Wanderlust support group 4

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 14513
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-18, 18:25

I have no idea whether one is more of a visible minority than the other or anything, but in the US in general (and I presume this is true of Hawaii as well), it can be pretty easy for minorities to be invisible.

Anyway, if at any time I start doing Polynesian languages, I think I'd start with Hawaiian. :)

User avatar
Car
Forum Administrator
Posts: 9874
Joined: 2002-06-21, 19:24
Real Name: Silvia
Gender: female
Country: DE Germany (Deutschland)
Contact:

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby Car » 2017-03-19, 10:09

It certainly doesn't hurt either that the NZ national anthem is partly sung in Maori* and that the haka is so popular.

*This reminds me that my mother came into my room when they were playing the NZ national anthem before the Rugby World Cup final 2011 and asked, with panic in her voice, "Is that English?" :lol:
Please correct my mistakes!

User avatar
dEhiN
Posts: 3306
Joined: 2013-08-18, 2:51
Real Name: David
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)
Contact:

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-19, 10:42

Car wrote:This reminds me that my mother came into my room when they were playing the NZ national anthem before the Rugby World Cup final 2011 and asked, with panic in her voice, "Is that English?" :lol:

Why the panic?
Follow my TAC 2017 here.

(N)  (en-CA) | (B2/B1)  (fr) | (B1/A2)  (es-CO) (pt-BR) | (A1/A0)  (de) (fy) (hi)  (hu) (id) (it) (ja) (ko) (oc) (oj) (pl) (ro) (sq) (sv) (ta-LK) (tl) (tr) (zh)

User avatar
Car
Forum Administrator
Posts: 9874
Joined: 2002-06-21, 19:24
Real Name: Silvia
Gender: female
Country: DE Germany (Deutschland)
Contact:

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby Car » 2017-03-19, 10:47

dEhiN wrote:
Car wrote:This reminds me that my mother came into my room when they were playing the NZ national anthem before the Rugby World Cup final 2011 and asked, with panic in her voice, "Is that English?" :lol:

Why the panic?

Because she thought it was English and didn't understand a thing. Not a nice feeling for a former English teacher.
Please correct my mistakes!

User avatar
dEhiN
Posts: 3306
Joined: 2013-08-18, 2:51
Real Name: David
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)
Contact:

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-19, 11:02

Car wrote:
dEhiN wrote:
Car wrote:This reminds me that my mother came into my room when they were playing the NZ national anthem before the Rugby World Cup final 2011 and asked, with panic in her voice, "Is that English?" :lol:

Why the panic?

Because she thought it was English and didn't understand a thing. Not a nice feeling for a former English teacher.

:rotfl: :rotfl: I can understand that! I didn't know your mom was a former English teacher. My aunt (who's from SL) has lived and taught English in Germany for probably at least 30 years. She lives in Cologne I believe.
Follow my TAC 2017 here.

(N)  (en-CA) | (B2/B1)  (fr) | (B1/A2)  (es-CO) (pt-BR) | (A1/A0)  (de) (fy) (hi)  (hu) (id) (it) (ja) (ko) (oc) (oj) (pl) (ro) (sq) (sv) (ta-LK) (tl) (tr) (zh)

User avatar
Car
Forum Administrator
Posts: 9874
Joined: 2002-06-21, 19:24
Real Name: Silvia
Gender: female
Country: DE Germany (Deutschland)
Contact:

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby Car » 2017-03-19, 13:05

dEhiN wrote:
Car wrote:
dEhiN wrote:
Car wrote:This reminds me that my mother came into my room when they were playing the NZ national anthem before the Rugby World Cup final 2011 and asked, with panic in her voice, "Is that English?" :lol:

Why the panic?

Because she thought it was English and didn't understand a thing. Not a nice feeling for a former English teacher.

:rotfl: :rotfl: I can understand that! I didn't know your mom was a former English teacher. My aunt (who's from SL) has lived and taught English in Germany for probably at least 30 years. She lives in Cologne I believe.

I had similar feelings when I first heard their anthem, although I at least suspected it might be Maori. Nice to hear that.
Please correct my mistakes!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 14513
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-19, 23:59

Some people on my mom's side of the family have/had taught English in NIgeria at some point in their lives, I think in Hausa-majority areas in the north.

User avatar
voron
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 3448
Joined: 2007-07-15, 3:29
Gender: male
Country: BY Belarus (Беларусь)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby voron » 2017-03-21, 11:55

I talked some Kurdish the other day with my friend and it made me wanderlust for ... Dari. :) Right now I'm listening to a free sample of Pimsleur's Dari lessons.

User avatar
Michael
Posts: 6810
Joined: 2009-07-21, 3:07
Real Name: Miguel aka Mike
Gender: male
Location: Oak Park (subúrbio de Chicago), Illinois
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby Michael » 2017-03-23, 10:42

voron wrote:I talked some Kurdish the other day with my friend and it made me wanderlust for ... Dari. :) Right now I'm listening to a free sample of Pimsleur's Dari lessons.

And I'm wasterlusting for Tajik! In fact, not just wanderlusting for it; I'm earnestly considering a return to my Persian studies, taking advantage of this as an opportunity to branch out into Eastern Persian. Also (even though I'm 4 days late):

Sâl-i Nav-i 1396 [Hizâr-u-Sêsad-u-Navad-u-Şiş] Mubârak ba tû, yâ rafîq!
Meaning, in Tajik: "Happy New Year 1396 to you, my friend!"


In addition, since Nowruz has just been celebrated, here's a neat map I stumbled across while browsing headlines on BBC Persian which identifies all the countries that celebrate the holiday and measures the extent to which the various countries celebrate it.

Image

Also, I love this Tajiki Nawrôz song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZvRuZJ3_Ng
Last edited by Michael on 2017-03-23, 15:33, edited 2 times in total.
N: American English (en-us) Pizzonese (nap) | B1: Italian (it) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Greek (el) | A2: Persian (fa) Azerbaijani (az) | A1: Turkish (tr)  (sq)
Personal language journals: TAC ‘17 (general log) | Türkî/Türkçe
I appreciate all corrections. In fact, I encourage them!
AVATAR: Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, founder of the modern Turkish Republic and champion of secularism

User avatar
voron
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 3448
Joined: 2007-07-15, 3:29
Gender: male
Country: BY Belarus (Беларусь)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby voron » 2017-03-23, 10:51

Newroza te ji pîroz be, Michael :)

Here is a Newroz message from the Turkish president Erdoğan in 7 languages, including three Kurdish varieties:
http://nerinaazad.net/tr/news/regions/t ... roz-mesaji

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2117
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby eskandar » 2017-03-23, 21:08

Michael wrote:Sâl-i Nav-i 1396 [Hizâr-u-Sêsad-u-Navad-u-Şiş] Mubârak ba tû, yâ rafîq!

*Hazâr in Eastern Persian :wink: Bar şumâ ham mubârak bâd!
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 14513
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-24, 0:15

That map is so weird. They correctly specify parts of Russia and China where Nowruz is celebrated but don't do the same for other countries for some reason. It's weird to me that they portray India (the whole country!) as celebrating Nowruz even though winter doesn't even exist south of Gujarat (and isn't even all that cold except up in the Himalayas, either) and Parsis in India are mainly concentrated in Gujarat and Mumbai AFAIK. There seem to be similar problems with claiming that Turkey, Syria, and Iraq celebrate it. I will concede that none of that is as weird as pretending all of Mongolia celebrates it, though, when apparently only one Kazakh-majority province bordering Kazakhstan does. :shock:


Return to “General Language Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests