Bilingual conversations

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

הענט
Re: Bilingual conversations

Postby הענט » 2017-06-01, 15:09

Saim wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Nah, "totally wacked out" would be French. ;)

I remember when I was trying to transcribe some French audio a couple of weeks ago it took me ages to figure out that /ʒənfzɛ/ was simply je ne faisais (I was like, "what is a fzè"?). :lol: Good thing Wiktionary has IPA on its French conjugation tables (this is the only language I've seen them do this for)!

This reminded me of the time I was in France and ordered un prix du pain. I just read the whole sign :)

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-06-01, 22:32

Oun priks dou païnne? :P

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-06-02, 7:32

Nah. It was closer to the genuine pronunciation, but I just did not know which part meant bread at that time. :)

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2017-06-03, 22:00

Dr. House wrote:Star Wars- the scene where H. Ford is having a chat with the oversized fly.

That seems to be how the Star Wars universe works a lot of the time. Just look how everyone communicates with Chewbacca throughout the original trilogy for example.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-06-04, 7:44

Yes. You're right. This also reminds me of the French-English conversation in Kill Bill. Between Beatrix and the woman in the trunk. :)

Return to “General Language Forum”