Translation

This is the place where you can ask for translations into several languages at once. For translations into or from just one specific language, please post in the language's own forum or official topic.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

darwinc
Translation

Postby darwinc » 2006-11-18, 18:49

Hi,

one of my friends (from France) is writing with someone from South Africa - so he needs some help with translations. I'll post the English text in here - so it would be great if anybody was there to translate it into Afrikaans.

"Hi Chris,

sorry for replying so late - I have had some problems with my PC the last two weeks.

Unfortunately it was a long time ago when I visited Pilaansberg. I was quite young at this time, so it isn't really possible for me to remember.
But it was definetely great - I really liked all the animals and the surroundings.

Unfortunately I've never been in Mosambiek. How is it there like?

What are you doing these days? Anything special?

I'm just visiting a friend here in Kapstadt. I think I'll start studying in the next year (hopefully in March if it's possible), but I don't really know which major/subject yet - probably something in science.
Did you study?

I hope you're fine.

Yours sincerely"

Thank you very much!!

andre
Country:ZASouth Africa (Suid-Afrika / uMzantsi Afrika / South Africa)

Re: Translation

Postby andre » 2006-11-20, 11:21

darwinc wrote:Hi,

one of my friends (from France) is writing with someone from South Africa - so he needs some help with translations. I'll post the English text in here - so it would be great if anybody was there to translate it into Afrikaans.

"Hi Chris,

sorry for replying so late - I have had some problems with my PC the last two weeks.

Unfortunately it was a long time ago when I visited Pilaansberg. I was quite young at this time, so it isn't really possible for me to remember.
But it was definetely great - I really liked all the animals and the surroundings.

Unfortunately I've never been in Mosambiek. How is it there like?

What are you doing these days? Anything special?

I'm just visiting a friend here in Kapstadt. I think I'll start studying in the next year (hopefully in March if it's possible), but I don't really know which major/subject yet - probably something in science.
Did you study?

I hope you're fine.

Yours sincerely"

Thank you very much!!

Haai Chris

Jammer dat ek nou eers antwoord - ek het die afgelope twee weke probleme met my rekenaar gehad.

Dit was ongelukkig lank gelede wat ek Pilanesberg besoek het/wat ek by Pilanesberg was.Ek was toe baie jonk, so ek kan nie werklik/regtig veel onthou nie. Maar dit was beslis wonderlik/lekker - ek het regtig van die diere en die omgewing gehou.

Ongelukkig was ek nog nooit in Mosambiek nie. Hoe is dit daar?

Wat doen jy deesdae? Enigiets besonders?

Ek kuier nou by 'n vriend in Kaapstad. Ek dink ek sal volgende jaar begin studeer (hopelik in Maart indien moontlik, maar ek weet nog nie watter rigting/vakke nie - waarskynlik iets in wetenskap.

Het jy gestudeer?

Hoop dit gaan goed met jou.

Groete (The correct direct translation of "yours sincerely" would be "Die uwe", but that's very formal. In a letter to a friend we end by saying "groete" (greetings), or "jou vriend" (your friend", or something similar.

darwinc

Postby darwinc » 2007-01-01, 13:00

Hi,

thank you very much!! I'd need help once again...

"Hi,

haven't you gotten my last e-mails?

How are you?
How was your christmas?

I wish you a happy new year - do you have any special goals in this year?

Yours sincerely"

andre

Postby andre » 2007-01-05, 20:36

thank you very much!! I'd need help once again...

"Hi,

haven't you gotten my last e-mails?

How are you?
How was your christmas?

I wish you a happy new year - do you have any special goals in this year?

Yours sincerely"

Hi (Haai)

Het jy nie my laaste e-posse gekry nie?

Hoe gaan dit?
Hoe was jou Kersfees?

Ek wens jou 'n gelukkige nuwe jaar toe - het jy enige spesiale doelwitte vanjaar?

