Frisian

Moderators:Dminor, Reinder

Æxylis
Frisian

Postby Æxylis » 2007-12-22, 19:30

I would like to discuss this language a bit, as I've heard it's supposed to be fairly close to english but I didn't see it in the other languages
Если хочешь говорить со мной по скайпу, мой скайп нейм - jaakuuta
If you want to speak with me on Skype, my Skype name is jaakuuta

Elyse

Postby Elyse » 2007-12-23, 0:30

Frisian, ah ,yes.
I hear it much but spoken it sometimes does not make much sence thoguh written it often makes sence to a native Dutch speaker. It is an official language I believe they even write the Harry Potter books in it but there are also many dialect in it.
it is also spoken in a small part of both Germany and Denmark but most speakers live in the Netherlands.

a example of a Frisian sentence:
wa't dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries
who can not say that, is no true Frisian

would be indeed nice to see more about it.

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2007-12-23, 9:57

I thought "Fries" was "Frysk"? :P

We have a Frisian expert here! He's rather active, but of course I can't remember his nickname :oops:
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Nukalurk

Postby Nukalurk » 2007-12-23, 9:59

I think it's Dminor! :)

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2007-12-23, 10:00

Yeah, there you have it! :oops:
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Æxylis

Postby Æxylis » 2007-12-23, 14:31

mmm.... fries (:lol: j/k)
sounds good...

yes, this looks like an interesting language

Elyse

Postby Elyse » 2007-12-23, 18:43

I believe you only use Frysk when it's about the language and Fries when it's about a Frisian person but in Dutch the Frisian language is called Fries, so that migth confused you :wink:
it's a very interesting language I think !

Dminor
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dminor » 2007-12-27, 2:36

Good to see people interested in Frisian here! :D Maybe we'll make it to a separate forum one day. 8)

I've been studying Frisian for a long time, and am now at a near-native level. I have various books about and in the language, but my most important resource is my family, which exists almost entirely of Frisians! :D I'll be glad to help. My first help will be providing you all with an earlier thread of mine: http://home.unilang.org/main/forum/view ... hp?t=20057. If you subscribe before 2008 (so within four days!) you'll get free access to a lot of Frisian learning material for a month! Also, I've been posting all of my messages bilingually for half a year or so, in English and Frisian. I grew tired of that, partially because no one seemed to care about it, but I could start doing it again if you want. 8)

---

Moai om te sjen dat der hjirre minsken har ynteressearje foar it Frysk! :D Faaks kinne wy it noch ris oan in eigen forum ta skoppe. 8)

Ik haw no gâns in hoart Frysk studearre, en myn nivo is wyls dat fan in memmetaalsprekker allyk. Ik haw ferskate boeken oer en yn de taal, mar myn wichtichste ynformaasjeboarne is dochs wol myn famylje, dy't hast hielendal út Friezen bestiet! :D Ik soe jim graach helpe. Myn earste help sil bestean út it jaan fan in eardere tried fan my: http://home.unilang.org/main/forum/view ... hp?t=20057. Aste dy foar 2008 (binnen fjouwer dagen dus!) oanmeldst, krijst in moanne fergees tagong ta in soad materiaal om Frysk mei learen! Ek haw ik in healjier of sa myn berjochten twatalich skreaun, yn it Ingelsk en it Frysk. Dêr hie ik myn nocht fan ôf, diels om't der net ien om like te jaan, mar as jimme wolle soe ik der wol wer mei begjinne kinne. 8)
काव्यशास्त्रविनोदेन कालो गच्छति धीमताम् । व्यसनेन च मूर्खाणां निद्रया कलहेन वा

Æxylis

Postby Æxylis » 2007-12-27, 13:05

thanks
looks like a mix between dutch and some nordic language ;)

that'd be kewl if I could see it written more
I'm checking that link out

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2008-03-06, 16:18

Dminor wrote:Good to see people interested in Frisian here! :D Maybe we'll make it to a separate forum one day. 8)

I've been studying Frisian for a long time, and am now at a near-native level. I have various books about and in the language, but my most important resource is my family, which exists almost entirely of Frisians! :D I'll be glad to help. My first help will be providing you all with an earlier thread of mine: http://home.unilang.org/main/forum/view ... hp?t=20057. If you subscribe before 2008 (so within four days!) you'll get free access to a lot of Frisian learning material for a month! Also, I've been posting all of my messages bilingually for half a year or so, in English and Frisian. I grew tired of that, partially because no one seemed to care about it, but I could start doing it again if you want. 8)

That eduFrysk site looks incredible. I wish there was something like that for Scottish Gaelic! :wink: It's a pity there's not more people interested when there's such a good resource available.

