Learning through listening?

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Learning through listening?

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-06-10, 22:55

Also, YouTube, GLOSS, and LangMedia (but especially YouTube!)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-06-11, 0:53

And I suggest http://radio.garden/
There are both music and talking in the radios they have.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-12, 19:14

Johanna wrote:Find a podcast that is about something you love in a language you like

I've actually never thought about this! I've only thought about podcasts for language learning series or news.

Speaking of news, I know it's supposed to be helpful to listen to the news in your target language, especially I guess once you're B1 and above, but I have a hard time doing that. The same happens with TV shows and films. I guess the lack of full understanding bothers me enough that I switch to English.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Estrella

Postby Estrella » 2017-06-12, 20:54

dEhiN wrote:Speaking of news, I know it's supposed to be helpful to listen to the news in your target language, especially I guess once you're B1 and above, but I have a hard time doing that. The same happens with TV shows and films. I guess the lack of full understanding bothers me enough that I switch to English.

You should start with movies you've already watched a couple of times in English. You'll pick up words more easily if you already know the movie well. Using headphones also helps. Also, choose your movies well. Some movies are easier to understand than others. Avoid movies where the characters are always whispering, talking very fast or speaking with a cartoony voice. Or movies where you can't hear clearly because there's always music playing or loud sound effects.

From my experience, dubbed movies are easier to understand than those where it's the original language. And they're also easier to understand than the news.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-12, 22:15

Estrella wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Speaking of news, I know it's supposed to be helpful to listen to the news in your target language, especially I guess once you're B1 and above, but I have a hard time doing that. The same happens with TV shows and films. I guess the lack of full understanding bothers me enough that I switch to English.

You should start with movies you've already watched a couple of times in English. You'll pick up words more easily if you already know the movie well. Using headphones also helps. Also, choose your movies well. Some movies are easier to understand than others. Avoid movies where the characters are always whispering, talking very fast or speaking with a cartoony voice. Or movies where you can't hear clearly because there's always music playing or loud sound effects.

From my experience, dubbed movies are easier to understand than those where it's the original language. And they're also easier to understand than the news.

[flag=]fr[/flag] Merci pour les avises ! Je suppose que tu veut dire les films qui sont faits originalement dans l'anglais au lieu des films qui sont faits dans la langue que j'apprends ?

[flag=]en-ca[/flag] Thanks for the suggestions! I guess by dubbed movies vs original language, you mean movies where the original language is in English as opposed to where the original language is in my target language?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Estrella

Postby Estrella » 2017-06-12, 23:06

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] Merci pour les avises ! Je suppose que tu veut dire les films qui sont faits originalement dans l'anglais au lieu des films qui sont faits dans la langue que j'apprends ?

[flag=]en-ca[/flag] Thanks for the suggestions! I guess by dubbed movies vs original language, you mean movies where the original language is in English as opposed to where the original language is in my target language?

[flag=]fr[/flag] Exactement! La prononciation est généralement plus claire dans les doublages et ils utilisent moins de mots d'argot.

[flag=]en-ca[/flag] Exactly! The pronunciation is usually clearer in dubbed movies and there are fewer slang words.

Return to “General Language Forum”