Jou vriend OR Groete OR Die uwe (much too formal, so don't use. :wink: )

darwinc

Postby darwinc » 2007-01-07, 12:47

Hi,

thank you very much!!

This time it's afrikaans into english (just if you have some time)

Baie dankie vir you e-pos. Altyd goed om van jou te hoor! Baie dankie vir jou goeie wense. Hoop jy ook het 'n fantastiese nuwe jaar!
O-ja, ek het defnitief doelwitte vir 2007! Meeste van hulle is verbeterings wat ek aan die huis moet aanbring. Ek moet die kombuis laat teël, nuwe kombuis kaste laat insit en ek moet nuwe garage deure laat opsit.
En jy? Wat van jou? Enige doelwitte?
Weereens, baie dankie vir you e-pos.
Vriendelike groete,

andre

Postby andre » 2007-01-07, 19:00

thank you very much!!

This time it's afrikaans into english (just if you have some time)

Baie dankie vir you e-pos. Altyd goed om van jou te hoor! Baie dankie vir jou goeie wense. Hoop jy ook het 'n fantastiese nuwe jaar!
O-ja, ek het defnitief doelwitte vir 2007! Meeste van hulle is verbeterings wat ek aan die huis moet aanbring. Ek moet die kombuis laat teël, nuwe kombuis kaste laat insit en ek moet nuwe garage deure laat opsit.
En jy? Wat van jou? Enige doelwitte?
Weereens, baie dankie vir you e-pos.
Vriendelike groete,

Thanks very much for your e-mail. Always good to hear from you! Thanks very much for your good wishes. Hope you will also have a fantastic new year!

Oh yes, I definitely have goals for 2007!! Most of them are improvements that I have to make to the house. I have to have the kitchen tiled, have new kitchen cupboards put in, and I must have new garage doors put in.

And you? What about you? Any goals?
Once again, thanks very much for your e-mail.
Friendly regards

darwinc

Postby darwinc » 2007-01-08, 22:33

Thank you very much andre for always translating so fast!! I hope I don't annoy you ;)

"Hi,

thank you very much for your mail!

Oh, it sounds as if you had to work quite much this year.
Are you going to do holidays anywhere else this year?

I'll start studying this year in Cape Town - I'm really looking forward to it!
Did you study?

And do you still do so much for your page?

Friendly Regards

andre

Postby andre » 2007-01-09, 13:18

darwinc wrote:Thank you very much andre for always translating so fast!! I hope I don't annoy you ;)

"Hi,

thank you very much for your mail!

Oh, it sounds as if you had to work quite much this year.
Are you going to do holidays anywhere else this year?

I'll start studying this year in Cape Town - I'm really looking forward to it!
Did you study?

And do you still do so much for your page?

Friendly Regards

My pleasure, I enjoy it! :)

Hi (Haai),

Baie dankie vir jou pos!

O, dit klink of jy hierdie jaar nogal hard (sal) moet werk.
Gaan jy vanjaar êrens elders vakansie hou?

Ek begin vanjaar in Kaapstad studeer - ek sien nogal uit daarna! Het jy gestudeer? (NOTE: We also use the word "swot" for study - more informal)

En doen jy nog so baie vir jou bladsy? (NOTE: I assume "page" refers to a web page - webbladsy/webwerf)

Vriendelike Groete

darwinc

Postby darwinc » 2007-03-24, 16:27

Hey,

I'd need your help again ;)

Here's the mail:

"Hey Tian,

I've got a new mail as you can see - I hope you'll get this mail. I've started studying now - it is really cool here! Jan is also here (he's sitting besides me) - we have become really big friends.

How are you?

What are you doing these days?

Can I come in about two months and visit you (and the other ones)? This would be really cool...

I hope you'll write back ...

