"This is your library."

This is the place where you can ask for translations into several languages at once. For translations into or from just one specific language, please post in the language's own forum or official topic.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator
Re: "This is your library."

Postby Multiturquoise » 2017-04-04, 18:17

Adding some Turkic languages.
Edit: added Arabic, Persian, Polish, Georgian.

[flag=]en[/flag] [original] This is your library.
[flag=]de[/flag] Hier ist deine Bibliothek.

[flag=]cy[/flag] Dyma dy lyfrgell.
[flag=]ga[/flag] Seo í do leabharlann.

[flag=]ca[/flag] Aquesta és la teva biblioteca.
[flag=]es[/flag] Ésta es tu biblioteca.
[flag=]fr[/flag] Voici ta bibliothèque. / Ça c'est ta biblio(thèque).
[flag=]it[/flag] Ecco la tua biblioteca.
[flag=]la[/flag] Ecce bibliotheca tua.
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] Esta é a sua biblioteca.

[flag=]el[/flag] (Ιδού) η βιβλιοθήκη σου.

[flag=]be[/flag] Гэта твая бібліятэка.
[flag=]pl[/flag] To jest twoja biblioteka.
[flag=]ru[/flag] Это твоя библиотека.
[flag=]uk[/flag] Це твоя бібліотека.

[flag=]fa[/flag] این کتابخانه‌ات است.
[flag=]ku[/flag] Ev der kitêbxaneya te ye.

[flag=]vi[/flag] Thư viện của bạn là đây.

[flag=]az[/flag] Bu sənin kitabxanan.
[flag=]tk[/flag] Bu seniň kitaphanaň.
[flag=]tr[/flag] İşte senin kütüphanen.
[flag=]ba[/flag] Был һинең китапханаң.
[flag=]kk[/flag] Бұл сенің кітапханаң.
[flag=]ky[/flag] Бул сенин китепканаң.
[flag=]tt[/flag] Бу синең китапханәң.
[flag=]ug[/flag] بۇ سېنىڭ كۈتۈپخاناڭ.
[flag=]uz[/flag] Bu sening kutubxonang.

[flag=]yue.Hant[/flag] 呢度係你地嘅圖書館。

[flag=]ar[/flag] هذه مكتبتك.

[flag=]fi[/flag] Tämä on sinun kirjastosi.

[flag=]ka[/flag] ეს არის შენი ბიბლიოთეკა.

[flag=]eo[/flag] Tie-ĉi estas Via biblioteko.
Last edited by Multiturquoise on 2017-04-05, 21:30, edited 5 times in total.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-04-04, 20:07

So I finally got a look at the posters for this campaign. The languages they have so far are Spanish, French, Italian, Arabic, and Simplified Chinese. I suggested they unify the pronoun usage (right now it's a grab bag of singular and plural, formal and informal) and add some more Asian languages as well as at least one Slavic and one African.

For those curious, here are the additional versions:

[flag=]zh[/flag] 这是你的图书馆.
[flag=]ar[/flag] هذه هو مكتبتك

Am I correct in thinking that the copula in the Arabic version should be هي to agree with مكتبة?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-04-04, 20:27

I'm going to suggest these. Could someone please check them?

[flag=]fa[/flag] این کتابخانهت است
[flag=]pl[/flag] To jest twoją biblioteką.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2017-04-05, 10:07

linguoboy wrote:add some more Asian languages

Considering this is an American college, they would be stupid not to have Vietnamese and Hindi on it.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-04-05, 19:46

Tenebrarum wrote:
linguoboy wrote:add some more Asian languages

Considering this is an American college, they would be stupid not to have Vietnamese and Hindi on it.

We expanded the number of posters so I was able to get your Vietnamese version included. Still waiting on a Hindi/Urdu version. (I don't trust my ability to calibrated the level of familiarity.)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-05, 20:37

I'll try to puzzle out a Japanese translation.

