living together

This is the place where you can ask for translations into several languages at once. For translations into or from just one specific language, please post in the language's own forum or official topic.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

cirilo
living together

Postby cirilo » 2017-06-27, 23:46

Hello all,

I am searching for a nice word for "living together".

As far as I know there is not really one word in English, French, German but I think it could be useful to find one expression.
Maybe in some languages in the world such a word exist that other languages could borrow.

Please tell me if such a word exists in your language.

Cheers,
Cyrille

Bernard

Re: living together

Postby Bernard » 2017-06-28, 7:43

Latin: convictus, ūs m. = living together, intimacy, social intercourse (< con- = together,- victus < vivere = to live)

Italian: la convivenza (con- = together, -vivenza < vivere to live)

German: das Zusammenleben (zusammen- = together, -leben = to live)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2017-06-28, 14:29

[flag=]la[/flag] Latin: convictus, ūs m. = living together, intimacy, social intercourse (< con- = together,- victus < vivere = to live)

[flag=]it[/flag] Italian: la convivenza (con- = together, -vivenza < vivere to live)

[flag=]es[/flag] Spanish: la convivencia (con- = together, -vivencia < vivir to live)
[flag=]es[/flag] Spanish: la cohabitación (con- = together, -habitación < habitar to inhabit, to reside, to dwell)

[flag=]fr[/flag] French: la cohabitation (co- = together, -habitacion < habiter to inhabit, to live, to dwell)

[flag=]de[/flag] German: das Zusammenleben (zusammen- = together, -leben = to live)

[flag=]et[/flag] Estonian: kooselu (koos = together, elu = life)
[flag=]et[/flag] Estonian: abielu (abi = help, elu = life; refers to marriage)

[flag=]en[/flag] English: cohabitation (co- = together, -habitation < -habitate to inhabit, to reside, to dwell)
[flag=]en[/flag] English: coexistence (co- = together, existence < -exist to live, to be)
Last edited by Linguaphile on 2017-06-28, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2017-06-28, 15:21

[flag=]la[/flag] Latin: convictus, ūs m. = living together, intimacy, social intercourse (< con- = together,- victus < vivere = to live)

[flag=]it[/flag] Italian: la convivenza (con- = together, -vivenza < vivere to live)

[flag=]es[/flag] Spanish: la convivencia (con- = together, -vivencia < vivir to live)
[flag=]es[/flag] Spanish: la cohabitación (con- = together, -habitación < habitar to inhabit, to reside, to dwell)

[flag=]fr[/flag] French: la cohabitation (co- = together, -habitacion < habiter to inhabit, to live, to dwell)

[flag=]de[/flag] German: das Zusammenleben (zusammen- = together, -leben = to live)

[flag=]fi[/flag] Finnish: yhteiselo (yhteis- = means that something is shared, elo = life)
[flag=]fi[/flag] Finnish: avoliitto (avo- = open, liitto = union/marriage; refers to an unmarried couple living together)

[flag=]en[/flag] English: cohabitation (co- = together, = -habitation < -habitate to inhabit, to reside, to dwell)
[flag=]en[/flag] English: coexistence (co- = together, existence < -exist to live, to be)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-06-28, 16:41

cirilo wrote:I am searching for a nice word for "living together".

I can think of at least three distinct meanings of "living together" in English:

1. Sharing the same dwelling.
2. Being in a sexual relationship outside of marriage (a euphemism derived from the usage above).
3. Coexisting within a society.

Was there one in particular you were looking for equivalents of?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

cirilo

Postby cirilo » 2017-07-06, 22:06

Yes, thanks, you are right. To be more precise I mean the third meaning: "Coexisting within a society."

linguoboy wrote:

I can think of at least three distinct meanings of "living together" in English:

1. Sharing the same dwelling.
2. Being in a sexual relationship outside of marriage (a euphemism derived from the usage above).
3. Coexisting within a society.

Was there one in particular you were looking for equivalents of?

Prantsis

Postby Prantsis » 2017-07-07, 1:00

As far as I know there is not really one word in English, French, German but I think it could be useful to find one expression.
Maybe in some languages in the world such a word exist that other languages could borrow.

There's actually one English word which etymologically means living together, and which the philosopher Ivan Illitch has already used this way: conviviality.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2017-07-07, 1:21

Prantsis wrote:

There's actually one English word which etymologically means living together, and which the philosopher Ivan Illitch has already used this way: conviviality.

Coexistence could work, too.

Prantsis

Postby Prantsis » 2017-07-07, 1:34

Linguaphile wrote:Coexistence could work, too.

He said he was searching for a nice word.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2017-07-07, 1:45

Prantsis wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:Coexistence could work, too.

He said he was searching for a nice word.

Isn't it?

coexistence
1. the state or fact of living or existing at the same time or in the same place.
2. the state or condition of living in harmony despite different ideologies or interests.

While looking for the definition I also saw that it is the name of a political party in some countries, which I was unaware of. But the word has no political or negative connotations to me - I suppose it depends on how it is used by others regionally. Nothing wrong with it here as far as I know. But if it's viewed as "not nice" some places, that's new to me and good to know!

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-07-07, 1:46

Niceness aside, "coexistence" is more recognizable in the intended meaning, not least of all because of the Coexist image.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Sante_Caserio

Postby Sante_Caserio » 2017-08-15, 10:12

[flag=]fi[/flag] Finnish: yhteiselo (yhteis- = means that something is shared, elo = life)
[flag=]fi[/flag] Finnish: avoliitto (avo- = open, liitto = union/marriage; refers to an unmarried couple living together)

[flag=]en[/flag] English: cohabitation (co- = together, = -habitation < -habitate to inhabit, to reside, to dwell)
[flag=]en[/flag] English: coexistence (co- = together, existence < -exist to live, to be)[/quote]

[flag=]sv[/flag] Swedish: samlevnad = together-living

Return to “Translations”