Shortwave Radio

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

הענט
Shortwave Radio

Postby הענט » 2017-05-12, 5:49

Last night I was messing around with my radio and tuned in a couple of foreign stations. They had bad quality and usually fade way, but it was fun.

I managed to listen to [flag=]eo[/flag], [flag=]de[/flag], [flag=]ru[/flag], [flag=]ro[/flag], [flag=]ar[/flag], [flag=]tr[/flag], [flag=]hr[/flag], [flag=]en[/flag], [flag=]fr[/flag], [flag=]sw[/flag], [flag=]zh[/flag], [flag=]fa[/flag] and [flag=]hu[/flag].

But with the exception of some Quranic verses and Radio Vatican, all of them were just different language versions of China Radio International.

"Hier klicken heißt 点击这儿"

md0

Re: Shortwave Radio

Postby md0 » 2017-05-12, 6:20

I used to be a dedicated SW listener until I moved inland where reception is terrible. Now it's just morning news review/talk radio on FM...

CRI is truly everywhere, and so is Voice of Iran.

My favourite catches content-wise were always NHK World and Furusato No Kaze (my Japanese used to be usable back then), and the Greek broadcast from Armenia (perhaps the only remaining Greek broadcast in SW since Greece axed their own service).

On the technical side of it, I was more exited when I could pickup emissions from North America and Oceania. And I think that at least half the fun in SWLing is the technical side of it.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-05-12, 7:41

I agree completely. The technical side for me is priceless. :)

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-05-12, 12:45

I just remembered I started this thread a couple of years ago. Some of the later posts are documenting my long-distance receptions (the videos are no longer available though).

By the way, I think it should be trivially easy for you to pick up Radio Romania International. They had decent content in the English broadcast.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Return to “General Language Forum”