これはみんなの図書館です。 :?:

(Lit. "this is everyone's library", I was trying to avoid pronouns). If any more advanced speakers have an suggestions, by all means.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-04-05, 20:42

księżycowy wrote:I'll try to puzzle out a Japanese translation.

これはみんなの図書館です。 :?:

(Lit. "this is everyone's library", I was trying to avoid pronouns). If any more advanced speakers have an suggestions, by all means.

That was actually the original campaign. If I'd been brought on board earlier, I would've pointed out how changing it would complicate translations.

Maybe the Korean translation a friend came up with could be the model for a Japanese version? He sidestepped the pronoun issue by using "自身".

[flag=]ko[/flag] 이 도서관은 자신의 도서관 이지요

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-05, 21:25

After consulting my dictionary, it appears that 自身 would have to be attached to a pronoun or noun. I'm not exactly sure what would work in that regard.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2017-04-06, 7:39

linguoboy wrote:For those curious, here are the additional versions:

[flag=]zh[/flag] 这是你的图书馆.
[flag=]ar[/flag] هذه هو مكتبتك

Am I correct in thinking that the copula in the Arabic version should be هي to agree with مكتبة?
Yes, it should be هي.

Don't you find it fun to actually use one of those words of the k-t-b root we see quoted so often?

Ber

Postby Ber » 2017-04-06, 9:33

Hindi: यह तुम्हारा पुस्तकालय है।

Milya0

Postby Milya0 » 2017-04-06, 18:24

linguoboy wrote:I'm going to suggest these. Could someone please check them?

[…]

I don't know what the context is, but „To jest twoja biblioteka” (with Nom.) would be a more normal way to say it.

Also, if you consider being more polite, you could capitalize „twoja” → „Twoja”. :)
Qroo₃₁ kaa₄ cro₂ kraa₃ kaa₄ qo₄₁ cra₄₁ ka₄ qoo₄₂ krá₄₂.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-04-06, 20:23

[flag=]fa[/flag] این کتابخانهت است

It should be این کتابخانهٔ شما است

Urdu: یہ آپ کا کتبخانہ ہے

NB: These both use the formal/plural you, which is what I've most often seen used in settings like this (signage, advertising, etc) in both languages. I noticed that the Hindi translation proposed by Ber uses 'tum' rather than 'aap' but I have always heard 'aap' in Hindi advertisements. See for example the ad here where viewers are instructed to "enjoy kijiye" (plural/formal).
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-04-06, 21:29

Milya0 wrote:

[…]

I don't know what the context is, but „To jest twoja biblioteka” (with Nom.) would be a more normal way to say it.

Also, if you consider being more polite, you could capitalize „twoja” → „Twoja”. :)

My Polish-speaking coworker said he actually thought "To twoja biblioteka" sounded more natural to him.

eskandar wrote:I noticed that the Hindi translation proposed by Ber uses 'tum' rather than 'aap' but I have always heard 'aap' in Hindi advertisements. See for example the ad here where viewers are instructed to "enjoy kijiye" (plural/formal).

Yeah, I noticed that, too. The other day I was recalling that in his best-known song, Gurdas Maan sings "ਆਪਨਾ ਪਜਾਬ" and wondering if that mean that āp wasn't too formal to use in a context like this one.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-04-06, 21:56

linguoboy wrote:The other day I was recalling that in his best-known song, Gurdas Maan sings "ਆਪਨਾ ਪਜਾਬ" and wondering if that mean that āp wasn't too formal to use in a context like this one.

I don't know much Punjabi but isn't ਆਪਨਾ equivalent to Urdu اپنا ? In that case it means "one's own" and doesn't change based on formality. Come to think of it, I thought Punjabi only had 'tu' and 'tusiiN' as pronouns, no 'aap'.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-04-06, 22:02

eskandar wrote:
linguoboy wrote:The other day I was recalling that in his best-known song, Gurdas Maan sings "ਆਪਨਾ ਪਜਾਬ" and wondering if that mean that āp wasn't too formal to use in a context like this one.

