Paleolinguistics

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Trapy
Paleolinguistics

Postby Trapy » 2015-11-25, 18:27

So I discovered a term that matches an interest of mine: Paleolinguistics. I have always been fascinated by the dead languages of indo European descent: Gothic, Thracian, Tocharian, etc. Most of these do not have much documentation.

Does any one have a place here, online or general direction to point someone interested in poorly documented ancient languages? I see unilang has picked up and I am hopeful that we can start something here, but I am very interested in learning the grammar, vocabulary, culture and relationship to other languages these present in a more scientific manner.
"and now every toilet will burn to ashes!""

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Paleolinguistics

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-11-25, 19:26

I think their Wikipedia articles may be a good starting point at least. There's plenty of stuff for Gothic (relatively speaking, at least), such as this set of lessons; see also here. There's also a set of lessons for Tocharian (A and B) here. Thracian is far more poorly documented than the other two, so for languages like that, I'm afraid you're probably not going to be able to find more than what the Wikipedia articles about them already say.

You might also want to look into the Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages forum here on UniLang if you haven't already.

Return to “General Language Forum”