What strategies do you use to study flash cards and vocabulary lists?

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

rmccarl
What strategies do you use to study flash cards and vocabulary lists?

Postby rmccarl » 2017-05-04, 19:33

Since I am about to add a feature to my website that will allow users to print flash cards and vocabulary lists with example sentences, I spent some time thinking about what role these popular methods play in language learning. Personally, I have learned a lot through digital flash cards on apps like Anki and Kanjibox, but I have also wasted plenty of time and energy on low-value activities like creating flash cards and studying isolated words on flash cards.

I came up with three principles for using these tools effectively, and I would be interested in hearing yours. Do you use flash cards or vocabulary lists to study languages? If so, how do you use them? What information should an ideal flash card contain? Here are mine:

(1) Always study vocabulary in the context of real example sentences; never study isolated words.
(2) Beware of using flash cards to "go through the motions" of studying, a form of productive procrastination.
(3) Memorize example sentences, but never memorize definitions.

-- Ryan
Last edited by Aurinĭa on 2017-05-07, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removing self-promoting links

Bookreader

Re: What strategies do you use to study flash cards and vocabulary lists?

Postby Bookreader » 2017-06-07, 8:45

Thanks for sharing these tips with us, Flash cards are the best technique for learning vocabulary.

Return to “General Language Forum”