The title of the book WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE in other languages

This is the place where you can ask for translations into several languages at once. For translations into or from just one specific language, please post in the language's own forum or official topic.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Durellion
The title of the book WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE in other languages

Postby Durellion » 2017-04-23, 15:55

(First time of mine on this forum, sorry if I mess this up.)
The languages I'm looking for in particular are French, Irish, Scots Gaelic, Manx, Welsh, Cornish, Breton, Norwegian, Icelandic, Faroese, Polish, Russian, Italian, Portuguese Brazil, Portuguese Portugal, Spanish, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Armenian, Japanese, Hawaiian, Samoan, and Chinese. Thanks!

księżycowy

Re: The title of the book WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE in other languages

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-23, 16:15

Here is the Japanese, courtesy of wikipedia:
「かいじゅうたちのいるところ」

Babbsagg

Postby Babbsagg » 2017-04-23, 17:58

You'll probably find a lot of them by looking up the book's wikipedia entry and then clicking on the other languages on the left side
Thank you for correcting mistakes!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-23, 18:19

Which is a far more efficient option then having people doing a personal translation, that may or may not match the officially translated title.

Not that the book has been translated into all of those languages (at least I'm doubtful it has), nor are all of them found on Wikipedia. But it is a starting point.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-04-25, 17:45

Latin: Ubi fera sunt.

There are two different Welsh versions, published 15 years apart: Lle mae'r pethau gwyllt yn byw ("Where the wild things are living") and Yng ngwlad y pethau gwyllt ("In the land of the wild things"). I can't find any other Celtic versions, nor does it seem to have been translated into Armenian.

The title of the Samoan translation is: ʻO le nofoaga ʻoloʻo iai meaola mataʻutia. I couldn't find a Hawai'ian version, but the Māori is: Kei reira ngā weriweri.

I also didn't find titles in Faroese or Icelandic, but all the others should be available on Wikipedia.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2017-05-14, 23:46

Durellion wrote:(First time of mine on this forum, sorry if I mess this up.)
The languages I'm looking for in particular are French, Irish, Scots Gaelic, Manx, Welsh, Cornish, Breton, Norwegian, Icelandic, Faroese, Polish, Russian, Italian, Portuguese Brazil, Portuguese Portugal, Spanish, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Armenian, Japanese, Hawaiian, Samoan, and Chinese. Thanks!

What's interesting is that the titles of translations often have different meanings from the original title.

Spanish: Donde viven los monstruos (literally: "Where the monsters live.")
Portuguese #1 (Europe): O Sítio das Coisas Selvagens (literally: "The place of the wild things.")
Portuguese #2 (Brazil): Onde Vivem os Monstros (literally: "Where the monsters live.")
French: Max et les Maximonstres (literally: "Max and the maxi-monsters.")
German: Wo die wilden Kerle wohnen (literally: "Where the wild scoundrels live.")
Estonian: Seal, kus elavad metsakollid (literally: "There, where the forest-bogeys live.")
Finnish: Hassut hurjat hirviöt (literally: "Wacky fierce monsters." :?: )
Russian: Там, где живут чудовища (literally: "There, where the beasts live.")

There is also a long list of translations of this book here.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2017-05-15, 1:13

[flag=]tr[/flag] Canavarlar ülkesinin kralı (The king of the land of monsters)
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-05-15, 9:54

[flag=]it[/flag] Nel paese dei mostri selvaggi (in the country of wild monsters)

[paese also means "village"/"town" as well as "country", I don't know the book but I think "country" is probably the intended meaning here.]

Dark_Horse

Postby Dark_Horse » 2017-05-15, 17:28

[flag=]el[/flag] Στη χώρα των μαγικών πλασμάτων (Sti chora ton mayikon plasmaton)

It means "In the country of the magical creatures".
Native: (el)
C2: (en-us)
Basic: (fr)
Studying: (grc) (la)
Interested in: (et)

Return to “Translations”