Bye

andre

Postby andre » 2007-03-26, 12:26

Haai Tian,

Ek het 'n nuwe pos soos jy kan sien - ek hoop jy sal hierdie pos kry. Ek het nou begin studeer - dit is regter lekker hier! Jan is ook hier (hy sit langs my) - ons het regtig groot vriende geword.

Hoe gaan dit?

Wat doen jy deesdae?

Kan ek so oor twee maande vir jou kom kuier? Dit sal regtig lekker wees...

Ek hoop jy sal terugskryf....

Baai (very informal)

Siegel

Postby Siegel » 2007-03-26, 12:45

andre, andre, praat met ons jy is die enigste Afrikaaner :cry:

andre

Postby andre » 2007-03-26, 13:11

As julle met my sal praat... nog nie veel hier gebeur nie. Maar as julle begin gesels, sal ek graag saamgesels! :)

(I'll talk to you if you start chatting!)

darwinc

Postby darwinc » 2007-03-29, 0:54

Hey,

thanks for the translation - here'd be the next one :)

"Beste John,

Goed om weer van jou te hoor!
So, jy het nou begin studeer - mooi vir jou! Wat studeer jy?
Met my gaan dit baie goed dankie. Net baie besig. Besig, soos dit moet wees. Ek hou daarvan om besig te wees.
"Soccerdreams" mis jou en Jan. Jammer julle het groot geword (glimlag). Hierdie jaar verloor ek ook baie wat hier by my is. Dis hulle matriek jaar en hul laaste jaar by "Soccerdreams".
Jy is baie welkom om te kom kuier.
Sterkte met jou studies. Ek hoop dit sal baie goed gaan.
Vriendelike groete, "

Siegel

Postby Siegel » 2007-03-29, 20:18

"Beste John,

Goed om weer van jou te hoor!
So, jy het nou begin studeer - mooi vir jou! Wat studeer jy?
Met my gaan dit baie goed dankie. Net baie besig. Besig, soos dit moet wees. Ek hou daarvan om besig te wees.
"Soccerdreams" mis jou en Jan. Jammer julle het groot geword (glimlag). Hierdie jaar verloor ek ook baie wat hier by my is. Dis hulle matriek jaar en hul laaste jaar by "Soccerdreams".
Jy is baie welkom om te kom kuier.
Sterkte met jou studies. Ek hoop dit sal baie goed gaan.
Vriendelike groete, "

Dear John,

Good to hear from you again! So you started studying now, good for you! What do you study? I'm doing well, thank you. Not very busy. Busy just as I should be. I like being busy. "Soccerdreams" miss(es?) you and Jan. Too bad you guys grew up (lol, literally he wrote 'smile'). This year I also lost a lot of what was here. It's their senior and last year at "Soccerdreams". You are very welcome to come visit. Good luck with your studies! I hope it will go well!

best regards (friendly greetings)

darwinc

Postby darwinc » 2007-03-29, 21:09

Thanks!! Here'd be the next text to translate...

Dear Michael,

it is good to hear you're fine!

Jan and myself decided to start studying "economics" - I think it was the right decision!

Have you planned anything special or important for this year?

Did I understand correctly, that it is the last year of "Soccerdreams"? That is really a pity - what are the reasons for that, if I may ask? The idea was so great and it is still cool I think.

Do you still own your two dogs?

Bye
John

andre

Postby andre » 2007-04-03, 18:57

darwinc wrote:Thanks!! Here'd be the next text to translate...

Dear Michael,

it is good to hear you're fine!

Jan and myself decided to start studying "economics" - I think it was the right decision!

Have you planned anything special or important for this year?

Did I understand correctly, that it is the last year of "Soccerdreams"? That is really a pity - what are the reasons for that, if I may ask? The idea was so great and it is still cool I think.

Do you still own your two dogs?

Bye
John

Liewe Michael

Dit is goed om te hoor dit gaan goed met jou.

Ek en Jan het besluit om ekonomie te begin studeer - ek dink dit was die regte besluit!