0stsee

Frysk

Postby 0stsee » 2008-03-07, 0:07

Dminor wrote:I've been studying Frisian for a long time, and am now at a near-native level. I have various books about and in the language, but my most important resource is my family, which exists almost entirely of Frisians!

I don't really get it.
Your family is made up almost entirely of Frisians, yet you had to study it for a long time to reach a near-native level?
So your family had been speaking to you in another language?
Ini tandatanganku.

krix

Re: Frysk

Postby krix » 2008-03-24, 2:18

0stsee wrote:I don't really get it.
Your family is made up almost entirely of Frisians, yet you had to study it for a long time to reach a near-native level?

Well the pressure in European nation-states to be monolingual is quite high... That's how it went in East Friesia, it is almost completely gone, and in North Friesia, people are shifting from Low German to High German already, so as long as the position of Low German was still intact the pressure was more to learn Low German and High German properly.... But Dutch people have told me that the pressure in the Netherlands to shift from West Friesian to Dutch is comparable to to what is happening in Germany (by pressure I don't mean coercion, but a mix of soft factors).

My alma mater was actually the only university in Germany with a fully functional Friesian Department, with two permanent posts, one taken up by a Dutchman (who is a native speaker of West Friesian) and a Scotsman who speaks English, High German, Low German, High Danish, Low German and a variety of North Friesian dialects...

I remember the names for various islands' dialects (hopefully correctly):

Sylt : Sölring
Amrum: Amring
Föhr: Fehring
Heligoland: Halunder

nighean-neonach

Postby nighean-neonach » 2008-03-24, 9:21

0stsee wrote:I don't really get it.

Welcome to the social reality of minority languages. For example, there are lots of people from Gaelic families in Scotland who were not brought up with the language, although their parents (or one parent) spoke it to some other people. So, while they might have picked up a few words here and there, they had to study the language from scratch when they were adults, to get to a good, fluent, near-native level.
The Frisian language is in a very similar situation.
Writing poetry in: Scottish Gaelic, German, English.
Reading poetry in: Latin, Old Irish, French, Ancient Greek, Old Norse.
Talking to people in the shop in: Lithuanian, Norwegian, Irish Gaelic, Saami.
Listening to people talking in the shop in: Icelandic, Greenlandic, Finnish.

Dminor
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dminor » 2008-03-25, 14:21

Exactly. Although three of my grandparents were Frisians natively speaking only Frisian, they raised my parents speaking Dutch to them, one couple obviously because one of them didn't speak Frisian himself, and the other because they thought Dutch gave their children a better chance to succeed in life (even though they spoke it only partially themselves). Luckily a part of the Frisian speaking family lives near me, so of course I've ordered them to talk Frisian to me and undo the damage. :wink: But even though there still are Frisians who do this, many of them now choose to raise their children at least bilingually. Frisian has become an official and school taught language since, with an own broadcasting company (Omrop Fryslân), songs and other things to flourish in. It's gone from a rural language (or dialect if you use the non-linguistical definition measured by the situations in which it's used) to a language that's on a par with Dutch in status (at least in Fryslân itself). As a consequence, many Frisians are proud of their language again. At the moment, there is an assisting campaign going on "to make Frisians conscious of their bilingualism and make them proud of that" (Praat mar Frysk) (I use the pin of this campaign to make sure my Frisian family doesn't forget to speak Frisian to me :P). The many good resources are a result of this new attitude as well. :) So I suggest you all encourage this and join Edufrysk. :mrgreen:

