How did you go about learning your languages?

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: How did you go about learning your languages?

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-04-29, 15:31

Babbsagg wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Babbsagg wrote:It's interesting because I have to learn new sounds for other Germanic languages (don't know about Dutch, never tried that), but not for Italian.

Do you have [ɣ] in Hessisch?

Does Italian have it? Never occurred to me, and I can't find any trace of a velar fricative in Italian on the net.

I think he may have been asking that because Dutch has it.

Babbsagg

Postby Babbsagg » 2017-04-29, 15:34

Ah. Standard German definitely doesn't have it, but as I said, I think Hessisch has.
Thank you for correcting mistakes!

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-04-29, 16:20

Babbsagg wrote:To me (German) Italian phonology also is a bit easier than Spanish. Aside from the R, right now I can't think of any Italian sound that isn't there in German too

[d͡z], [ɲ], [ʎ], [ɾ], [w], [ɱ]. I would've also said [d͡ʒ] but Wikipedia does list it among German consonants, although in brackets (not sure what that's supposed to mean).

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2017-04-29, 16:28

IpseDixit wrote:
Babbsagg wrote:To me (German) Italian phonology also is a bit easier than Spanish. Aside from the R, right now I can't think of any Italian sound that isn't there in German too

[d͡z], [ɲ], [ʎ], [ɾ], [w], [ɱ]. I would've also said [d͡ʒ] but Wikipedia does list it among German consonants, although in brackets (not sure what that's supposed to mean).

[d͡ʒ] exists in loans, but not everyone pronounces/can pronounce it like that. Although the same is true for [w] as well. :hmm:
Please correct my mistakes!

Babbsagg

Postby Babbsagg » 2017-04-29, 16:35

Yes I think I forgot a few and was unaware of a few others (I use them subconsciously when pronouncing Italian but apparently forgot about them). I'll stand corrected.

Some notes though:

[r] and [ɾ] are present in some dialects, and many Germans are familiar with these sounds
[w] is known from English loan words like "Wales" or "win"
Thank you for correcting mistakes!

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-04-29, 16:56

Babbsagg wrote:[r] and [ɾ] are present in some dialects, and many Germans are familiar with these sounds
[w] is known from English loan words like "Wales" or "win"

Yeah, I imagined that, I just pointed out the sounds that aren't found in Standard German (according to Wikipedia), and I just considered Standard Italian, if you consider the dialects things become more complicated.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-04-30, 1:58

vijayjohn wrote:Yeah, probably because it has the smallest population confined to the smallest land area and has the shortest history and highest literacy rate of all four.

Did you folks ever write in literary Tamil before the standardisation of Malayalam? Because Malayalam is also descended from Old Tamil, right?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-04-30, 2:41

Saim wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Yeah, probably because it has the smallest population confined to the smallest land area and has the shortest history and highest literacy rate of all four.

Did you folks ever write in literary Tamil before the standardisation of Malayalam? Because Malayalam is also descended from Old Tamil, right?

Sure! One of the Five Great Epics of Tamil Literature was written by someone from near Kochi. At least one of these poems was written by Cheraman Perumal, who, according to legend, later became the first king in Kerala to convert to Islam.

Even now, some of our movie songs are largely or even entirely in Tamil.

Return to “General Language Forum”