Beplan jy enigiets spesiaals of belangrik vir vanjaar?

Het ek reg verstaan, dat dit die laaste jaar vir "Soccerdreams" is? Dit is regtig jammer, wat is die redes daarvoor, as ek mag vra? Die idee was so goed en dit is steeds koel, dink ek.

Het jy nog jou twee honde?

Baai
John

darwinc

Postby darwinc » 2007-04-08, 21:09

Thank you!! Heres the next one ;)

Hallo Jonas,

Ekonomie - goeie keuse, defnitief!
Ek het net my gewone vakansie by Pilaansberg vanjaar - andersins hou "Soccerdreams" my baie besig. En nee, jy het my verkeerd verstaan. Dis beslis nie die laaste jaar van "Soccerdreams" nie. Wat ek bedoel het was dat baie van my kinders wat nou in matriek is, hulle laaste jaar by "Soccerdreams" is. Onthou, ek kan net mense hê wat op skool is wat by "Soccerdreams" is.
My een swart hond is ongelukkig dood. Ons dink hy het 'n beroerte of iets gehad. Nie regtig geweet dat honde beroerte kan kry nie, maar ja, ons dink hy's dood aan 'n beroerte.
Ek het nou 'n ander hond - 'n wit Labrador met die naam Floorsie. My twee honde nou se name is Skollie (die groot bruin hond) en dan natuurlik, Floorsie.
Ek hoop jy het 'n lekker Goeie Vrydag en stuur asseblief groete vir Jan.
Beste wense,
John

ArcticStar

Postby ArcticStar » 2007-04-08, 23:27

darwinc wrote:Thank you!! Heres the next one ;)

Hallo Jonas,

Ekonomie - goeie keuse, defnitief!
Ek het net my gewone vakansie by Pilaansberg vanjaar - andersins hou "Soccerdreams" my baie besig. En nee, jy het my verkeerd verstaan. Dis beslis nie die laaste jaar van "Soccerdreams" nie. Wat ek bedoel het was dat baie van my kinders wat nou in matriek is, hulle laaste jaar by "Soccerdreams" is. Onthou, ek kan net mense hê wat op skool is wat by "Soccerdreams" is.
My een swart hond is ongelukkig dood. Ons dink hy het 'n beroerte of iets gehad. Nie regtig geweet dat honde beroerte kan kry nie, maar ja, ons dink hy's dood aan 'n beroerte.
Ek het nou 'n ander hond - 'n wit Labrador met die naam Floorsie. My twee honde nou se name is Skollie (die groot bruin hond) en dan natuurlik, Floorsie.
Beste wense,
John

Hello Jonas,

Economy - good choice, definitely!
I've got my regular vacation in Pilaansberg this year - otherwise 'Soccerdreams' keeps me quite busy. And no, you've misunderstood me. It's really not the last year of 'Soccerdreams'. What I meant was that many of my children now are in their senior years, it's their last year at 'Soccerdreams'. My black dog is unfortunately dead. We think he had a stroke or something. I don't really know whether dogs can have strokes or not, but yeah, we think he died from a stroke. Now I've got another dog - a white labrador with the name Floorsie. My two dogs now are called Skollie (the big brown dog) and then of course Floorsie. I hope you've got a really nice Friday and please greet Jan.

Best wishes, John

Vertaler

Postby Vertaler » 2007-04-09, 7:53

I hope you've got a really nice Friday and please greet Jan.

Goeie Vrydag is Good Friday, the Friday before Easter. Doesn’t change the meaning very much, but there’s a slight difference (;

ArcticStar

Postby ArcticStar » 2007-04-09, 13:18

Vertaler wrote:

I hope you've got a really nice Friday and please greet Jan.

Goeie Vrydag is Good Friday, the Friday before Easter. Doesn’t change the meaning very much, but there’s a slight difference (;

Oh, my apologies. Just me not knowing about Easter enough, apparently. :P

Return to “Translations”