Help In Need of Hebrew Translations! Tattoo Pending...

This is the place where you can ask for translations into several languages at once. For translations into or from just one specific language, please post in the language's own forum or official topic.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

mikeebutler
Help In Need of Hebrew Translations! Tattoo Pending...

Postby mikeebutler » 2017-03-05, 23:47

Hey all,

So I am looking to get a tattoo done here soon and I obviously very concerned about having the right Hebrew translation. The verse is of 1 Peter 4:10, "Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms". I am not looking to have the verse translated, as that would be too large of a tattoo, but since I know this by heart I just need the verse description translated. Here are the options I am looking at getting translated:

- "1 Peter 4:10"
- "1 Peter Chapter 4, Verse 10" (not sure if there is a difference in Hebrew regarding "4" and "four", "10/ten")
- "1 Epistle of Peter 4:10"
- "1 Epistle of Peter Chapter 4, Verse 10"

Also is there any way to have these translations in an aesthetically pleasing font/calligraphy for Hebrew? Where/what websites would I be able to visit that could have these options for me. Thank you for all and any help in advance! Means a lot to me.

- Mike B. :D

księżycowy

Re: Help In Need of Hebrew Translations! Tattoo Pending...

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-05, 23:59

Why do you want it in Hebrew? Wouldn't it make more sense to get it in Greek? :?

mikeebutler

Postby mikeebutler » 2017-03-06, 0:06

Great question!

Yeah, one would think I would be interested in greek, as it is most likely the language Peter was writing in, but in 1 peter, there is still some debate on the actual written of language because Peter wasnt the most educated in Greek thereby asking Silas for help in writing his epistles. But For that reason, I find that I have some variation and choice between aramaic, hebrew and greek (all possible options for being the original written language, Pre-Silas intervention).... and i choose Hebrew because it appeals the most to me. =D

- Mike B. :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-06, 11:07

At that time, Greek was the language of literacy and of the general masses. Even the Hebrew Scriptures used at that time were in Greek as opposed to Hebrew. Most (if not all) OT quotes in the NT come from the Septuagint, not Masoretic text. While I think that Semitic languages such as Aramaic was still spoken in Palestine at the time, I don't think most people were literate in any. Hebrew was mostly dead by this point in history, mostly being used as a literary language for only a very small number of people. I think it very likely the the "original" language of the NT as a whole was Greek, including 1 Peter. Any Semitic influence that makes people question this is most likely the result from interference of the spoken language at the time (I.e. Aramaic). Of course this is my opinion based on my studies.

And none of this is to say that you can't get your tattoo in Hebrew either way. :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-06, 21:13

To actually attempt an answer, I tried checking my Modern Hebrew New Testament, but couldn't find anything that looks like Peter or Simon for a title. :?

Wikipedia suggests איגרת פטרוס הראשונה as a translation of 1 Peter.
Morfix suggests a few different words for 'verse', but it seems that the best option is פָּסוּק .
Now, I'm not much of an expert in writing Hebrew, as i mostly read Biblical Hebrew and even that I'm not an expert in. So I'd check the Hebrew specific forum for help. It might take the two natives that regularly check the forum a little bit to get back to you, but they will.

And yes, I know you're probably looking for a Biblical Hebrew equivalent. Our natives would be better suited then me to provide that if it's any different from Modern Hebrew.

[Maybe a mod/admin can move this thread?]

mikeebutler

Postby mikeebutler » 2017-03-11, 3:26

Thank you for your help/advice. I appreciate the translations and your interest in my piece. I wish you the best!

Cheers

Return to “Translations”