Krekt. Alhoewol't trije fan ús pakes en beppes Friezen wienen dy't allinnich mar Frysk praten, hawwe sy ús heit en mem dochs opfieden yn it Hollânsk, ien pear fansels om't ien fan harren sels ek gjin Frysk koe, en de oare om't se tochten dat Hollânsk har in bettere kâns yn it libben jaan soe (ek al wienen sy sels gjin Hollânskpraters fan komsa). Aldergeloks wennet in part fan 'e Fryskpratende famylje net fier by my út 'e krite, dat ik haw se fansels opdroegen om Frysk tsjin my te praten om de skea tebek te draaien. :wink: Mar ek al binne der noch wol Friezen dy't soks dwaan, in soad fan harren meitsje no de kar om har bern op syn minsten twatalich op te fieden. It Frysk is sûnttiid in offisjele en op skoalle ûnderwiisde taal wurden, mei in eigen omrop (Omrop Fryslân), lieten en oar spul om yn te fleurjen. It is fan in boeretaal (of dialekt aste de net-taalkundige definysje brûkst dy't metten wurdt oan 'e hân fan 'e sitewaasjes wêryn't it brûkt wurdt) nei in taal gien dy't yn status op like hichte stiet as it Hollânsk. Dat wie fan dy gefolgen dat Friezen no wer grutsk op harren taal binne. Op dit stuit fiert men in stypjende kampanje "mei it doel Friezen bewust te meitsjen fan harren twataligens en harren dêr grutsk op te meitsjen" (Praat mar Frysk) (Ik brûk de button fan dizze kampanje om derfoar te soargjen dat myn Fryske famylje net ferjit om Frysk tsjin my te praten :P). De protte bêste boarnen folget ek út dizze nije hâlding. :) Dat ik stel út dat jimme dit fuortsterkje en dielnimme oan Edufrysk. :mrgreen:
काव्यशास्त्रविनोदेन कालो गच्छति धीमताम् । व्यसनेन च मूर्खाणां निद्रया कलहेन वा

krix

Postby krix » 2008-03-25, 17:06

krix wrote:

My alma mater was actually the only university in Germany with a fully functional Friesian Department, with two permanent posts, one taken up by a Dutchman (who is a native speaker of West Friesian) and a Scotsman who speaks English, High German, Low German, High Danish, Low German and a variety of North Friesian dialects...

OK that should have read: English, High German, Low German, High Danish, Low Danish and a variety of North Friesian dialects

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2008-03-27, 2:19

krix wrote:OK that should have read: English, High German, Low German, High Danish, Low Danish and a variety of North Friesian dialects

Underlining by me.

Question: What are these? I'm guessing that you means 'Rigsdansk' (for High Danish), and Low Danish means some dialect of Danish (like South Jutlandic)
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

krix

Postby krix » 2008-03-27, 3:26

Mulder-21 wrote:
Question: What are these? I'm guessing that you means 'Rigsdansk' (for High Danish), and Low Danish means some dialect of Danish (like South Jutlandic)

Yes, I believe so. He was using the terms Hochdänisch and Niederdänisch, but it was my understanding that he was referring to Sønderjysk, yes.... He was even saying that American English was spoken on the North Friesian Islands, as there is a sizeable population spending half of the year on the East Coast and the other half on the Westküste (as we call it in SH)....

Sean of the Dead

Re: Frisian

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2009-01-02, 0:10

Frisian looks very interesting, and considering how close it is to English, I might just have to learn it. And about parents not teaching their children their native language(s), I'm pissed off at my great-grandparents (native Norwegians) for not teaching my grandma Norwegian, and for my mom's grandparents for nopt teaching their children German. Oh well, it will only take like 4 or 5 years to learn each of them. :x

Of course, I'm going to raise my kids bi- or even trilingually.
And what would a UniLanger be if they didn't raise their children at least bilingually? Not a UniLanger. ;)

Also, although I have no idea what needs to be done, we need to get a Frisian forum up! How many people are interested in learning Frisian? A quick user search yields 117 people that are interested in learning Frisian. If we can get some of these people to pst here, do you think we could get a Frisian forum? There aren't any active natives on UniLang, but Dminor and Leviwosc both speak it at an advanced level, so at least one of them could be a moderator. I could be a moderator; I have a lot of moderating experience and skills, but know nothing about Frisian. :D
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-01-02, 5:42

Also, although I have no idea what needs to be done, we need to get a Frisian forum up! How many people are interested in learning Frisian? A quick user search yields 117 people that are interested in learning Frisian. If we can get some of these people to pst here, do you think we could get a Frisian forum? There aren't any active natives on UniLang, but Dminor and Leviwosc both speak it at an advanced level, so at least one of them could be a moderator. I could be a moderator; I have a lot of moderating experience and skills, but know nothing about Frisian. :D

Hey, if we got a forum going, I might be tempted to follow it. Frisian would be pretty easy for an English speaker, no?
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2009-01-02, 6:15

ILuvEire wrote:Frisian would be pretty easy for an English speaker, no?

Not in terms of phonology. And its grammar resembles Dutch's more.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

Return to “Frisian (Frysk/Friisk/Fräisk)”