I don't know much Punjabi but isn't ਆਪਨਾ equivalent to Urdu اپنا ? In that case it means "one's own" and doesn't change based on formality. Come to think of it, I thought Punjabi only had 'tu' and 'tusiiN' as pronouns, no 'aap'.

You're right. In context, it's generally translated as "your Panjab", but strictly speaking I guess it's "one's own Panjab".

Would the Urdu equivalent be a possibility here? "Self" or "own" is the literal translation of 자신 in the Korean version, which my Korean-speaking friend chose in order to sidestep the whole pronoun issue entirely. (We still had to deal with the issue of speech levels and weren't entirely pleased with our final choice.)

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-04-06, 22:38

I think "our own Punjab" would be an even better translation. That's how this place called "Apna Punjab" translated their name.

As for avoiding the formality issue, I can't think of a natural, idiomatic way to word the sentence using only 'apna' as the pronoun. I don't think it works, but maybe one of the other Hindi/Urdu speakers here (Vijay, Meera, Saim?) can think of something.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2017-04-06, 23:16

Adding Hmong, Estonian.

[flag=]es[/flag] Ésta es tu biblioteca.

[flag=]pl[/flag] To jest twoja biblioteka.

[flag=]fa[/flag] این کتابخانه‌ات است.

[flag=]hmn[/flag] Qhov no yog koj lub tsev qiv ntawv.

[flag=]ar[/flag] هذه مكتبتك.

[flag=]et[/flag] See on sinu raamatukogu.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-04-07, 7:02

Okay, I guess it's about time I started posting in this part of the forum as well (I think this is the one part where I have never posted; I have posted only in one thread, I think, which was subsequently moved here) since in this case, linguoboy seems to really want help with translations here.

Sorry if I'm being overzealous here, but I've taken the liberty of modifying the Spanish, Persian, Polish, and Arabic translations according to what people have already said in this thread, attempted to incorporate additional languages (both ones that have already had proposed translations for them, i.e. Simplified Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hindi, and Urdu, and new ones, i.e. European Portuguese, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian, Punjabi, Tamil, Malayalam, Traditional Mandarin Chinese, Thai, and Swahili), rearranged the languages so the geographically close ones are closer together (e.g. East Asian languages are relatively close to each other in the list), and commented a bit on Japanese and (especially) the Indian languages:

In Japanese, my understanding is that あなた is the term that would be used in a context like this one with a non-specific referent. In Malayalam, probably in contrast to Hindi/Urdu, using the informal pronoun runs the risk of sounding patronizing or even downright infantilizing, not friendly. I'm guessing Tamil is similar to Malayalam in this respect.
linguoboy wrote:ਆਪਨਾ ਪਜਾਬ

Isn't it ਪੰਜਾਬ with a ṭippī?
eskandar wrote:I think "our own Punjab" would be an even better translation. That's how this place called "Apna Punjab" translated their name.

Yeah, I get the impression that apna/apni/apne is implied to refer to the first person by default when it otherwise wouldn't be clear who the referent is. (The first ghazal I learned by Ghalib has -aaN apna as the rhyme, and IIRC he uses apna in each case to mean simply 'my' instead of using mera. I think he also deliberately made his poetry ambiguous, though, and I guess this is probably an example of that).
As for avoiding the formality issue, I can't think of a natural, idiomatic way to word the sentence using only 'apna' as the pronoun. I don't think it works, but maybe one of the other Hindi/Urdu speakers here (Vijay, Meera, Saim?) can think of something.

Without also using tumhara/aap ka or something? No, I can't.

