Frisian
Wi sunt Fräisen. Un Fräisen wo wi uk bliue.
Man wi schällen siläärge nit ferjeete: Toueerst un toulääst sunt wi Moanskene.

West Frisian
Wy binne Friezen. En Friezen wolle wy ek bliuwe.
Mar wy moatte nea ferjitte: Earst en lêst binne wy minsken.

Translation:
We are Frisians. And Frisians we want to remain.
But we should never forget: At first and at last we are men.
काव्यशास्त्रविनोदेन कालो गच्छति धीमताम् । व्यसनेन च मूर्खाणां निद्रया कलहेन वा

Return to “Frisian (Frysk/Friisk/Fräisk)”