What "foreign" accent is this ;D?

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Papageno
What "foreign" accent is this ;D?

Postby Papageno » 2016-10-04, 21:38

Saw this channel of someone with "FAS" but the accent does sound the most unreal of all I have heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-NNJ4wUVn8

She might have heard something like this at some point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__vHa_JZ_iM
Native: [flag=]sv[/flag]

To some degree fluent: [flag=]sv[/flag] [flag=]en[/flag]

Studying/Studied at school: [flag=]sv[/flag] [flag=]en[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag]

Interested: [flag=]yi[/flag] [flag=]non[/flag] [flag=]ro[/flag]

ceid donn

Re: What "foreign" accent is this ;D?

Postby ceid donn » 2016-10-04, 22:31

FAS is a real disorder, usually caused by a brain injury. It doesn't cause a person to adopt an "authentic" accent of any kind--it's a neurological change in the brain that causes the person to create sounds differently from their native accent that is then perceived by those around them, like people who know them already, as " foreign". The sense of being "foreign" is subjective and based on the hearer's preconceptions of what sounds different to them. It's not that someone who's American magically starts talking in a Chinese accent or anything like that.

Because this is a disability, I find it a little discomforting to see you post this like some kind of game that could easily lead to mockery and condescension. The little winky emote kind of suggest you don't have to most compassionate of motivation here--you certainly don't seem interested in educating people about this disorder, only to amuse yourself. Putting disabled people on display for able-bodied people to gawk at is a tad too Elephant Man for me (I'm disabled myself, BTW). Be respectful, please. This woman didn't ask to be this way and I doubt she posted that video for able-bodied people to gawk at her disability like some freak-show.

Papageno

Postby Papageno » 2016-10-05, 9:55

ceid donn wrote:FAS is a real disorder, usually caused by a brain injury. It doesn't cause a person to adopt an "authentic" accent of any kind--it's a neurological change in the brain that causes the person to create sounds differently from their native accent that is then perceived by those around them, like people who know them already, as " foreign". The sense of being "foreign" is subjective and based on the hearer's preconceptions of what sounds different to them. It's not that someone who's American magically starts talking in a Chinese accent or anything like that.

Because this is a disability, I find it a little discomforting to see you post this like some kind of game that could easily lead to mockery and condescension. The little winky emote kind of suggest you don't have to most compassionate of motivation here--you certainly don't seem interested in educating people about this disorder, only to amuse yourself. Putting disabled people on display for able-bodied people to gawk at is a tad too Elephant Man for me (I'm disabled myself, BTW). Be respectful, please. This woman didn't ask to be this way and I doubt she posted that video for able-bodied people to gawk at her disability like some freak-show.

It is a very terrible dissability and it is common that it is made fun of, but is there any real accent that does resemble this? I have some form of non-asperger autism and I stutter each other sentence, I have been made fun of, experienced a relatively mild form of sexual assault when people suspected I was homo-sexual (I am not). I am not giving you the dissability card but I am honest with my question.
Native: [flag=]sv[/flag]

To some degree fluent: [flag=]sv[/flag] [flag=]en[/flag]

Studying/Studied at school: [flag=]sv[/flag] [flag=]en[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag]

Interested: [flag=]yi[/flag] [flag=]non[/flag] [flag=]ro[/flag]

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2016-10-14, 17:28

IIRC FAS refers to a more or less consistent foreign-sounding accent, and if it's inconsistent, it's just called dysprosody?

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2016-10-15, 4:32

Dysprosody means, well, abnormal prosody. It could be subjectively interpreted as a foreign accent, I guess. To my knowledge, both dysprosody and FAS are stable once acquired (through a brain injury, I imagine, although I guess dysprosody could be developmental as well). Pronouncing phonemes differently (prosody is a suprasegmental) is more like what we called "speech sound disorder", which is an umbrella term for any kind of disorder featuring phonetic errors.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Return to “General Language Forum”