Also, what do y'all think of using non-English terms for 'library' in Indian languages? I doubt many people ever say pustakālay in Hindi; it sounds like Shuddh Hindi, which most people hate and are not even likely to understand. Malayalam has similar Sanskrit-derived terms for 'library', but no one ever uses those, either. Sure, borderline obscure Sanskrit-derived terms are used in signage in Kerala, but I wouldn't exactly say they come across as friendly, more like a curiosity most people ignore because they can read the English equivalent next to it anyway. And how often do people say کتبخانہ in Urdu? I think I'll tentatively try using plain old English 'library' in the translations below, except for Tamil because I think they actually do use a pure Tamil word for it.

[flag=]nl[/flag] Dit is jouw bibliotheek.
[flag=]sv[/flag] Det är ditt bibliotek.
[flag=]no[/flag] Det er ditt bibliotek.
[flag=]da[/flag] Det er dit bibliotek.

[flag=]es[/flag] Esta es tu biblioteca.
[flag=]pt-eu[/flag] Esta é a tua biblioteca.

[flag=]pl[/flag] To twoja biblioteka.
[flag=]bs[/flag][flag=]sr.Latn[/flag] Ovo je tvoja biblioteka.
[flag=]sr.Cyrl[/flag] Ово је твоја библиотека.
[flag=]hr[/flag] Ovo je tvoja knjižnica.

[flag=]et[/flag] See on sinu raamatukogu.

[flag=]ar[/flag] هذه هي مكتبتك.

[flag=]fa[/flag] این کتابخانهٔ شما است.

[flag=]hi[/flag] यह आपकी लाइब्रेरी है।
[flag=]ur[/flag] یہ آپ کی لائبریری ہے.
[flag=]pa[/flag] ਇਹ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਦੀ ਲਾਇਬ੍ਰੇਰੀ ਹੈ।

[flag=]ta[/flag] இது உங்கள் நூலகம்.
[flag=]ml[/flag] ഇത് നിങ്ങളുടെ ലൈബ്രറി.

[flag=]zh[/flag] 这是你的图书馆。
[flag=]zh-TW[/flag] 這是你的圖書館。

[flag=]ja[/flag] これはあなたの図書館です。

[flag=]ko[/flag] 이 도서관은 자신의 도서관 이지요.

[flag=]th[/flag] นี่ห้องสมุดของคุณ :?:

[flag=]hmn[/flag] Qhov no yog koj lub tsev qiv ntawv.

[flag=]sw[/flag] Hii ni maktaba yako.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-04-07, 7:42

vijayjohn wrote:Also, what do y'all think of using non-English terms for 'library' in Indian languages? I doubt many people ever say pustakālay in Hindi; it sounds like Shuddh Hindi, which most people hate and are not even likely to understand. Malayalam has similar Sanskrit-derived terms for 'library', but no one ever uses those, either. Sure, borderline obscure Sanskrit-derived terms are used in signage in Kerala, but I wouldn't exactly say they come across as friendly, more like a curiosity most people ignore because they can read the English equivalent next to it anyway. And how often do people say کتبخانہ in Urdu? I think I'll tentatively try using plain old English 'library' in the translations below, except for Tamil because I think they actually do use a pure Tamil word for it.

This is a really good point and one that I actually thought about as well. Ordinary Urdu speakers would certainly say "library" more often than "kutubkhana" so that would make it perhaps more informal. I went for the Urdu word over the English (I'm sure all Urdu speakers know both words) because it is, after all, an Urdu sentence, while there is also an English sentence. I think your way works well too, and the two variations accomplish different things. Is the point to best approximate how people actually talk, or to make people feel welcome by seeing their language represented? I think "library" accomplishes the first while "kutubkhana" might better accomplish the second.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-07, 10:14

vijayjohn wrote:In Japanese, my understanding is that あなた is the term that would be used in a context like this one with a non-specific referent.

I agree that that would be the most direct translation. I just wasn't not sure how it's be received by native speakers. Might be perfectly fine, I just was unsure.

Unfortunately we don't have any natives here, and very few advanced learners stop by much.

Out of curiosity, I'll ask around elsewhere.

Return to “Translations”