I just had a question about morse code

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Alihandor
I just had a question about morse code

Postby Alihandor » 2015-10-17, 22:58

I know no other languages or sublanguages for that matter, I just have a question. If you are around something like morse code for so long do you eventually start hearing the language as words instead of dots and dashes? Being that we as human have the ability to process pretty fast, i.e. matches on the floor from a box. Once you are around something so long do you eventually start picking it up as a language. I know once you hang around something like Spanish for so long you start picking things up.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Re: I just had a question about morse code

Postby Dormouse559 » 2015-10-17, 23:20

Morse code isn't a language. It's just a means of encoding language, like writing. That's why it's called a "code". And I'm pretty sure the way to become "fluent" in Morse code is the same as learning to read and write; there has to be a conscious teaching process, whether that's learning it at school, or someone teaching themselves, or your parents reading you books written in Morse code when you were little.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Return to “General Language Forum”